Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The red ones are like crack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
914itis
What was wrong with the suspension? ... You need to derive it to Hershey .
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ Sep 30 2012, 10:36 PM) *

What was wrong with the suspension? ... You need to derive it to Hershey .

Needs typical rust repair. But so do I.

You need to drive it to Hershey . - I agree. Driving it the 9 miles to work in the mean time.
mittelmotor
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 30 2012, 07:30 PM) *

Car is back on the road with new bushings on the shifter and trans linkage, new mc and hard and soft lines on the brakes and a new chts. I procrastinated on the sensor since I was told it was a difficult job. Decided to hide the sensor wire in a long socket and changed the sensor in 2 minutes. (after removing FI parts). - And lowered the front end. Love driving it!

Looks great with the steelies. beerchug.gif When I first got my car, I was tempted to go that route, though I would've had them widened to 7".
mepstein
The more I drive it, the better it runs.
okieflyr
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 18 2012, 12:04 PM) *

By the time you and the car make down to the ECC it should be a supercar! poke.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Oct 18 2012, 06:52 PM) *

By the time you and the car make down to the ECC it should be a supercar! poke.gif

Umm, about that... umm...
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 18 2012, 10:01 PM) *

QUOTE(okieflyr @ Oct 18 2012, 06:52 PM) *

Umm, about that... umm...

Damnit Mark, bring the car down!! sad.gif
mepstein
Car has been taunting me with it's occasional rough running. Changed the fuel filter today. Tightened the hose clamp a little extra once the new fuel filter was on and the clamp blew up on me. Gas ran down my arm and stunk up the garage. Wife was pissed.

Found some barrel nut clamps at autozone to hold the heater wire on the heater flapper boxes. $2 for 1/2 dozen. Holes needed to be drilled out a bit to hold the solid end of the cable but the brass was easy to drill out bigger.

Didn't finish the job since the driver side cable tube is slightly corroded and wouldn't let the cable snake through. Going to put some larger cable on a drill to try and clean it out a bit. Can't wait to have heat!

Made up my mind to get a mid rise lift.
mepstein
Hooked up all the parts to get heat into the cabin. Everything works but the fan. Even without the fan, heat is nice.

Still running poorly at times dry.gif
914itis
Same thing 2 weeks ago, and after reading the bible, I noticed that the realay was missing. It is the last relay facing the rear of the car. If you stand by the wheel well net to the relay box , I think it is the lay one to the right.
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ Dec 20 2012, 10:08 PM) *

Same thing 2 weeks ago, and after reading the bible, I noticed that the realay was missing. It is the last relay facing the rear of the car. If you stand by the wheel well net to the relay box , I think it is the lay one to the right.

Did yours alternate between running well and poor? That's whats killing me. Running great, park it and an hour later it's a bucking bronco.
914itis
No, mine runs perfectly fine. I was referring to the blower motor.
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ Dec 20 2012, 11:25 PM) *

That makes sense. I will check - Thanks!
mepstein
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 20 2012, 11:27 PM) *

Checked - Relay is in place.
sfrenck
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 21 2012, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 20 2012, 11:27 PM) *

Checked - Relay is in place.

Switch it with another relay - may be bad.
914itis
Switch with headlight relay and make sure the ground wire is connected under the red pull lever.
mepstein
Pulled the engine
mepstein
The hell hole/engine shelf have seen better days. Someone tried to build a new one with copper plate, expanding foam and undercoating. sad.gif
914itis
Wow ! What's your plan for this one?
mepstein
My wife always complained about the gas smell from this car so while I had easy access the the fuel lines, I stripped all the old lines and prepped for stainless and new hose. As you can see from pic 2, the old braided lines had seen better days. They tore off with very little pressure. Also found that when the PO had redone the gas tank (good), he kinked the overflow hose and let the end sit inside the gas bulkhead (bad).
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ Mar 4 2013, 12:16 AM) *

Wow ! What's your plan for this one?

Hell hole is the only problem area that I can see on the car. I'll eventually have Scotty B do the proper repair and repaint back to orange.
hot_shoe914
Here you go Mark, another red one. Suppoedly a barn find with 47K miles on it. I will be going to check it out in about an hour. I know how you love the red ones.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/3686109698.html
914itis
The listing price should be $1500 less just for that spoiler .
mepstein
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 17 2013, 12:35 PM) *

Here you go Mark, another red one. Suppoedly a barn find with 47K miles on it. I will be going to check it out in about an hour. I know how you love the red ones.

Mine is 36K and much better condition.
I promised my wife no more 914's until I get this one and the one at Scotty B's running. She likes 914's, but doesn't like non running cars.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 17 2013, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 17 2013, 12:35 PM) *

Mine was 1/2 the price, 36K and much better condition.
I promised my wife no more 914's until I get this one and the one at Scotty B's running. She likes 914's, but doesn't like non running cars.

