Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome team
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2
ConeDodger
Hi everyone! Let's get this party started.

Ken Schipper has been informed of the password and will be joining us soon.

FYI; the autocross is the two day PCA event at Marina. We will need to make contact with the organizers and make sure they can accomodate.

BBQ to welcome and a second send-off BBQ on Saturday night?

I have asked Ken to work on t-shirt design and I already have made contact for printing them. Ramble in the Dunes is the slogan I gave Ken. Mark and I agreed on that. Input from others is welcome.

Ken has volunteered to lead the tour drive which will take place Friday. He has ideas for several drives he has done in the past.

Ken had ideas for optional activities. For instance, anyone not wanting to autocross on Saturday could take an organized drive up to Bruce Canepa's shop where they can ogle the Lufthansa 914GT.

Other ideas I had were to go to the aquarium, Pebble Beach, 17 Mile drive etc...

Cost estimate for registration purposes, $10 for each of two BBQ's $10 for included t-shirt, $8 for included name badge Which leaves us at $38.00. Add $12 to make it an even $50 so we can rent propane heaters for the parking lot and we will also have the added cushion of extra t-shirt sales.

I'd say we can open registration at $50 as soon as Brett (who has agreed to be treasurer once again) establishes an account.
ConeDodger
Proposed schedule:

Thursday evening Welcome BBQ at 6PM
(Catered and included in registration)

Friday 9:14am gather in the parking lot for tours
tour #1 goes with Ken Schipper and returns around 3pm (meals are OOP)
tour #2 goes to Monterey Bay Aquarium and returns around 3pm (meals are OOP)
4pm gather in the parking lot for People's Choice viewing
Late night drinking and carrying on

Saturday autocrossers leave early for Marina autocross site. Anyone who wants to watch should be cautioned that the site is closed and they will only be able to enter and leave at certain times. Registration and lunch are OOP.
Tour #1 to Bruce Canepa's Shop gathers at 9:14am (meals are OOP)
Tour #2 17 Mile Drive with stop at Pebble Beach golf course gathers at 9:14am (meals are OOP)
6pm gather in the parking lot for BBQ and awards...

Sunday travel day or optional day 2 autocrossing.
McMark
Sounds perfect. I kinda think we should bump registration to $65. I think it's a reasonable amount, and I prefer to have the cushion. I'll see if I can find a catering co to do the BBQing. I'd like to have those numbers available before we announce anything.

And an unrelated thought. The 'awards'/raffle always seems to be a long drawn out production. And it seems a little overblown to be calling people to come up and get their Pelican Parts sticker. Then there is the usual, "Joe Sharp wins another set of new calipers." Perhaps we should change it up this year. Have a prize table and call names until the 'big items' are gone, then call people up 5 at a time for the last few items. And while the fives are picking we can talk about other things in the mean time. Maybe I'm overthinking something simple. laugh.gif
biosurfer1
You think people will bitch (of course they will) that both days there are 2 options for a drive?

I like having an option for one of the days if people would rather not autox, but a full group drive would be nice for pictures, etc. My only other concern is 9am-3pm for both drives? 6 hours seems a bit long for my taste, but I guess anyone can break off if they want.

Besides that, sounds fun. Mark's idea for the awards works for me.
ConeDodger
Think more along the lines of two 2 hour drives. Gathering time is 9:14am with pull out of the parking lot more like 10am or so. Lunch stop on the drive because there has been bitching about no bathroom breaks in the past.

We should offer options for local attractions for people who bring family and don't want car things all the time... Besides it will shut Andy up. smile.gif
Borderline
Hi. Rob has asked me to coordinate with PCA for the AX events and I'll help out as much as I can. That weekend is obviously a 2-day event with GGR hosting on Sat and LPR hosting on Sunday. I will let the AX teams know to expect extra entries. Registration for both events can be done at :

Motorsports Registration

Advance registration usually closes a couple days before the event and there is usually a discount for PCA members. If you're not sure, and want to sign up the day of the event there may be an extra charge. So the charge for the each AX will be from $35 to $55 depending on membership and method of registration.

All Porsches are welcome at the AX whether they are PCA members or not. All people entering the site at Marina will have to sign a waiver. The gates are open from 7 am to about 5 or 6 pm. People can come or go as they please.

GGR usually has 3 run groups: run, work, rest. with no official stop for lunch. LPR usually has fewer entrants and has 2 run groups with a break for lunch. You have to "work" one session for each session you drive. You can drive one session in the morning and one session in the afternoon.

