Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Hobbies besides 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Martin Baker
Getting ready to start DUMPING my 20 plus years of R/C stuff...raced 1/10th on road for many years off and on since 1980. Lots of vintage crap. Will ebay mostly unless some knows a specific item I might have.
charlesmac
I'm a trumpet player, mostly legit stuff, just starting to learn jazz improv. High school band director during the day. Summers i spend wakeboarding, winters, some hunting, snowboarding(usually 1 week a year, we don't get much snow down here), 70'VW fastback to finish, 72'chevy truck to finish, 83' 944 to finish, trying to get a shop built, used to fly R/C planes, i think that's about it.
Ferg
Cycling:

SingleSpeed, Mountain Bike, Road Bike, Cyclocross, you name it. It used to be my life, then I got a real job, married, and soon baby...

Trail Running:

Mostly weekends with my dogs, 5-10 mile trail runs, with a few half and full trail marathons each year.

Sell Cars:

More of a hobby than a second income, I usually turn 3-5 cars a year, I like to keep my Daily Drivers rotating so I don't lose any money.

Ferg
Aaron Cox
i also got me 2 golden retriever stooges. they make me laugh biggrin.gif
914helo
Besides a full-time job in the military, which of course includes some travel blink.gif , a 3 year old, 5 month old, dog, and an addiction to tennis, I still squeeze in time for the 914. Of course, that's probably why I've only done a fraction of the work that needs to get done. I still love it though.
Allan
Corporate Health & Safety Manager for a heavy industrial construction firm during the day and sometimes at night and on weekends. Enjoy the occasional round of golf. Love to travel. Usually it's to somewhere here on the west coast with the every year or so trip to Turkey (Wifes family).
grantsfo
I have a Boxster and Toyota Echo that I spend some time on. Boxster allows me and my wife to join the wine and cheese crowd occasionally - thats often very boring. Toyota allows me to hang with the young ricer tuner crowd. ...thats often scary. ..But hey I have a whole crowd of guys working on suspension mods rather than fart can mufflers for their Echo's!

But most of my time is spent training my Aussie frisbee tricks.

IPB Image
Dr Evil
Study, study, study, and when I have time I study ohmy.gif ) and slowly selling things off of my teener that I don't want but the CWs do smilie_pokal.gif

When I have time I try to finish my /6 conversion; assembling the engine presently.
Trying to keep my BMW K bike up and running, adopted another that needs an engine rebuild.
I also seem to end up fixing other peoples cars..you should see my back yard.

Oh, and I do upholstery, guitars, and r/c aircraft!

I may be obsessed huh.gif
dflesburg
IPB Image
TonyAKAVW
The 914 hobby for me is really secondary to my other hobby, which is even more unusual. I'm relaly into a particular form of amateur radio. Specifically microwave communications. Each year for two weekends, we (about 150 people in the US) get up on top of mountains and try to talk to each other on strange contraptions we've built. Our goal in this contest is to talk to the most number of other people over the longest distances. Since the microwave signals are inherently line-of-sight we have to be on mountaintops.

Here's a picture of my latest radio, its a 47 GHz radio. The wavelength of the signals is 6 mm, which is actually considered beyond microwaves (millimeterwaves). The rifle scope on the side is actually used for pointing, the beamwidth of the antenna is around 1 degree.

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
Here I am with a group of other microwave operators on Signal Hill near Long Beach. (actually I'm not in the picture, but my dish is the left-most one.

-Tony
Toast
I love to play rock in roll on the Drums! But I haven't had a set or a place to play in almost 2 years. sad.gif

I have been wanting to go skiing since July! (we need a smiley for this!)

I am suba certified, but I dont particularly like doing it. scuba.gif

I love listening to music and have my XM radio on constantly! rock_band.gif

Surfing the 914world.com type.gif

and doing absolutly nothing!
Root_Werks
I run almost everyday. Love it. biggrin.gif
andys
Retired after 25 years of roadracing. Sold everything last December. 5 local and 4 regional class championships; class win at innaugural (2003) race at Californial Speedway in Fontana. New hobby; 914 V8!

Andy
sj914
Getting back to cycling.
Radio control gas cars.
trying to get into pocket bikes.
Guns. Some say I have too many unsure.gif
Jenny
QUOTE(sj914 @ Oct 11 2004, 11:36 AM)
Guns. Some say I have too many unsure.gif

According to my boyfriend, there is no such thing. Especially when you live in Cali, where they keep limiting what you can own. That's his excuse for the last couple ones he's purchased. "But I won't be able to get this a year from now. It'll be banned... sad.gif "

BTW, for those that are interested, 50 cals are a no-no as of Jan 05.

