Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speed Metal Army's LSV8 Build!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
speed metal army
QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 22 2013, 12:12 PM) *

It's beautiful. Bumpers and all. You don't need to worry about what is in Rand's mouth, he'll put anything in there.

laugh.gif

Haha!

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Sep 22 2013, 02:29 PM) *

Can you give us an idea on average MPG with your carb setup?

Thanks!

I really cant... I put my foot in it a lot! Any kind of mileage reading I give would be unfair to the car. It does burn some fuel when you open up 4bbls for sure. driving.gif
flippa
Beautiful car!!! I love that it is such a sleeper. I would not change a thing.
Chris H.
Looks awesome as is...but I wouldn't yell at you if you backdated... chrome bumpers would SET THAT PAINT OFF and work really well with your wheels... It looks so nice as a narrow bodied car. Avoid the flares unless you have to have wider wheels for traction.
JRust
I've got a nice IMSA front bumper. Great for a car with a radiator. Was going to use it on my LS1 conversion. Plans have changed & while I do like it. I would do it over the BUBS bumper for sure. I hate those dang things. I've always kinda liked the IMSA. So if you decide to change out the bumpers confused24.gif

Even though I'm not a fan of the BUBS your car does look great as it sits biggrin.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 22 2013, 07:04 PM) *

I've got a nice IMSA front bumper. Great for a car with a radiator. Was going to use it on my LS1 conversion. Plans have changed & while I do like it. I would do it over the BUBS bumper for sure. I hate those dang things. I've always kinda liked the IMSA. So if you decide to change out the bumpers confused24.gif

Even though I'm not a fan of the BUBS your car does look great as it sits biggrin.gif

Thanks Mr Rust! I have a whack of chromies here in case I backdate. I dig that IMSA bumper tho. smilie_pokal.gif
speed metal army
Car went under the knife today. Steel flares, new fuchs, bumper backdate (bumpers painted black) and new paint on the way. Progress pics to follow. beerchug.gif
I pulled the late bumpers myself. Holy crap, I lost a TON of weight! biggrin.gif And the car is a good 24" shorter. Im stoked! w00t.gif
NORD

For the bumpers, think fiberglass!!! Very lite and they can look good driving.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(NORD @ Mar 14 2014, 10:15 PM) *

For the bumpers, think fiberglass!!! Very lite and they can look good driving.gif

I hear ya Nord, but I have tons o early steel ones in OK condition. Perfect canidates for paint! I figure if I go black, it will kind of retain some of the overall look of the car as it was.
messix
is the 5.3 all stock except the intake and carb?

no cam or head work?
balljoint
Too bad. I like the BUBs. Other than the weight issue. They are a visible evolution of the 914. smile.gif

Says the guy who back dated his '74 bumpers... rolleyes.gif

balljoint
Lots of pics please.
sic6
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 16 2014, 11:40 AM) *

Lots of pics please.

Had been thinking about you and that beautiful car...now I'm not sure I'll recognize it....So...
As stated...

Pics, please...!
Andyrew
Looking forward to the pics progress!
JRust
I've got to admit. The only time I have liked the look of the bubs was on a flared car. They really set it off nice
Maltese Falcon
Nice v8 conversion !
I'm doing my first one right now, some questions:
I noticed that the drain for the radiator is up at the top, is the radiator mounted upside down?
Did you source the radiator, and fab the shrouding, or are these Renegade items?
It appears as 2 coolant fill tanks are mounted in the engine bay. Or is 1 just a fill point, and the other just the osmosis overflow tank?
Enjoy that Bowtie power smile.gif
Marty
mittelmotor
Not to hijack here, but I've got some pics of the Renegade system in my car. Pretty nice from a plug-n-play standpoint, as it comes with pre-bent shrouding, pre-wired fans and relays, thermostatic fan switch and a single fill point (driver's-side engine bay). Does take a lot of bending/finessing the aluminum, but in the end it's a pretty sanitary install.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
speed metal army
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 16 2014, 11:40 AM) *

Lots of pics please.

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 16 2014, 05:28 PM) *

Looking forward to the pics progress!