LPR typically will take lunch (sandwich) orders at registration and has them delivered. I think you're on your own with GGR...not sure though.

that's all I can think of for now

Bill
ConeDodger
Thanks Bill,
That's exactly what I am looking for...
ConeDodger
I was contacted by Jamie Rust yesterday. He should be contacting you Brett, they had about $700 left over from last year and want to transfer it when you get the accounting set up.
biosurfer1
ha...could have saved some time from last year when I transferred about the same amount to him:)
McMark
ha...could have saved some time from last year when I transferred about the same amount to him:)

av-943.gif

Sounds like we're making progress.
ConeDodger
Mark, did you get my message that Rich Bontempi wants to talk with one of us? He said HPH wants to make a presence at the event.
McMark
Yeah, I'll give him a call next week.
McMark
I called HPH. Rich Bontempi wants to be on the T-Shirt and any handouts we do. We should also open that option up to other shops as well. I'm gonna go look at what we spent on T-Shirts in Tahoe.

Looks like we spent about $1000 on shirts. What do we think about a $300 advertiser buy in, which could give us free shirts for people if we get three shops. On the other hand, I don't really want HPH to be the only shop on the shirt. idea.gif

I mentioned the BBQ to Trekkor, but I haven't heard back from him. I'll send him an email later this week and see if he's interested in doing it. If not I'll need to search out another caterer.
biosurfer1
I get the feeling if we offered the opportunity to be on the shirts to different shops, more than just HPH would be on them...good idea.

BTW, my dad is retired and lives in Santa Cruz so if we need anyone to pickup/drop off/something else that requires an "in person" deal, he said he could help out.
ConeDodger
I also asked Jim Dupree to ask his friend Andy if he was interested in doing a BBQ on Thursday and Saturday night. He has not gotten back to me...

jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 21 2012, 09:31 PM) *

I also asked Jim Dupree to ask his friend Andy if he was interested in doing a BBQ on Thursday and Saturday night. He has not gotten back to me...

I talked with Andy briefly on Sunday and he is interested but we did not have time to go into details or check his schedule.

Jim
jcd914
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 21 2012, 06:54 PM) *

I get the feeling if we offered the opportunity to be on the shirts to different shops, more than just HPH would be on them...good idea.

BTW, my dad is retired and lives in Santa Cruz so if we need anyone to pickup/drop off/something else that requires an "in person" deal, he said he could help out.

Personally, I don't care for shirts with advertisments on them, I like a shirt that represents the event.

Jim
ConeDodger
I agree with Jim. But whatever the group decides is fine with me.
ConeDodger
Brett, if you're ready with the Paypal account and Ken has the artwork done, we should go ahead and open up registration this week.
biosurfer1
I'm ready... paypal and gmail address is the same: 914wcr2012@gmail.com

I'll track everything the same as last time and start a continuing thread to update who has registered, etc.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 25 2012, 03:54 PM) *

I'm ready... paypal and gmail address is the same: 914wcr2012@gmail.com

I'll track everything the same as last time and start a continuing thread to update who has registered, etc.

Did you hook up with Jamie and get the extra fundage from 2011 in the tank? biggrin.gif
biosurfer1
No, I never heard from him. I'll PM him tonight
McMark
I guess that means I have to do some work... type.gif
ConeDodger
Yup... Open her up to registration.
McMark
Okay, time's running out and because of access issues with the server, I doubt I'll be able to get anything fancy done. And after thinking about it, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I don't think it's ever been helpful enough to warrant making the sign up form.

Let's just hand out the email address with payment info and amount.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 3 2012, 09:18 PM) *

Okay, time's running out and because of access issues with the server, I doubt I'll be able to get anything fancy done. And after thinking about it, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I don't think it's ever been helpful enough to warrant making the sign up form.

Let's just hand out the email address with payment info and amount.

Do it. Tomorrow should be fine. By the way in anticipation of utter failure of the new fuel pump and regulator improving anything (reverse jinxing) I plan on coming down Tuesday or so to pick it and the trailer up... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Don't forget to ask for T-shirt size and real name screen name for the name tags...
jcd914
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Feb 21 2012, 09:42 PM) *

I talked with Andy briefly on Sunday and he is interested but we did not have time to go into details or check his schedule.

Jim

Sorry I am slow getting back on this.
Andy is commeted to doing the meals for us.
Food crew will be Andy, mSharon (his wife), Mary (my wife) amd Myself.

We will neeed to know what you want in the way of meals so we can get a cost estimate or you can give us a cost and we can work a menu from that.

Jim

ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 4 2012, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Feb 21 2012, 09:42 PM) *

Jim

Sorry I am slow getting back on this.
Andy is commeted to doing the meals for us.
Food crew will be Andy, mSharon (his wife), Mary (my wife) amd Myself.

We will neeed to know what you want in the way of meals so we can get a cost estimate or you can give us a cost and we can work a menu from that.

