Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 RRC 2013 Tune Up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
SLITS
While it may be expensive, if the follower is that loud pay them to adjust the valves.

A loose valve is far better than a tight valve.
map
Broken or bent exhaust valve on the left side.

stromberg.gif

I'll be in my room...

Pieper
majkos
hissyfit.gif headbang.gif
Ferg
sad.gif
Kirmizi
Ouch Pieper. icon8.gif

Mike
Gint
Yikes... Sorry Mike.
SLITS
sad.gif

If you need a head or 3, let me know. I believe I have a setup (heads & cam tower still bolted together) for a 2.7L.
Scott S
cr@p. I am sorry - that really stinks.

Was the engine noisey before you guys did all of the work?

brant
Dang. I'm so sorry. It is something that can be repaired at least. Usually the one head can be repaired and the bank put back. (Checking the cam timing). So sorry.
sixnotfour
put a chopstick into the spark plug hole and turn the motor over .
Its along shot , but maybe you will bend it back straight.....yup yup great idea.....
stirthepot.gif headbang.gif chair.gif poke.gif hissyfit.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif

Bad News.....at least now you have all winter dry.gif
RonD
I'm afraid I am all too familar with your pain. Sorry to hear about this. Kind of fits the gloomy snowy weather we are having right now.

Don't want to drive in weather like this anyway so at least we got a few months to get them fixed and ready for next season.
SLITS
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 26 2012, 09:29 AM) *

Dang. I'm so sorry. It is something that can be repaired at least. Usually the one head can be repaired and the bank put back. (Checking the cam timing). So sorry.

Brant, Pieper / Kevin are newbies to a six so you have to explain that the heads are done in 3s. They have to be matched for height so that the cam carrier will sit flat. That is why I offered a set of 3 still bolted to the cam carrier.

I suppose they could do just one because it is already matched to the other two.
brant
I guess my hope was that the original head can be reused and the height match still matches....
hopefully a new valve and clean up will do it.

good point though..
if you can't reuse one head, you have to find a replacement that is height matched (hard to do)

it really sounds like the cam timing was off enough that it kissed some valves...
hopefully given that it ran only a little in the jacks shop.... it didn't over heat or hopefully didn't hit hard enough to damage pistons/rods/etc...
(bent is much better than broken... crossing my fingers)

so one or some, new valves and some clean up could be an option still.
brant
sixnotfour
agree.gif probably got adjusted wrong and banged the piston.
new valve or reground used and a lap , It will be fine....just a Pit Stop.
map
Hopefully everyone understands why this thread has been dark for so long. It has taken some time to get the car back to its prior level of performance. After the valve job, I had to rebuild the rear accelerator cable mount as the custom parts disappeared in the repair process. After that, the car was still running poorly because some of the plug wire wouldn't stay connected and the ground to the fuel pump was faulty, creating fuel pressure issues.

Now the car is running great and I am back in love. Here's a recap of what was done as part of this 13 month tuneup.

Transmission Rebuild
Air Filter
Ditributor (vacuum advance on the old one was broken)
Distributor Cap
Rotor
Fuel Filter
Oil Pressure Switch
Oil Pressure Sending Unit (no guage yet)
Chain Tensioner Update
Pertronix
Valve Job
Crank Pulley (the old one was for an AC equipped car)
Plug Wires
Spark plugs

I guess I knew what I was doing when I labeled this thread "914-6 RRC 2013 Tune Up." Diane, the yellow 914 and I will be in Durango next week and I will be smiling again.

Thanks for all the help and support Kevin and I received. This is a fantastically knowledgeable and helpful community.

Pieper
Eric_Shea
Scott, thanks for pointing out which tranny you're talking about there. wink.gif

QUOTE(Scott S @ Aug 26 2012, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Aug 26 2012, 08:45 AM) *

all of the 914 trannys need the 64-69 flywheel (6 bolt)

just buy a 914 clutch kit (the 6 cylinder ones are probably all that is sold now, they have more springs for less stutter as you start out in 1st gear)

This.

Click to view attachment

from the pics, that is the correct flywheel from an early 911/914-6. Did you get new bolts?

I have a huge binder of info (all printed from either this site or Pelican) from doing my conversion. Would you like to borrow it? I can pick it up on Thursday and drop it off on friday. Let me know.

Eric_Shea
QUOTE(map @ Oct 25 2012, 05:16 PM) *

Broken or bent exhaust valve on the left side.

stromberg.gif

I'll be in my room...

Pieper

Now I don't feel so bad. But, I feels bad for you. sad.gif. Glad you got it running!
sixnotfour
Oh Boy another yellow six RRC 2013
map
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 30 2013, 07:59 AM) *

Oh Boy another yellow six RRC 2013

An inescapable color, yellow. At least in a 914 it seems. I may be putting a green one back on the road this year. I've seen green ones win awards at RRC gatherings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.