Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Howard
Nice Catch! Will talk to them tomorrow. Anything previous Monday 4/25 just in case? That's open too.
Howard
Truly a bunch of random stuff. Comments welcome. Slits, if you're reading this and still in, would like you to do welcoming talk and MC BBQ. Toast, have local caterer that will do all for $10pp at park. Seems kinda tough to beat, but see what you can do. Duffy, I'll call Otto tomorrow and see if he wants to do tech and tech talk.

Shit, can't post word doc's so cut and paste with wacky formatting..

WCC 2005 Agenda.

Reflects changes as of 10/30/2004. Final dates still a bit flexible as Willow may not have track available 5/2. If that is the case, all will move to the prior weekend.

General. Event will be open to all interested. 914 not required. Run what you brung, but no motorcycles at track event. Meals not listed, events marked * and rooms are extra cost.

Event will be held to benefit Special Olympics, so your entry fee may be tax deductible.

Entry Fee: $150 includes one goodie bag. Entrant’s guest(s) are included without additional charge.

Friday 4/29 Early Arrivals Hampton Inn and Suites Camarillo.

4:00pm Welcome Parking lot meet. Pizza, Beer, Soda and Tall Tales (Robert Dekker)

Saturday 4/30

7:30-9:00am Cont. Breakfast at Hotel
9:14am Opening Ceremony, agenda, goodie bags
10:00am Twisty road/poker run to Paramount Ranch (Scott Kline)
12:30pm Photo shoot, BBQ, Spl Olympics rides for kids. Poker awards.
5:00pm Return to Hotel. Evening free for general revelry

Sunday 5/1

7:30-9:00am Cont. Breakfast at Hotel
9:14am Meeting and prep for trip to Lancaster.
10:00am Leave for Lancaster
1:00pm Arrive Inn of Lancaster
1:30pm Tech inspection for track cars, then car wash, then car show. (Duffy Exon)
Voting for best in class, best overall, distance traveled, etc.
6:00pm If funds allow, catered meal, if not, on own.

Monday 5/2 (Andy Ritter)
Andy, this format was done before you volunteered to do track day. Make changes as desired.

7:30am Depart hotel for Willow Springs.
8:00am Track topics, driver meeting, coffee, juice and rolls. (Andrew Shenk)
9:00am Track tour with qualified driver. Sedan or follow the leader in groups of 5.
10:00am Start 20 minute rotations by class.
1. Novice/touring 2. Some experience 3. Track stars
12:00pm Lunch break*, open track. Passengers, no helmets, 55mph, Any car.
1:00pm Driver meeting/change run groups, etc.
1:30pm Start 20 minute rotations
4:30pm Farewell meeting at trackside garage.

Track Notes:
In first rotation, experienced drivers will ride with novices. Should be time for 8-10 laps, but come in any time. OK for teacher to drive if mutually agreed for instruction purposes. Once the teacher is satisfied that novice is OK, novice can go out solo next rotation unless he wants more help. Rotate teacher in that case.

DE, not a race, even for track star rotation. Passing only allowed on main straight when given wave by. Wave by rule: If there’s someone behind you, and you haven’t just passed them, they are going faster than you. Once on straight, wave them by and take your foot out of it. Yielding car to right, pass on left.

Helmets/seat belts required. Targas/Teeners/Boxsters OK, but open cars require roll bar.

WCC 2005 Budget updated 10/30/2004

Assumes 100 paid entries and another 50 ‘guests’. Does not include sponsor donations.

Revenue from entry fees: $15,000

Costs:

$ 2000 Track Rental
667 Track Insurance
490 Paramed
300 Corner workers

3,457 Track total

600 Pizza & beer Fri Night
2000 BBQ catering
800 Facility Rental
200 Coffee/Donuts Track
3,800 Food Total

1500 Magnetic Plaques
1500 Hats and Shirts
500 Trophies
750 Non Sponsored Goodies
1000 Misc.

5,250 Other Total

Expense: 12,507

Excess: 2,493

WCC 2005 Sponsorship Opportunities

Track $3500 or portion
Friday Night Pizza 1000
BBQ 2800 or portion

Magnetic Plaques 1500 or portion
Hats 750
Shirts 750

Track Lunch 600
Track Coffee/Donuts 200
Shirt Listing 200 (Name and Logo only)

