Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Supersize Me
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Meredith
I agree with you, Lawrence.
scottb
mer said i should post this if things got to stressful over on this thread.....

big deep breath.....
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(vortrex @ Oct 12 2004, 02:24 PM)
I moved to philly (unhealthy) from san francisco (healthy) recently. the first thing I noticed here was A LOT of dunkin donuts. so one day I put in my address to the dunkin donuts store locator and found there were 45 within a 5 mile radius of my house!! now is that crazy or what??

Didn't know Philly was such a donut town. Hey at least their coffee is whole bean, and they been doin 'lot longer than Starbucks (the micky dees of the coffee world).

sr
SirAndy
QUOTE(scottb @ Oct 12 2004, 06:03 PM)
mer said i should post this if things got to stressful over on this thread.....

the puppy looks kind of FAT tho ...

idea.gif Andy
scottb
puppy is normal, my kids are abnormally thin...... i blame the media..... cool_shades.gif
soloracer
I haven't seen the movie yet but read somewhere that he consumed 6000 calories each meal (or something in that order). In all fairness to McDonalds and the other fast food chains that is a ridiculous amount to eat. Even healthy things can be bad for you if you take them in excess. Moderation and variety is the key - not avoidance all together.

On another topic, cute puppy. What breed is he/she?
scottb
parker is a rescue dog. my wife was on a mission to save a dog and happened on him. part chow and part ?..... the guess is german sheperd. a great little guy.
Lou W
Damn, my jelly doughnut dripped all over my keyboard. Cute dog smile.gif
Dr Evil
Took a while to calm down. I was in MattR mode when I first read some of this and then I thought, "well, maybe they just don't have the same perspective." Being in the psych/medical scholastic game I get to see a lot of research. I too at first was like, "shit, woman, exercise some self restraint!" I have since learned the error of my ways. First: obesity can be genetically linked, but the mass publicization of such a phenomenon seems to be causing many to adopt this excuse when it is not nearly as prevalent. The secoind thing I would like to mention is that, just as someone here already stated, obesity is a symptom of a behavioral condition. Now who among you would like to go out and crucify some mannic depressive people with me? I'm sure someone just thought, "thats different, that is due to chemical imballance." Ok, how about doing some anxiety bashing? Nothing is more fun than fucking with people that suffer from anxiety (and no, it is not all chemical), right? I thinkthat you are all falling into a sort of prejudice based on the media portrail of fat people, and your own personal contact with fat people. It would be pretty impossible for you to do a random sample, in your day to day life, of fat people that would yeild a reliable demographic break down. Prejudicing is a natural thing, it kept us from eating the red barries that killed Throg back in the cave days. But, to not use your mind to decide that people that have a weight problem may need help instead of riddicule seems to me to be lazy and analagous to what you are trying to accuse the fat people of. Yes the woman with the 44oz bitching about no 60oz tha has the extra 200lbs is a burden on our system, but dont you think that she would have a better time changing her habbits if she looked out at the world and saw encourage ment, not belittlement? Your contempt is very obvious, even if you try to conceal because it is accepted in our culture to persecute the fat kid. Thus, even if you are not thinking about the extra 200lbs, they will likely percieve you as doing so because of social norms.
Saying someone is fat because they have no self control is tantamount to saying that someone cant read because they dont understand the words. It is a circular deffinition that accomplishes nothing. I have fat friends and I encourage them with every attempt that they make and every day I have to make my voice louder than all of "those people" that wish to blame and discourage. "Just change" is a suggestion that offers no mode of enactment. I undrstand emotions, and when I filter out the disenfranchised feelings that some of you have I still see reasonable people that could do so much good with these calories that they are burning inthe course of being harsh and judgmental. Eating right is as hard as quitting smoking or drugs for some (many) people. Be your brothers keeper. Don't focus on those that are not helping themselves. They are what they are and if you can't be supportive then be silent. For those that wish to change give them every encouragement that you can afford them.
To those of you who have lost weight, I respect, admire, and applaud your effort. To those of you affraid to try, I will be here for support when youare ready. Its amazing the psychological power of a thought, or a word.

