Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group Buy for 4 channel CHT Gauge Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Bills914-4
I would like to get in on the group buy ? I'll send the money when I get home from work ! what is the payment process ? maybe I missed it , in reading this thread confused24.gif thank you Bill D. I'll reread the whole thread again
jsayre914
UPDATE

1) jsayre914

2) ww914

3) rwilner

4) rnellums

5) Vacca Rabite

6) falconfp2001

7) Racer Chris

8) Jake Raby

9) plas76targa

10) zig-n-zag

11) WLD419

This group buy closes tonight. You can still add your name to the list.

type.gif
VaccaRabite
Payment sent.

Zach
Bills914-4
PM answered , Payment sent , thank you Bill D.
rwilner
where are people planning to mount this beast?

My center console is already pretty packed...I was thinking of maybe making a mount in the ashtray somehow.
rnellums
I was thinking about building a bracket to hold it where the heater controls used to be in my race car. Or building a three gauge holder that would fit right above the top of the dash pad, above the speedo, but not mounted to it. I like the idea of it being easy to see.
Jake Raby
Paid.
VaccaRabite
It's going to have to go in the console area, or a big change in the dash.
I'll probably put mine where the radio used to be since I don't have a radio in my car. Or build a simple console since my car does not have one.
jsayre914
UPDATE

1) jsayre914 PAID

2) ww914 PAID

3) rwilner PAID

4) rnellums PAID

5) Vacca Rabite PAID

6) falconfp2001 PAID

7) Racer Chris PENDING

8) Jake Raby PAID

9) plas76targa PENDING

10) zig-n-zag PENDING

11) WLD419 PAID

This group buy is closed

We are sooooo close guys piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 21 2012, 01:36 PM) *

It's going to have to go in the console area, or a big change in the dash.
I'll probably put mine where the radio used to be since I don't have a radio in my car. Or build a simple console since my car does not have one.

Zach
I also have no radio...what are you thinking for the radio? I think the opening is only 2" tall, so unless you're willing to do some significant surgery, that location seems challenging.
rwilner
for anyone looking to plan their install...

dimensional drawing
falconfp2001
I'm thinking of making a simple L bracket that will bolt to the top of the center tunnel on the floor. Or, just under the dash would be great but I'd prefer some kind of bracket that pushes it out from under without cutting the pad. I can then tie it in to my future touch screen display install.
Bills914-4
QUOTE(rwilner @ Mar 21 2012, 02:26 PM) *

dimensional drawing

I'm wondering if the back side is round 3.110 or is it square , I'm guessing it's round confused24.gif , thanks Bill D.
Jake Raby
I decided to install mine into the 356 instead of the dyno..
Whats the tentative ETA on delivery of these?
jsayre914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 21 2012, 06:55 PM) *

I was hoping to have orderd today everything, but am still waiting on 3 payments. Being the impatient guy that I am.... I went ahead and figured out that the gauges would take about 2 weeks to ship out, and the sensors would take less time, so..

I went ahead and orderd the gauges today cheer.gif and I am now hoping to have payment from the last 3 people by friday. That way I will not have to lay out any cash dry.gif and we will get the gauges and sensors at the same time.

Long story short.

I am hoping to have everything to me and ready to ship to you in two weeks

first.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(WLD419 @ Mar 21 2012, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(rwilner @ Mar 21 2012, 02:26 PM) *

dimensional drawing

I'm wondering if the back side is round 3.110 or is it square , I'm guessing it's round confused24.gif , thanks Bill D.

I did a google image search and found this, doesnt look like our gauge, but prolly close to the same thing
falconfp2001
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 21 2012, 03:55 PM) *

I'd like to see how you mount it. popcorn[1].gif
ChrisFoley
It mounts from behind, using screws at the corners from the front.
The round lip on the front face is what centers it in the hole in your panel.
ww914
I was thinking just right of the Emergency Flasher switch. I know the fuse panel is behind there. I just don't like the idea of hacking up the console.
Bills914-4
I'm thinking maybe a 3 1/8 vdo gage mounting cup ,

http://compare.ebay.com/like/310359709524?...es&var=sbar

Jake Raby
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Mar 21 2012, 03:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 21 2012, 03:55 PM) *

