Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Hobbies besides 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Aaron Cox
well. i guess i'll go first.

in my spare time i usually go dawn patrol (surfing in the wee hours of the morning, anyweather im there smile.gif), i skateboard, and snowboard. Trying to get involved in AX this year. i also help my uncle build hotrods.....

what about you?
Rusty
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 10 2004, 06:12 PM)
in my spare time i usually go dawn patrol (surfing in the wee hours of the morning, anyweather im there smile.gif), i skateboard, and snowboard. Trying to get involved in AX this year. i also help my uncle build hotrods.....

Spare time? Outside of 914s and the Club? lol2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Oct 10 2004, 04:23 PM)
Spare time? Outside of 914s and the Club? lol2.gif

agree.gif driving.gif boldblue.gif
TimT
hmmm I love to cook..

Im loving my garden this year also
TheCabinetmaker
Most of my time is spent with the 914's. In my spare time I work! laugh.gif
machina
75 year old house
40 something year old wife
4 year old daughter
9 month old baby

...any questions?
JeffBowlsby
I am a trombone player... biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
9 cars mostly projects, some done, some not. 100 plus year old Victorian house with teenage boys and their friends wrecking stuff faster than I can fix um. Just bought 4.8 acre lake lot and had to clear trees, pay to have a 700 ft road put in and build a bunk house. This on top of my job as a multi-line claims rep. I sleep about 4 hours a night. Life is work, then life is more work. But thanks for asking... <_<

2000 Nissan Xterra (wifes driver)
2003 Mercury Sable (company beater)
95 BMW M3 Builder (Done)
1959 California MGA (Done)
1974 BMW 2002 (project close to done)
1957 VW Oval Rag (total project)
1954 Austin Healey 100-4 (more than a project)
1992 Jeep (son's car) always needs something
1974 Glastron 160 GT Ski Boat ( needs paint over the winter)

Oh ya! The 918-S (The result of an alien abduction, motor is back in woo hoo!)
SGB
I'm spread waaay too thin, but I like it that way-
1. I bicycle almost as much as I 914. including cycling club time. biggrin.gif
2. Music with friends at his studio is a can't miss it thing. laugh.gif
3. Radio Controlled Airplane club gets time, too. smile.gif
4. Teen-aged son (914 junkie #1). Driving permit. Get it? wacko.gif
5. His younger brother (914 junkie #2 and my cycling buddy) has frequent marching band related events I like to attend. cool.gif
6. Wife is full time in teaching severly handicapped kids (she gets tired y'know?) headbang.gif
7. I'm usually over my 40 hr week as Environmental Engineer when I am not out of town as Environmental Eng.... type.gif

What I don't do much is sleep. monkeydance.gif
stevend
read the sig:
73 track car
74 2.0 restoreing
89 944 180k miles, fixing
90 truck maintanince
coach lacrosse and trave three days a week../?????

oh when I have time and money, at the track!!
stevend
oops son's siign on...
bob91403
I design and build R/C aircraft. I love Dremel.
nebreitling
hang with my groupies.
Aaron Cox
groupies? i thought they were called "life partners" in san fran lol2.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 10 2004, 05:07 PM)
groupies? i thought they were called "life partners"  in san fran lol2.gif

also called, my "students"

attn. Stanford Administrators: the above was a joke.
Lou W
Mortgage Loan Rep is my fulltime job, General Contractor is my side job. Im currently remodelling our 27 year old home, relandscaped the front and back added a pool and spa, moving walls, enlarging bathrooms, building new kitchen cabinents, just finished sheet rocking the ceiling in my garage and added ceiling fans and built new cabinents, ripped out the old ones. Hope now I can get back to work on my 914. Oh yah, I have a 1974 Chev half ton slammed, etc, use to be my dads, I'll get back to finishing that one when I'm done with the 914.
spare time toys
I do special olympics with my oldest boy and baseball with my younger boy and take my little girl "shopping" and then there is what i call work I get to play with multi million dollar aircraft and keep up in a simulator biggrin.gif
azbill
I retired from Az. State Land Department - Chief Appraiser last October. Now a real estate appraiser/broker helping school districts with real estate issues. Rebuilding/restoring a '73 2.0 teener. Doing some bass fishing and keeping up with a 30 year old house that is starting to need everything. That's my life now. AzPorsche cool.gif
Rhodes71/914
I like to play with boats in the summer, I have a couple of 14' runabouts that I'm always doing something to, but at least one is ready to go in the water at all times.