On a lighter note, I am eating tato chips with dip and drinking tomato juice (with vodka) as I type this. 6'2" 215. Moderation. I don't do it every night.
vortrex
there are exceptions to every rule in life, but most fat people are fat because they eat like pigs and sit around all day watching tv.
Dr Evil
And it pleases you on some subcontious level to point out that problem and offer not positive re enforcement for change. On this topic, you are a real winner <_<
vortrex
if I could snatch the twinkies from their chubby hands I would!!
Meredith
Anymore puppy pictures? It seemed to work for a little while...
SpecialK
How ironic, "Why can't we be friends" by 'War' is playing on the radio right now....Yeah, I'm with Meredith, more fat puppy pics!
Aaron Cox
just delete this thread mad.gif
Meredith
Me and my sister's dog...
vortrex
here is the puppy I bought my mom for xmas!
Meredith
My dog and my sister's. I know they're not bouncy little puppies, but still...
Dr Evil
nice one, more! I feel better.
Aaron Cox
i got 2 golden retrievers
vortrex
one more..
Meredith
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 12 2004, 08:46 PM)

pictures?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Meredith @ Oct 12 2004, 08:46 PM)
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 12 2004, 08:46 PM)

pictures?

on other comp. i promise ill post them smile.gif

ones a pup, ones 4 years. they carck me up...stooges
Meredith
One more. I promise I'm done now.

And please, ignore the ugly sofa that took up residence in our backyard for far too long.
Rhodes71/914
Here ya Mer go my son and our dog a couple of christmases ago.

But I don't see anything wrong with a little spirited discussion either.
Rhodes71/914
oops heres the pic
campbellcj
I agree that some people just have no self-respect or concern for their own well-being, and are totally out of control with regard to consumption of all kinds of stuff...pick yer poison. Yep, they cost us all in taxpayer-subsidized healthcare and general costs to society, and it's a problem that needs to be tackled.

However I also know many extremely bright, confident, successful individuals who also happen to be "large people". Most of them do not seem to eat an inordinate amount -- in fact the same or less than me -- from what I've observed. I think genetics has to be a significant factor.

IMO Rusty is right that there should be no place on this board for hateful or disparaging remarks about other people, especially when they might apply to other 914club members! There is a clear line between constructive comments that might help guide better habits or trigger a worthwhile discussion, and plain old rude insults.
Meredith
QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Oct 12 2004, 08:54 PM)
But I don't see anything wrong with a little spirited discussion either.

Oh, neither do I. But when the dialogue gets a little too spirited, it's time to call in the dogs. They're a good diffuser.
Meredith
QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Oct 12 2004, 08:54 PM)
Here ya Mer go my son and our dog a couple of christmases ago.

By the way, cute son! And dog.
Rhodes71/914
OK then back on the original topic about "the crap we eat"

I had a nice big salad, lots of fresh veggies purchased at the local farmers market, a little salami, and Blue Cheese dressing. I know dressing has a lot of fat, but I think I can handle it. Oh and a piece of garlic bread, gotta have some carbs.

What about you? You fast food people don't be shy.

sr
By the way, cute son! And dog.

My son, alec is a cheeser for the camera.
MattR
I had class from 5 to 9, so I havent had a chance to eat... go figure, I check the board while my stomach growls.

Puppy pics?

Here's my bro and my dog a couple of years ago. The dog is almost 3!!!
vortrex
here is some good news for everyone, hot off the press.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../food_survey_dc

seems we are holding steady this year at only 62% of people being overweight.
Otmar
Oooh, Puppy pics!
I wasn't a real dog person until I fell in love with this woman with an amazing dog.
That's all past, but the memories of the dog remain. smile.gif
Let's see if the pic makes it......
wheelo
He who lives in a glass house,
Shouldn't throw stones.... chair.gif

Genes...Yep, compulsive....Yep, inactive....Yep,

Big F 'n Deal !!! MattR has perspective on this...
society is obsessed with appearance and youth..

I suggest that you pay attention to both the 70lb anorexic 15yr old girl and the 300lb tele-tubby living in your neighborhood.... oh, they are there, you just have to look past their physical shapes... to get a glimpse of the human being....I was an athlete, have a BA in Physical Ed; yada, yada, yada...... Got news for mr. 5miles @ lunch ....
Exercise can be an addiction too ! Can you say...over-the-top ! I don't want my kids to be fat and overweigt either... but would I love them any less? Hell No !

