Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Howard
Coming up on 6 months, so guess I should get off my dead ass and get back to work. Here's what we do have. Dates, Hotel, and track set. Buffet breakfast is included and they will give us a meeting room (no charge) so we can eat as a group and have our 'meetings'.

Other meals will require more planning. Hotel does not allow outside catering of food or booze.. we would have to use their services at inflated prices. Trekkor is sitting on the fence about catering as he would rather tow a car rather than the BBQ. Can't say I blame him.

2004 had only one organized meal but I still like going for the BBQ/beach party thing. No place to do it at hotel so am looking for locations. Paramount Ranch has a decent set up but beach is good, too.

Still up for grabs is whether to move the gang out to Palmdale Sunday to prepare for Willow on Monday. Traffic patterns the way they are, this may be the best way. Get there around 4pm, tech the cars and driver's meeting and 15min to Track.

Breakfast, Twisty tour, and BBQ will pretty much take care of Saturday, but Sunday open. And think we should offer some loose plans for Thursday/Friday for the longer distance commuters.

Would like to get together 10/23 if that's doable for all. I'd be happy to BBQ at my place if you guys want to make the shag.
phantom914
10/23 works for me. Twist tour in the morning? smile.gif Still don't know if I contribute anything worthwhile, but if you want to feed me........

Just remember that my brother-in-law is a printer when you have an idea of what materials you might want printed for the WCC .

Moving to Palmdale on Sunday sounds good. Any idea what the accommodations are like?

Andrew
seanery
I think the Sunday move is a good idea.
Howard
Accomodations are fine and inexpensive there, but there's not much to do. I figure we can make our own party wherever we go.
drew365
We need to get someone in charge of setting up the twisty tour/ poker run if it's going to happen. Seems like either the twisty tour or Bar B Que could be moved to Sunday. That way the people working on those events don't have to miss the other. Maybe I'm to anal but I believe in Murphy's law.
10/23 sounds good to me to get together, but remember our breakfast meeting, we didn't really get anything accomplished till we sat down at the park with few distractions. College girls wanting a picture with us not too distracting.
Howard
agree.gif

That's why I want to meet at a private location rather than a restaurant. GAF was a real mess for this as lunch took 1 1/2 hours longer than expected.
Patrick Pickering has offered to make the dash plaques/rallye shields gratis. Thank you Patrick smilie_pokal.gif !

And we can put the hit on Andrew's B in Law for bargain printing biggrin.gif . But until we get the venue set it's hard to proceed.
seanery
regarding the stainless awards, check these out...Mark (Engman) has been working on these for the last couple months. This is an early sample of what our Fall Foliage awards will look like.

Please don't pass this image out or discuss it, we're hoping it's a surprise for those attending.
IPB Image
Toast
That Plaque is awesome! smilie_pokal.gif

Howard,
Just FYI, there is an AX in Riverside on 10/23 that several of the people around here are planning to attend. May make your meeting a little less people depending on who is involved and who is going to the AX.

I may be able to set up a caterer if you will need one for the bbq/beach party.

I think if we have a beach party at a seperate location from the hotel, we may need to think about a possible shuttle service or find some way to get the drunkards back to the hotels. drunk.gif
I dont want ANYONE drinking and driving. And yes, I will be very selfish and strict about that! And I have no problem being a Designated Driver!
Howard
Toast, sorry, should have noticed. Everybody OK with 10/30? And thing about DUI certainly needs solution. One idea is afternoon picnic BBQ at beach/park with Special Olympics Kids then return to hotel and get blitzed in pool area. wink.gif
Bikinis, speedos optional.

Please get some catering estimates. Tri tip, corn, salad, garlic bread or such and quickie lunch at track.
phantom914
10/30 good.

Andrew
Toast
Will do!

I think drinking at the beach would be safer for those of us who are clutzes. Falling on sand would hurt much less than falling on concrete or in a pool. biggrin.gif
Toast
Howard,
This is a post that is on the WCC 05 thread that is on the
914 Technical forum.
Thought that this was interesting and this guys services may be usefull.