Program List Included with all of the above and goodie bag/raffle donators. Will include stuffer if provided.
drew365
Good synopsis Howard. If some sponsors want to donate parts etc. rather than money maybe we can have a silent auction Sunday afternoon during tech with proceeds to the charity.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(drew365 @ Oct 31 2004, 07:36 PM)
Good synopsis Howard. If some sponsors want to donate parts etc. rather than money maybe we can have a silent auction Sunday afternoon during tech with proceeds to the charity.

what about give aways from the sponsors? people just spent money to come to the party, i dunno how willing people would be to buy stuff at auction.

just my 2 cents
seanery
agree.gif I heard this comment a couple time during the FFC "It was a tough decision between the MUSR and the FFC, but you guys had better giveaways"
Howard
I was working on this before I saw the last 2 posts. There will be lots of giveaways, but there may be some donations that we want to do on silent auction. If you want to be a winner, save your money, stay home and buy lottery tickets rolleyes.gif

Anyway...

Thanks again to all who made the long drive. Spoke to 'Otto' this AM and he will come out to Lancaster Inn on Sunday handle tech and also answer questions from the group. Unlikely he will actually come to track on Monday, but ya never know. Willow still up in the air, but we are in for the preceeding Monday 4/25 if they have to bump us from 5/2. Paramount is OK with either Saturday, but haven't called hotels pending Willow. Confirmed catering for BBQ $10 each. 1/2# bacon cheeseburgers or Korean style BBQ chicken. Soft Drinks, sides, chips, etc.

So, Andy is doing the track, Andrew the track coffee and rolls, Duffy the Sunday Lancaster festivities, Robert D the Friday night welcome Pizza and Beer.

Scott the Poker run. Scott, I know the roads around here and can help you with routes if you want, and remember you'll need to find 10 suckers to sit out in the middle of nowhere to pass out the cards.

What I see we're missing now is someone to...
Decide logo/colors/design for shirts, hats, plaques, trophies, name tags and other printing.
Get bids and order the above.
Hit the 'usual suspects' 914 sponsors for $$ and goodies.
Speak as Event MC and recruit other speakers.
My idea for a Sunday carwash wasn't met with much enthusiasm, but still think it would be fun. Anyone want to run it?

Anyone who attended the first meeting that missed the second up for these jobs?
//rant on
reems like everyone wants to share their ideas, but few want to work at it.
//rant off

Howard Dranow
The Howard Agency, Inc.
31225 La Baya #207
Westlake Village, CA 91362
800.622.1602 fax 818.889.0866
info@thehowardagency.com
phantom914
Scott,

I am willing to be one of the suckers to hand out the cards on the poker run.

Howard,

I thought the logo was decided on: the original logo with a color change every year...??? As for the trophies etc., I can help facilitate and coordinate with somebody willing to come up with designs, but I won't be good on designing. Let me know Howard and I will start to make contacts and get something started. Who did the logos/trophys in '04? Seanery and Jaroen?

When I have time, I will look: I swear someone from the '04 commitee mentioned being able to contact the sponsors from last year or at least give us a clue whom to contact.

Andrew
seanery
Rick Ollah did the trophy's last year.
Jeroen designed the logo.
I, well I guess I didn't do much. Go Figure! laugh.gif
Jeroen
Hey Andrew,

I designed last years logo's etc.
Rick "The Alien" Olah took care of the (beautiful) trophies and Sean handled the printing of the shirts

As for a list of last year's sponsors... I'll browse through my e-mails and post the contacts here
Let's not be as cheap as last year biggrin.gif

You can also check last years planning forum (same password as for this forum)
Howard
biggrin.gif Looks like I sucker punched Andrew into the job of heading the shirt/hat/trophy/plaque stuff. Thanks Big Guy, I was getting kinda tired fighting with the dates/hotels/food issues.
drew365
and remember you'll need to find 10 suckers to sit out in the middle of nowhere to pass out the cards.

Oh, oh, me! I can stand in the middle of nowhere. Can I, can I?
Howard
Ok, I'll sit there with you. How about tomorrow wacko.gif
Spent today playing phone tag with Willow re dates, Paramount can't tell us how much fee applies until after elections (???) when they get their revised budget. I'm ready for early retirement from this position icon8.gif
Aaron Cox
howard- doin great man. smilie_pokal.gif

take a vicodin and just mellow out for the night.... good plan.
your doin fucking awesome man! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
drew365
So Howard; looks like you might get your wish on not having the track event timed. After talking to the new timer Dennis and Steve Z it seems that the equipment Joel was using all belonged to the club and now that some of it got damaged in the accident they want to keep it better secured and not loan it out. Dennis is trying to buy his own equipment and may have some by the time the event comes around but for right now we may be using stop watches, lots of stop watches. wacko.gif
seanery
Touring Car Club has some gear I think. They may rent/loan it to us. confused24.gif
Howard
Andy, not against timing, just luke warm. Last few events (2 ax's and SOW) all had timing problems that reduced track time.