Everyone have a doughnut.... chill-out
carbs rock! stress kills !

Balance Bros & Sis...

smoke.gif
lagunero
WOW! this thread as really taken off. Strange (to me) that a topic like this would stir up so many emotions and face less tolerance than other posts. I haven't seen the movie but I have seen "Shallow Hal" wink.gif A few comments: the member formerly known as Shotgun had it right first. Not only stupid people say stupid things. We are judged in certain levels by our appearance. The more you eat the more you eat. We are our DNA. A few observations: don't you just hate the fact that it costs LOTS more to eat healthy than it does to eat junk food and less convenient to boot. Shouldn't all produce be "organic"? Why make mention of a "burden" when we all participate in one act or another that places a "burden" on our society. For those of us who live in the USA, why must we exercise to "stay fit"? Is it because we are the reaping the spoils of the Industrial Revolution? If you must supplement anything at that point it seizes to be "natural" or "normal", for better or for worse. According to the experts I'm 40 lbs. overweight. Who's fatter, the Rich or the Poor? Where's that rabbit with the pancake on it's head?

edited for Special K biggrin.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(lagunero @ Oct 13 2004, 12:31 AM)
WOW! this thread as really taken off. Strange (to me) that a topic like this would stir up so many emotions and face less tolerance than other posts. I haven't seen the movie but I have seen "Shallow Hal" wink.gif A few comments: the member formerly known as Shotgun had it right first. Not only stupid people say stupid things. We are judged in certain levels by our appearance. The more you eat the more you eat. We are our DNA. A few observations: don't you just hate the fact that it costs LOTS more to eat healthy than it does to eat junk food and less convenient to boot. Shouldn't all produce be "organic"? Why make mention of a "burden" when we all participate in one act or another that places a "burden" on our society. For those of us who live in the USA, why must we exercise to "stay fit"? Is it because we are the reaping the spoils of the Industrial Revolution? If you must supplement anything at that point it seizes to be "natural" or "normal", for better or for worse. According to the experts I'm 40 lbs. overweight. Who's fatter, the Rich or the Poor? Where's the that rabbit with the pancake on it's head?

Okay...I was right with you up until the "rabbit with the pancake on his head" huh.gif biggrin.gif
SpecialK
smoke.gif smoke.gif beer3.gif ......Oh..now I get it. biggrin.gif
SpecialK
They say a health diet and exercise can add ten years to your life. But it's the last ten, and they suck anyway........do what makes you feel good! beer.gif
Howard
Eat anything I want, carry 25 pounds I don't need, get little exercise, like my Stoli, and damned if I can stop smoking. Know it's all bad, but my BP and cholesterol are fine, I feel good, so must believe that genetics help.

That, and liberal doses of mind altering drugs, have taught me far greater tolerance of others' shortcomings. So to all you beautiful, slender, intelligent, wealthy, healthy and perfect people out there, please have the wisdom to cut the rest of us a little slack.

And say hi to Bitsy!
tdgray
I hope that is highlighter on your desk calendar or Bitsy just made a no-no biggrin.gif
Howard
QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 13 2004, 12:38 PM)
I hope that is highlighter on your desk calendar or Bitsy just made a no-no biggrin.gif

You're right on both counts. At that age I used her as a highliter icon8.gif
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 12 2004, 09:16 AM)
Run 5 miles during my lunch and drink mostly water or Milk.
No Soda, hardly ever Juice even.

how do you do THAT?

Especially the NO SODA part. I've just recently began trying to drink Diet Pepsi mon-fri, but damn it's hard to do.
EdwardBlume
Wow.. I started this post. Left it alone and come back and see dog picts everywehre. biggrin.gif

I love you guys! idea.gif

After we saw the movie, we went and bought it because we want to see it again and again to be reminded about the message. I'm truly horrified by what I've seen because its all true.

Good luck to all!
Trekkor
I started to watch the movie the other night. I was too tired to finish. I watch the rest tonight.

Got to the part where hr has his last healthy meal and starts going toward a culinary catastrophe. chowtime.gif

Report and pic of my belly later.

