Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WAS tops - another GB $will be opening up DEC 17
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
relentless
Still waiting to see what the $$$ differential is to get a bronze top!!!

These look very cool on any car with a non-black interior, but especially those with tan/brown interiors.
Steve
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 8 2012, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 8 2012, 05:44 PM) *

Is it possible to use the stock latches? I am looking for a stock look on the inside.

Yes, I made my spacing and the entire substructure to allow for the stock latches. I'll have to double check, but I believe we molded off the late style roof. There is a difference on the latches.

Just not having an endless supply of latches I couldn't offer it that way.

And the icing on the cake -

If you use your own latches you can save $75

As far as the top goes, is there any difference between the first gen and the second gen or is it just the latches? Curious if there are any improvements over the first batch you made.
Mikey914
I don't make the 1st gens anymore. Like making a V2 rocket with all the little pieces. That and the clearance was an issue. The 2nd gen work fine, just nothing like stock.
Mikey914
QUOTE(relentless @ Jun 28 2012, 05:52 PM) *

Still waiting to see what the $$$ differential is to get a bronze top!!!

These look very cool on any car with a non-black interior, but especially those with tan/brown interiors.

Still working on the Bronze, but I do have a little surprise I'll be doing 1st.
These should start rolling out in tghe next 2 weeks as soon as I have the fiberglass I'll open the flood gates.

-Mark
smj
Will we need to order through the site at that time, or...?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Roy @ Jun 18 2012, 09:17 PM) *

Wow, so tempting. Can this be reasonably shipped to Canada? If yes I am extremely interested.

You're in Vancouver. He's in Hillsboro. Take your top off, drive to the Ferry, go to Mark's house and go back with a top! The adventure will be worth the cost. biggrin.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(smj @ Jun 29 2012, 05:52 PM) *

Will we need to order through the site at that time, or...?

I'll be contacting everyone on the thread via PM as soon as I have these all ready to go.
-Mark
connery
hi mark

per our conversation, i would like a top with all the hardware

mike
917-603-1902
Rod
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 14 2012, 01:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Rod @ Jun 13 2012, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 7 2012, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Rod @ Jun 7 2012, 06:05 AM) *

Interested, but in the uk...

I do have a commercial customer that had expressed interest in bringing a few over, so maybe we can bundle these together?

Airfreight is about $450, and 3-4 roofs would fit well into one shipment.

Maybe something could be worked out?

Any more news from this 'Commercial customer?'

hasn't committed yet, but looks promising. I have been able to get the crating cost for packing down to $45 for the eccorrates, and have them made so they will be under the 3x overcharge where they really hit you. So the cost is coming down.

-Mark

Well I'm still very interested, so please let me know the final pricing!!
Mikey914
Fiberglass portion is supposed to be ready this week as soon as I have them I'll ask for a $150 deposit as I will have the acrylic ready next week also. Just a matter of putting all the pieces together.
falconfp2001
Let me know if I can still get in on this?

Thanks
ddanque
Interested in your top with no hardware.

Thanks

Denny
Mikey914
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Jul 11 2012, 12:47 PM) *

Let me know if I can still get in on this?

Thanks

I'm supposed to have the fist of the fiberglass Saturday as I will be taking $150 deposits starting tomorrow and contacting everyone via PM with the info. 1st parts would be 2 weeks out. will be able to process 2-3 per week from there.

-Mark
Krieger
Hey Mark, this is what I have going on. No chrome to speak of.
Krieger
I've got some overhang! But with that smoked look It might be okay... This is the top that I had handy..for my silver car.
Krieger
When I put my roof on I do not have the big seal that is on the underside. I could just cut this straight across the back?
Mikey914
I see what you have going on. The roof is the same shape as roof you have. I think I may be able to modify, or make a custom rear seal that would be able to close the gap.
Krieger
So Mark are you saying to not cut your top at all and fill the gap between my targa bar and your roof with a custom seal? If you could please post a picture of the aft end of your top. biggrin.gif
Mikey914
I'll post a picture tomorrow, but Yes, I would HIGHLY DISCOURAGE cutting the back end off
rnellums
If possible, I would like to get in on this too still. No hardware please.
Steve
I need to back out of the group buy. I really want one, but I just wrecked my Acura Daily driver and I need $500.00 for the deductible.
Mikey914
No problem to both.

Emails will be going out this week. I'm not taking any money until I have some fiberglass in hand to work on these.
Krieger
Mark, please post a picture of the bottom/back side of your top. I don't think I will be cutting, but I just want to get a visual before I jump in. Thanks
Mikey914
PMs sent out for the roofs. I'll be posting a rear picture later, been a bit busy. The 1st 2 fiberglass blanks will be in my hands tomorrow, will ship late next week.