Im going to take tons of pics of the process.. The slicing, the dicing, the TIGing..(The only part I am doing BTW, the rest will be left to Metalcraft Adam, I am no bodyman)

QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 17 2014, 09:55 AM) *

I've got to admit. The only time I have liked the look of the bubs was on a flared car. They really set it off nice

I've never seen one with the late bumps !I actually really did like my car with the late bumpers. Now that I am flaring the car, its kind of a cool change to back date at the same time. I still cant get over how short the car seems now. biggrin.gif Plus, the weight savings are HUGE! Im still in disbelief the car moved like that with all that xtra weight! first.gif Wait till I get some real rubber under it! Yeehaw! beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 17 2014, 11:02 AM) *

Nice v8 conversion !
I'm doing my first one right now, some questions:
I noticed that the drain for the radiator is up at the top, is the radiator mounted upside down?
Did you source the radiator, and fab the shrouding, or are these Renegade items?
It appears as 2 coolant fill tanks are mounted in the engine bay. Or is 1 just a fill point, and the other just the osmosis overflow tank?
Enjoy that Bowtie power smile.gif
Marty

Its a Renegade setup. Pretty foolproof, as Mittle shows. The one tank is a Fill tank, the other a " puke" can.(osmosis overflow sounds much better) Good setup! Recommended.
Enjoy the Bowtie power? You have no idea!!I have been! Its pretty damn fun.
Thanks for the positive comments fellas! I haven't really done much to the car since last summer and I have wanted to flare this car after seeing a GT clone or two. I'm pretty excited!
Now I need to find tires for 4 15X8's... idea.gif
speed metal army
Some crummy first photos! Progress!
Click to view attachment
Some super awesome rocker dirt. Id say a pound and a half or so. Good news is , the longs are still nice. smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Rear bumper back dated! Looks odd to me.. Needs the valence. Also not used to the bumper itself. They will be painted black, all dings, holes etc eliminated of course. The bumper tops will be FG ala Mark/Mikey 914. The rubber ones aren't great on these particular bumpers.
speed metal army
And one more.
Click to view attachment
Top view. Fits good!
All those holes you see there? No more rear reflector for me. I liked it, but it was slightly crooked, and now is the time to say goodbye.
Yes, that's a broom handle holding up my trunk. rolleyes.gif I need to get that cool trunk shox kit from Craig. The T bars wouldn't fit with the conversion.
And of course one of my new friends in the trunk. beerchug.gif
Festive_Zombie
Wow, that looks amazing, would love to see it in person!
bulitt
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Mar 15 2014, 12:23 AM) *

Car went under the knife today. Steel flares, new fuchs, bumper backdate (bumpers painted black) and new paint on the way. Progress pics to follow. beerchug.gif
I pulled the late bumpers myself. Holy crap, I lost a TON of weight! biggrin.gif And the car is a good 24" shorter. Im stoked! w00t.gif

What color?
speed metal army
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 19 2014, 06:45 AM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Mar 15 2014, 12:23 AM) *

What color?

L98b of course! Lime green metallic.
pete-stevers
A V8 in a 914?? stirthepot.gif
pete-stevers
Hey Tom ...need some 16x8s

mittelmotor
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Mar 18 2014, 08:44 PM) *

And one more.
Click to view attachment
Top view. Fits good!
All those holes you see there? No more rear reflector for me. I liked it, but it was slightly crooked, and now is the time to say goodbye.
Yes, that's a broom handle holding up my trunk. rolleyes.gif I need to get that cool trunk shox kit from Craig. The T bars wouldn't fit with the conversion.
And of course one of my new friends in the trunk. beerchug.gif

Broom handle FTW! I use only the finest carbon-fiber prop rod for mine…a golf club. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif It's a 3 metal wood, and I use a head sock so it doesn't rattle around. The rubber grip is nice and tacky, prevents skidding/slipping when trunk is propped up.

Nice progress. I agree about the rear valance….looks a little naked without it.
speed metal army
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Mar 19 2014, 08:33 AM) *

Hey Tom ...need some 16x8s

I have some 15's...
speed metal army
Some more pics of todays progress. Flares screwed on before slicing through and tacking/welding. Both bumpers on.My poor little 6"'s look a bit overwhelmed!
Click to view attachment
speed metal army
Slightly fatter butt. smile.gif Its hilarious to me how after I have built this look on the 914 visualizer so many times, it looks just like the renderings.
Click to view attachment
Im currently searching for tires.. Any advice on some 15" rubber would be great!Its pretty slim pickins for fat 15" stuff that's not a 6" side wall. dry.gif
TravisNeff
Its confusing to me how you can keep straight of left and right flares..
sic6
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Mar 19 2014, 09:45 PM) *

Slightly fatter butt. smile.gif Its hilarious to me how after I have built this look on the 914 visualizer so many times, it looks just like the renderings.
Click to view attachment
Im currently searching for tires.. Any advice on some 15" rubber would be great!Its pretty slim pickins for fat 15" stuff that's not a 6" side wall. dry.gif

Car looks great!
How were the flares...did they fit alright?
Will look forward to seeing it in person...you'll AGAIN be done with your project, before I get finished the first go-round.
Good on you!

