Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KitCarlson EMS Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
McMark
I'm in the process of installing the Beta KitCarlson EMS. Today it ran. I've been working on modifying the wiring harness to match the stock layout. I had one wire in the wrong place today which made it keep running even when the key was off. Fixed that and now it idles great.

Things I've done so far:
- Modify the wiring harness.
- Buy plug wires that will work with the new coil.
- Made an adapter plate to mount the coil in the stock location.

Things I still have to do:
- Send the harness to Jeff B. for replication.
- Fine tune the engine.
- Make a mounting plate for the brain to put it in the stock location.
McMark
Wiring harness. Colorful for now.
McMark
You can see the coil in the last picture, here's the plate I made that will mount it securely in the stock location.
Mark Henry
Where are you mounting the brain?

If you mount the coil and brain too close together you wil get EMP problems...my SDS install manual stressed that you should keep the coil pack at least 3 feet away from the CPU.
McMark
Stock stock stock. biggrin.gif The box it's in will be grounded to the chassis. confused24.gif It's a stock, stealth replacement. If it causes drivability problem then I'll look for a solution, but I'm not going to start looking for problems to fix.
Brad Roberts
Where is "Kit" on this "kit" ? Are you the only person with a 914 related kit ? I found a dyno in Mountain view that is identical to Jakes and the guy builds alcohol burning T4 quarter midget race engines... he said we could use the dyno for injection tuning.

B
McMark
I'm pretty sure I have the only 914 kit. I'm sending the harness to Jeff. confused24.gif Dave's not very talkative, so I'm not really sure.

Let me know when and what I need to do and I'll rip it out and bring the engine down. I'm free anytime. wink.gif
Britain Smith
Hmmmm....Dyno. I really need to get everything together for my engine.

-Britain
JeffBowlsby
Looks great Mark...You and Mueller are gonna put me outta bizness... biggrin.gif

Any chance I can see this harness installed in the engien bay before you rip it out? How about the breakfast on Saturday?

Speaking of which...I invited the owner of that 25-Large yellow 73 to the breakfast....he said he might join us...
Brad Roberts
Jeff,

Can you call me tomorrow at HPH ?? Or can I call your cell phone ?? I need to ask you a few questions.

B
JeffBowlsby
Sure I'll call you in the morning...
McMark
Until I get the TPS adapter, I can't drive it. But I'll make it happen. You'll get to see it.
JeffBowlsby
Cool let me know before you pull it...
Brad Roberts
Thanks Jeff,

Mark,

I recall seeing the adapter in the box you gathered everything in.

I'll look around tomorrow for it however.

B
McMark
I looked everywhere and my shop is cleaner than yours. wink.gif Dave said he'd send me a new one. I'll look some more, and I'd appreciate any looking you can do.
Brad Roberts
I'm one of 3 people total who probably knows what it looks like.

B
Mueller
are you talking about the adapter on "inside" of the TPS to adapt it to the d-shaft?

Mark, for even more "stealth" you should be able to rip the guts out of the stock TPS (I used a 2.0 unit) and fit the new TPS inside it....
McMark
Damn Mike that's a good idea. idea.gif
Jake Raby
Brad, who is this guy??

I have been trying to get up with some of those teams for months but all the ones I have found were running Auto craft engines these days...

I was going to try to convert them to TIV with my heads..

Tell that dude that I have a TIV head that flows 280 CFM on the intake and 230 on the exhaust!
Hi_Fi_Guy
I just want to thank all the club members working hard to make the Kit Carlson F.I. system a reality.

I think the improved drivability, stealth look (for stock engines), and ability to pass smog test will benefit the entire 914 community for years to come. I also believe that a relieble "bolt-on" F.I. will bring people to the 914 community that are afraid of the old stock F.I., don't like carbs, or want BIG Type IVs without carbs.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!
McMark
Got the TPS adapter today. So test drive on Saturday. smilie_pokal.gif Yay!
McMark
Got the Palm hookup working. Now I can see what's going on.
Jeff, feel like picking up the harness so you can see it on the car? biggrin.gif
Now to get things dialed in. Mueller, let me know about the LM-1.
Brad, who do I need to call about the Dyno?
JeffBowlsby
So Mark, I work in San Francisco and live in San Jose...how can we cooordinate? My weekdays are long and weekends are best for me.

Can you drive to the city or the peninsula and I can take installed photos?

What is your time schedule?

Email me off list...
KitCarlson
Hey,

Kit is still alive!!!

I started working a part-time R&D job that thas turned into more hours and brain drain than I expected. I am making my way back, and have been working on the EMS.

The list of details for the release is becomming shorter. smile.gif

Sorry to be absent for so long.
redshift
Hey, make this thing CHEAP and NOW and throw in some BIG THROTTLE BODIES for my trip to California.

smile.gif

M
Air_Cooled_Nut
I'm still waiting for pricing. I'm frickin' SICK AND TIRED of my 40mm Dells -- I hate carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just gimme an affordable, single throttle body FI system and I'll be happy.
McMark
UPDATE ON AN OLD THREAD

I'm still having a fluctuating idle problem with my KitCarlson install.

Here's what I've found out after some testing...

My fuel injectors are spraying great. I cleaned them in an ultrasonic bath and checked their spray pattern. The injectors themselves are working great.

Fuel pressure is solid at 28 psi.

I checked my timing again and I'm fairly confident that it's timed correctly.

I hooked up a vacuum gauge and the needle did move around a bit in conjunction with RPM. But it wasn't the erratic oscillations I would expect from compressed gasses leaking past valves.

