Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk lift (shock) instructions HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Strudelwagon
Hi Folks,
I bought a set of rear trunk shocks for my resto from Craig @Camp914.
Somehow I've managed to lose the instructions headbang.gif
Has anyone installed a set and either has the instructions or can show me some pics and measurements.

Yes I did email Craig and he said he would send me a copy but the snail mail between the US and Canada could take weeks.

I'm hoping to get it done this weekend hissyfit.gif

Thanks
SW
Elliot Cannon
If I still had the instructions from mine, I would scan them and email them to you. Maybe you can ask Craig to do that.
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 6 2012, 08:45 PM) *

If I still had the instructions from mine, I would scan them and email them to you. Maybe you can ask Craig to do that.

Pretty sure he would have offered that when I first emailed him if he was able.
ThePaintedMan
I just installed mine and still have the instructions. Unfortunately I'm out of town and won't have access to a scanner till tomorrow, but I can send you the dimensions and measurements now (they're in the teener cause I'm a slob) smile.gif
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 7 2012, 10:16 AM) *

I just installed mine and still have the instructions. Unfortunately I'm out of town and won't have access to a scanner till tomorrow, but I can send you the dimensions and measurements now (they're in the teener cause I'm a slob) smile.gif

Tomorrow would be great Thanks
Steve
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(Strudelwagon @ Jul 7 2012, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 7 2012, 10:16 AM) *

Tomorrow would be great Thanks
Steve

Bump icon_bump.gif
SLITS
I would send you instructions, but they're not for Craig's kit.

This is a free bump anyway.
ThePaintedMan
Steve, I sent you a PM, not sure you got it. I'm on my way out of the office in ten and will send you written dimensions and some pictures when I get home (about an hour and a half). Very sorry I didn't get them to you this past weekend. Broke down nowhere near internet.
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 11 2012, 03:42 PM) *

Steve, I sent you a PM, not sure you got it. I'm on my way out of the office in ten and will send you written dimensions and some pictures when I get home (about an hour and a half). Very sorry I didn't get them to you this past weekend. Broke down nowhere near internet.

Thanks George
Sw
ThePaintedMan
Steve,
Okay, a couple things here. The instructions I had in the trunk were not for the shocks kit, I thought I had left them in there. Very, very sorry. Also, I can't confirm that we have the same kit. I couldn't remember if I bought mine from Craig (there are so many knockoffs, which sucks). The dimensions I have assume that you are mounting this to the lid itself, not the pivot arm. Craig's kits now seem to be mounting to the arm. Either way, I have included pictures and dimensions for you since you've been trying to get this done for a week now.

The brackets that attach to the fender reside just under the drain channel. The edge with the pivot ball will be flush with the inner portion of the channel. The bottom hole will be drilled at exactly 16 and 1/8 in from the edge of the fender point. MAKE SURE YOU MOVE THE WIRES BEFORE YOU DRILL! See pics:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The top ones were a little more confusing. In my kit the screws were self-tapping but still needed to be pre-drilled with a smaller bit. The top hole, closest to the top of the lid is at 8 1/4 inches and 2 3/8 inches inward of the outside edge.

Click to view attachment

The bracket should be centered between 8 and 10 inches from the top edge of the lid.

Click to view attachment

The lid does not open all the way anymore, and I can't remember if the torsion bars let it go higher previously. Just so you know and don't freak out if its different. It still opens plenty high. Also, if your kit is different, I'm sure the lower mounts are at least the same. You could then "eyeball" the lid/pivot arm mount once you get it in. Or you could wait for Craig's instructions if this isn't clear.
Strudelwagon
Thanks George, I really appreciate you taking the time to take pics and add measurements. The down side is the kits are different??? Mine has a triangular bracket that attaches to the hinge and not the trunk lid.

I'll keep trying
Steve
racerbvd
I'll check & see if I still have the directions from my kits, if I do, I'll scan & post em..
Mike Bellis
Can't you just contact Camp 914? quit fooling around...
ThePaintedMan
Yeah, I thought so. Mine was a knock-off of his old design. There are pics of that one though around, but not sure of dimensions. Good luck.
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 11 2012, 08:19 PM) *

Can't you just contact Camp 914? quit fooling around...

If you had read the original post you would know I went there first. He said he would mail me the instructions...that was more than 2 weeks ago.
Thanks anyway
Steve
SLITS
See if this link would help>>>>...

Craig's Rear Shock Image

Though I would see if moving the bottom bracket back towards the rear slightly would allow the shock to clear the ridge in the body without cutting. The other kit sold by the guy in Wisconsin(?) didn't require cutting the trunk seal area.
racerbvd
Do you still need them?? I have both F&R Camp 914 inst. that I can scan..
Rand
You may be able to find enough info via search here. See if these help:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=67167
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=8014
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=43443

I picked up a couple shocks off a hatchback at the pick-n-pull for $5, fabricated mounting tabs, attached to hinge brackets first (farthest from the pivot for most leverage and still able to clear everything), then propped trunk lid fully open and attached the rear ends making sure there was a little pressure on the shocks. Can't fail.
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 12 2012, 11:57 AM) *

You may be able to find enough info via search here. See if these help:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=67167
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=8014
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=43443

I picked up a couple shocks off a hatchback at the pick-n-pull for $5, fabricated mounting tabs, attached to hinge brackets first (farthest from the pivot for most leverage and still able to clear everything), then propped trunk lid fully open and attached the rear ends making sure there was a little pressure on the shocks. Can't fail.

Thanks Man, That's a huge help. I was really wondering about the hinge pivot config...got it now!
racerbvd
Scanned... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.