Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass bumper tops Pics on post 60
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mikey914
I've been pushing james to make these for some time, as you all know. He's finally hirred some help to get these done.
If I can get 25 sets we can drop that down to $290.

So for less than you can buy one bumper top for, you can get a set. They will come in a black gel coat, but can be sanded and painted to the color of your car.

So who's interested?
bfrymire
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 5 2012, 09:10 AM) *

I've been pushing james to make these for some time, as you all know. He's finally hirred some help to get these done.
If I can get 25 sets we can drop that down to $290.

So for less than you can buy one bumper top for, you can get a set. They will come in a black gel coat, but can be sanded and painted to the color of your car.

So who's interested?

+1
ThePaintedMan
You. Da. Man. +1
SLKWrx
I'm in.
walterolin
One set, assuming they will fit my '70 which they should.

Olin
jsayre914
can the fiberglass be made to look original, or just painted to match the car?
stugray
I might be interested. Now that you have the molds for the bumper top, can you do a whole bumper with the top already molded in?

How much lighter are the FG tops than the rubber?
I have some nice rubber tops. Selling those would probably pay for the FG.

Stu
bembry
Mark--do you have pics?
timothy_nd28
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(tim_nd @ Sep 5 2012, 03:11 PM) *

agree.gif
pilothyer
I am in if........"If I can get 25 sets we can drop that down to $290." Jerry
ruby914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 5 2012, 06:10 PM) *

agree.gif

Great Price
agree.gif What they said.
Mikey914
QUOTE(walterolin @ Sep 5 2012, 11:34 AM) *

Olin

Yes they will.
Mikey914

Yes I agree, I will get you some pictures as soon as I have the product. james is supposed to be working throught the weekend on these to get them out faster. He's making improvements to the design as the early ones that another vendor had made didn't have enough support and they had more flex than they should have. These will be a significant leap above what was on the market. I can't wait to post, but now that these have been fast tracked, I thought I should get the GB up to hit the level we need to get the cost down.
Mikey914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 5 2012, 01:30 PM) *

They will come textured like the OEM and are a black Gel coat, so they will look like OEM. They can be sanded and painted to match the car as a few have done.
-Mark
Mikey914
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 5 2012, 03:02 PM) *

I might be interested. Now that you have the molds for the bumper top, can you do a whole bumper with the top already molded in?

How much lighter are the FG tops than the rubber?
I have some nice rubber tops. Selling those would probably pay for the FG.

Stu

We will be selling a version of the front molded to the bumper, as well as both pieces as individuals. The rear is the early style bumper as it is right for the 6, we had not planned to mold them together.

We are also working on a "chroming" process for the bumpers, but the bumpers will be available in a black gel coat 1st.
More good stuff to come too.
Lennies914
I'm in for a set.
Krieger
I'm in for a set if the price is $290
Mikey914
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 6 2012, 07:34 AM) *

I'm in for a set if the price is $290

That's a firm 6 (at $290) and a few possibles???? I think we are on track. I'm sure pictures will help close the deal for a few.
gus91326
I'm new. What's a bumper top?
TheCabinetmaker
I'm in for a set at 290. I have one of those others you're talking about. Total piece of crap, but still better than nothing.
Mikey914
QUOTE(gus91326 @ Sep 6 2012, 10:28 AM) *

I'm new. What's a bumper top?

Pre 75, it's the part on top of the steel, I made these in rubber, but fiberglass will make good looking bumpers afordable to all.
It's these -
http://shop.914rubber.com/product.sc?produ...p;categoryId=-1

with the rears, less than 1/2 the cost.
Mikey914
That's 9 with maybes at 6???,
14 comitted to go
maf914
Mark,

I am in for a set, front and rear. As usual, thanks for your efforts.
walterolin
QUOTE(walterolin @ Sep 5 2012, 02:34 PM) *

Olin

Count this as a "commit" - front and rear.

Olin
FlatIV
one set please.

Andrew
Harpo
I'm possibly interested

DAvid
Germancar-Junkie
I'm in for 1 set. Just let me know what to do next! popcorn[1].gif
scotty b
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 5 2012, 12:30 PM) *

If someone local gets a set of these I would be willing to do a how to thread, to make them look as close as possible to original smile.gif
JamesM
Count me in on this.

