Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CHT Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Is there a test that can be done on a CHT before acquiring a harness ? I picked up the gauge but didn't get a wiring harness.
type47
VDO? Since it's "powered" by a thermocouple, I don't think you want to put any more than micro Volts to the terminals.....Also, from your pic, since you have no signal to the gauge since you don't have it connected to the harness and thermocouple and since the needle is not at "zero", I'd say the gauge is "sprung"/broken due to connection to too much voltage
76-914
I just went thru that a while back. I've got extra senders w/ lead if interested. VDO & Dakota. I found the Dakota matched my VDO gage better than the VDO sender. WTF.gif Anyway, PM me if interested. kent
VaccaRabite
If the sender is not made for the gauge you may get false readings. Also, the VDO gauge is not ambient temp compensated so the engine could read differently depending on the outside temp. Maybe better then nothing but not the best solution out there.

Personally, if you want to know what your CHTs are, you should get the Dakota Digital or some other temp compensated gauge. The VDO is IMHO, not worth the effort or dash real estate.

Zach

McMark
If it says VDO on it, it's broken. happy11.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188188
Valy
All sensors are the same - K type thermocouple.
The gauge sensitivity should be 40uv/C
ape914
the VDO serves a nice purpose, it may not be compensated for outside temp, but it will serve as a warning if something goes wrong and you over heat the head. well worth the dash real estate, and effort, may not be the best, but the price is often right . yeah if I had the budget a compensated TC on all cylinders would be my choice, but the budge dictates a less pricey alternative.

note that you gauge is likely at fault, as it should not have the shown indication with no thermocouple attached.
McMark
But the price is nearly the same as the Micro1000 gauge which IS temp compensated...
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2012, 10:13 AM) *

But the price is nearly the same as the Micro1000 gauge which IS temp compensated...

The VDO is going to the junk pile; I'm looking at the Micro 1000 and Dakota Digital, big issue right now is enlarging the cigar lighter hole.

McMark
Check this thread for a tool that makes perfect holes with no fuss. They're not too expensive on eBay, and if you don't want to hang on to it, I'll buy it from you when you're done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.