In the winter I have a couple of 30+ yo Rupp snowmobiles that require some tinkering but they sure are fun. Not a bit like todays monsters

There is a '67 21 window VW bus that is very neglected now that I have a 914.

And of course my 3 yo and 9 month old keep me busy on the nights that mom is at work.

Heck I got lots of free time I need another hobby.
beerchug.gif
Qarl
Fishing - I love to fish. Bought a new boat. Learning to fish from the boat now (freshwater)

Shotgun sports (sporting clays, five stand). Only when it is cooler out. Still learning though. I went shooting today. It was fun.

I like to cook - I'm a natural in the kitchen

I used to brew beer, but sold my equipment when we moved. I won 3rd place in the Central Florida Fair with my stout (Guiness copy).

And of course... my family (but that's not a hobby, that's my life)!
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 10 2004, 03:12 PM)

in my spare time i usually go dawn patrol (surfing in the wee hours of the morning, anyweather im there smile.gif)

You are killing me with this. When my wife and I first met we spent 3 months at Playa Guiones, Costa Rica. Dawn patrol surfing is the best! aktion035.gif

sr
thomasotten
I have several hobbies, but most are on hold:

R/C airplanes, R/C cars.
Playing the keyboard
bike riding
model building
landscaping/gardening
web design
VW car shows

If it wasn't for me having to work on this house all the time, I would actually do one of my hobbies. I know all about treating a house for termites, by the way. sawzall-smiley.gif
Maltese Falcon
I'm restoring our 1929 Spanish style home . It was originally the residence of Warner Bros. screen actor Sydney Greenstreet (1940s). We have a dedicated Bogie room and a Blue Parrot room . When not under the 914, at the 8 to 5, or hammering , I like to watch the old B & W classics with a couple of cold ones beer3.gif
McMark
914's for work, 914's for hobby. Life is good. biggrin.gif
bondo
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Oct 10 2004, 07:42 PM)
I know all about treating a house for termites, by the way. sawzall-smiley.gif

Do tell! I have a jukebox that was infested with termites.. I dug out as much of the rotten wood as I could, sprayed term-out into what was left, and built new parts to replace what was totally gone. Now several months later, termites are back!
skline
The car is my only hobby, I cant afford any others. I am either at work, sleeping or working on this car. My life really sucks.
tracks914
Winter - Snowmobiling, downhill skiing, computers, ice fishing and 914 restoration.
Summer -biking (mountain and road), stockcar racing, fishing, camping, 914 restoration.

Wife, 2 girls, dog and full time job to fill in the rest of the hours.

Life keeps getting in the way of all the funs things I want to do! cool_shades.gif I need 30 hour days!
thomasotten
bondo:

If they came back, that means they are established somewhere in the ground around your house. (that is if they are the subterranean type - the little white ones). THey must return to the soil for moisture, they can't just live in your wood jukebox. So what you need to do is treat the perimeter with Premise 2, you can order it yourself without a license. Then, treat any wood with Bora-Care.
VegasRacer
I fly stunt kites when the wind is good.

I collect license plates and I'm on the board of directors for an International license plate collector club. (I am glad our web site does not have an active forum like the 914club or I would never get anything done.)
bondo
These are the drywood termites. The jukebox came from my parents' house, where it got infested originally. It then sat on its back in my truck, while I gutted it and did my best to treat it (including 2 bug bombs IN the truck with the gaps taped shut). Then I moved it to my garage, where it sat for a month or so. After it seemed like the termites had been beaten I repaired it, and moved it to the dining room. Several months after that the piles of droppings and dead winged termites appeared on the floor (laminate, not real wood thankfully). Now something like 5 termites a day flop out of the thing, and get eaten by the ants (a second but less destructive infestation) There is definitely no sign of them getting to soil (the jukebox is on wheels and we moved it to the middle of the floor). They sure are resilent little buggers!
thomasotten
QUOTE(bondo @ Oct 10 2004, 07:06 PM)
They sure are resilent little buggers!