And back to track, still playing tag with Stephanie @ Willow. At the moment we are 'pencilled in' for 5/2 if Mazda cancels, but they have blocked previous Monday 4/25 for us anyway, and guarantee that won't get changed. Opinions...

Should we just go for the 4/25 and move everything up a week? Will that screw up anything? If no response from board, and no further confirm from Willow by Wednesday I will change dates.
seanery
do what you gotta do. sooner the better for those who have already requested Vacation time.
drew365
agree.gif Shouldn't be too much difference in weather between the two weekends. Anyone have a Farmers Almanac, or a properly calibrated crystal ball?
Howard
I'd settle for something that would get them to call me back. Insert Getting Pissed Smiley
seanery
if we do something in vinyl/magnetics....let's use the logo and make something cool vs. a circle. sound good?
phantom914
Howard,

Get my e-mail?

Andrew
Howard
Yes Andrew, good luck with your quest. Hope to see you back at it soon.
Howard
Any other info we should get on entry form? Andy, wnat more for track?

Name:
Club Username:
Address:
Email:
Day Phone:
Staying at Hotel? 22,23,24 You Must Book Your Own Rooms!
Bringing a 914? Shirt Size: Bringing Guest(s)?

Going to Track?

If so, and you plan to run:

Year: Engine: Modifications:

Describe your Driving Experience: Novice: Some A/X or Track: Experienced: Will you Instruct?
Howard
Flash!

MikeZ has agreed to MC Saturday BBQ and Raffle. Wear your Kevlar!
Howard
Waiting to hear from admin about sponsor list, but here's the stuff I plan post and send to potential sponsors. Please review (and proof read) when you have a chance and let me know if any changes in order. Hope I get these links right.
Agenda

Sponsor Fees

Solicitation

Stuff from Special Olympics

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

And Bruce Napier has submitted a great article for program. Need more!
VegasRacer
Howard - what about adding the option to sponsor the Poker Run?
Howard
Good. Done.
drew365
Howard; you're doing a great job. I'm going through a high stress period at work so you won't hear a lot from me for about a month. Hopefully things will level out for me with the new year.
Concerning the sponsors, I know it's your baby and you know what you are doing. I just feel it's a big enough job that you should have some help. (this is not an offer to volunteer). Have you thought about trying to enlist two or three others to split up a list of potential sponsors and gear the requests to be specific to each sponsor, what you'd like to get from each one and what they could expect in return? I know not a lot of people are jumping on the volunteer wagon right now, but if we ask for someone to help with contacting sponsors a couple will probably come through. After New Years I may be able to help with that. Just some thoughts.
Howard
Andy, thanks for the kind words. Tried to get help from admin several times, but nothing so far. I really wanted to get someone who knows all the potential sponsors. Can't even seem to get a mailing list, so I'll put together what I can, try to nail post, and send out snail mails. And know what you mean, I'm trying to run a business, too.

You're doing plenty with the track. BTW, Otto did say he was coming out to Hotel on Sunday to help with tech.
Jeroen
Howard... but NO ONE knows ALL the sponsors
Heck, I did most of the fundraising last year and I'm on the other end of the world
I only "knew" a few of them. Either because I bought from them or because I met them in 2003 while visiting Brad
And I had to do it all by e-mail. I didn't have a chance to give them a follow-up phone call...

Tried to get help from admin several times, but nothing so far

There were very few admins involved with the 2004 WCC. IIRC, Sean and me were the only admins on the planning committee. Brad pulled some strings if and where he could. That's it...

