Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: has any one done a ecotec swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Pass45
I have a ecotec in my baja and I haven't used it in a few years and I'm wondering if it would fit into a 914 :sa welder.gif confused24.gif wzall: beer3.gif
matthepcat
I that a good motor? My commuter beater has a 2.2L ecotec .....and it's sorta a dog....even in a manual.
underthetire
Thats the swap i wanna do. Great motors and light. Lots of upgrade parts for them.
Pass45
It moves my baja almost to good it should be around 150 at the tires its a stock 2.2 with a stand alone computer from turn key
JmuRiz
I hear the new 2.5 ecotech is much better than the old 2.4, I'm sure no one has put one in a 914 yet though.
underthetire
I almost pulled the trigger on a 2.0 supercharged out of a Cobalt SS a while back, just wasn't sure of what else I was going to need.
bfrymire
Where do you go for more info on the ecotech? Speed parts?

I know very little about the motor? Like, where is the sump? Rear? Front?

-- brett
wingnut86
These guys do a 2.3 Ford in Vanagons.

Very slick & tons of options.

...and I think it fits in a 914(?)...

Ford 4 in a Van - maybe a 914?
bulitt
John Lingenfelter was into Ecotecs before his untimely death. I think he was pushing 1000hp.
Summit racing sells performance parts for the engine to boost hp to 200.
Also, check these guys out- 898HP with 54 lbs of boost!
Ecotec
Pass45
GM Performance Parts has a book that tells you what needs done for what. Horsepower you want up to 1400 hp with parts list and they have a rear wheel drive oil pan

Pass45
So how much can you move a 901 back I've been measuring my 914 and its gonna be tight I have a parts car so I thank I might try to shove it in it before I cut it up
Mike Bellis
The VW and 914 bolt patterns are not the same. They are close and look the same but the VW adapter will not fit the 901 transmission without grinding and machining. You may be able to modify it to fit but You should order a new adapter and flywheel from Kennedy Engineering. The flywheel you have may be OK but you will need to call Kennedy to be sure.

I say go for it, especially if you have a stand alone ECU. Should be an easy swap with minimal engineering required.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Pass45 @ Sep 6 2012, 06:07 PM) *

So how much can you move a 901 back I've been measuring my 914 and its gonna be tight I have a parts car so I thank I might try to shove it in it before I cut it up

V8 cars move the tranny back 1.5 inches without problems. Any more than that and you should swap to 930 CV's like the off road Sand Rails use.
Pass45
My baja has a bus trans in it I thought they would be the same
underthetire
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Sep 6 2012, 05:30 PM) *

These guys do a 2.3 Ford in Vanagons.

Very slick & tons of options.

...and I think it fits in a 914(?)...

Ford 4 in a Van - maybe a 914?

I have the newer 2.5 version in my escape. Even in that it runs pretty strong. I believe it's a Mazda motor, but not positive.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Pass45 @ Sep 6 2012, 06:26 PM) *

My baja has a bus trans in it I thought they would be the same

Depends on if it is a T2 or T4 Bus tranny. The T2 is the same bolt pattern as a T1 Bug. What year tranny? does it have reduction Gears? or CV's?
Pass45
Its a 3rib its early seventies
Pass45
I called Kep today and my adapter work with a 901 but I need a new flywheel and clutch and that's almost the price of a ls1 adapter
Mike Bellis
Most of the KEP flywheels accept a standard 914 clutch. Their 9" flywheel is special and requires a different one.

Their clutch packages are not cheap. I bought a SPEC Stage 3 clutch for mine directly from SPEC. But you can go to your FLAPS and price a standard clutch. Expect to pay up to $150 just for the throwout bearing. SPEC included one with my package $650.
Pass45
if i move the trans back it might just fit to close to tell with out actually tryin looks like its time to bring the parts car home and start cutting headbang.gif
Mike Bellis
I'm not sure how big the Ecotech is but if I can stuff a V8 in the engine bay, I think the Eco would fit. Got any pictures of the existing setup?
Pass45
The ecotec is taller than a v8
Pass45
The Valve cover Touches the firewall and trunk at the same time
rohar
Yeah, but the intake is on the side instead of on top like a V8. Measure it from the pan to the top of the valve cover, I'll go measure my empty 914 engine bay with the V6 cradle as a baseline. I know a VW 1.8 16v will fit standing up at 90 degrees. Can't immagine it's that much taller.

Edit, nevermind, I finally caught up with the thread. Just move it back and down an inch smile.gif
Pass45
QUOTE(rohar @ Sep 8 2012, 03:30 PM) *

Yeah, but the intake is on the side instead of on top like a V8. Measure it from the pan to the top of the valve cover, I'll go measure my empty 914 engine bay with the V6 cradle as a baseline. I know a VW 1.8 16v will fit standing up at 90 degrees. Can't immagine it's that much taller.