Jim

Jim,
I think the opening night just burgers and potato salad and chips and soda and the Saturday night one, pulled pork just like he did previously at WCR 2010...
McMark
agree.gif
biosurfer1
In the registration thread, can we make sure they put their real name and screen name in the paypal payment. I will create a thread that keeps a running list of who has paid and last time i didnt have screen names or real names if they had their spouse or friend pay for them.

Jamie transferred the leftover money to me today...typical Paypal says it will be 3-5 business days but we should have ~$690 to start with if there are any deposits, etc to deal with. I'll update once I get the money in our account.
ConeDodger
Brett,
Make sure you list the paypal account info here so Mark can put together the registration...
Rob
biosurfer1
Post #20

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 5 2012, 06:38 PM) *

Brett,
Make sure you list the paypal account info here so Mark can put together the registration...
Rob

kenschipper
I have the artwork completed for the printers. Sorry for the delay but my wife's office was up against some serious corporate deadlines.

The EPS file is attached. I can send on other formats if necessary but this works for most printers. The file extension will need to be changes to .eps

I will also be working on a few routes for the weekend. I will structure them so that some can be combined in different ways.

Route 1 - Day Ride
Marina to Aroyyo Seco Campgrounds picnic area and back. Full day with lunch at the campgrounds. Bring your own lunch or we can arrange it and have it transported out our picked up when we start off in Marina. We can include a quick drive through of the SCCA races at Laguna Seca on the way out if there is no entry cost and time permits. This drive goes over Larules Grade (one of Road and Track's top 10 roads - only about 5 miles, but they are fun miles) It then head out Carmel Valley Rd. for about an hour of very fun two lane low traffice driving. Stop at Arroyo Seco (google arroyo Seco campgrounds for photos) Lunch here then back via river road to Marina. About 1 to 1 1/2 hours each way.

Route 2 - 1/2 to 1 day ride
Trip to Canepa Design in Scotts Valley just above Santa Cruz. One of the finest auto collections on the West Coast. They have the Luftanza (sp?) 914. We can arrange a personal tour and can usually get some time on the shop floor where you can view 10-15 vehicles being worked on (also the most prestine shop floor on the west coast.) There is a possiblity of seeing if Bruce Canepa might be availalbe to make a presentation, if not John on his staff usually does the larger tours. I believe he raced 914's years ago. Getting there and back is all freeway so it is not about the drive.

This tour can be extended up into the Santa Cruz mountains. Great driving up hear. Skyline Boulevard at the top extends north towards San Francisco. There are some sport where you can a good part of the Bay Area and then further on the Pacific. Great roads but you have to keep an eye out for motorcyclists (of the ambulances heading out to scrape them off of the landscape.) The tour would head north and then descend down to the Pacific through the town of Pescadero. Could have a late lunch here (there is a deli) and then head back down Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz and then Marina. Would get back around 3:00 PM

Route 3 1/2 to 1 day

Can include one of all of the following.

Pebble Beach 17 mile drive - I lived there for three years and know it well. Takes about a hour. The best way to do this and avoid the $9.00 entry fee is to find someone with a friend or relative who lives there and set it up to "visit" them.

Big Sur - about 33 miles south on Hwy 1. Nice ride but usually at the speed limit as there is a lot of traffice. Some of the best ocean view in the world. Could have lunch at Napenthe's and have one of the best $14.00 burger (or other fare) around. Having a lot of people ordering at Napenthe would take 1-2 hours as they cannot handle really large groups but if the group is around 15 it would work. Mabye good for Saturday or Sunday.

Tour of Don Orosco's shop. Located in Monterey. Don is a business man but lives to race. Currently has a Lotus and Lola (along with other cars being restored in his shop. At one time he owned all of the existing Scrabs (sp?) and then found the transporter that hauled them in the 60's and had it restored. Sold two of them to Donald Walton for a feeew million. A few years back he shipped his cars over to Spa in Belgum to take part in a historic race. As he and his son had never raced there he rented the track for a day so that they could practice. He can talk for hours on the cars he has found and restored (and not loose anyone's interest. The include Prosche 910's, 550's, 50's hot rods, Scrabs, and others that I cannot remember right now. He is a good friend and if timing works out would love to have us there. 1 to 3 hours.

Thats it for now. Will post some maps on the routes soon.

