Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group Buy for 4 channel CHT Gauge Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
jsayre914
Well, after speaking with the Owner, founder of MGL this is the absolute best price we are gonna get. If anybody wants this gauge, now is the time to let me know. I will leave this thread till Monday and we will see if we have any takers.

$375.00

Click to view attachment

price includes.
  1. MGL Avionics TC-2 Thermocouple Temperature Display
  2. 4pcs CHT sensor for 14mm plug, type K, 10 foot ea
We need at least 10 complete kits to make this happen. I will check the thread on Monday and if we are GO, I will shoot out pm's with shipping to each party interested. I will then ship each unit myself. The manufacture said it will take 2 - 3 weeks to ship out. I have no expierence with this gauge, and if you guys need to see it in action, Cant help you. I will be purchasing one for myself smile.gif

Thread that started this GROUP BUY

TC-2 Manual

The CHT Sensor

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
ww914
I'm in and thanks for doing it. I think this will be a good set-up.
keske968
Will it show temp in F as well or just C?
jsayre914
QUOTE(keske968 @ Mar 16 2012, 06:57 PM) *

Will it show temp in F as well or just C?

YES smile.gif

rwilner
In for 1.
rnellums
in for one
VaccaRabite
I'm in.

These use the ring terminal thermocouples under the spark plugs, yeah? Is 10 feet enough? The one I will replace is a 14 foot cable and it is TIGHT getting it to the cable to the gauge in the A piller. I don't think I could route it with only 10 feet of cable.

Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 16 2012, 08:10 PM) *

I'm in.

These use the ring terminal thermocouples under the spark plugs, yeah? Is 10 feet enough? The one I will replace is a 14 foot cable and it is TIGHT getting it to the cable to the gauge in the A piller. I don't think I could route it with only 10 feet of cable.

Zach

This baby aint goin in the A pillar...

this gauge is 3 1/8 inch

yes it goes under each spark plug

beerchug.gif

yes 10ft is plenty
VaccaRabite
Wow, cool!

falconfp2001
I'm in with shipping to 90240

Great job Joseph, I almost guest the price. 5.00 dollars off isn't to bad.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Mar 16 2012, 06:11 PM) *

I'm in with shipping to 90240

Great job Joseph, I almost guest the price. 5.00 dollars off isn't to bad.

Now, I have to find a creative way to mount the gauge.
ChrisFoley
I'll take one.
falconfp2001
Bump, need three more. There was a lot more interest on the original thread, come on guys. This is a bangin deal
Eric_Shea
Ummm... What's the difference between this and the one on aircraft spruce?
rktmn247
Is this only good for 4 cyl guys or can 6 cyl guys benefit from this?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rktmn247 @ Mar 17 2012, 02:35 AM) *

Is this only good for 4 cyl guys or can 6 cyl guys benefit from this?

The TC-2 is a one to four channel instrument.
Check the Aircraft Spruce website to see if MGL makes one for 6 channels.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 17 2012, 02:01 AM) *

Ummm... What's the difference between this and the one on aircraft spruce?

Package deal assembled by Joe with 10' Type K TCs from a different source.
Mikey914
I know the make a 6 version I've used them on a TSIO-540. It's the TC3

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/chtgauges_mgl.html
hot_shoe914
This would be really cool but then it would ruin my image of being the guy who just jumps in and drives the stromberg.gif out of my cars without worrying about all that stuff. Kind of takes the fun out of it for me. Well, that and the fact I'm flat broke. sad.gif
stugray
You could also use the same gauge for Exhaust Gas temps.

IMO even more important that Head Temps....

One head temp is good enough, but for carbed cars, EGT can tell you if you have just one jet clogged.

Stu
Jake Raby
I am in for one, need to update the westach unit on the engine dyno. How about 12mm senders? We don't use 14mm plugs here.
rwilner
icon_bump.gif

Are we at 10 yet?
falconfp2001
QUOTE(rwilner @ Mar 18 2012, 05:54 AM) *

icon_bump.gif

Are we at 10 yet?

I believe we need two more.
ww914
So, where is Michael7810 and Rand? Are you guys not interested anymore?
hot_shoe914
I talked to Mary Shortridge this morning, she may be interested. She is going to check it out.
mrbubblehead
just a heads up, dakota digital sells 18 foot 14mm type k tc's for $26.00

if someone had a line on 14mm ring terminals, the tc's are super simple to make.

i'll price the type k wire at work tomorrow. i bet i could make them for 5 bucks a piece.
mrbubblehead
and since cold junction isnt an issue, we could put nice little quick disconnects close to the ring termimal. for easier engine removal. thats how i have mine set up.
mrbubblehead
checked one price. a 200 ft real of type k is 134.00. of course, the bigger the real the price goes down. i could probley fab 100 tc's in an hour...
ChrisFoley
A 14mm ring terminal is nothing more than a 1/2" cad plated copper electrical ring terminal with the hole drilled out. A 12mm ring terminal is really a 1/2" ring.
stugray
i could probley fab 100 tc's in an hour...

I used to make TCs for the Space sim lab at Lockheed Martin.

To do it right you need to twist the ends and spot weld them with a tiny bench-top welder.
Then we would put the tip in an oven and heat them to ~200C and then dip them in Liquid Nitrogen (-180C), then right back in the oven. If they survived that, they were good to go.

