Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group Buy for 4 channel CHT Gauge Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mrbubblehead
i found a cool angled mounting plate for the gauge. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpa...angledmount.php
falconfp2001
QUOTE(rwilner @ Apr 5 2012, 06:34 AM) *

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Apr 4 2012, 09:36 PM) *

Just purchased online the panel for mounting the gauge. Hopefully everything is timely.

which one did you get?

I got the three panel that you listed earlier. they show a single and a double on the site so we will see what they send. I'll mount a single on top of the tunnel or maybe the double off the ashtray mount where I have the O2 gauge. I'll have to make a plug for the O2 gauge to fit the larger hole but I think Aircraft Spruce may sell that also.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Apr 5 2012, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(rwilner @ Apr 5 2012, 06:34 AM) *

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Apr 4 2012, 09:36 PM) *

Just purchased online the panel for mounting the gauge. Hopefully everything is timely.

which one did you get?

I'll have to make a plug for the O2 gauge to fit the larger hole but I think Aircraft Spruce may sell that also.

they do. they make an adapter. i saw it when i was browsing.
rwilner
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Apr 5 2012, 01:15 PM) *

i found a cool angled mounting plate for the gauge. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpa...angledmount.php

I saw this thing too. This reduces the 3 1/8" opening to a 2 1/4" opening, so it won't place our new CHT gauges at an angle the way I think you're expecting.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(rwilner @ Apr 5 2012, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Apr 5 2012, 01:15 PM) *

I saw this thing too. This reduces the 3 1/8" opening to a 2 1/4" opening, so it won't place our new CHT gauges at an angle the way I think you're expecting.

your right, thanks. i need to call and cancel. dont know how i missed that.
falconfp2001
How hard is it to remove tin with the engine in?
rnellums
No cake walk, But it can be done. Of course last time I did it the engine had carbs, and i didn't care about scratching the cooling tin or bending it a bit...
rwilner
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Apr 5 2012, 03:47 PM) *

How hard is it to remove tin with the engine in?

having done this recently I think it would probably take less time to remove the engine to remove the tin than to attempt tin removal with the engine installed...especially if you still have the slotted cheeseheads. You are guaranteed to strip at least one.

Removing the engine is no big deal. The challenge is putting it back in...not because reinstallation is tough, but because when the engine is out, you're going to find 10,000 other things to do!

"While I'm in there" -- the 4 scariest words for any teener owner.

Just my opinion biggrin.gif

Jake Raby
You guys are blowing this one up way bigger than it needs to be. Its not that difficult to do at all.
ww914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 6 2012, 06:46 AM) *

You guys are blowing this one up way bigger than it needs to be. Its not that difficult to do at all.

Maybe not for the experienced guy who has done it many times, but it might be a challenge to the first timer. I have dropped mine twice now and installed it once. I think I would opt to drop it for the tin thing.

And yes, figure on doing many other things if you drop the engine. That is an absolute for sure statement.
Jake Raby
Its just common sense and patience. If you lack both of those, I'd not even try it.
VaccaRabite
On the 3/4 side, as mentioned, you can run through the existing hole for the CHT, which should have a grommet in place already. This is how I did mine when I was only probing #3. The 1/2 side going under may be best - I trust Chris on that. As I have not done it yet I can't say the best way.

If you engine is dropped, this is really easy.

My heads are off already, so I will do a little grinding to make install and removal easier. #3 already had this done, not hard at all. In the past I have removed that washer from the spark plug on the sensor plug. I don't know that you HAVE to do it, but I did.
rwilner
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 6 2012, 10:50 AM) *

Its just common sense and patience. If you lack both of those, I'd not even try it.

Jake
What are you talking about? Not try what?
jsayre914
Got word from MGL yesterday, they said our order will be shipped within the next 10 days or less sad.gif They are a little behind.

Looks like it pushes us back a week headbang.gif

Stay positive. He did say "or less" biggrin.gif

p.s. The order for the gauges was placed 3/22/12 and paid in full
falconfp2001
Just got my Panel mount for the gauge from Aircraft Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpa...instpnlbrkt.php

Here are some picks of it. It is a single gauge panel. I don't know exactly how I'm going to mount it but I may just mount it off the ash tray.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Apr 6 2012, 12:00 PM) *

Just got my Panel mount for the gauge from Aircraft Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpa...instpnlbrkt.php

Here are some picks of it. It is a single gauge panel. I don't know exactly how I'm going to mount it but I may just mount it off the ash tray.

Anyone know where I can get the CHT grommet?
Rand
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Apr 6 2012, 12:03 PM) *

Anyone know where I can get the CHT grommet?

Any decent hardware store. Just measure the hole diameter. Doesn't need to have a Porsche part# tongue.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/180-piece-har...-set-67582.html
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 6 2012, 09:15 AM) *

Got word from MGL yesterday, they said our order will be shipped within the next 10 days or less sad.gif They are a little behind.

mine is on back order also.
ww914
....or you can get almost any size grommet you want from these guys
VaccaRabite
The CHT grommet is special and has a little flap to keep in the cooling air.
Porschef
Ok, all this being said, can a CHT gauge sensor be attached to the CHT sender instead of under the spark plug? Would there be any loss of accuracy?

Just a thought.

I have a Dakota Digital that only reads one cyl temp.

