Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do I buy these diet pills for my car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
moggy
QUOTE(Gunther @ Jun 15 2012, 06:07 PM) *

I noticed that no one mentioned that little parachute in the back.
You dont go fast enough to effectively use a rear spoiler. sawzall-smiley.gif
Cut every little tang and bracket you dont need. replace all steel that you can with aluminium,CF or fiberglass. My 2cents. Good luck smilie_pokal.gif

So how fast do I need to go to 'effectively' use a spoiler?

I've had a few days break from the garage but back in there tomorrow to set on the dash area. Will give an update on the weight that's dropped off and maybe a picture of the metal that's been removed.

Cheers

Moggy
SirAndy
QUOTE(moggy @ Jun 16 2012, 12:30 PM) *
So how fast do I need to go to 'effectively' use a spoiler?

For the rear of a 914 to get light at speed you have to go above at least 110 mph or even more, depending on your setup.
shades.gif
Gunther
agree.gif

The guys At KMW Motorsports did a telemetry test on the back straights of Sebring, an average of 3 to 5mph slower with the spoiler on. @ about 140mph.
moggy
I get over 90 quite often, 110 less often. Although flat out in fifth on tarmac rallies happens now and again biggrin.gif Anyhow... I like the look of the kick spoiler, it kinda balances the car, so it stays smile.gif

I've got up to 11.5kgs that I've dropped off the car.

The front skid plate weighs 9.5kgs and the rear is 22.2kgs, my plan is to re-design these for tarmac rallies at half the weight, giving me a further 15.9kgs saving.

I'm going to go with f/g bumpers front and rear for tarmac events so again a further 12kgs savings over the metal ones.

So all in all that should total up to 39 kgs weight saving (60lbs).

Thanks all for your help beerchug.gif
Woody
QUOTE(moggy @ Jun 17 2012, 04:08 PM) *

I get over 90 quite often, 110 less often. Although flat out in fifth on tarmac rallies happens now and again biggrin.gif Anyhow... I like the look of the kick spoiler, it kinda balances the car, so it stays smile.gif

I've got up to 11.5kgs that I've dropped off the car.

The front skid plate weighs 9.5kgs and the rear is 22.2kgs, my plan is to re-design these for tarmac rallies at half the weight, giving me a further 15.9kgs saving.

I'm going to go with f/g bumpers front and rear for tarmac events so again a further 12kgs savings over the metal ones.

So all in all that should total up to 39 kgs weight saving (60lbs).

Thanks all for your help beerchug.gif

39 kgs is equal to about 85 pounds. I've been enjoying this thread. Time to get serious with my car.
Chris Pincetich
WHAT???
Your rear skid plate is 50 lbs!!!!???!?!!
Dude.... beerchug.gif
Is it integrated into the engine mount bar?
I'm sure that reducing the strength of the rear skid plate is a touchy subject since it is protecting a $6k-$10k USA$(??) TIV motor and likely custom 901 transaxle too.
Show us some pics of that rear anchor, I mean skid plate.
I'm day-dreaming of a protective "cradle" like Brit and other use for mounting Subaru engines in 914s that serves a structural/mounting role but is also rally-bomb-proof.
Great work so far beerchug.gif

J P Stein
I'm pretty much out of the game. I stop by occasionally to see what's happening.
I'll miss you guys but not that trolling POS Grant. He's never gotten over me & Brit towing down to the bay area and blowing away him & all his bay area buddies.....on their venue. To him I say finger.gif
ThePaintedMan
Sorry, I might have missed this.. but what kind of starter do you have on the car? Those things are mighty heavy. Surely there is a lighter, newer option out there. The original ones must be near 20-25lbs.
mepstein
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 20 2012, 11:12 AM) *

Sorry, I might have missed this.. but what kind of starter do you have on the car? Those things are mighty heavy. Surely there is a lighter, newer option out there. The original ones must be near 20-25lbs.

I'm thinking more like 8-10. The whole trans is only 75. There are many articles on 914/6 that Porsche set up for rally's. Go thru them and see what else you can do. Also consider a six if your class allows it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.