KT
Lou W
This is Fifi cool.gif
bryanthompson
Omaha.com has an article today about the cost of obesity on the healthcare system:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg...2&u_sid=1235702

"More than a quarter of the phenomenal growth in health care spending over the past 15 years is attributable to obesity, Emory University researchers reported Tuesday.

With 60 percent of the U.S. population deemed overweight or obese, report author Kenneth Thorpe said, the only way to control soaring medical costs is to begin targeting prevention efforts and treatment on the most costly weight-related illnesses, such as diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease. "
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Oct 13 2004, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 12 2004, 09:16 AM)
Run 5 miles during my lunch and drink mostly water or Milk.  
No Soda, hardly ever Juice even.

how do you do THAT?

Especially the NO SODA part. I've just recently began trying to drink Diet Pepsi mon-fri, but damn it's hard to do.

Well, I said I wouldn't post to this forum again because I felt like I was pissing people off. Oh well, I am a liar now. biggrin.gif

The running was something someone got me into only a couple of years back. I had run off and on before, but nothing consistant. Ever since I found a few people ran during thier lunch at work, I started doing the same and have been hooked ever since. I don't do it to stay thin more so, it is a break from my desk. All I do is sit at work. I know the human body was not meant to sit all day. So I move around as much as possible. I like running, it gives me a chance to challenge myself on something other than why didn't this friggen variable pass by reference rather than value! mad.gif

The soda thing is recent for both my wife and I. My son came home with a tooth just over a year ago (out of his mouth). He had heard a glass of soda would make it "melt". I said yes it would. We did the little experiment putting the tooth in a glass of soda. The next morning it was small and black. Looked gross. Left it in for another day and it was gone. That pretty much did it for us.

We first backed off to Diet soda's, but our dentist said they were just as bad. Don't know if that was a line or not, but not going back to it.

5 years ago I couldn't do this, but at anytime for the last 4 years, I could run/hike packing gear flat out for 25 minutes before I would have to slow my pace. I can jump and play with my cub scout group, pull myself up the monkey bars with one arm, jump across one play toy to another so my feet don't touch the ground (lava tag) biggrin.gif and pick 2-3 of them up over my shoulders. They are a bunch of 9-11 year old boys and love it when it is my turn to lead the scouts for a night. I am only 31 and far too young to be out of shape. I don't mind growing old at all. Give me grey hair, wrinkly skin, whatever. I will age gracefully, but even at 90, I will be running around the house with a woody chasing my wife. biggrin.gif

This is a bizzare forum and I didn't want to post again, but someone asked a question and it is impolite not to answer. wink.gif
Jeff Bonanno
as has been mentioned, genetics can play a dramatic role (see pic). the mouse on the right is engineered to be missing the gene for the protein leptin. humans also have this gene.

Amgen bought the rights to leptin from rockefeller university and placed it in human trials for control of severe obesity:

leptin overview

oh yeah, by the way, it is rare to have the homozygous mutations in leptin which confer this phisiological effect, see (among many other sources):

some leptin background

jbb
3liter914-6
IPB Image
MarkG
On the tooth decay/soda issue, soda has 2 things going bad for it:

1. sugar

2. Phosphoric Acid (or, as you body shop guys know it as, Metal Prep).

There is some medical research that shows a certain small portion of people will be big no matter what. For the rest of us, it seems to be lifestyle.

Years ago I went from 260lb to 168lb using the New Balance diet: I bought a pair of
New Balance 990 running shoes and used them for what they were designed for. At same time I slightly changed my eating habits, eating at home more often and slightly cutting back on the junk. Added weight training and Jazzercise after a couple of months.

Someone mention in an earlier post the situation with some American Indian groups. I grew up in Gallup NM in the middle of the Navajo/Hopi Nations. Obesity was evident everywhere. Fried breads and other high fat foods and alcohol played a major part of their diet. But when one studies the history of the Indian Wars, this weight problem - and modern diet - were non-existent among the Indian Nations (even before 'manifest destiny').

It would seem that the 'modern' diet combined with a lack of hard exercise that they once experienced just to survive, has affected these peoples perhaps even more than European immigrants. So in this case one might surmise that, even though the diet and lifestyle is poor, 'genetics' plays a bigger part in their ability to adapt to the 'modern ways than the European Americans.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.