Joe
rnellums
I dont think that would work. The gauge is likely made up for a specific sender ( like a k type thermocouple) and you will get strange results wIth anything different.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Porschef @ Apr 7 2012, 02:38 PM) *

Ok, all this being said, can a CHT gauge sensor be attached to the CHT sender instead of under the spark plug? Would there be any loss of accuracy?

Just a thought.

I have a Dakota Digital that only reads one cyl temp.

Joe

Yes, I have measured up to a 100F difference between the spark plug and an adjacent CHT boss in real time, data logged..

During my cooling system testing carried out from 2002-05 I had as many as 16 CHT sensors on the same engine, all feeding into one data logger and 4 different CHT gauges. What I found was unless the CHT sensor was under the plug, it was virtually worthless to even have due to the huge differentials in temperature.

After observing this I'd consider a CHT mounted in any other location a total waste of time, remember just one degree makes the difference- thats no exaggeration.

My old test gear...
IPB Image

IPB Image

My new test gear.
IPB Image
Porschef
Wow. Thanks Jake, that's pretty damn impressive. So under the plug it goes.....

I will snake the lead through the hole in the tin that's cut for the CHT sender. I do imagine that the eye of the temp sender has to be bent at a right angle so the lead can ride up right alongside the plug. Ideally, I'd think that the sender eye would go between the plug and it's washer, but like Zach has done, I'll probably just remove the spark plug's washer and install.

VaccaRabite
I think all the stock CHT did was tell the FI computer that the engine was warm. It did not do actual monitoring like why we are setting up to do.
ww914

Joseph - Any word on a delivery date yet?
jsayre914
QUOTE(ww914 @ Apr 16 2012, 11:15 AM) *

Joseph - Any word on a delivery date yet?

Just called the vendor, he will check on shipping, tracking, etc. He said he will get back to me today.

I will let you guys know as soon as I hear from him.
I am excited to install this baby on my new 2056 aktion035.gif driving.gif
jsayre914
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

UPS tracking # 1Z1893070397237957

Scheduled to be delivered on Friday, 04/20.

That means I can get everything shipped out Monday
ww914
Great news Joseph. I can hardly wait to get started.
jsayre914
just sent a pm to everyone on the list. Please check your pm and verify your address. I dont want any of these kits to go astray. I should have them tomorrow and if all goes well i may be shipping tomorrow depending on the time they are deliverd and how busy i am at work.

The very latest would be monday (as long as they get here) boldblue.gif
jsayre914
Dont hate the player.....

(just checked the tracking number) no kits for us yet
Rand
Joseph I have to give you props. Delays in group buys are common. But you are keeping everyone in the loop on a regular basis. That helps stave off the concerns. I wish all the group-buy suppliers handled it like you. I'm having my frustrations with the polar opposite on another one right now, so I just felt like you should get a kudo.
smilie_pokal.gif
falconfp2001
Joseph definitely needs props for this buy. smilie_pokal.gif
Normally I would be worried about the time line but since I'm getting regular updates, everything's golden.

Thanks
rwilner
agree.gif Great job Joseph!
jsayre914
TOUCHDOWN !!!
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
rwilner
Wow that thing is a monster. I'll be interested to see how we all decide to mount it.

I, for one, am tired of looking down at my center console to check CHT, so I'm definitely leaning toward some type of ashtray mount.
jsayre914
these went out last thursday, the day after i recieved them. keep an eye out
USPS

drunk.gif
Thanks Guys
rnellums
got mine!
Jake Raby
It arrived yesterday.
rwilner
I got mine too, thanks Joe

Anyone install theirs yet?? Let's see some installed pics!

popcorn[1].gif
falconfp2001
got mine, I'll take a pick of the panel and gauge. Still don't know where I'm mounting it but I'll think of something.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 1 2012, 07:50 AM) *

got mine, I'll take a pick of the panel and gauge. Still don't know where I'm mounting it but I'll think of something.

rwilner
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 3 2012, 02:08 AM) *

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 1 2012, 07:50 AM) *

FYI, I think the gauge is supposed to go behind the panel and not in front of it -- the gauge has threaded inserts in the holes
jsayre914
I have been waiting to follow up with everybody.

Are we all good ??

bye1.gif
zig-n-zag
You did a great job leading this Group Buy Joseph!

I'm planning to mount the guage in-dash where the vent controls
used to be, below the ashtray, somewhere around there...

Mahalo and Aloha,
Jeff

jsayre914
QUOTE(zig-n-zag @ May 16 2012, 05:51 PM) *

You did a great job leading this Group Buy Joseph!

Glad it made it across the ocean with no problems
beerchug.gif

and thanks for the compliment. now I just need my engine back togeather to try it out biggrin.gif
Bills914-4
Got mine , thank you smile.gif , here's few pic's with the vdo pod & a location I'm thinking
about ?
Bills914-4
QUOTE(WLD419 @ Mar 21 2012, 09:23 PM) *

I'm thinking maybe a 3 1/8 vdo gage mounting cup ,

http://compare.ebay.com/like/310359709524?...es&var=sbar

I see that the price went up , almost double dry.gif (i paid $65.00)
Here's another source Bill D.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...VDO%2D240%2D102
rwilner

icon_bump.gif Any mounted pics yet?

It will be awhile before I get mine mounted as I'm waiting until my 2056 install to implement this.
jsayre914
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 24 2012, 10:56 AM) *

icon_bump.gif Any mounted pics yet?

It will be awhile before I get mine mounted as I'm waiting until my 2056 install to implement this.

I am waiting for a car to put it in also

sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.