That type would be acceptable for clamping directly under a spark plug once or twice.
I wouldnt trust that much more than that unless you had a "washer" type protective sheath.

If you wanted to make them for EGTs, then they would need a threaded "probe".

Stu
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 18 2012, 06:11 PM) *

A 14mm ring terminal is nothing more than a 1/2" cad plated copper electrical ring terminal with the hole drilled out. A 12mm ring terminal is really a 1/2" ring.

23.00$ for 100 pack
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 18 2012, 06:38 PM) *

i could probley fab 100 tc's in an hour...

I used to make TCs for the Space sim lab at Lockheed Martin.

To do it right you need to twist the ends and spot weld them with a tiny bench-top welder.
Then we would put the tip in an oven and heat them to ~200C and then dip them in Liquid Nitrogen (-180C), then right back in the oven. If they survived that, they were good to go.

That type would be acceptable for clamping directly under a spark plug once or twice.
I wouldnt trust that much more than that unless you had a "washer" type protective sheath.

If you wanted to make them for EGTs, then they would need a threaded "probe".

Stu

ya, i didnt use that process when i made mine. i used the ol strip and crimp method. might not be good enough for the space shuttle, but it worked perfectly on my 914. beerchug.gif
jsayre914
so far i see......

1) jsayre914

2) ww914

3) rwilner

4) rnellums

5) Vacca Rabite

6) falconfp2001

7) Racer Chris

8) Jake Raby

9)

10)

2 more guys piratenanner.gif

popcorn[1].gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 18 2012, 01:49 PM) *

just a heads up, dakota digital sells 18 foot 14mm type k tc's for $26.00

if someone had a line on 14mm ring terminals, the tc's are super simple to make.

i'll price the type k wire at work tomorrow. i bet i could make them for 5 bucks a piece.

Thanks for the offer, but I really like the company I have already chosen. They have an excellent reputation. If anybody would like to back out of the group buy and purchase the guage direct and sensors from mrbubblehead, just send me a pm and I will remove you from the list. beerchug.gif

flag.gif

tadink
somewhat interested but where would you mount the thing? anyone have any pix of an idea about where to put it? thx td
plas76targa
Joe,
I'll go in for one of these sensor kits. that gets you closer to 10 !
PM me when to send moola.
rnellums
QUOTE(tadink @ Mar 19 2012, 12:26 AM) *

somewhat interested but where would you mount the thing? anyone have any pix of an idea about where to put it? thx td

I was thinking about modifying the dash and mounting it where my heater controls are.
ww914
I am going to install a center console and replace the clock.
jsayre914
ONLY NEED 1 MORE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN TODAY !!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

1) jsayre914

2) ww914

3) rwilner

4) rnellums

5) Vacca Rabite

6) falconfp2001

7) Racer Chris

8) Jake Raby

9) plas76targa

10)

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(tadink @ Mar 19 2012, 12:26 AM) *

I did a quick photochop of where I am going to put it.
beerchug.gif

falconfp2001
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 19 2012, 08:23 AM) *

ONLY NEED 1 MORE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN TODAY !!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

1) jsayre914

2) ww914

3) rwilner

4) rnellums

5) Vacca Rabite

6) falconfp2001

7) Racer Chris

8) Jake Raby

9) plas76targa

10)

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Can we give it till Wednesday? It would better for my finances if we paid up on Wednesday?
jsayre914
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Mar 19 2012, 02:03 PM) *

Can we give it till Wednesday? It would better for my finances if we paid up on Wednesday?

I am not the one to make that decision lol, I cannot purchase the 10 units until I get 10 people committed, and paid for rolleyes.gif But since you brought it up, I will send out the PM's today for all those on the list. beerchug.gif

As soon as I receive payment from everyone, I will place the order smile.gif

santa_smiley.gif
jsayre914
btw:

WE STILL NEED 1 MORE

shades.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 18 2012, 11:51 AM) *

I talked to Mary Shortridge this morning, she may be interested. She is going to check it out.

I think this gauge is too big for where I plan to put gauges in BC, but I'll do some double cking.
Dr Evil
Mary, you dont need this.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 19 2012, 04:25 PM) *

Mary, you dont need this.

Yes you do Mary
happy11.gif
jsayre914
Pm's sent to all those interested. Please send payment ASAP.

Group buy closes tommorow, I talked with the vendor and they are willing to do me the same price on 9 if I cant get anyone eles.

first.gif

I am excited to get this thing rolling
driving.gif
Jake Raby
Group buys are a PITA to organize... When its time to pay, people disappear.
BTW_ I replied to your PM.
rwilner
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 19 2012, 08:29 PM) *

Group buys are a PITA to organize... When its time to pay, people disappear.
BTW_ I replied to your PM.

I just sent payment wink.gif
jsayre914
WE HAVE 10

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

1) jsayre914

2) ww914

3) rwilner

4) rnellums

5) Vacca Rabite

6) falconfp2001

7) Racer Chris

8) Jake Raby

9) plas76targa

10) zig-n-zag

This group buy closes tonight. You can still add your name to the list.

Anybody eles???

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.