Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Work Bench
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Brian_Boss
All I can add to all the good ideas above is to say that it's nice to have both metal and wood tops, depending on the project. If you only have room for one bench, you might consider covering half with metal.

Now, the real reason for my post is to say how much I admire the discipline of the guys posting pics of the clean benches. I have two 3' x 6' benches and I frequently find myself hunched over working on the shop floor because both benches are covered in junk. I'm too embarrassed to post a picture.
Gint
Eh... mine has crap on it all the time. Might as well post a pic.

You guys wanna see the 10' ... desk I have in my garage also?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(balljoint @ Dec 21 2012, 11:48 AM) *

I am with scotty on the freebies. I found some great parts just left behind in an old churchyard. I built a great work bench last summer with it. It's going to be great because you can just flip the top up and store all kinds of stuff in it, once I figure out how to get it unsealed that is. I also need to add a lower frame to bring the height up.

Click to view attachment

Dual purpose....and biodegradable.
14.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(struckn @ Dec 21 2012, 11:56 AM) *

Here's a PORTABLE HEAVY TABLE WORK BENCH 4' X 4' that I made out of 2x4's, 2x6's and white pre cut Laminate Partical boards 2ft x 4ft. The legs on one side only are cut shorter then the legs on the other side so that caster wheels can level and support the table. By lifting the opposite side it can be rolled around to any where you are working at. Also made several 2ft x8ft wall mounted benches using the white Laminated particle boards. They pretty tuff and reflect light plus easy to clean and not that expensive.

IPB Image

Is that an f4u?? Super cool!

Extra points if you built it and it wasn't an arf!
TravisNeff
smile.gif
stugray
Eh... mine has crap on it all the time. Might as well post a pic.

You mean like this: (its sort of a where's waldo for 914 parts ;-)

IPB Image

Free butcher block work benches from work! piratenanner.gif

Stu
struckn
QUOTE(rwilner @ Dec 21 2012, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(struckn @ Dec 21 2012, 11:56 AM) *

Here's a PORTABLE HEAVY TABLE WORK BENCH 4' X 4' that I made out of 2x4's, 2x6's and white pre cut Laminate Partical boards 2ft x 4ft. The legs on one side only are cut shorter then the legs on the other side so that caster wheels can level and support the table. By lifting the opposite side it can be rolled around to any where you are working at. Also made several 2ft x8ft wall mounted benches using the white Laminated particle boards. They pretty tuff and reflect light plus easy to clean and not that expensive.

IPB Image

Is that an f4u?? Super cool!

Extra points if you built it and it wasn't an arf!

Thanks...Not a Corsair, it's a AT-6 Texan Mid West Kit, 80" wing and yes I'm a builder flyer for 20+ years.
Gint
icon_bump.gif This thread is much too young to die...
Elliot Cannon
You can find great ideas here. http://www.garagejournal.com/
euro911
Yeah. Here you go ... roll away and bench in one movable unit idea.gif

Click to view attachment
jfort
finally just got back on line to see if anyone responded. WOW! Lots of good ideas. I may do half metal, half plywood. I've done plywood in the past and painted with epoxy paint. I like the one with the sticky back tiles. Maybe that and a movable one with a metal top. Rolling over the metal at the edges is a great idea. Need to figure out how to do drawers in an effort to reduce clutter. again, thanks, guys!
rfuerst911sc
Built mine out of 2x6's and over 16 ' long, installed masonite as the top surface. Cheap and easy to replace.
7TPorsh
how about some shelving and cabinet ideas? I have that wood IKEA crap right now...like glued toothpicks and planks.

Ready made cabinets are $100+ for flimsy 3 foot wide 6 foot tall.

euro911
If you're on a budget and just need some inexpensive vertical storage, Lowes and Home Depot sell those 18"x36" 6' plastic shelf units for about $35. (I bought a bunch when they were on sale for $30.). I think I have a dozen at the shop now blink.gif

Click to view attachment
cwpeden
Down the street from my place is a government surplus clearing house.

Big corner desks from gov offices. $50-100 cdn...thats like $55-105 tongue.gif
Michelj13
Here is mine. A little messy, but surprising what I get done on it smile.gifClick to view attachment
7TPorsh
I love this thread. Someone should start on on garage floors.
charliew
I picked up a good metal bench with a top shelf from work. I keep it wiped down about once a year with ospho and it gets a little oil on it some times so it's really easy to keep unrusted. I also have a diy 16 ft x 30 inch bench out of 2x4s with 2x6s on top cpvered with masonite. That bench has cabinets across the complete top. it is just shy of 8 ft so I can move it if I ever want to. It's now in it's third shop. I also have a diy out of drops, a 2x4 ft welding table from 1/4 plate. Needless to say to use any of them I have to clean off a space.

We have a goodwill store that is called restore in waco, tx. that sells all sorts of construction materials from comcrete blocks, edging, pavers, ans so on to used doors and cabinets and shelves. I am waiting till they sell the large shelving like they use in home depot or lowes to make a really big three shelf place in my shop to put all my big stuff up. The motors can go under it on the floor and stuff like fg parts and upholstery on top. I have way too much stuff so all my friends say.
montoya 73 2.0
I needed a desk but wanted a workbench so I built a desk / workbench out of walnut wood.

Before:

Click to view attachment

After:

Click to view attachment

I know it's not what you guys have but it's still a workbench! piratenanner.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 20 2012, 09:52 AM) *

If you want a wood top, try a building supply that may have a damaged solid core wood door. They are heavy enough to support a vise and whatever else you can put on it. I have several in my shop.

I have the same. Then again I sell solid core wood doors for a living... so coming by mistakes is pretty easy.... I used an 8' door, old kitchen cabinets and another door.

Gint
This thread... influenced me to clean up my bench and desk out in the garage.
PanelBilly
Find a local office furniture manufacturer. They'll have "scraps" plenty big enough and would love to get some cash for their surplus. The standard is 1 1/4 thick MDF with laminate on one side and backer on the other
euro911
Long overdue here. Not far behind you, Mike idea.gif

Click to view attachment
stateofidleness
looks like a '78/'79ish Peavey Mace VT Series 1x12 combo!! ahhh
I have the head version of that amp and I absolutely love it! thing weighs about 2 tons.
euro911
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jan 9 2013, 10:35 PM) *
looks like a '78/'79ish Peavey Mace VT Series 1x12 combo!! ahhh
I have the head version of that amp and I absolutely love it! thing weighs about 2 tons.
Pretty right on on the date. Just a little 60w 'Pacer', but it worked pretty good in small halls. Sold my prized twin reverb years ago, but still have a 100w Carvin somewhere in all this mess laugh.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.