I'd like to see how you mount it. popcorn[1].gif

In the hole that the previous owner drilled for an EGT gauge right in the factory dash. The hole is already appropriately sized.. This was a race car for 4 decades and its an outlaw, so I am not concerned.
rwilner
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 21 2012, 07:07 PM) *

I did a google image search and found this, doesnt look like our gauge, but prolly close to the same thing

This is the same housing. MGL uses this housing for about 15 different instruments -- same display, same case, different guts.
rwilner
QUOTE(ww914 @ Mar 21 2012, 08:32 PM) *

I was thinking just right of the Emergency Flasher switch. I know the fuse panel is behind there. I just don't like the idea of hacking up the console.

Wouldn't you have to hack up the dash to make this work?

"Hacking up" the console face is no big -- easy to make a replacement face, it's just 1/8" plywood with padded vinyl over it.
ww914
Rich

What I meant was that unless all three guages on the console were the same diameter, it might look a little odd. Just thinking out loud. Won't know until I get the guage and the console.
rwilner
I think some combination of this thing and the ashtray will be my strategy
falconfp2001
QUOTE(rwilner @ Mar 22 2012, 11:06 AM) *

Good Find, I think I can work with that somehow But I want the single or double and it looks like they only have the triple.
jsayre914
QUOTE(WLD419 @ Mar 21 2012, 09:23 PM) *

I'm thinking maybe a 3 1/8 vdo gage mounting cup ,

http://compare.ebay.com/like/310359709524?...es&var=sbar

I am not so sure this square face gauge would fit a mount like this, and if it did im not so sure how it would look. Looks very cool though idea.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Mar 22 2012, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(rwilner @ Mar 22 2012, 11:06 AM) *

Good Find, I think I can work with that somehow But I want the single or double and it looks like they only have the triple.

My plan is to cut it in half or thirds smile.gif
jsayre914
UPDATE

1) jsayre914 PAID

2) ww914 PAID

3) rwilner PAID

4) rnellums PAID

5) Vacca Rabite PAID

6) falconfp2001 PAID

7) Racer Chris PENDING

8) Jake Raby PAID

9) plas76targa PENDING

10) zig-n-zag PAID

11) WLD419 PAID

This group buy is closed

I am now waiting on 2 more payments

beerchug.gif beer3.gif

Thanks again guys
falconfp2001
No real rush for me as I ordered a seperate CHT for my MS install and it already arrived.
Jake Raby
I can't believe that you still have people that haven't paid! Actually, I can because I know how group buys go and I commend you for putting this together and dealing with it.

If someone ends up not paying I'll buy two to help the group out.. I have plenty of applications for them. :-0
jsayre914
Still waiting on 2 payments as of today, but I did however lay out the cash on friday shades.gif so no worries there for you guys. thanks for the offer Jake

I am guessing I will have everything by Good Friday April 6

I should be able to put these kits togeather within the same day, or at worst the next day.

popcorn[1].gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 26 2012, 01:25 PM) *

Still waiting on 2 payments as of today,

I'm really surprised you didn't receive mine in the mail by Friday.
I paid extra for the peace of mind that it would be delivered on time.
headbang.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 26 2012, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 26 2012, 01:25 PM) *

Still waiting on 2 payments as of today,

I'm really surprised you didn't receive mine in the mail by Friday.
I paid extra for the peace of mind that it would be delivered on time.
headbang.gif

If I can help Chris, let me know

beerchug.gif
jsayre914
UPDATE

1) jsayre914 PAID

2) ww914 PAID

3) rwilner PAID

4) rnellums PAID

5) Vacca Rabite PAID

6) falconfp2001 PAID

7) Racer Chris PENDING

8) Jake Raby PAID

9) plas76targa PAID

10) zig-n-zag PAID

11) WLD419 PAID

This group buy is closed

just wanted to update the thread, I got 1 more check today cheer.gif

and the last check was deliverd to the wrong addy, but its on its way back to me smoke.gif

Joseph
jsayre914
UPDATE

1) jsayre914 PAID

2) ww914 PAID

3) rwilner PAID

4) rnellums PAID

5) Vacca Rabite PAID

6) falconfp2001 PAID

7) Racer Chris PAID

8) Jake Raby PAID

9) plas76targa PAID

10) zig-n-zag PAID

11) WLD419 PAID

Everyone is paid !!

shades.gif
jsayre914
We Have Sensors !!

