Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *****Warning***** Where there is smoke.......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
wndsnd
After doing business over a year with members and vendors listed in the Classifieds, and having nothing but good experience with all, and getting my car restored with everyone's help from this and other forums with great fun, I think I have a problem.

There is a member that has been posting in the Classifieds of all the 914 forums, almost daily, with sometimes many posts a day. This member is out of PA.

He responded to my post WTB a running engine with a 1.7. I was in his area on a business trip and called to take a look. We shood hands. We made a deal and I paid him with a check in full. That was before Thanksgiving. The deal was to deliver to my door in MA.

To date, no engine, but many excuses. Now I realize we are dealing with a holiday period. But, I have heard so many stories, and also have had more requests for money for aditional parts I was interested in. I have taken many days off waiting for this engine to arrive on dates scheduled. Yesterday it was to be here by noon, at 5:00 pm I called and was told his driver was 1-2 hours out. Never arrived. Now this guy has gone underground on me.

Before I take this to the next level, I am looking to see if it's just a bad deal for him promising delivery he can't make. OR, if others are getting duped. Please PM me.

Thanks.

BTW, if this is a legitimate guy that thinks he made a bad deal, I would think he would just man up and pay a shipper to get it done.

I gave him $500.00, of which $150 was to pay for getting it to me for a (trusting this) running 1.7.
billh1963
I hope this works out for you. If the seller doesn't come through quickly, please let us know!
SirAndy
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 31 2012, 10:37 AM) *
BTW, if this is a legitimate guy that thinks he made a bad deal, I would think he would just man up and pay a shipper to get it done.

How would anyone be able to answer that question for you if you don't tell us his name?
confused24.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 31 2012, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 31 2012, 10:37 AM) *

How would anyone be able to answer that question for you if you don't tell us his name?
confused24.gif

I will expose him, but I was hoping that there still might be some underlieing problem that I don't know about.

I did give you hints (PA, Multiple Posts, Running 1.7)

But I am trying to take this one step at a time, that is why I requested PM's
Black22
As much as I want a part, I look to see the post count and Member status. I know who it is you're talking about and I personally would have had reservations about handing over payment in advance to a 0 post "Lurker".

Hope you get the engine soon. smile.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(Black22 @ Dec 31 2012, 02:16 PM) *

As much as I want a part, I look to see the post count and Member status. I know who it is you're talking about and I personally would have had reservations about handing over payment in advance to a 0 post "Lurker".

Hope you get the engine soon. smile.gif

Well you are right. Lesson Learned, however I did go to his shop in person, looked at the engine, shook hands with him, and saw all the parts he was listing and selling along with multiple parts cars. He seems like a good guy. I am hoping that he will stop disrespecting me and get this deal done, or return the money.

If he is scamming, there will be others that will reach out to me to help make my case, or he will complete this deal.
Cracker
Based upon what you reported I'd simply leave a voicemail. You have 3 days to do one of two things; 1) deliver the engine, or 2) Fedex me a check for the full refund. If not, a police report will be filed for theft/fraud. You will press charges. If he does neither - follow through with your options.

Please, please, please tell us you at least filled out a simple Bill of Sale?!?!?!?!?!

"MR. NICE GUY" IS LONG OVER!
SirAndy
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 31 2012, 11:06 AM) *
I will expose him, but I was hoping that there still might be some underlieing problem that I don't know about.

I never understood the logic of making a public post warning about someone but then not mentioning a name.

Hints? Really? What is this, some sort of game show? Kindergarten? confused24.gif

I'd rather have the name out in the open. That way the guy has a chance to defend himself and everyone else has a chance to make up their mind.

Put everything on the table and be prepared for the consequences, good or bad.
popcorn[1].gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 31 2012, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 31 2012, 11:06 AM) *

I never understood the logic of making a public post warning about someone but then not mentioning a name.

Hints? Really? What is this, some sort of game show? Kindergarten? confused24.gif

I'd rather have the name out in the open. That way the guy has a chance to defend himself and everyone else has a chance to make up their mind.

popcorn[1].gif

Sorry Sir Andy but I disagree with you.

I made a deal in good faith. Before I expose him on Three Boards, I wanted to see if there might be some commonality to his business, or if not, maybe a good reason he is now underground for me and has my money. I know that this parts business is not easy. The few times I have had to ship out things and cores, it was a PITA for me. The legitimate parts guys provide a valuable and much needed service, and I do have respect for their hard work and support. I am not playing games I assure you. However, I do not want to cause any person or business any unwarranted damage.

I think a request for PM's was reasonable on my part. Let's see who if any steps out.
carr914
Don't know the guy, but I would Never buy anything from someone if they have less than 25 Posts (on any Forum! - heck on some Forums you are not allowed to sell if you don't have 30)
wndsnd
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 31 2012, 03:22 PM) *

Don't know the guy, but I would Never buy anything from someone if they have less than 25 Posts (on any Forum! - heck on some Forums you are not allowed to sell if you don't have 30)

Sadly you are probably right. He surfaced on three boards around mid-October. Again, I did meet him in person. I wasn't completely blind. Stupid maybe....
AndyB
I will call the name out for you running914 there now everyone knows. And now he can answer or not his choice. It maybe just a simple misunderstanding. confused24.gif Members do have a right to know so as not to become victims. I want to know who it was because later down the road I made need a part and I will avoid that person.
SirAndy
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 31 2012, 11:58 AM) *

No problem with that ... biggrin.gif

No offense, but to me this post looks like you're trying to build public opinion to support your side without giving the guy a chance to tell his side of the story.