Edit, nevermind, I finally caught up with the thread. Just move it back and down an inch smile.gif

25 inches from the bottom of the oil pan to type of valve cover 17 from the crank to the top if I can get it in low enuf to get the targa in I'm doing it
Mike Bellis
The Chevy V8 requires cutting in the trunk to clear the distributor. I'm sure you could do some clearancing for the valve cover.

Pass45
the radiator out of my bug looks like a perfect fit
rohar
Ok, I went and measured. I'm seeing 18" from the crank, 25" from the pan and 19" deep on the Audi V8. That doesn't leave more than half an inch between the engine and lid, but quite a bit of room between the front of the engine and the firewall. I measured the bay, and that's about as tall as it gets. Fair warning, I'm working with an Audi tranny, your tranny mounts may end up almost anywhere. If you've got a welder, this shouldn't be a problem.
rohar
Oh, and I mocked it up with that monster, the targa still fits if you cover the holes I had to cut just right...
Pass45
This is my other hobby I have a mig and access to a tubing bender plasma cutter and tig the jeep has a ls in it and that was my plan for the 914 until I started looking at my poor neglected baja
rohar
I just realised, with that little I4, you're gonna have a LOT of space to either side. Any ideas what you're gonna put there?
3d914
pass,

If you can get a measurement from the centerline of the crank to the top of the valve cover we can determine how it will fit.

Here's an example from my CAD model for the 3.2 tall V6 SHO (Taurus). It just fits, height wise, under the engine lid. I'm sure the 4cyl can do the same.

Click to view attachment
Pass45
QUOTE(rohar @ Sep 8 2012, 05:11 PM) *

I just realised, with that little I4, you're gonna have a LOT of space to either side. Any ideas what you're gonna put there?

They love turbos with low boost there around 250
rohar
Do they make an oil pan with a built in slant? The 16v I had fit so much better when I tilted it the stock 15 degrees it was in the golf. A little slant makes it fit so much easier and drops the center of gravity.
paroxysm
QUOTE(rohar @ Sep 8 2012, 06:31 PM) *

Do they make an oil pan with a built in slant? The 16v I had fit so much better when I tilted it the stock 15 degrees it was in the golf. A little slant makes it fit so much easier and drops the center of gravity.

would love to see pics of 16v in there, working to fit mine.
rohar
QUOTE(paroxysm @ Sep 8 2012, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(rohar @ Sep 8 2012, 06:31 PM) *

would love to see pics of 16v in there, working to fit mine.

I'll see if I can't find pics, I know I have some somewhere but it was years ago. Before camera phones. They're actual pictures. I'm showing my age smile.gif

There's a few tricks to making it fit properly. First, slant the thing. I know, it's tempting to go with the 0 degree flywheel/bellhousing adapter from Kenedy, just don't. It won't fit. Second, there's a dizzy cap from a Saab that'll fit the dizzy but the ignition wire posts are at a 90 degree angle. This is key to clearing the sheet metal at the back of the engine bay. I wish I could remember the part number off the top of my head. Third, there's a coolant flange on that same end of the head that comes out straight stock. You need to fab a new one that comes out at a 90 to clear the sheet metal. After that, it's a walk in the park.
Pass45
The clutch and flywheel fit the 901 sawzall-smiley.gif
Pass45
It looks like I can leave the transmission in the stock location it needs to go back about 2 inches in this picture and I need to sawzall-smiley.gif more or the trunk

Pass45
It looks like I can leave the transmission in the stock location it needs to go back about 2 inches in this picture and I need to sawzall-smiley.gif more or the trunk

Mike Bellis
Keep going! Looks good so far.
Pass45
The Motor mounts are going to be fun t he one side wont be bad but I don't have a clue what to do about the other side the stock mount is on the front of the head
Lennies914
Look at the motor mount used in the marine application (wiki I think). I looks like a straight bar 914 mount biggrin.gif .

http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&hl...29,r:1,s:0,i:76
Pass45
That looks like it could work
Lennies914
popcorn[1].gif

I considered this conversion myself. beer.gif
Pass45
I'm definitely going to have to lower the transmission
bfrymire
Forgive me for slight hijack.

does anyone know what rwd trans will work with this motor? ( I have a rwd car that needs a motor...)

thanks.

--brett
Pass45
I'm not sure who makes it but they make a bell housing for a t5
that bolts to the ecotecs
Pass45
Kessler engineering
Pass45
The top fits piratenanner.gif and I won't have to cut the trunk nowhere as mu h as I did in my parts car
Pass45
Now I just need to make motor mounts welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.