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Now I need to check the status of our gauges beerchug.gif beer3.gif
falconfp2001
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 4 2012, 10:58 AM) *

We Have Sensors !!

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Now I need to check the status of our gauges beerchug.gif beer3.gif

Can you post detailed pics of the ring and sensor? I tried to fit one of these recently and found that the Sensor was to close to the ring to fit under the spark plug correctly on my 1.7 heads. The tab needs to be able to bend upward without separating or compressing where the sensor is attached to the ring.
jsayre914
I would hope that is not a problem, but a great point. I will try to test out on my engine tonight, but I just finished dressing the motor and I do not want to dissasemble the tin at this point. I am not sure if these pics will help but herya go

beerchug.gif

Worst case: They dont work, the gauges never show up and I refund all the money blink.gif

I think we are good smile.gif

p.s. Anybody have a head layin around, or a pic of one of these installed??

Jake Raby
These are the exact same sensors that I use with my data logger on TIV engines. They are a tight fit on a bone stock head, but they will work. In a perfect world a small passage is filed in the head that allows the sensor to be fitted at a reduced angle. This is not required in my experience.
mrbubblehead
would it help to remove the crush ring from the spark plug?
ChrisFoley
Here's what I've done on 1.7/1.8L heads.

I modified an old spark plug to fill the hole while I use a carbide burr to make a relief cut in the head.
Click to view attachment

Bend the sensor carefully to sit/stay in the pocket.
Click to view attachment

Much better to install the sensors under the tin rather than through the spark plug hole.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 4 2012, 04:19 PM) *

Here's what I've done on 1.7/1.8L heads.

I modified an old spark plug to fill the hole while I use a carbide burr to make a relief cut in the head.
Click to view attachment

Bend the sensor carefully to sit/stay in the pocket.
Click to view attachment

Much better to install the sensors under the tin rather than through the spark plug hole.

I thought this might have to happen. Removing tin is going to be the way to go then blink.gif

falconfp2001
Just purchased online the panel for mounting the gauge. Hopefully everything is timely.
rwilner
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Apr 4 2012, 09:36 PM) *

Just purchased online the panel for mounting the gauge. Hopefully everything is timely.

which one did you get?
rwilner
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 4 2012, 07:19 PM) *

I have my #3 single CHT installed through the tin and it's a pain in the balls every time I need to change that spark plug...the thought of doing it to all 4 makes me sad.

Chris
Would the procedure be pretty much the same for a 2.0L head? Also, any issues with the ring coming unseated when you change spark plugs?
ww914
I don't have my engine here at this time to speak very clear about my idea, but here it is. I was thinking of making a hole, big enough to put the sensor through the tin, someplace near the spark plug hole, so I can see all the action when I am installing the spark plug/sensor. Of course, there would be an appropriate size grommet in the new hole.

And, thanks to Chris for posting the pictures of the need to modify the spark plug hole to make the sensor fit relatively flat.

One other question. I assume the sensor goes against the head, then the washer, then the plug?
rnellums
So it looks like to really do the install properly, we should remove the tin and perhaps grind the head just a tad for the lead?
rwilner
QUOTE(ww914 @ Apr 5 2012, 10:48 AM) *

Of course, there would be an appropriate size grommet in the new hole.

You'll need some type of grommet that covers and seals the hole.

The seal between the spark plug wire "skirt" and the tin is important so that the cooling air flows over the head and doesn't dump out uselessly into the engine bay.
mrbubblehead
on my last engine, i used the stock cht hole, but i was only reading one cylinder. and i used a quick disconnect and just unpluged it for engine removals. but this time since i will be reading all four, i am going to notch the cyilinder head, so the ring terminal sits flat under the spark plug and maybe put a dab of jbweld to hold the wire in place. then notch the tin near each side of th intake manifold. and since cold junction is not a problem with this instrument, i will probly use the disconnects again. they work good for engine removal and ring terminal replace ment, i figure the less i disturb the ring term the less it is prone to damage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.