Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 71 1.7L Engine Coming Out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
I purchased this car on ebay sight unseen. Engine was not running body is in great shape. With some help of this board I was able to get the engine to run and idle although it was still a little rough. At least I know the engine is not total crap. smile.gif

My intention from the beginning was to pull the engine at least to check it out and clean it up. Since I did get it to run I wanted to at least drive it around the block. All I here from my wife is how fun they are to drive. driving-girl.gif Well it wasn't meant to be. The clutch is history so the engine is coming out.

I have some experience with type IV engines from a 74 VW Bus. Had that one out a few times. I have the Haynes manual and have checked out the online guides for taking the engine out so I should have no problem with that.

Just looking for advice from experience as to special things I should look for and do while I have that thing out.

Thanks for all your input. rocking nana.gif
Joe Ricard
4 bolts, couple of wires, shift rod. gas lines, cv's. The manual has a fair procedure but the tech article on PP has detail enough that my son at 16 yrs old pulled his in 3 hours. BY HIMSELF
seanery
we used the pelican furniture dolly method. It worked pretty well.
McMark
The pre-release 914Club engine drop tech article.

http://www.914world.com/members/markd/tech...nginedrop2.html
SLITS
Nicer if you have a second person to watch for hoses/wires hanging up as you drop it out. If it's only the clutch, you don't have to drop it.
jr91472
Prepare yourself for the "hmmm while I am in here....." desease. Slippery slope...know what i mean?

have fun
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Aug 26 2004, 11:08 AM)
The pre-release 914Club engine drop tech article.

http://www.914world.com/members/markd/tech...nginedrop2.html

nice article smilie_pokal.gif
machina
I've done 2 engine drops, so here's a couple tips from a real amateur. smile.gif

*degrease motor first, top and bottom, easier to see stuff and to work on
*there may only be 4 bolts, but all of mine were either rusted in place or sheared off
*check your motor mounts, on both cars I found them broken in half which means the motor was basically just sitting in there free of attachment.
*last but not least, you may need a sledge hammer. smash.gif

have fun...
dr
fiid
I agree with the degreasing thing.

Somone recommended getting the whole underside of the car steam cleaned before going anywhere near it. It's good advice. It's much easier when the car actually runs.

It's easy to break the motormounts by resting the engine on it's mount bar and pushing it forward or backwards once it's out.

First time I had my motor out I did the clutch, painted the engine tin, cleaned some stuff up. I think I put in the pertronix that time as well. The clutch is not a hard job.

Good luck.

Fiid.
SteveSr
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Aug 26 2004, 10:14 AM)
Prepare yourself for the "hmmm while I am in here....." desease. Slippery slope...know what i mean?

have fun

agree.gif Slippery slope INDEED!!! the more I read this board the more I find to fix/modify... sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

SteveSr beer.gif
Rhodes71/914
If it's only the clutch, you don't have to drop it.

So far as I can tell the clutch is the only major probelm but this has already happened to me -

I just can't help myself, I am dying to at least clean it up. Plus when I was checking out the spark plug on #2 I pulled out a little bit of shredded wire that I happened to see laying on top of the head, who knows what else could be under that engine tin. huh.gif
charlesmac
Well if you're like i was the first time i crawled into the engine compartment, it'll be a good time for reflection as you sit and look at every nook and cranny, tryin to get aquainted with your new baby! clap56.gif That's the best time to check everything you can put your hands and eyes on, wires, hoses, cables, rust, it's alot easier to get to all that with the motor pulled. I would often find myself looking for excuses to crawl back under there just to find more stuff i need to work on. Slippery slope indeed!!!

charles
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.