Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Supersize Me
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
EdwardBlume
Oh my God...... what a hard lesson. Its amazing the crap we eat and the pressures put on kids to perpetuate it.

This truly is an epidemic based on cash over ethics. If you haven't seen the movie- take a look....
lagunero
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Oct 11 2004, 11:54 PM)

This truly is an epidemic based on cash over ethics.

what is left out there that isn't? it really is lonely at the top.
Root_Werks
Never seen it, but would like to. I think it is a matter of choice. I sit at a desk and code for 8 hours a day. Sucks, but pays the bills. About twice a week, someone will bring in those gross cream crisp doughnuts or whatever the hell they are. They alway offer them to me. Fricken yuck, no thanks. I also turn down any other foods brought in. Yeah, that is what I need to do, sit on my ass all day AND eat a bunch of shit. So I take my breaks and walk or throw a ball as hard as I can (Left then rigth arms) on the back of the building. Run 5 miles during my lunch and drink mostly water or Milk. No Soda, hardly ever Juice even. The result: The thinest heathliest person in my building by far. I think this movie will make me laugh my tail off. Now for a down note:

My son lives with his Mother and is 11 now. He sports the "Pear" shape now which pisses me off to no end. When I get him for more than a week she will call me pissed off because he is so skinky. Dang, no, he is just healthy. He constantly bugs me to eat at McShit or BurgerFat or whatever. But since I don't eat at places like that, neither is he on my watch. All he wants to do is play Nintendo. So I drag his butt outside every weekend and put him to work. This weekend we are hiking up Fire Mountain with his Cub Scouts. Should be cool and fun.

Okay, off my soap box now. Sorry. wink.gif
Rhodes71/914
My kids are still pretty young 3 and 9 months, but I plan on doing everything in my power to keep them away from the Mcnastys and Taco Hells of the world.
fiid
My wife and I were in the Wait List Line at Sundance (at 6am in the morning) waiting to see this movie. It had a huge amount of buzz and everyone was afraid that it would never see the light of day because of legal troubles. Morgan (the guy) and a couple of producers, etc showed up and gave everyone McD's for breakfast. Didn't get to see it until 6mo later at the SFFF.

Awesome movie!
eeyore
I'll have a more comprehensive reply once I finish my McSausage and large OJ. McDs is all of 70 feet from my keyboard. It's the longest walk I make in a day. Its all about moderation and I've held steady at 270 lbs for the last 4 years...
GaroldShaffer
to keep them away from the Mcnastys and Taco Hells of the world.

It only takes one time, then its a constant battle. My boy will be 3, ask me how I know, damn playrooms. Thanks Grandma headbang.gif

On a side note we do stop from time to time at fast food places. Just because you do, doesn't mean you have to eat the deep fried crap. Wendy's is the best, we can get two salads with grilled chicken, orange slices yep they have them, and milk. We give the boy some of the chicken, he eats the oranges and has milk.

If you know me I am NOT skinny, 5'7" @ 215 in general good health. Its just a matter what you eat if/when you go to these places.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Cloudbuster @ Oct 12 2004, 08:40 AM)
I'll have a more comprehensive reply once I finish my McSausage and large OJ. McDs is all of 70 feet from my keyboard. It's the longest walk I make in a day. Its all about moderation and I've held steady at 270 lbs for the last 4 years...

laugh.gif chairfall.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Oct 12 2004, 08:45 AM)
to keep them away from the Mcnastys and Taco Hells of the world.

It only takes one time, then its a constant battle. My boy will be 3, ask me how I know, damn playrooms. Thanks Grandma headbang.gif

On a side note we do stop from time to time at fast food places. Just because you do, doesn't mean you have to eat the deep fried crap. Wendy's is the best, we can get two salads with grilled chicken, orange slices yep they have them, and milk. We give the boy some of the chicken, he eats the oranges and has milk.

If you know me I am NOT skinny, 5'7" @ 215 in general good health. Its just a matter what you eat if/when you go to these places.

Funny that you mentioned Wendy's. We do go there occasionaly because of exactly what you said. Great marketing on their part putting some good stuff in the kids meals.
Bleyseng
I have always hated those fast food places except for the fries. Now those aren't too bad as long as you don't eat them everyday.