Toast

cmolina
Posted: Oct 11 2004, 02:09 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 2757

I'm located nearby, in Simi Valley. I'm wondering if we need a PA of some sort for announcements/music. Since I run a DJ service, I think I might be able to put something together for us... either for entertainment or announcements.

If you're interested, please e-mail me directly: carlos@afterhours-entertainment.com

Regards,

Carlos
Howard
Emailed Carlos about DJ stuff.

Just got off the phone with admin from Paramount Ranch. They have several car groups that throw their parties there, and seem to have all the right facilities.

Group picnic area seats 125+, flush toilets, and they'll let us take the cars out on portions of track that are still usable. No playing, but great for photo shoot and parade.

And, we can cruise the cars thru the old west set (Dr. Quinn, etc.) and have a showdown at the 914 corral. I'm stoked! Pre booked it for Saturday, 4/30/05 but need to confirm by 11/1, so everyone please attend the 10/30 meeting.

Couldn't resist. Ken Miles (550RS) v. Bob Drake (Cooper Climax 1500) 1957? Those boys could drift..
Toast
ooohhhh...........sounds exciting!
seanery
There are portions of the track that still exist?

I would have loved to be able to drive that track.
It's my favorite on Gran Prix Legends. driving.gif
Howard
Some more random thoughts. Can you, or do you know, someone who can..

Put together a DVD of 2004 highlights, 2005 movies and such? Video editing ability.

Do creative writing and narrative (Slits, you're a shoo in for this).

Put together a printed schedule of events and sort the sponsors' ads. Good quality keepsake kind of thing, and follow up with the 2005 event highlights to be sent later. Publishing experience and color laser a plus here.

Organize a Poker run.

Act as liason with Special Olympics Athletes and their trainers.

Thinking about a car wash. I have a pressure washer and a leaf blower. Makes fast work out of this. Do you have one or both? 2 of each will make it a snap. Could you be in charge of this? Toast?

Track day. This is the hardest to organize. Drew has offered to head this, but it requires a considerable amount of help. Need tech inspectors and instructors. You may have to kiss off running your car much.

Extra stuff for long distance members who will come early. Tour thru Hollywood, Bev Hills and Malibu for the tourists? Minature golf tournament? Real Golf?

I can pretty much take care of the hotel and catering arrangements, but any help is appreciated. Go to hotel near track Sunday afternoon?

So the 10/30 meet is important. BBQ at my place is fine, and love to have you all, but if it's too far let me know and we can meet elsewhere.

Sean, the track is still there, except the bridge washed out. I offered to rebuild bridge (Aaron, you're the Civil Engr) if they would let us run it. Probably not biggrin.gif

Scott, if you're still alive check in. Know you're busting your ass on the Chalon, but we need you.
seanery
Put together a DVD of 2004 highlights, 2005 movies and such? Video editing ability.

some people actually pay me to do this one confused24.gif
Martin Baker
Hello all,

Howard had asked me a while back to lend a hand, so I wanted to ask if the t-shirt thing had been done yet? I have a friend in the buisness, who is willing to give me a good price. Any other area's I can help out on? Willing to help out in any way I can even if I am not in the So Cal area.

Martin stones.gif
skline
Hi all, Yeah, I am still busting my arse on the Chalon in between work and sleep. I am still here and I check in almost everyday on the main forum. I have been so busy with work lately that the car isnt getting the attention it needs. It is ready to run however, I just need to set the timing correctly. I will be pulling the distributor out again maybe tonight or tomorrow and trying to get it at TDC so I can put the wires in the right places and fire it up. I am still here though. How may I be of assistance?
Howard
Sean, can you do camera work or should we look for more suckers, uh volunteers.. A 2004 highlights DVD would make a great goodie bag item and would help when we're hitting the sponsors. Can you put that together now? Costs?

Martin, can he do hats and golf style shirts too? Costs?

Still haven't heard from Carlos, so will bug him again about DJ stuff.