The sponsor list is out there, both on the event page as in this tread on the WCC 2004 planning forum (same password as here)

There's a list of sponsors on the event page from the FFC as well

cheers,

Jeroen

PS, contact Pete about copying the Excellence article for the event brochure/booklet (if you haven't already)
Promise him you'll add some "subscription cards" in the goodie bags and I'm sure they'll allow you to use it
At the same time, you can "work" him so we'll get 2005 coverage (don't think it'll need much "working" though biggrin.gif)
Pnambic
Something that was mentioned concerning sponsors when we were hunting them down for the FFC was maybe offering a package deal so that the sponsor gets representation in each of the main Classics during the year. I know there would be complications concerning managing the money and donated pieces and such, but it might be easier to hit them up once instead of half a dozen times, ya know? Garold (ItsA914) did a spectacular job rounding up sponsors for the FCC. He may have contact info still lying around.

beerchug.gif
xitspd
Howard,

I have a complete Motorola racing radio system that the club can use during the WWC 2005 event at Willow Springs. I have (7) P110 2-channel hand held UHF units and a base unit in my trailer that can be used for a command center. Please advise if needed.

Dan
Howard
Dan, that's great! Andy (drew365) is the track boss and sure he'll see this shortly. Now all we need is 60 or so xponders biggrin.gif
xitspd
Thanks Howard. I will wait to hear from Andy regarding the radios. Sorry about the transponders... I only have one.

Dan
Howard
I realize this is a tough time of the year to plan anything extra, but we are due for a meeting. Wanna try one now or just wait until after the first?
drew365
Sorry, I didn't notice any of the last few posts. I'd say I'm getting senile but I forget what that means. Anyway, I'm up for a meeting anytime but right after the 1st might be more prudent. Dan, I'm sure your radio system will come in handy, at the least we'll look important talking to each other.
Howard
How about meeting Saturday 1/15?
drew365
Sorry, that's our anniversary that weekend. We'll be in Palm Springs.
Howard
Andy, how about following weekend?
drew365
I'm in. The POC awards banquet is the 22nd at 6, so as long as we don't do it too late I'm good.
drew365
So Howard; I just realized there's a STS event the weekend of April 23,24. I guess it doesn't matter, I wasn't planning on doing all the events this year anyway. If we could just get the POC to leave the track set up for us on Monday that would be nice. I'll have to start being real nice and kiss the appropriate butt.
Howard
Yeah, I noticed, too. Pretty sure I'll be so involved in this shit that no 914 will be involved that weekend anyway.
xitspd
Howard,

Attached artwork as promised.

Dan
drew365
Stephanie is off this week. I will call her Monday morning and nail down the track details.
VegasRacer
Howard - can you please give us an update on all of the progress. How are we doing on the shirts, awards, rally plates and other items? Are all the meal plans in place? Is there anything that is a problem area that needs our attention or are we right on track? Maybe some of the event chairmen could chime in: Poker run, Track day, Car show, etc.

What about a group picture? Last year this was a bit of a problem to make it happen. Do we have a designated photographer? Has the location been well scouted? Any test shots to show us?
drew365
Track day here: Willow Springs has confirmed we are booked for Monday April 25. They were supposed to send an invoice so we could mail a deposit but haven't so far. I'm making lists and will seek some help with specific items soon. Really the only problem is everthing needs to be done early Monday morning at nearly the same time so I will need help with registration, tech, PA, dealing with corner workers, possibly setting up some cones and drivers meeting / assigning instructors. It would help if everyone doesn't wait until the last minute to register, I will need a list of entrants showing who is novice, some experience and experienced so I can form run groups and figure out who needs instructors and how many we have. I expect it will come together at the last minute. Alfred E. Newman is my guide.
Howard
Andy, all 'xperienced' driver will help instruct. Except you, or course, you'll be working too hard biggrin.gif
drew365
Small update: I called Willow Springs again, Stephanie wasn't in again, girl that answered said they do all invoicing around the 15th for events the following month so we should get the invoice about the 20th, and yes we're still on their calander.
drew365
Another minor update: paramedics are set, corner workers are set.
I feel we'll need to have 4 run groups. Putting 25 novices on the track together is either going to be bumper cars or the 405 at 8 a.m., or both. Howard, John suggested we have wrist bands so we know that the second person in a car is an instructor. Do you know anywhere to buy them? They should correspond to the color dots for the windshields. I'll be happy to pick them up if you know who sells them. You think a party supply store would carry that?
Howard
Good deal. OK, here's the breakdown. 74 to track. Perfect! Of these, 27 still unpaid so will have no shows, I'm sure.
38 novices, 24 experienced, 12 racers.
All the 'racers' have volunteered to instruct, several 'experienced' are being modest, will also help, and can probably be moved up so those two classes are more balanced.

I'll run down the wrist bands and windshield stickies. Andy, see if you can get the BBQ guy to come out. No big deal, we can always go over to the big track, but this would be better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.