Damn, I don't have the time to run 5 miles at lunch but I don't eat all those doughnuts and sugar for coffeebreak either.

I have noticed that in general the women are way thinner in Europe and in even more shape in South America. biggrin.gif
They just don't go into McD's when there are way better street vendors for cheaper. People actually walk and ride a bike elsewhere to get around instead of drive the car to go two blocks to the store.

Me, I am 5'11" and weight 178lbs...

Geoff
Root_Werks
Last week my wife and I rode our bicycles into down for dinner. Mexican, nummy! About 2.25 miles one way. It is all just lifestyle. The human body was not meant to sit still. I would rather die while running at the age of 40 (31 now) than to die 100+ sitting on a couch watching TV eating tato chips. wink.gif
Meredith
I'm finding that as I leave the teenage years behind, I'm also leaving my desire for fast food. I used to eat it all the time. Now I can't stand the stuff. Usually I'm not hungry enough to stop somewhere instead of waiting until I get home. And if I can't wait, I have a box of Triscuits in my car. Works for me.
Jenny
My family never ate out. Not family restaurants, not fine dining, not fast food. We always ate at home. When we went skiing, we'd get McDonalds for breakfast on our way to the slopes. If there was a family dinner planned, it was at a chinese restaurant (naturally). Fast food was always somewhat of a treat for me. But I can't stand too much of it either. Since I moved out of my parents' house, I have it maybe once every two weeks. And I never finish my fries. smile.gif

Jen
monkei
My company makes a lot of bits and pieces for diabetes care including battery contacts for the meters and such. With the way the American Diet is going, I will retire early! Keep eating those burgers and fries, I am ready for the golden years!
Root_Werks
QUOTE(monkei @ Oct 12 2004, 09:36 AM)
My company makes a lot of bits and pieces for diabetes care including battery contacts for the meters and such. With the way the American Diet is going, I will retire early! Keep eating those burgers and fries, I am ready for the golden years!

Read a few places that 25% of children will have some form of diabetes, so yeah, I am in the wrong business. Just hope my kid will not be one of them. wink.gif
bryanthompson
We don't need the government or some propagandist telling us what not to eat. I'm sure I don't have the healthiest diet in the world, but a little, no, the tiniest bit of common sense will tell you that you have to be a complete idiot to eat three big macs a day and not expect problems.

If you want to smoke, smoke. It may kill you, but if you enjoy it, hell, if it's legal it must not be that bad, right?

If you want a big mac, eat a big mac.

I don't care what people do to themselves, as long as it's legal, neither should anyone else. When it gets to the point when they start suing over their own stupidity or the government starts limiting my choice because of someone else's irresponsibility, i get pissed. The purpose of this movie is to open up the same types of lawsuits that we saw in the 90's involving cigarette companies on fast food companies. It’s ridiculous.

{bryan steps off soap box}
fiid
QUOTE(bryanthompson @ Oct 12 2004, 10:16 AM)
We don't need the government or some propagandist telling us what not to eat. I'm sure I don't have the healthiest diet in the world, but a little, no, the tiniest bit of common sense will tell you that you have to be a complete idiot to eat three big macs a day and not expect problems.

If you want to smoke, smoke. It may kill you, but if you enjoy it, hell, if it's legal it must not be that bad, right?

If you want a big mac, eat a big mac.

I don't care what people do to themselves, as long as it's legal, neither should anyone else. When it gets to the point when they start suing over their own stupidity or the government starts limiting my choice because of someone else's irresponsibility, i get pissed. The purpose of this movie is to open up the same types of lawsuits that we saw in the 90's involving cigarette companies on fast food companies. It’s ridiculous.

{bryan steps off soap box}

No-one said anything about the government restricting anything!!! We were just talking about a movie!

The "propogandist" has as much right to make a movie about it as you do to say what you just said.
Scott S
Interesting thread....
I worked really hard to try and hit 250 in college to be competeive on the football field. I was pretty proud of myself - 245 and retained a 34-36" waist. I broke both heels my senior year and was relegated to sitting alot. Walked with a cane up until that Christmas. Graduated in the spring and took my first "real' job - had to wear socks and sit behind a desk.