Jen
sj914
QUOTE(Jenny @ Oct 11 2004, 10:42 AM)

BTW, for those that are interested, 50 cals are a no-no as of Jan 05.

CRAP headbang.gif
Jenny
just buy a lower receiver for now and get it registered before next year. You can collect the rest and build at your own pace later.

Hijack over.... back to regularly scheduled OT thread.

Jen
Martin Baker
Are you like Dirty Jenny? 50 Cal? Damn.
Jenny
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Oct 11 2004, 12:05 PM)
Are you like Dirty Jenny? 50 Cal? Damn.

Haven't shot one of those yet. It'd probably dislocate my arm!

My weapon of choice is the AR15 ar15.gif

Jen
sj914
50 cal. is just a half inch whole. biggrin.gif

BTW more to add for hobbies.

Airsoft (it's as close to the real thing as I can get to)
Paintball
sj914
Maybe it's time to move to Nevada. Gun friendly and car friendly.
Martin Baker
Joe Ricard
I just fix shit. If it ain't broke I screw witrh it till it is and then I can fix it
914werke
Hmmm, Hobbies, not just where My time seems to slip away to...
I guess that would be amature mechanical work (like Goeff I alway seem to be helping someone else with thier Car or Bike) working on my Homes (yes the deck is coming along nicley thank you) but my main Vice is Roadracing Motorcycles, in which the opertunity to run seems to be becoming less and less frequent as my Children get older (8 & 5) rolleyes.gif
airsix
First is my family. Wonderful wife, daughter, and one on the way.
By day I'm an investment advisor (fee-only portfolio management)
Next would be 914 repair and modification (the possitive manifold pressure is quite nifty)

Dormant hobbies would include:
flying, scuba, downhill skiing

Semi-active hobbies would be:
fly fishing, mountain-biking, target shooting (benchrest rifle and combat pistol) and falconry

Active list:
914 as stated above
autocross
designing and building custom folding pocketknives (from scratch). This is the most challenging 'work with your hands' task I've ever tackled but it's been very rewarding. I like working with medal and tight tollerances. I must be getting old because any earlier in life an there's no way I'd have the patience for this.

-Ben M.
SLITS
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 10 2004, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE(joe buckle @ Oct 10 2004, 08:24 PM)
I play poker which funds the 914 restorations biggrin.gif

me too, i play hold em most nights in college.

Aaron, you sure you're talkin' cards here?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 11 2004, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 10 2004, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE(joe buckle @ Oct 10 2004, 08:24 PM)
I play poker which funds the 914 restorations biggrin.gif

me too, i play hold em most nights in college.

Aaron, you sure you're talkin' cards here?

yes you old fart.

the game is called texas hold em. (cards!)
JoeSharpOld
With 5 914s it is hard to do anything else. biggrin.gif
Joe
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Oct 11 2004, 03:18 PM)
With 5 914s it is hard to do anything else. biggrin.gif
Joe

i have 3 biggrin.gif
mike_the_man
Hmmm, hobbies, I've got lots of em, but not enough time for any of them lately.

Windsurfing (the best thing I've ever done)
Downhill skiing
Golf
Jogging
Rollerblading
Paintball (just started this year. It's so satisfying to see a paintball explode in your friends face!)
Working on cars, not just the 914
AutoXing
Fixing up my house, planning on redoing the basement into a home theatre and games room this winter

And, because these hobbies don't cost me enough as it is, I'm really hoping to get into Karting next spring. It looks super fun.
/L.
If I'm helping Joe move his cars around the yard, I'm usually at home working on my house, inside and out. There's always things to do. Now my car is fixed, so I'll be driving it for some fun.
helping Mom (76) & Dad (89) it's like driving Miss Daisy rolleyes.gif
Gardening
Fishing
Playing Pool
Relaxing after a day at the Post Office (totally Postal!! ar15.gif )
Hanging with friends & my dog, Bubba (a pug)
And mainly enjoying life! biggrin.gif it's been good to me!