I would get that juke box out of your house ASAP. I have heard about those drywood termites where they have to come out and put a canopy over your whole house and then turn up the heat to kill them! Termites are like terrorists. They live in tiny cells, and if you kill that cell you haven't necessarily won the war. They only way to win with them, is to bring the battle to them. Make life so unbearable for them that they move on somewhere else, or get poisioned trying to attack your structures. I would get it out of your house and then treat it with Bora-care or timbor for starters.

http://www.epestsupply.com/drywood_termites.htm
JB 914
I play poker which funds the 914 restorations biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(joe buckle @ Oct 10 2004, 08:24 PM)
I play poker which funds the 914 restorations biggrin.gif

me too, i play hold em most nights in college.
i love porsche
hehe everyone playes hold em at my school...its a cult
i try to stay away from gambling

when im not thinking about cars (my 914 in general)
im thinking about snowboarding, i cant wait for this season, it will be my 10th season riding, every one gets better than before =]
morph
i started appearance & performance. to keep me busy after retireng from the daily grind.bills get paid automaticlly house is paid for.i turned all my attention to 914s and my two boys.we ride bikes go to the beach.my hobbies are really teaching them new things.i love to fly kites,its very relaxing.im gonna do some rocketry this next summer.
i also like to study neroscience,and quantumphysics.i used to build models but i dont do that anymore.next year ill travel alittle but that will be to attend porsche shows or swap meets.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 10 2004, 06:10 PM)
attn. Stanford Administrators: the above was a joke.

BUSTED!!!! laugh.gif
bondo
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Oct 10 2004, 08:20 PM)

I would get that juke box out of your house ASAP. I have heard about those drywood termites where they have to come out and put a canopy over your whole house and then turn up the heat to kill them! Termites are like terrorists. They live in tiny cells, and if you kill that cell you haven't necessarily won the war. They only way to win with them, is to bring the battle to them. Make life so unbearable for them that they move on somewhere else, or get poisioned trying to attack your structures. I would get it out of your house and then treat it with Bora-care or timbor for starters.

http://www.epestsupply.com/drywood_termites.htm

Thanks for the info.. I like that heat trick they mention, I think everything in the jukebox could handle 150 degrees no problem. I don't want to just stick the thing outside, because it's worth about $4000, and we live in a very damp climate. I'll probably build an insulated box around it and heat it until the suckers die.. then I'll use the leftovers to finally build my powdercoating oven smile.gif

(Thread hijack over) smile.gif
Trekkor
I have had many hobbies..

Trombone playing? Yes...20+ years jazz.
Beer making? Yes...Pale, lager, stout. Made tangerine pale once.
Cooking? Oh yes, I love to BBQ anything. tonight it was new yorks with green peppercorn demi-glaze and red potatoes over mesquite..uh huh. chowtime.gif

then there's...things I've done.
r/c 's, rockets, gardening, dancing, baseball ( playing and watching ), cycling, boogiebording, surfing, skimboarding, skiiing, fishing, golf, boating, drumming, ice carving, camping, hiking.

I do many things.

KT
dan10101
Well let's see.

Family
Cars, it's been that way on and off since I was 15.
(it's back on again...)
Autocross and Time trials (next year after Andrew turns 18)
Golf- I was pretty good until I got back into cars again.
Running Sound at church (Yamaha DM1000, cool box)
Trying to keep Andrew busy on his car.
Trying to keep the wife content with household remodels.

Get this. She is practically begging us to start building on the second garage. As long as we keep the place messy, she thinks it will be bettery (clean) when we have more room. We'll get it built and then we'll see smash.gif Of course part of the remodel is building her an inside laundry room.

4 car garage monkeydance.gif

I'm sitting here smelling paint fumes after painting the office and finally getting my desk/computer put back together. I work here too, so I have to be ready for tomorrow...
MattR
Ive been racing RC cars for a little over 6 years. I now work for a comany designing cars.

And Im a student. Now I can say Im a VW junkie because I added a '69 squareback to my collection to drive while the 914 is still on jackstands. Too bad it overheated today...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(MattR @ Oct 10 2004, 09:29 PM)
Ive been racing RC cars for a little over 6 years. I now work for a comany designing cars.