I am now 36, 6'2", 260-275 with a 42" waist. I barely recognise myself in the mirror - and that sucks.

I still ski nearly 50 times a year, I am a very active drummer and move a ton of gear at least twice a week. I even did ragbrai this year (biked across Iowa - it took 7 days). I eat nothing but fruit for breakfast, and I am pretty damn good about moderation - other than Mexican food - LOVE it. I don't even drink very much - a couple of beers a month.

For me, even without fast food It's been a tough fight - as well as frunstrating. Part of me thinks it is better to not be an athlete, then to be one your whole life and have to quit over night. I would kill to be 210.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(bryanthompson @ Oct 12 2004, 10:16 AM)

Come on just because something is legal doesn't always make it OK. It is a crime what the cigarette companies have done. Boosting nicotine levels to keep people addicted, marketing to kids so that they have future addicts. If the cigarette lobby wasn't so powerfull they would have been made illegal long ago.
GaroldShaffer
For me, even without fast food It's been a tough fight - as well as frunstrating. Part of me thinks it is better to not be an athlete, then to be one your whole life and have to quit over night.

agree.gif For me some of it is genetics (sp?). back in my High school years I was 5'7" 135 lbs until my senior year when I hit 185lbs and still had a 32 waist. I was never athlete, but a band nerd that spent ALOT time (as in 8+ hours a day) during the summer in marching bands and such. I'm 38, soon to be 39, married with a son and I am now up to a 36ish waist and 215 give or take a pound. But looking back at my father and his brothers (all 9 of them) I am built just like they were. Yes some of it is diet but also genetics.

Everyone says my son looks just like me (poor kid) and I can see now that he has the "Shaffer men" build to him. I hope he gets some of my wifes side when it comes to height. He will be 3 in Dec and is already 40lbs, as tall as most 5yr boys and wears a size 9 1/2 toddler shoe. wacko.gif
Root_Werks
Genetics doesn't have anything to do with it. My Dad, Mom and older brother are all overwieght as were thier parents. My younger brother and I do not subscribe to this, so we watch what we eat and stay active.

I think what most people miss the point on is when someone says "Be active" they don't mean work out at the gym once a week. That isn't going to do much. Being active means working every day, e-v-e-r-y day. Every night I will work on something when I get home. I will work up a sweat and work until my body hurts at least 6 days of the week probably 15 times a week.

Genetics or big boned is an excuse. Get up out of that chair man! biggrin.gif
eeyore
Now that I'm done with my McSausage and OJ...

QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Oct 12 2004, 11:27 AM)
Come on just because something is legal doesn't always make it OK.

Exactly! People need to realize that they have their own responsibility to find out what is good for them and their children and exercise caution.

Whenever I see media coverage of these kinds of movies / documentaries I get the feeling that there IS some 'propagandist' trying to get the government to tell us or some company what to do. The there is an undercurrent that stirs up the sentiment that "Somebody needs to do something about this" (because legal = safe, therefore make unsafe things illegal). There is an air of victimization about the patrons of such establishments that they are being hoodwinked into buying terrible food for their kids. Whatever happened to 'caveat emptor'? One bite into a McNugget should tell you that whatever it is isn't naturally occurring and shouldn't be consumed more that once a week.

I'm just bitter because the Center for Science in the Public Interest helped force movie theaters to get rid of coconut oil from their popcorn. Gee whiz! It isn't like movie theater popcorn is a major staple of the daily American diet.
J P Stein
We're mammals.
Genetics has everything to do with it.
All of us are geneticly predisposed to pork out when food is available to keep us from starving when it isn't. It's only been the last 100 years or so (in this country) where food is available all the time.....an eyeblink in our evolution.

Couple that with inactivity.....we ain't chasing down critters all day so's we can pork out...we get fat.

Parents allow their kids to become porkchops like them unfortunates pictured, then look for someone else to blame.
GaroldShaffer
Genetics doesn't have anything to do with it
Genetics or big boned is an excuse
bs.gif biggrin.gif

I disagree, but to each their own. When I look at my cousins, mainly the men, you can very well see the ones who's genetics took after their father.