Yeah!
2-3 per week for production.
Krieger
biggrin.gif
popcorn[1].gif
Mikey914
Update - 6 fiberglass substructures done. I'll be formoing the acrylic this week. I have the hardware being machined now and will be late next week on that.
So far these are the deposits reciecved. I will be contacting the fist group end of the week, and will be processing 3 per week as soon as I start forming these. Iunderstand that there are a few that still want in and are sending deposits. I'll update as I recieve.

JRust
2- Undisclosed
Connery
Nellums
Truong
Lanphere
Kyle
3-Undisclosed
Jones
Nagorski
Danque
Partida
Calkins (P)
As of 8/12/12
Brian in STS added

9/10/12
I will be depositing the deposits tomorrow.

Group buy will stay open until the run is complete, I anticipate 3-4 roofs per week starting next week.
Thanks to all,
Mark
Harpo
Can you please post some photos?

David
Mikey914
QUOTE(Harpo @ Aug 12 2012, 05:00 PM) *

Can you please post some photos?

David

I'll post the photos as they get shipped out. Is that what you wanted?
-Mark
Harpo
Good morning Mark,

I was actually looking for more photos showing your progress of the tops or maybee what the finished product looks like.

Thanks

DAvid
kerensky
Just for my peace of mind, there *will* be future runs of these, yes? Cause, ya know, do want and all, just no $$$.
Mikey914
QUOTE(kerensky @ Aug 19 2012, 09:23 PM) *

Just for my peace of mind, there *will* be future runs of these, yes? Cause, ya know, do want and all, just no $$$.

Yes there will, it's just a matter of price. I do have the GB open still, I'll keep it open until the last one is complete, so you have a few weeks biggrin.gif
If not, you know where to find me.
Krieger
Count me in! Anniversary present from wife. piratenanner.gif
Mikey914
I got the 1st 3 pieces of acrylic formed and we'll be bonding them this next week, so these will be starting to ship Tue or Wed.
Good news for Jim - I have been able to procure the right material in Bronze

I also found some Blue, green and red that I'm going to play with, I think they may look pretty cool.

The upcharge on the nonstandard colors is $85, mainly as the material is coming from the East coast, and I'm not getting any quantity of it.

I will post pictures soon.
-mark
Mikey914
Brian in STS added
9/5/12
Harpo
Good afternoon Mike,

In the attached photo, by toe of my shoe is a piece of interior targa trim. Will the WAS top include this piece?

Click to view attachment
Lingcuisine
Can you still purchase this top? If so please count me in.
Thanks Jeff
Mikey914
QUOTE(Harpo @ Sep 15 2012, 12:28 PM) *

Good afternoon Mike,

In the attached photo, by toe of my shoe is a piece of interior targa trim. Will the WAS top include this piece?

Click to view attachment

That section we have omitted as it would block some of the clear on the top. I'll be posting pictures tomorrow
Mikey914
Jim This one's for you-
Mikey914
Thinking about keeping the blue one for my car.
Mikey914
The red is interesting, I thought it would be more obnixious, but with the right car it would look cool.
Mikey914
Actualy got some green. Din't have time to form it, but you get the idea.
-Mark
patrick3000
Hi Mark,

If the GB is still open put me down for one in the standard color. This is for the 71 so if the latches do not work with an early car no latches but i will need shipping to the east coast.

Thanks,

Karl
jim_hoyland
The red and blue tops look terrific ! smile.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jul 23 2012, 08:05 PM) *

Mark, please post a picture of the bottom/back side of your top. I don't think I will be cutting, but I just want to get a visual before I jump in. Thanks

I spoke with James and he's willing to modify the fiberglass to that it will be bonded correctly and cut it back so the end is at the edge of the roll bar without the chrome. I was really nervous about having this cut down after it's bonded as there is a gap internally where the cut would be. There is also a "fillet" where the top of the roof extends back, that would be cut into. There woukd be some voids there also.

This way, we can assure it's bonded and sealed, so it would be turnkey. it would cost $120 to do this all in house.
speed metal army
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 20 2012, 04:03 PM) *

Actualy got some green. Din't have time to form it, but you get the idea.
-Mark

aktion035.gif That might look crazy on here..
Click to view attachment
JRust
I'm still excited to get my regular one. It getting close wub.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 20 2012, 10:13 PM) *

I'm still excited to get my regular one. It getting close wub.gif

So when do you want to pick it up? Call me and I'll set up a time.
-Mark
Mikey914
Click to view attachmentFor the question on modification for the shaved roll bar. We can shave it back but if we cut into the fillet where it bonds to the back, it will need to be reinforced.
JamesM
Is purple an option? My wife would freak out.
Mikey914
QUOTE(JamesM @ Sep 21 2012, 12:31 PM) *

Is purple an option? My wife would freak out.

maybe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.