Got some great 2005 logos
Toast
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 12 2004, 07:13 PM)
Thinking about a car wash. I have a pressure washer and a leaf blower. Makes fast work out of this. Do you have one or both? 2 of each will make it a snap. Could you be in charge of this? Toast?

Track day. This is the hardest to organize. Drew has offered to head this, but it requires a considerable amount of help. Need tech inspectors and instructors. You may have to kiss off running your car much.

Do you need me to provide a car to wash? Or do you need me to wash a car? What is the dress code? cool_shades.gif

I can help with piddly poop at the track, like marking and setting up cones, writing times, giving the drivers a drink of water.... smilie_flagge24.gif
seanery
to do a 2004 highlights video, we need video.
Do we have enough to do this?

Camera, I prefer not to. I'd be glad to hold a "how to shoot for editing seminar" though, so when we confiscate everyone's footage there is a better chance it's usable. biggrin.gif
Howard
Sean, I have some, and there were a number of other cameras out there. If you want to do it, let me know and I'll post asking for it. Might be so little available that cd will work. There are a ton of stills.

Toast, thinking of two pressure washers, two blowers and then each person drives their own car thru and finishes it themselves. You recruit the people, work them to death, then stand out there with a big jar and collect donations for the kids. Dress code is your call, but I think the 'right' people dressed in the 'right' manner may attract more $$$ biggrin.gif
Martin Baker
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 15 2004, 10:45 AM)

Martin, can he do hats and golf style shirts too?  Costs?

Got some great 2005 logos

I will need the ones you plan to use to provide to my friend Gene. I just spoke to hime on the phone, he can do all of the above, Golf, Tee's and Hats. Screening or embroidery. There is much more to discuss about this Howard, so is it alright if we speak on the phone to bring this to the final plan? How can I reach you? I am 707 208 3264. Are we going to just use the same art work from last year? I really liked it. Anyone else?
seanery
I would recomend against heat transfer for shirts. It just doesn't hold up well.
Screen printing is the best method for Ts.
Howard
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 15 2004, 07:33 PM)
I would recomend against heat transfer for shirts. It just doesn't hold up well.
Screen printing is the best method for Ts.

Agree. Here is one more logo. Cost difference between this and WCC2004 logos?

Martin, will call you later or you can reach me @ 818.889.1566 home, but figure on 150 each of shirts and caps.
Martin Baker
Howard, I gave Gene your contact info, he should be in touch.
VegasRacer
Howard - Have you been in contact yet with Jeroen about potential artwork for WCC 2005? He did a GREAT job on all the graphics last year.
drew365
Also did Jeroen do the online sign up forms? We'll need to incorporate the info we'll need to form classes for the track event.
seanery
pnambic did the online forms we're using for the FFC.

They are fantastic and very handy. I'm sure he could lend a hand with the WCC's form.
Howard
Asked Ya-roon about a month ago and haven't heard. Will get on him again and contact pnambic about forms. Sean, should I forward video stuff to you? Rich promised to give his to you this weekend.

Also need a 'volunteer' to contact the regular 914club sponsors for goodies and $$$. I'm guessing someone from admin knows these folks better than I do.

What have we been getting for Tshirt mention/stuffer in program? Any ideas for major sponsors to hit? BBQ, track day, track day lunch, hats etc. BBQ and track costs estimated @$3000 each. Track day lunch $600 or so. Hat/Golf shirts around @2200 each.

Roll call for 10/30 meeting. Who's coming?
seanery
Howard,
Our FFC sponsor is interested in sponsoring more events. We'll know more after this one how that will go.

Yeah, send the video to me...I'd prefer DV. VHS looks like crap, so I'd prefer not to use it. Quicktimes and Windows Media & AVI should be ok, too (depending on the file size, etc...)
seanery
damn, howard, don't spend that on hats/shirts...I can get hats done professionally, where we design all aspects of the hat. I know I have some more negotiating power on hats after the fubar we just had. How many do you want/need? We could incorporate the spring hat order into a WCC '05 hat. It'll give us a fresh logo look, too.
phantom914
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 20 2004, 08:59 AM)

Roll call for 10/30 meeting. Who's coming?