I think what most people miss the point on is when someone says "Be active" they don't mean work out at the gym once a week

That means different things to different people. I myself see no point in running 5 miles anywhere, and yes I ran cross country in school, very boring, to me anyway. I would rather stay active by doing other things. For me that is Karate twice a week plus other yard work and keeping up with our 3yr old son.
Part Pricer
OK. I’m going to come right out and say it. “Fat people piss me off!”

C’mon, show a little self-restraint. They’re only fat because they don’t close their mouths.

As a matter of fact, I’m offended by fat people. They have chosen their lifestyles and you and I end up paying for it. Overweight and, even worse, morbidly obese individuals are more prone to sickness. And, because of that, my insurance and medical payments are higher because these lard-asses put an unnecessary burden on the system.

I haven’t seen this movie, but I look forward to when I can. However, I did see “Team America: World Police” the other night. There weren’t any fat marionettes in that movie. biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Oct 12 2004, 12:19 PM)
OK. I’m going to come right out and say it. “Fat people piss me off!”

C’mon, show a little self-restraint. They’re only fat because they don’t close their mouths.

As a matter of fact, I’m offended by fat people. They have chosen their lifestyles and you and I end up paying for it. Overweight and, even worse, morbidly obese individuals are more prone to sickness. And, because of that, my insurance and medical payments are higher because these lard-asses put an unnecessary burden on the system.

I haven’t seen this movie, but I look forward to when I can. However, I did see “Team America: World Police” the other night. There weren’t any fat marionettes in that movie. biggrin.gif

agree.gif I haven't been to the doctor in over 16 years. Yeah, yeah, I do go to the dentist twice a year for which my insurance picks up the $120 cleaning bill, but that is it. My mother (Love her dearly) has been into the hospital 4 times in the last 2 years. Geeeeze mom! Get outside a little and stop driving up medical premiums...... Pleeeease! People who don't care for themselves are just killing the medical industry which already sucks! sad.gif

This is a topic for which I have strong, strong opinions on. So if you don't wan't to debate, I wouldn't post here. I will defend my anti-fat attitude to my death. :finger2:
BMartin914
I would tend to agree with Root and Paul.

These discussions always remind me of a TV special I saw about that Subway guy Jared. That guy would eat like 2 egg mcfuffins, a WHOLE pizza, 2 burritos for a snack, and a couple big macs before bed. As soon as he starts to pay attention to what he is eating, he turns into a regular size person.

This example just shows how "fatness" is not (always) glangular or big bonedness, just a side effect of having little to no restraint or common sense.
Jenny
I can't believe our friendly admin McMark hasn't deleted this thread yet. You guys have no consideration for his feelings at all.... burger.gif biggrin.gif

Jen
Meredith
There are other reasons for obesity besides lack of restraint, genetics being one. Yes, genetics does play a part, no matter how big or small it is. For those of you who exercise every day, congratulations. For those of you who don't, that's your choice. But I'm not going to sit here and rip on people just because their bodies and eating habits are different than mine. I think it's ignorant to lump people into a category based on one factor, i.e. obesity. To say that all overweight people have no restraint is an assumption that doesn't necessarily apply.

Now, I do get irritated when people who don't exercise or eat healthy foods complain about gaining weight, then do nothing to change their habits. That does bother me. But never to the point that I will say "fat people piss me off" or any other similar comments. To me, that's a matter of respect, and I will not make a generalized statement to degrade a group of people. That's Alfred's job.

Not trying to start a debate or anything, just stating my opinion.

Mer
Mueller
not to flame or pick on big people:

I have always wondered what strain over-weight people put on natural resources, it takes twice (or more) the clothing to cover them, more fuel costs to transport, puts more of a strain on the food chain, etc, etc.....has anyone seen any studies or reports on this subject??