This one runs and drives. Once he sees my 2500.00 barn find (Betsy) I will hopefully have his price thinking in a much more realistic state of mind.
hot_shoe914
Okay Mark, you are safe. This was a respray and appears it was originally Olympic blue. Won't get into details but I think it is a 200-400 dollar parts car. Agood project car on the east coast, scrap on the west coast.

Yes, I DID get the vin# 4732922048
mepstein
I'm hoping to get this on the road for hershey. It's nothing like the pristine cars that other world members are bringing but it makes me smile when I drive it.
mepstein
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 17 2013, 05:17 PM) *

Okay Mark, you are safe. This was a respray and appears it was originally Olympic blue. Won't get into details but I think it is a 200-400 dollar parts car. Agood project car on the east coast, scrap on the west coast.

Yes, I DID get the vin# 4732922048

agree.gif I think the current owner realized they bought a junker and are trying to unload it. It's not that hard to make a type 4 engine run but that doesn't mean much in the big picture.
mepstein
Dropped engine
New fuel lines - rubber and SS
Vacuum hoses
Manifold seals
Injectors cleaned and new seals
Fuel filter
Changed oil
Changed trans fluid
New injector elbows
Alternator belt
OEM muffler to replace Bursch
Odds & ends
Reinstalled engine

Crossing fingers that it starts and runs without the previous hesitation.
914itis
Good luck, ...... I am standing by for the results.
mepstein
I was ready to start it last night but realized the insurance had lapsed and I'm not turning the key until I have confirmation it is reinstated.
mepstein
Drove it around the block last night. Engine is sounding good. OEM muffler sounds good. Didn't have a problem with engine hesitation. I hope that problem is solved.

Wife commented that the garage didn't smell like gas - priceless!

The headlight issue is new so that's next on the list.
mepstein
Thinking about a marriage...
914itis
Snowing in PA?
mepstein
to get a good price, you always want to go after the ads that have been around forever, not the ones that are new with unrealistic prices. this one has a salvage title which will help bring down the price.
mepstein
I want what's inside the metal wrapper.

Heat, air, modern, cheap. and a matching 5 speed manual trans.
914itis
Looks like the feever is moving east.
okieflyr
Looks like fun smile.gif Beware: It is a slippery slope........
mepstein
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jul 18 2013, 07:57 PM) *

I want a car that can take a real road trip.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 18 2013, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jul 18 2013, 07:57 PM) *

I want a car that can take a real road trip.

Buy Betsy!

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Road trip, not off-road trip driving.gif

Already did the carbs thing and I want a/c.
okieflyr
I hear ya, A/C for my car has been getting well recieved by the wife👍👍
mepstein
Decided to keep this car all original so now it's time to fix a couple things before Hershey. At one time, mice had lived above the fuse panel and though they didn't chew any wires, the panel is pretty ugly with rust and corrosion. Bought a spare from Garold so I can make the switch one wire at a time. Garold's sold me a nice part but I wanted all the contact points to be clean. I poured some white vinager into a Tupperware container (don't tell my wife) and dropped the fuse holder in. One hour later I rinsed and dried. It's exactly what I wanted.
mepstein
After the cheap paint job done years ago, the trim was installed half assed. I pulled the rear trunk lock out that had been glued into the body with construction adhesive. The lock cam was broken and a small machine screw inserted to trip the lock. I found an old lock and rebuilt it with the lock mech from the car. Ordered a new inner seal and cam from Tweet.
mepstein
I switched over the fuse panel but the headlights still don't work. Originally they stopped retracting down once up, then the lights stopped working. I replaced the headlight switch. Still no lights but they will go up and I can dim the lights in the gauge cluster. The fogs do work if the headlight switch is on. Any ideas?
orthobiz
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 27 2012, 02:40 PM) *

(

When I was in HS or College I would've died if my Dad bought/gave me a 914! drooley.gif

... of course they were new then, Dad wasn't rich & I was a struggling student working my way through college - ergo a 3 year old used 73 2L a year+ out of school was the best I could swing! biggrin.gif

I had a 2000 dollar budget in 1975, bought my 1971 Signal Orange 1.7 and have been hooked since then.

Paul
mepstein
Got the proper bolts for the Fuchs and made the switch. The car sits 3/4" lower and handles great.
mepstein
Cleaned up the Fuchs. Not new but not bad for a 40 year old wheel.
mepstein
Now
mepstein
My wife thought I paid for a personalized/vanity tag. I didn't. It was just luck of the drawl that I got this one smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.