With the LM-1 hooked up, I've run things lean and rich and still have a fluctuating RPMs. I did hook up an inductive trigger timing light and noticed that occasionally there is no spark. It happens on every cylinder and there is no pattern to it that I noticed. I theorized that perhaps the mixture was so rich that it was keeping the spark plugs from firing, but I've run it pretty lean, so I've abandoned that idea.

Any thoughts?
Korijo
grounding issues ? IPB Image
Jake Raby
Give it more initial timing... Also how much MAP are you reading at idle?? I ended up drilling a hole in my buterfly, adding some initial timing and settin it up at 14:1 for a solid 800 RPM idle..
McMark
Well it fluctuates between 350 and 550 as the RPM changes. It's set at 10 degrees right now. Maybe I should set it at 12 degrees. IPB Image
matt_o_70
Snow on the ground 914 is in the garage..
now's the time I want to convert the 914 to FI before the spring..
Can I expect this to be available in the next few weeks.. or is this months away?

I'd be interested in beta tesing..
KitCarlson
Mark,

Just read your post. You should set the RPM higher! You should have idle set to ~900 RPM. Use the air bypass screw on the TB.

Idle below ~700 RPM keeps the timing locked at static timing (no electronic advance or dwell control) it is designed for starting only. You are also operating to the left of the VE table data that starts at I guess 900, depending in the idle speed setting.

My experience on 3 other 2.0L applications suggest the stock TB is fine without modification with standard or a 73 cam.

Keep your VE table values smooth in the upper left quadrant, this is where MAP is low and RPM is low.

Set correctly the idle should be both smooth and strong, better than a stock D-Jet.

Dave
McMark
The idle fluctuates between 1000 and 1400 rpm. It's the MAP reading I was referencing as going between 350 and 550.
KitCarlson
Oops,

The fuel pulse should be near 28 that is 2.8mS at idle. Try increasing the FB (values 4-10 are typical), then decrease the FS fuel scalar and or VE values in the idle area. You will want to maintain the fuel pulse something in the 25 to 32 range that gives the best idle. What this does is adds a constant fuel percentage that does not vary with MAP. The fuel base is similar to the knob on the D-jet. A fuel base of 10 will give 1mS of fuel that does not vary with MAP. ALso decease the increase in fuel as MAP increases in the VE table in the idle column.

I have to travel and will be out of pocket.

Dave
rick 918-S
Cool stuff. I don't understand a word of it. But I like it. I think... IPB Image
tommy914
IPB Image

Is there an ETA on this being ready for the masses?
Root_Werks
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 24 2004, 07:36 AM)
Cool stuff. I don't understand a word of it. But I like it. I think... IPB Image

IPB Image Umm, I'm with Rick on this one. Cool but huh?
McMark
Makes more sense when you're sitting in front of it. Also once this is available you'll be able to share setting which will get things really close without much work. Currently the setup is on its way back to Dave so he can check out the harness and see if I did something wrong. IPB Image

Hopefully he finds something wrong. At least then the mystery will be solved.
Air_Cooled_Nut
My Squareback really needs FI...getting impatient on pricing and availability IPB Image
McMark
Hopefully in the next few months all the details will come out.
Mark Henry
Where are you taking the MAP off the plenum?

I was going off one of the side ports and it ran like total crap...Map all over the place...then I moved it to the top of the plenum and the difference was like night and day.

You could also try sticking a .035 mig welder tip inside the MAP hose...it does work sometimes.

Also I know you dismissed it, but I was concered about you mounting the coil pack so close to the ECU.
EMP can do some real wierd shit.
redshift
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Oct 27 2004, 11:13 PM)
Where is "Kit" on this "kit" ? Are you the only person with a 914 related kit ? I found a dyno in Mountain view that is identical to Jakes and the guy builds alcohol burning T4 quarter midget race engines... he said we could use the dyno for injection tuning.

B

1/4 midget?!

GODDANG! That's tiny!

hah

M
McMark
I'm taking the MAP off the stock 2.0 location. Could have been EMP. IPB Image Wish I'd thought of that before I sent it back to Dave. Oh well. Hopefully he'll find something in the next few days.
McMark
Got my unit back from Dave. blink.gif

He found a couple small issues.

I spend some good time with the car these last few days and it's officially drivable. I have to work out some low RPM issues (rich) and some high RPM sputtering (Rev limiter too low?). But I cruized it around town today without much trouble. Just rev it high before taking off.

Just wanted to keep things updated.
Hi_Fi_Guy
Thanks for the progress report. I know a lot of us are waiting to see who will get what product to the market and how it will work at what price. Best of luck and let know how it turns out.
ottox914
How have you been tuning the car, and how has it worked so far... by ear, by wideband O2, by EGT? C'mon, dish a little more- inquiring minds want to know!

thanks-

David
Mueller
QUOTE (ottox914 @ Mar 11 2005, 12:18 PM)
How have you been tuning the car, and how has it worked so far... by ear, by wideband O2, by EGT? C'mon, dish a little more- inquiring minds want to know!

thanks-

David

he should be using the LM-1 wideband O2 reader which he has in his possesion smile.gif
McMark
I'm pretty sure my valves are floating at 4500 RPMs!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I have 30 year old springs and ChoMoly steel pushrods. Not a good combo. The heads were rebuilt (not by me) before I built the engine. I have replacements on order as well as new AL pushrods. So the engine will be coming out again. wacko.gif

I haven't put the O2 sensor on it yet, but I definitely will. The unit came tuned for a stock 2.0 when I got it back from Dave. So I haven't changed any settings yet.
ChrisReale
Mark, can you help me with the o2 sensor? I need to see what my AF ratio is.....
McMark
Actually it's owned by a collective of the creme-de-la-creme of 914 owners. ( wink.gif ) I'll have to ask the other part owners what they think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.