I do know that I'd weigh much more than I do if I made or had more money.....I "love" to eat, just plain and simple........good food is a pleasure.......back when I was at a start-up company we spent money like it was water, we ate out every single day for lunch...never fast food, always a nice sit down place...we even have a few beers during lunch....when we worked 'till 2am, we order pizza and split a pie among just a few of us...boy, did I gain some pounds back then...when the money dried up, I lost weight and I am once again "normal" I guess......

When I go to a resturant now, I normally look for the cheapest or most cost effective meal....I'd love to be able to get dessert, but I have a hard time paying $4 for a slice of cake or pie.....now if I had money just flowing out of my pockets, that same piece of cake would be in front of me every time I went out....
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Meredith @ Oct 12 2004, 12:49 PM)
There are other reasons for obesity besides lack of restraint, genetics being one. Yes, genetics does play a part, no matter how big or small it is. For those of you who exercise every day, congratulations. For those of you who don't, that's your choice. But I'm not going to sit here and rip on people just because their bodies and eating habits are different than mine. I think it's ignorant to lump people into a category based on one factor, i.e. obesity. To say that all overweight people have no restraint is an assumption that doesn't necessarily apply.

Now, I do get irritated when people who don't exercise or eat healthy foods complain about gaining weight, then do nothing to change their habits. That does bother me. But never to the point that I will say "fat people piss me off" or any other similar comments. To me, that's a matter of respect, and I will not make a generalized statement to degrade a group of people. That's Alfred's job.

Mer

Mer makes a good point and I don't mean to upset anyone on the list for sure. I guess I should state that I work in "Office Space" and on my floor, I am the only person who is NOT overwieght. I AM the minority. That does upset me because I see the trends. Me - haven't used a sick day in years, I mean years and the people who sit around me calling in sick all the time. Watching my med prem's go up 25% each year for the last 4 years is also upsetting. I just wish America would wake up and take better care of itself. It is costing people money, lots of it. I am someone who helps drive the cost of medical care down. I pay into insurance that I have never used and probably won't use for another 25 years.

I do tend to "lump" overwieght people into a category. I am guilty of that for certain. But I certainly don't mean to slam anyone on this list. So I will make this my last post to it. Cheers, go drink a low carb beer will ya. beerchug.gif
Part Pricer
QUOTE(Meredith @ Oct 12 2004, 03:49 PM)

Mer

Mer,

You make some great points. And, I knew when I made my original post that I would ruffle some feathers because of my broad-brush statement. However, I believe that most of the overweight prople that you encounter on any given day need not be that way. They are the result of their chosen behavior.

The Surgeon General does say that genetics does contribute to some obesity. However, it is not the determinate cause on most cases. I hate to quote, but I'm going to do so anyway:

"Overweight and obesity result from an imbalance involving excessive calorie consumption and/or inadequate physical activity. Behavioral and environmental factors are large contributors to overweight and obesity and provide the greatest opportunity for actions and interventions designed for prevention and treatment." U.S. Surgeon General

You can't cure genes, but you can modify behavior.
double-a
i caught part of an interesting program about diet on the public channel this last weekend. among the amazing studies they cited, the most interesting thing to me was the bit about the o'odham tribe in arizona. apparently, they have a specialzed gene that allows them to "bulk up" quickly during times of rain and plenty, and gives them some mass to survive the times of drought. a bit like the desert plants actually.

what's tragic about the o'odham though is their rate of obesity and diabetes: 50% among their people, something like double the national average. why? because it's 'times of plenty' all the time for them now. luckily, some of their number are trying to get back to eating what their ancestors ate: beans, nuts and fruits from the desert. they profiled some of their desert foods and discovered some interesting characteristics in the food. some of their foods have complex sugars that are slow to break down, so they fill the eater up quickly, which prevents overeating.

our bodies were created to adjust to our environment. but for probably all of us here, we live in times of plenty all the time, and activity and smart eating habits are crucial to keeping us where we need to be physically. i quit soda 10 years ago during cross country, don't miss it. i can't eat fast food anymore, even the smell makes my stomach turn. after seeing that show, i'm all about fresh foods now, the studies they cited were simply amazing.

weight can be lost quickly, though: my wife just went from 185 to 135 in six months using a program called medifast. we're both trying to adjust our diets a bit, to be more healthy, though at 5' 11" and 140lbs, i could probably stand to gain a bit. wacko.gif