I' be dere.

Andrew
Howard
Haven't gotten bids as such yet on hats and collared shirts, but assuming they will run about $12-$18 each. T shirts $8. Am I that far off? Figuring on 100 primary entries and another 50 people attending.

Andrew, see ya! We can go for a canyon run before or after lunch.
seanery
we paid $600ish for 100 of last year's WCC t-shirts.
golf shirts are a bit more...I don't have a quote handy to relay the info. For a lower qty VegasRacer's source was cheaper, on a larger qty our T-Shirt vendor was cheaper.
Hats vary on qty.
phantom914
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 20 2004, 10:29 AM)

Andrew, see ya! We can go for a canyon run before or after lunch.

Exactly what I had in mind. But why limit it to before or after? wink.gif biggrin.gif

Andrew
VegasRacer
I will not be at the meeting on the 30th.

I will be at D & G's swap meet on the 24th.

The price for the embroidered polos is about $15 each from my source.
skline
Howard, any chance you could come down for D&G? It would be a good place to meet for the planning, Lots of people to get ideas from, and many of us will already be there. Just a thought.
Howard
Scott, can't do both and was going to try to make AX. The ideas are pretty well in, just need to decide which ones to actually do, and who will do them.
Toast
I'll be at D & G, the meeting on 10/30.
May be at AX, but probably withouth the teener sad.gif Cant seem to get her FI to run properly. headbang.gif
skline
Where is Slits when you need him? He can fix that for you. He is actually pretty good with these cars. Hope to see you all at D&G.
Howard, I will talk care of the Poker Run stuff. I am getting information on it next week and then I need to find a couple of good routes for it. I am doing it from Microsoft Map Point 2004 so I have good up to date maps of the area. I will discuss it further with you at the meeting.
Howard
Way to go, Scott. There are tons of good roads around host hotel. Rock Store is always a good stop, and trying to get our BBQ @ Paramount Ranch. Think both are listed in MS Streets, but don't know about map point.
drew365
Scott; I think Duff told me he would help set up the Poker Run if you want to contact him I have his phone #.
skline
Sure, or I could pass mine to him, either way. I would like to have it all figured out by January leaving enough play in there to change little details if something happens to a road or anything. You just never know what Caltrans will do.
Howard
Hotel change #22...

I got concerned with trying to herd the group to track on Monday morning, so talked to Inn of Lancaster (25 min from track) and told them we might be coming. They do all the POC stuff, have plain but nice facilities, cont b'fast, rooms $62, suites $72. Told Hampton, and they're fine with that. Nothing cast in stone but at least we have the option.

Really wanted to do BBQ/Picnic at Paramount Ranch but they want freaking $1000 to rent the facility. Looking for some other options. Nice park in Thousand Oaks with covered seating for 200, Group BBQ's, real bathrooms, good parking for $200, but lots of freeway noise.

Andy (Drew) Nice write up in Velocity! You and the 914's got good exposure at Willow and Laguna Seca. pnambic (Dan) has offered to do the online entry forms, so one more thing falling into place. Do we have a volunteer to hit the usual 914 sponsors?
Jeroen
As soon as you have anything solid, I can/will put up a dedicated event page here on the clubsite with all the info (just like I did for the other events)

The more you feed me to work with the better it'll be biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen

PS... did you find the logo-thread?
Howard
jeroen, forgot about the logo thread. seems like most want to keep the same one and change colors each year (like the way you snuck in the orange biggrin.gif )

should have more settled after this weekend and will let you know.
Toast
Howard,
I'm not going to be able to make it. I have a blown head gasket on my truck and I dont want to drive that far with it like that.

Sorry.
sad.gif

I would still like to handle the CD and the Catering. I need to know where you are going to hold the caterings, so that I can get more accurate estimates. Thanks.

Have fun for me. beerchug.gif
drew365
Howard; I realized that Sunday May 8, 05 is Mothers Day. Lets hope we can keep our track date of May 2. Going back later to the third weekend in May would put the event during finals for any members with kids. So I think the first weekend in May would be our best choice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.