ThinAir
I'm in for one set, front & rear, if we get the numbers for $290.
GulleyGulley
I'm in for a front only if possible. If not, I'm in for a full set. When will these be available to order
Mikey914
That's 15 commits and a few ???
Looks like this will happen.
-Mark
dadaDaveed
Count me in for a set at $290.

-DB
saigon71
In for one set...preferably at $290. smile.gif

Thanks for this (and all your other products) Mark!

Bob
dr.tim
I would buy a set.
Mikey914
18...... 7 to go looks very do-able
zig-n-zag
I'm in for a set at 290
bembry
Do they not look original in the black gel coat? If not, are they close? I was kinda looking for plug and play, not something I had to paint.

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 9 2012, 02:27 PM) *

If someone local gets a set of these I would be willing to do a how to thread, to make them look as close as possible to original smile.gif

mburkhart
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 5 2012, 11:09 PM) *

We will be selling a version of the front molded to the bumper, as well as both pieces as individuals. The rear is the early style bumper as it is right for the 6, we had not planned to mold them together.

Will these bumper tops fit a stock 1974 front and back? I'm in for a set if so.
914outlaw
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 10 2012, 11:37 AM) *

-Mark

Hi Mark,
Pardon my ignorance. I am not familiar with fiberglass and the molding process. How will these bumper tops be made? Will they have a solid core? Or will they be something like motorcycle side cover? I'm worried if I get a set and someone accidentally steps on my bumper and cracks it.
Thanks, Dave
JamesM
QUOTE(dpires914 @ Sep 12 2012, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 10 2012, 11:37 AM) *

-Mark

Hi Mark,
Pardon my ignorance. I am not familiar with fiberglass and the molding process. How will these bumper tops be made? Will they have a solid core? Or will they be something like motorcycle side cover? I'm worried if I get a set and someone accidentally steps on my bumper and cracks it.
Thanks, Dave

I think the real answer here is dont let anyone stand on your bumpers! 8 year old kid fuch'ing around in my garage jumped off one of mine and destroyed a stock bumper top. He was not even 50 lbs. If anything I would think you might be safer with fiberglass as its easier to repair and cheaper to replace.

Mikey914
You hit the nail on the head. It is fiberglass. Don't expect that it will support any real weight. It is cosmetic, but with that being said, we are reinforcing the part so it will not have the sag that the other previously available ones had.

These are made in 3 part molds and blended. To look like and OEM.
The difference is the black gel coat will make them look like the have just been hit with armor all.

If you want durable. The solid rubber bumper tops are the best. But at 2x + the cost.

Fiberglass is repairable.

These are not solid but will apear to be once installed.

5 more to go
scotty b
QUOTE(bembry @ Sep 12 2012, 04:44 PM) *

Do they not look original in the black gel coat? If not, are they close? I was kinda looking for plug and play, not something I had to paint.

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 9 2012, 02:27 PM) *

My response was to a question about making them look as authentic as possible

Original tops were not slick as the gel coat will be. They had a light texture and were more of a semi black then the glossier black that the gel coat will be

I would guess that if your not interested in going through painting them, then you probably aren't too concerned about perfecting the original look, so you could bolt them right on as is. confused24.gif
Mikey914
It's not big deal to shoot them with a satin bumper paint. Just takes time and money. We can lay the gel into the mold. It's a great finish, and less work. I can shoot these at $10 a bumper if you want. Or if you wan to save some cash -
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/S...9&ppt=C0171

It's a satin paint that will look more like the rubber bumper.

ThinAir
icon_bump.gif
Porcharu
Very Tempting, can I come pick them up? Consider me a definite maybe, if I had the cash in hand I would be certain. I could be talked into picking up a bunch of them for other bay area peeps.
Steve
Lennies914
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Sep 17 2012, 01:00 PM) *

Very Tempting, can I come pick them up? Consider me a definite maybe, if I had the cash in hand I would be certain. I could be talked into picking up a bunch of them for other bay area peeps.
Steve

Keep me in mind if you make the trip Steve.

Lennie
Mikey914
I have no problem with pick up. I've been told we will have pictures this week.
Production will follow in shot order. No money taken until these are starting to ship and we have a production schedule
-mark
Hydra.
At that price, please count me in as well..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.