~a
GaroldShaffer
My last post on this, honest. biggrin.gif

First Mer, agree.gif

I agree that you must have balance of diet & excerise to stay health. I don't think being as thin as a rail means your healthy. My best friend, in very fit shape, owns the karate school I go to. Runs, eats right, blah blah blah... yet he is on high blood pressure meds and has cholesterol
"issues". My 80 yr old, smoking, 400lb plus neighbor has never been in the hospital for anything, other than being
"fat" that is his only issue. Goes every year for his checkup and passes with flying colors.

so what does this prove???? nothing. everyone is different. Yes, to much junk food and no excerise will make you fat (my neighbor).

And one last thing, you really should see the doctor at least once a year just for a check up.

Cheese puffs and beer for everyone....... beerchug.gif biggrin.gif
MattR
OK. I?m going to come right out and say it. ?Fat people piss me off!?

C?mon, show a little self-restraint. They?re only fat because they don?t close their mouths.

Thats absolute bullshit. I dont know how you sleep at night. Fat people are people too even if you're too stupid to realize that. God you piss me off. Lots of people in this world struggle every day with being fat because of assholes like you. Go to hell! ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

Im going to add on:
When you see a fat person you look at them and you think "they dont close their mouths... have some self control" like they're fat and stupid and dont care. Why is it different to look at a _____ (insert race/religion, etc) person and make fun of them for being who they are? I cant even type, Im steaming right now...

BTW: you're probably sitting behind your keyboard thinking you're talking to someone who is fat themselves, but I'd like to say for the record im 6'4" and ~200 lbs, but I dont weigh myself because it DOESNT MATTER!!! If you're happy with how you look, whether you are 100 lbs or 1000 lbs, its up to YOU, and jerk offs that make fun of fat people are the reason 14 yr old girls throw up their food and threaten their lives.
eeyore
QUOTE(Meredith @ Oct 12 2004, 01:49 PM)
I will not make a generalized statement to degrade a group of people.  That's Alfred's job.

lol3.gif

I do have to wonder about the lack of restraint by family members when situations like this arise...

Couch-bound woman's death raises questions
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/con...cbody_0818.html

vortrex
I moved to philly (unhealthy) from san francisco (healthy) recently. the first thing I noticed here was A LOT of dunkin donuts. so one day I put in my address to the dunkin donuts store locator and found there were 45 within a 5 mile radius of my house!! now is that crazy or what??
Part Pricer
When you see a fat person you look at them and you think "they dont close their mouths... have some self control" like they're fat and stupid and dont care.

No. I actually look at them and say to myself, "Because that person cannot exercise some self control, I'm paying for it with overall higher healthcare costs." When people cost me money, that pisses me off.
MattR
So do you look at people like my brother who were born with $1 million dollar heart conditions and say "they would be better off dead because they cost too much"?

He was given a low chance of survival at birth and is now a perfectly healthy 14 year old. Oh no, Im so sorry human life costs money. We should all just die so your health insurance premiums will go down...
Mueller
So do you look at people like my brother who were born with $1 million dollar heart conditions and say "they would be better off dead because they cost too much"?

He was given a low chance of survival at birth and is now a perfectly healthy 14 year old. Oh no, Im so sorry human life costs money. We should all just die so your health insurance premiums will go down...

that is totally different.......I'd have to say the majority of over-weight people are so on thier own free will....I was a 7-11 not too long ago, this women (who was over-weight) was pissed off cause they "only" had the 44oz soda cup and nothing bigger, come on, why the hell does she need the 60oz size.....she does not "need" it, she wants it (to go with the potato chips in her other hand)
MattR
I was responding to paul heery's comment on people costing money.

But in response to your statement mike, its nice you think some people should have restraints, but if someone is happy with themselves even with all society's pressure, why should you tell them they should be somebody different?

Get a grip people, its JUST fat. I'd rather have a world full of nice fat people then skinny ass holes.
vortrex
I swear all the fatties in the US should live in japan for a year. not going to be swigging on their 2 liters of mountain dew or eating meals which are 2-3x the size they should be. I am 143lbs and I was feeling slighted on my meal size there!
F4i
I don't normally jump into these but I have some thoughts.