Linda
jfort
my Harley is my second choice ride
also shoot trap and skeet, fish, tennis
new fiancee' is fun, too. maybe i should have put that first in case she looks here
dinomium
I have closed the 914 shop for a while. I realized that I have neglected a LOT of otherthings I really like besides Porsches
Golf (zero rounds this year!)
Sailling ( one series all summer)
Hockey (nill)
Bad git tar playing (just moved my Fender amp outta storage this weekend!)
Skiing (no snow yet)
Surfing (no fit in wet suit anymore)

So the car habit is on hiatus untill I get some otherthings inline... Good thing this site is here!
scottb
outside of work.....

ride bikes with my kids
cook - it is how i decompress from work
brew beer - but haven't had time lately and i need to plumb my new brewing system anyway
gardening - wife digs what i do and i get 'special attention' after doing good work!
try and house train our new puppy
refining plans for finishing out the basement
Jenny
QUOTE(scottb @ Oct 12 2004, 02:33 PM)
try and house train our new puppy

Congrats on the new puppy, Scott. Show us a picture of the little booger!

Jen
scottb
my wife really missed having a puppy after dillon died, so now here is our new mutt parker along with my kids.....
Jenny
wub.gif He's adorable.

Jen
Meredith
So cute! Use this picture to hijack a thread next time an argument is getting out of hand. Should work like a charm.

Mer

Edit-- The "Supersize Me" thread could use it right about now...
Deluxe247
Lots and lots of tournament and recreational paintball... (almost as expensive as the 914)
AZ914
Besides the 914:

1. Workout (mostly weightlifiting, some biking)...
2. Booze...

I know... counter-productive...
Meredith
School and work take up most of my time, so in my free time I'm usually out with friends. Or tagging along with my dad to 914 events. What I would like to get into, however, is:

1. SCUBA diving. scuba.gif Hopefully this will be accomplished next semester.
2. Rock-climbing. I'm not sure how or when I'll do this, but I think it would be fun. Anyone want to learn with me? (Insert rock-climbing smiley here)
3. Cooking lessons. I'm a decent cook, but I want to learn how to do the fancy stuff. chowtime.gif
4. More 914 stuff, of course. driving-girl.gif

Mer
Jenny
QUOTE(Meredith @ Oct 12 2004, 04:31 PM)
2. Rock-climbing. I'm not sure how or when I'll do this, but I think it would be fun. Anyone want to learn with me? (Insert rock-climbing smiley here)

Mer, Planet Granite (or Granite Planet wacko.gif ) is close to where I live. If you ever want to go, shoot me a PM and I'll meet you there. I'd be interested in learning with a newbie.

Jen
Meredith
Oh sweet, thanks. I completely forgot about that place. That would be a great starting point.
Andyrew
OOook. lemme see....

umm...

(thinks deeply)

Hmmm

AH golf!, wait, no I dont do that anymore... 914 sucks up that one..

Hmmm, Work? not a hobbie.. and I only do that so I can do more to the 914...

no girls...

computers, well.... im here, nope that one doesnt count...

games? nope, I only play NFS: PU...

Shoot,

I suck!!!

sad.gif

And my car wont start, so I cant even drive it!!! BAH, Worthless, everything is worthless..

Andrew
dmenche914
Uhm.... eleven cars, all old, Rock Climbing, Bike Riding, Bay and Ocean Kayaking, Did I mention Old cars (Porsche, VW, Kelmark Kitcar, and Triumph) Avid fruit sticker collector, estimated 2000 plus stickers covering kitchen doors, maybe that's just a strange obsession rather than a hobby. HALO on the XBox is fun, can't wait for HALO II, garden work, and home repairs/improvements, also like trying to improve semiconductor processes, but that's a work thing, although still fun and interesting, heck they pay me for it too.

However recovery to injury on hands has preoccupied the last year, so looking forward to next, hope to be healed up, and start to enjoy these things again. Health is number one priority always (with out which you can not enjoy the 914)
tod914

If you decide to get into it, and you need gear, let me know. I'll be putting my equiptment up for sale soon. It's really a great sport. I enjoyed much more than cars. Im sure you'll be hooked once you start. Best thing to do is to learn in a gymn. They can teach you the basics of belaying, tying in, commands, and some basic techniques. ALWAYS go with someone that has alot of experience and make sure each anchor system has a back up!!! Always double check everything. No margin for error here. Be safe and enjoy!
root
Family

Coach High School Hockey

Team WebPage

Eat Pizza, Drink Beer

Cut, Grind, and Weld in the Garage

Listen to BB King

Walk Rocky or wrestle with my pet bear.
ChrisReale
QUOTE(root @ Oct 12 2004, 06:12 PM)

wrestle with my pet bear.

WTF unsure.gif How the hell did you get into that? I had to wrestle a Great Dane puppy that was a bit enthusiastic about licking my face, but I cannot imagine wrestling a bear. Is it fun?
root
Yea!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.