Ken
biosurfer1
I'm very interested in a Canapa visit. Always heard and seen great things about it online, I'm sure in person is even better.
ConeDodger
Thanks Ken! I will get to work on t-shirts...
ConeDodger
A question to the group... Rich Bontempi was attempting to become somewhat of a signature sponsor and wanted his name on stuff... This has not been recently done. Do we want to open up sponsor t-shirt names and such? I personally think it is too late and that most of our sponsors don't care.
biosurfer1
ya, getting a little late in the game. Maybe next year
ConeDodger
I'm having a little trouble with the artwork. On my screen, in Ken's post above it shows up as a .txt file. Mark managed to convert it to a .jpg file. I am unable to convert it on my pc. I suspect Ken originally sent it as a .eps which is what I need but my pc is being stubborn. The t-shirt place is going to try and convert it but I may need some help here...
Rob
ConeDodger
I think I have the t-shirt art sorted out...

I have found a volunteer for the day two drive to Canepa's shop. Peter, hydroliften will organize the tour of the shop and lead the tour to and from... Thank you Peter...
smilie_pokal.gif
hydroliftin
Hey Everybody,

I volunteered to organize the Saturday drive to Canepa Design. I'll be contacting them next week to set things up. I am thinking drivers meeting about 9:00 AM Saturday, then hit the road at 9:14. There are some interesting roads that can make up a two hour drive, or anyone can set their GPS to the end point at Canepa and get there in about half the time. We should all be at the shop by 11:00 - 11:30.

Highlights; CA-1 N; CA-156 E; Castroville Blvd; Elkhorn Rd; Main St Castroville,; Freedom Blvd.: White Rd.; CA-1 N; Soquel San Jose Rd.; Summit Rd; CA-17 S; and on to Canepa.

Lunch at Cafe Carlos 6016 Scotts Valley Dr, Scotts Valley, CA. Great Mexican food, generous portions, good value, vegetarian options, lots of parking.
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 15 2012, 09:33 AM) *

A question to the group... Rich Bontempi was attempting to become somewhat of a signature sponsor and wanted his name on stuff... This has not been recently done. Do we want to open up sponsor t-shirt names and such? I personally think it is too late and that most of our sponsors don't care.

Rich wanted in back in February.
I'm not a fan of sponsors on T shirts and I think since we have artwork for the shirts already we should leave them as is. (although I have seen event shirt where the sponsors are listed on the back with the design on the front)
Maybe there is a segment of the event Rich could sponsor and get his name out there with. Not sure how we would facilitate it but I would like to help any of our sponsors get there names out there so people know about them.

"Tech Sessions brought to you by HPH"
OR
"Saturday's Prime Rib Dinner sponsored by HPH"

I don't know just thinking out loud.

Jim
ConeDodger
I'm not a fan of leaving our grassroots approach to sponsors. They donate, we give it away and credit them on the site and in the giveaway... I say decline.
McMark
I agree that we're pretty much sponsor-free this year. I think if he wants to be like the other companies/vendors, he can donate parts for the raffle.
jcd914
If he wants to get noticed, the bigger the donations, the more attention he gets.

Jim
hydroliftin
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 27 2012, 02:42 PM) *

I agree that we're pretty much sponsor-free this year. I think if he wants to be like the other companies/vendors, he can donate parts for the raffle.

When I owned my Datsun Roadster I would go to a meet each year where one of the vendors would donate parts to the raffle and then buy up a majority of the raffle tickets and win his parts back. It was hillarious, but sometimes there were just not that many people buying the raffle tickets and the odds were good.
hydroliftin
I contacted Harlen, a VP at Laguna Secca, and he has offered to check into getting us a photo op on the track and has offered tix to ALMS and Ferrarri Days at the track. See his posts under the Garage "who wants to go" topic. Do you want me to follow up on these with him or is someone else handling the raffle/prize thing?

Also does Ken Schipper want to work Laguna Secca into the Saturday drive? Ken will you contact Harlen about the track?
ConeDodger
I contacted Harlen after he posted. I told him to contact McMark about donations. If we have to, I might be able to get Sierra-Nevada Region to insure us.

I have been referring people to McMark for donations. I am too remote and he has a business address so UPS and the like charge less for shipping.
McMark
I picked up some glassware for trophies.

I got one HUGE stein for a 'best of show' award. And I got six other standard pint glasses for other awards. I got some shot glasses too, but I think I'm going to use those myself. I can get more if we need to.

Let's pick the awards categories and I'll etch them into the design.

One thing I still like is ignoring engine. I dislike the Best 4 & Best 6 categories. But I'd like to hear what ya'll think.
McMark
And since I'm thinking about WCR. I'm still not sure what to do about the give-away prizes. We don't really have many that I can think of, and the only confirmed goodie is the wooden shift knob Vacca Rabite sent me. I assume Eric has some calipers. I assume Mark has some rubber. Other than that, I don't know of anything else.

I certainly don't think we have enough for the typical everyone gets something scenario. Thoughts?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.