1. Cholesterol is genetic (mostly) Me and my brother both have high cholesterol. His is higher and he is in
better shape. We are both in good shape and not overweight.
2. A disposition to weight gain IMHO is genetic HOWEVER I do not believe there are any cases where
it cannot be managed through diet and exercise
3. If this genetic disposition were the real culprit then the world would be overweight not just N.A. I think
Canada is doing slightly better but it's getting us as well.
4. USA and Canada have a variety of peoples that make up their population so it is not a race issue.
5. It is a relatively new problem so it has to be culture i.e. diet and exercise.
6. I do have a problem with smokers overweight and people who do not make an effort to help
themselves. There is nothing wrong with that. I do not hold contempt for them and would help anyone
with their problems. But what has been stated is true: people who do not care for themselves are a
burden to those that do. A heart defect is not a choice.

Thanks for the rant I will go back to not normally jumping in.
Aaron Cox
in the old days, it was a sign of wealth being fat. it showed you had enough money to eat and eat and eat.

i agree with mattR tho.

just like racism etc,
Aaron Cox
oh yeah, i have HIGH blood pressure too. im not fat. im a large build guy. HUGE heart. I've played sports all my life. 4 years captain of the varsity swim and polo teams. broke my knee racing BMX so i cannot run nearly as often as i used to. ive always been a big guy. im 6'3 215lbs. but i bet i could swim a mile faster than most of you, hell could prolly run a mile halfway decent with my broken knee too.

what im saying is. herdity plays a role too.

im only 18, and will be on blood pressure medicine for the rest of my life because of genes.

i also surf, skateboard to class everyday, and am a lifegaurd during the summer. go figure im still not Skinny unsure.gif
vortrex
well 6'3" and 215 is not big. I think we are talking about fat people here.
Cap'n Krusty
I'm getting here a bit late. Hadda stop for a donut ......... Not really. I was a lot heavier a couple of years ago, and still feel a bit over weight. I joined weight watchers and was absolutely amazed to find that the "points" for one Egg Mc Muffin are the same as 3.7 12 oz beers, and they sell 'em 2 for 2 bucks!. Whaddya gonna do, leave the free one on the counter? Maybe NOT ......... 22 points for breakfast, and I only got 29 for the whole day! Cereal at home for breakfast, a salad or sandwich for lunch, and cutting back on the number of glasses of "adult beverage" in the evening made the weight fly off. Although I'm on my feet all day, I really don't get the exercise I should, but I feel a LOT better than I did at 5-10/240. My doctor is happy about it, too. He stropped yelling at me. Maybe be under 190 in a few more months. Or maybe not.............................. The Cap'n, getting some self control, and shrinking before your very eyes!
SirAndy
QUOTE(MattR @ Oct 12 2004, 03:41 PM)
my brother who were born with $1 million dollar heart conditions

but that was not his choice, now was it?

food is just like any other drug, use it in moderation and you'll do just fine.
abuse it and it'll kill you ...

cool.gif Andy
TimT
Wow we have us a "discussion"

i agree with mattR tho.

I tend to side with what Matt says also
Rusty
QUOTE(MattR @ Oct 12 2004, 04:40 PM)
OK. I?m going to come right out and say it. ?Fat people piss me off!?

C?mon, show a little self-restraint. They?re only fat because they don?t close their mouths.

Thats absolute bullshit. I dont know how you sleep at night. Fat people are people too even if you're too stupid to realize that. God you piss me off. Lots of people in this world struggle every day with being fat because of assholes like you. Go to hell! ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

I swore I wasn't going to go off on another rant until after Christmas. My last one in the political thread was enough, I promised. Guess not. <_<

I've seen some pretty amazing, positive, supportive stuff from the 914 Club. This sure ain't it.

This thread makes me ASHAMED to be part of this group. I don't deny your right to say hateful and hurtful things about people - but I sure as hell don't have to like it.

I can't even read the rest. This is so weak.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.