And Im a student. Now I can say Im a VW junkie because I added a '69 squareback to my collection to drive while the 914 is still on jackstands. Too bad it overheated today...

so that was you on fire? laugh.gif
MattR
OVERHEATED, not BLEW UP...

damn porsche drivers think they're better then everyone else bootyshake.gif
Carlitos Way
I work for a drug manufacturing company during the day. ohmy.gif Sorry, legal drugs only. smile.gif

At night I host/run a karaoke show 5 nights per week. beerchug.gif Free drinks. beer.gif I get paid to drink beer3.gif , play music and chat with pretty girls at a bar... aktion035.gif It's a terrible job. NOT!!!! happy11.gif

Occasionally, on weekends I have the occasional private party/wedding/event to DJ. w00t.gif

Most every Saturday evening, I play poker with the guys cool_shades.gif

Approximately once a month I play paintball with my friends... ar15.gif

And I just bought my 914, so I know my savings will be drained for wacko.gif A LONG TIME!!!

mueba.gif Ain't life grand? drunk.gif
Jenny
Hmmm.. Besides work and commute, I

-try to spend time with my family since I moved out <1 year ago
-play with puppy (Snoopy)
-Netflix
-cook & bake
-surf internet/BBS--I mean, forum
-minimal tv
-make jewelry
-knit scarves (no old maid jokes, thank you very much)
-listen to music
-breakfast with 914 friends once a month
-target practice
-watch baseball
-AX (definitely more next year, hopefully)

Jen
Kevin@ojai.net
I really enjoy brewing beer. The porter I made a while back is damn good beer3.gif.

The SAE supermileage vehicle takes pretty much all of my free time. I some how got suckerd into being "team captain" this year, so it is taking up just about all of my time. I still manage to find time to throw back a few sierra nevadas (I'm in Chico, so its the "cheap" stuff) during the weekend, but otherwise its mostly SMV related stuff.

When I get the chance I also enjoy fishing and water skiing, as well as wrenching on whatever car project I have going on.

-Kevin
DuckRyder
Currently my truck is my main affliction.

Same old story as usual, I was just going to freshen up the motor, now it looks like this:

IPB Image

Mild hydralic cam changed to mild solid cam, which changed to slightly hotter can which changed to solid roller...............

Should make mid 450 horses or so..................

IF I ever get to leave Florida.
william harris
I have four teenage sons. The oldest is a freshman at Suffolk University, so we only see him once or twice a month for a visit. The other three boys and I are paintball fanatics. They are pretty good, I'm the big target splattered with paint. ar15.gif
Bleyseng
My other "hobbies" wow, I guess being pretty social.
Monique and I have people over quiet abit cuz she is a good cook. biggrin.gif
During the summer I rollerblade,
during the winter I ski,
I help others fix their cars,
I am always in the middle of remodeling something on the house,
and I take thousands of pics that aren't organized,
and I take one month off each year to travel out of the USA.

I don't watch tv but instead read tons of books.

Geoff
porschefool
I used to be TOTALLY into arcade games. The full size buggers, mind you. After fixing/selling/hauling them around for 6 years or so, I've decided to knock it off for a while...just a few personal ones left in the garage now (Red Baron, Battlezone, Space Invaders, Street Fighter).
Now I'm completely into the Space Program (early stuff, Mercury/Gemini/Apollo)
And spend way too much time reading mission transcripts and the like (today is the 36th anniversary of Apollo 7, and the 38th anniversary of...me!) and building models.

Other than that, 5 acres which need CONSTANT mowing, a '79 XJ6 that loves attention (and oil), 18 month old daughter and a 3 month old son...

Oh, yeah, a day job, another company I own that is now 300 miles away, a FORD (does it matter which one?) and there is just never enough time for the teener..plus, I'm ignoring it right now, after it ate up most of my summer tracking down a failing MPS problem...that'll teach it. Oooh, look...sunshine! pop the top! driving.gif
kafermeister
....well, I do got stuff other than 914world.com.....but not much. :-)

I've got this Beetle I've been working on until this past spring. Body has been off for rustoration/paint since '98.Beetle project as of April 04. It's probably going to get the rest of the paint (outside and interior) applied this winter.

I put a few nights into a startup business where we specialize in commercial real estate signs, store fronts, and magnetic automobile stuff. Hope to be doing boat graphics by next summer. Lots of boat people in Cincy.

We have a 15mo old so he occupies all the time that isn't otherwise spoken for.

Oh, and last but not least, the garage is filled to capacity with stuff out of the house while we build this New House. It's still in the works. Haven't touched any garage projects since July.

....basically, I don't have time to eat. Can't wait for the day when the projects are done and I can sell/give away all the spare parts.

Rick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.