Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KitCarlson EMS Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
McMark
Long Version:So I was driving my car today. Still had the same low RPM, high RPM issues. I picked up a piece of 2" coolant hose from the FLAPS with which to attach my O2 sensor rig to the tailpipe. Worked like a charm and so I was able to see my fuel ratio while driving for the first time. I noticed that my car was running rich at low RPM (I figured this) and lean at high RPM. Around 3700 RPM things were good at 14.4:1. So with this new information I stopped by the side of the road and tinkered with some of the settings in the fuel map. When I pulled away it was like driving a normal car! Holy crap it was easy. There's still some fine tuning to be done as well as replacing my valve springs and pushrods (next week). Looks like I might have this thing 100% dialed in quicker than I thought.

I'll probably rope Trekkor into helping me tune. He can drive and I'll read the meters and change the settings. Hot damn, I'm excited.

Short Version: Tuning the EMS with a wideband O2 sensor IS REALLY EASY.
TimT
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 13 2005, 07:56 PM)

Short Version: Tuning the EMS with a wideband O2 sensor IS REALLY EASY.

agree.gif

and tuning becomes intuitive, it becomes easy to tune by butt-o-meter and checking that against your wide band.. I was driving a car on the dyno the other day, and adjusting the ECU, by sound and feel, then fine tuning by the torque readings, O2 reading and EGT readings..

gotta love EFI
McMark
My O2 sensor setup installed on the car. biggrin.gif
Trekkor
I don't think all those cans near the hot exhaust is such a good idea. biggrin.gif

Let's drive it.

KT
McMark
Did some tuning tonight. (Thanks Trekkor! wavey.gif )

Made some really big strides. I figured out that the timing was dropping from 26 degrees to 23 degrees at 4500 RPMs and that was causing all the problems. So it wasn't valve float. (duh) But at least now I have lighter pushrods and new springs, so I can rev higher!

There are still some weird issues going on with the mixture. Really makes me wish I could afford some dyno time. That'd really tune this thing right in. I'm pretty happy with how it's running right now. There's some throttle related issues I have to figure out. But it'll take me a little bit to wrap my head around it.

Very productive night. Very cold too. lol2.gif
ottox914
Any issues with the hot exhaust melting the rubber on your exhaust rig? Looks like a handy way to move the wideband sensor between cars, and cheeper than the $75 or so they want for the MFG adaptor.
McMark
Worked fine so far. Some silicone hose might work better, because this stuff is going to have a limited heat cycle life. I can already tell. But I'm happy with it. Works good. I've swapped it to a few different cars.
Mueller
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 13 2005, 10:50 PM)
My O2 sensor setup installed on the car. biggrin.gif

actually, that is my O2 sensor, I subtracted the price of the sensor from yours and James' share of the LM-1 smile.gif

we are "supposed" to have own sensor each biggrin.gif

no big deal, I'm sure it's cleaner now than when I gave it to you, I know my car was running way rich at one time....
McMark
Ahhh, I was wondering about that. Well maybe I'll just buy my own sensor. tongue.gif Works like a champ though. Good stuff.

I drove that car again today. Whoopee! Gettin' close!
william harris
I am definitely cheering you on! I wanted to buy the Kit Carlson "kit" and hope there is such a thing soon. smilie_pokal.gif
rhodyguy
so the o2 sensor you guys are using doesn't care if it's placed behind the muffler? i thought they should be forward of the muffler but in a position that they read all 4 cyl?

k
Jake Raby
Dave is doing everyone a HUGE favor in getting the kit 100% before selling the....

These days that just doesn't happen.......

When it does wait as long as you need to because you have finally found a vendor thats worth a damn....

Dave has ben working on the system since 1996 and I'm SURE that he wants it on the market worse than all of us together, after all he built it.

I fully understand why he is taking his time and even though I have 6 engines here waiting for it with customers that are starting to whine I'll continue to patiently wait...
Mueller
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 25 2005, 07:21 AM)
so the o2 sensor you guys are using doesn't care if it's placed behind the muffler? i thought they should be forward of the muffler but in a position that they read all 4 cyl?

k

how can the muffler negatively affect the reading?

the muffler doesn't add or remove anything from the mixture, it's just there for noise control screwy.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.