Paul
bulitt
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Mar 20 2014, 12:52 AM) *

That would suck welding them on the wrong location?
speed metal army
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 19 2014, 11:39 PM) *

driving-girl.gif

Now your making me nervous! Is something haywire?
Chris H.
They look normal to me.

Hey did you get a chance to do a quick lap with the new bumpers? Mine felt so much lighter and more nimble. Probably mental but it sure felt good!
speed metal army
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 20 2014, 11:21 AM) *

They look normal to me.

Hey did you get a chance to do a quick lap with the new bumpers? Mine felt so much lighter and more nimble. Probably mental but it sure felt good!

Not yet! I should tho...
speed metal army
QUOTE(sic6 @ Mar 19 2014, 11:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Car looks great!
Will look forward to seeing it in person...you'll AGAIN be done with your project, before I get finished the first go-round.
Good on you!

Paul

Oh hey its you! PORBMW. My BC flare source!
They seem to be pretty good so far. Finish your car!
balljoint
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 20 2014, 02:39 AM) *

Rich Towle got the fronts and the backs mixed up! wink.gif laugh.gif

Of course the car will never get on the road again so no one will ever know. It won him a SCROT.
TravisNeff
I didn't mean your flares looked like they are on wrong, sorry about that! I know that there are differences with the flares from the right side and left, from looking at various pictures and it is hard for me to see the differences.
porbmw
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Mar 20 2014, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(sic6 @ Mar 19 2014, 11:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Car looks great!
Good on you!

Paul

Oh hey its you! PORBMW. My BC flare source!

Yup
My PORBMW seemed to stop working a few months ago...had to pick up/register a new nom de plum (SIC6) to keep me alive. Today, for some reason, PORBMW worked, so will see who I am from time to time.

Just got my bumpers back from the chrome shop....so some progress.

BUT

Am going to be sidetracked with a project (kinda Porsche related) for a while, hope to have it on the road by summer, then back at the 6. If it is done in summer, will take a drive out your way to inspect your (then finished) teener.

Glad to hear you are keeping with the existing colour....love it...perfect for the car.

Have fun, spring is coming, I'm sure you'll be done/driving in no time. Am jealous, but still in a good way

Paul
They seem to be pretty good so far. Finish your car!

speed metal army
Some more progress. They are TIG all welded on and the finishing begins! I will take some decent pictures on a real camera when I get the chance. The 7" Cookies look tiny in there!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
smile.gif
ruby914
Wow, that looks great. Love the color too. smile.gif
Don't let the sparks hit the glass.
Dasnowman
Looking good I`ll have to come check out the progress when I`m done trying to get me car a rolling chassis for the big move to Maple Ridge..lol a little closer to u now!
messix
looks like you used the dan root method to cut and weld.
speed metal army
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

beerchug.gif Here she is!!! Man I am one happy camper!!
Click to view attachment
speed metal army
Click to view attachment
speed metal army
Look at that nice big ass!
w00t.gif
Click to view attachment
Bye bye 911 mirrors, bye bye rear relector! beerchug.gif
Fat RE-11's! drooley.gif
The flares were from Porbmw, the wheels from the mighty pete stevers.
Somehow its way more fun to drive now. smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
first.gif
speed metal army
And one more..
Click to view attachment
The ol' cell phone doesn't do it justice. Some small things to do still but that's the fun part. smile.gif I made a drawing of the bumper grille to match the fog grilles as close as I could.. The bumper has a slight curve to it. I altered the dwg to fit that. It worked pretty good.
Maltese Falcon
The air inlet in the bumper looks sweet !
Marty
Dasnowman
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Jul 3 2014, 08:45 PM) *

And one more..
Click to view attachment
The ol' cell phone doesn't do it justice. Some small things to do still but that's the fun part. smile.gif I made a drawing of the bumper grille to match the fog grilles as close as I could.. The bumper has a slight curve to it. I altered the dwg to fit that. It worked pretty good.

Looking sweet I'm a little closer now in Ridge! I would love to go for a rip! ya buddy lets go for a rip! Lol first.gif
yellowporky
Very nice looking car. I too like the color and happy to see the new bumpers
Good Job
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.