Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WAS tops - another GB $will be opening up DEC 17
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
smj
Bump! Hoping I haven't been forgotten. Money sitting in the account reserved for this is tempting ... wink.gif

The pictures look great, Mark, and the alternate colors look wild. If I had a car done in Prussian Blue, or whatever the right pastel-ish 964 color is, a blue top would be on my list.
Mikey914
these are moving forward. I have had to reject a few that I had James put together are when they were in the sunlight they were not coated completey on the underside of the acrylic I'm actually forming up another 4 today. I will have him bonding them for me to help speed up the process, it's just taking a little learning curve on his part.

It also doesn't help that I screwed up one. Caught the edge with the buffer and threw it off the stand. Landing on the corner splitting it ...OUCH.

But if it were easy I guess everyone would make these!
Harpo
Good morning

Could you please give us an update on the WAS tops? By the way what does WAS stand for?

Thanks

David
Mikey914
I've got 2 that are at home, one is about ready to ship, the other will be ready this next week. I anticipate that I will have 2 more to finish towards the end of the week. I rejected several that James did as they were not bonded correctly or didn't have all the substructure blacked out (in sunlight you could see the fiberglass underneath). It looks like he finally has the process down (I had to farm these out as I don't have enough time to do it all mysely). However I will spend 4-6 hours sanding and buffing to get a good finish on these. We were able to make a few improvements on these in the process, nothing earth shattering, but we may also be adding the option for a chrome strip on the sides.

WAS stands for Whitesell Architectural Supply, couldn't think of another name that fit better. I haven't been asking for the balance on the deposits on these until I know they are pending shipment, but I will be talimg to a few of you this next week.
-mark
Mikey914
By the way I may be giving one of these away for registered 2013 WCR attendees. I'm working out the details.
Rod
How's this coming along Mark? I would like to he back in the European loop!!
Mikey914
I turned the assembly over to James with the idea that it would streamline the operation, we made a few changes to the assemble that inproved the product somewant, but I should have another 2 ready this next week.
-mark
Mikey914
just needed to follow up. I have 2 roofs that I'm trying to get finished up this week to ship. Unfortunately, bringing james in on the mix has had a bit of a learning curve. I'm having to spend a bunch of time reworking edges and some are destined to be seconds. I'm working with him to get a production of 2 per week. This my current "inventory". I'll be working more agressively to get this wrapped up. The good news is I will be giving away a factory second at WCR to one luckly attendee!
914outlaw
I'm in for the seconds if they are discounted. biggrin.gif
billh1963
Waiting on mine...ship any time you are ready!
Mikey914
The problem that I had with these is that the fiberglass was not flush up against the acrylic on the inside on a few, I had needed to bond them and clean up which is really a pain. I have one that the glue was not coated completely on the inside so you can see the fiberglass throught the acrylic in spots, ine got an edge chipped off and I'm welding it back in and will sand and buff ( it may be just fine, just more work), I did have one that the acrylic was cut too short and I'm playing with the edges to make it work. I may have to add the aluminum to hide the edge, not the way I intended to make this work. and I have a red, blue, and bronze that I would not have put in the mix if I knew the production was having these issues.
But, if it were easy, everyone would do it thenselves.
biggrin.gif
montoya 73 2.0
thumb3d.gif Mark!
billh1963
Any updates?
Krieger
popcorn[1].gif
Krieger
popcorn[1].gif
billh1963
So...what's the status? We haven't heard anything in a while. confused24.gif

Paid my deposit last summer....sure would be nice to have a top one of these days..... smile.gif
Chris H.
I want one too...didn't jump in last year but I am interested.
billh1963
popcorn[1].gif
David Stowers
Hi there
I've just found this thread and notice there's another guy in the UK waiting for one of these. What's the current situation on availability/ UK shipping?
Thanks
David
Mikey914
I've got a few of these that are going out, I also now have a jig set up in house to bond these. I had farmed this out to James and as QC was not where I wanted it took it back. I have the Jig set up and can bond these, but I'm trying to do too many things at once with this back on my plate. I actually have one I should get out this week, but it will be slow going.
-Mark
Mikey914
Lastly, if anyone would like a refund I will do so. But if you are willing to stick with me on this you will get them.
-Mark
rnellums
I may be changing address before mine ships out, so PM me before mine ships! I'm really looking forward to it!
Mikey914
Will do so. Right now I'm waiting for Fedex to show so I can leave and I'm polishing one of the potential roofs.
-mark
Mikey914
I got one packed and shipping, checking the list in the morning to see who's next biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
billh1963
So....any updates?
smj
Hanging in there, but an update would be appreciated if possible.
Krieger
We are now 18 months into this...
palmer_md
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 5 2014, 03:45 PM) *

We are now 18 months into this...

Is it complete? Is there a second run? I just started getting my car back together, and this would be awesome. Is there a noticeable heat gain when driving around in full sun? It gets HOT here in Sacramento.
Mikey914
I had a run of duds with James. This is timely as I am meeting with him tomorrow to get the fiberglass sections on these going. I will keep you posted, but it looks like these are going to be coming together in a few weeks, but I literally have 7 that are not useable.
-MNark
rnellums
icon_bump.gif
Cfletch
So did i miss out on these?
Porky
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Nov 4 2014, 06:30 PM) *

So did i miss out on these?

ditto
Mikey914
This is a project that had been put onto the back burner until I had the ability to get the consistency required for mass production. We are just about there. I anticipated doing these this up coming January as I will have the time to put into these. They are not dead, and those that signed up at this price will be able to purchase at this price, but we will be bumping the price up about $150 per unit as there is a more refined process we will be using that will allow for a much higher quality product. It requires some new equipment to be moved into some space (that I haven't found yet), and some serious power requirements. This limits the space I can use, and how I set it up. I am putting the pieces together to make this work.

-Mark
db9146
Has anyone used the stock roof hardware with one of these tops? Got a picture you can post?
Mikey914
Yes these are alive. We completed the tooling we needed to pull these in mass.
Ill be finishing one up this next week.i have several pulled, but with the holidays didn't get to assembly
Mikey914
Yes these are back in the cue. With the fog light grills and a few other large projects to get on track I had to sideline these for awhile. I will honor the GB price, the reg price will be $799 without hardware and $919 with.

With this being said I do have some seconds That I can sell roof only for $299. I just want them gone. They are taking up a bunch of space and are usable, but have flaws. I'll post more tomorrow.

Steve
I'm interested in the flaws and or group Buy if still available
sb914
I'm in either way as well
rnellums
Will those of us who paid a few years ago still be in at the old price?
-Ross
Mikey914
Yes Ross I have a few special cases.
rnellums
Nice! Looking forward to it! Just got in a set of your fog light grills, looking forward to getting those onto my car!

-Ross
v82go

Hi

I would also be interested in a flawed one (my car has plenty of flaws and a few

more wouldn't bother me). THANKS
Mikey914
Pulled these down off the shelf and have some buffing I will be doing tomorrow to clean them up a little.
hcdmueller
I'm interested in one of the flawed ones too.
Mikey914
Thanks for your patience. I had the choice of buffing these all day or finishing up the alternator wiring harnesses, and getting a good chunk of the AP consul and boxes done.
I will have time tomorrow
PotterPorsche
I'm interested in a top. Maybe without latches as I have 2 spare stock tops.
Mikey914
Got some of the roofs up on the classifieds and will be following up with all tomorrow.
Mark
Mikey914
Got some progress on testing the mold. The guys were able to pull a part in clear. We tried some "cell cast" material that we found out was Chinese. It didn't form the same as the known material we had. Apparently, it's "somehow" different. When we do production we may have to do a special order to a US manufacturer to get these right

We also have to make some changes to the fiberglass to make it a more usable piece.

These we plan to have production going in March. I'd love to say earlier, but anything is possible. We have some stock of the old fiberglass but have a meeting with a potential vendor for helping us improve these and maybe do a few other fiberglass parts.
ahycaramba
I'm interested in one with out latches and late style if that makes a difference.
Thanks Al
johnnyp
ill take one with all hardware please!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.