You already took this to the public (no turning back now) but in a very one-sided manner.

My point still stands:

popcorn[1].gif
two-strokejohn
I'm not going to defend the guy, I've been burned by a few people before too. But, I have purchased a few small items from this guy, and he did deliver on time, and the parts were as described. Please give him a chance to resolve this matter quickly. Lord knows, we all need good spare parts for our cars. Just my opinion.
wndsnd
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 31 2012, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 31 2012, 11:58 AM) *

No problem with that ... biggrin.gif

No offense, but to me this post looks like you're trying to build public opinion to support your side without giving the guy a chance to tell his side of the story.

You already took this to the public (no turning back now) but in a very one-sided manner.

My point still stands:

popcorn[1].gif

Well as I started the post, not the post I wanted to make. I was hoping that maybe that a little squeak would get his attention. Since he is already outed, I am talking about RUNNING914 or Danny Hunter of Easton, PA. I don't want anyone to make the wrong association. And you are right. I am one sided, as expected, giving all opportunities, however out the money, out the engine, and not being communicated with.
JawjaPorsche
This is a shame because 99.9% of people on this forum are great people to deal with.
Cracker
That is good to hear but when a fella supposedly doesn't make good on multiple appointments (with a buyer who has taken off work for him) and says he'll be there in 3 hours (and then goes quiet) but never shows is the equivalent to that of a thief/scum. Just calling it the way I see it.

Of course, this is assuming the OP is sharing the truth, which seems to be the case.

QUOTE(two-strokejohn @ Dec 31 2012, 04:01 PM) *

I'm not going to defend the guy, I've been burned by a few people before too. But, I have purchased a few small items from this guy, and he did deliver on time, and the parts were as described. Please give him a chance to resolve this matter quickly. Lord knows, we all need good spare parts for our cars. Just my opinion.

wndsnd
QUOTE(two-strokejohn @ Dec 31 2012, 04:01 PM) *

Well that is good news. Quickly is good. Hasn't beent that way and I have had many excuses, and now no communication. I think it is a delivery problem.

He was to have a guy deliver, then problems with the guy, then he was taking Sunday off to deliver himself, leave by 6:00 am be there by noon. No Show, No Call.
I found him at home at 5:00. He sent a guy after all. He's 1-2 hours out, No Show, No Call. Sent Emails last night. No response. No contact all day. Giving all benefits of doubt, but beginning to think the worst. Thats why I said if delivery is a problem, man up and just send by truck, but at least start telling the truth. Not sending me emails looking for more money upfront for more parts when I can't get whats owed.

Here is what I am dealing with"

Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 3:27 PM
To: jbnb@comcast.net
Subject: RE: running 1.7

Hello, John,Here are a few picts of your parts , muffler $50.00, air box excellent condition $40.00, heater boxes $35.00, and auxillary light mounts, $20.00, John the sail trim is not cheap i have a guy who has them in excellent condition for $ 75.00, Its an apearence part, I sell ones that are not perfect for 50.00 and they sell like hot cakes, This is the last set i have,and from what i am finding out, They will not exist much longer, The price of a good set in the near future will be in the hundreds of dollars, I attached a pict of the ones iI will remove for you, The total cost is 220.00, I have the motor crated and in my freinds truck, He will be leaving reading pa, thursday morning, At 8:00, according to gps he shouls arrive around 1:00, is that good for you, i want to ask you a favor, I spent hundreds of dollars in the shipping end of my buisness, Could i trouble you to send me they part money western union today, I need to pay for The sail trim,blower box and heater boxes, They are not mine, The guy has other people wanting these parts, You can deduct the cost oif western union bill from the total cost of 220.00, You can do western union on line, They will give you a code number, You give that to me and i can go pick up the money, I will then go and take the sail trim off today, Today is really the only time I have to take a ride,my information is Danny Hunter Easton pennsylvania 18042, i will be giving you a call in about a half hour, John i dont like to have to ask this but I really have no choice, I have a few thousnad dopllars out in parts deliveries, Thank you in advance Danny

These parts were discussed, not ordered. He took real offense when I told him that common sense told me not t send him any more money until the engine was delivered. BTW, That guy never obviously showed up, no calls, me taking time, etc.
Just sayin.......
wndsnd
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 31 2012, 04:08 PM) *

This is a shame because 99.9% of people on this forum are great people to deal with.

Absolutely, I have already stated that. And Danny might well be ok, but he is now not communicating.
gandalf_025
OK... I'll go on record saying the Original Poster is a stand up guy..

I met him on this forum and my wife and I have gone to concerts, car events and even sailing with him and his wife..
He is the last person I could ever see calling someone out unless
he had a legitimate issue.

His honesty is beyond question in my book.

billh1963
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 31 2012, 04:20 PM) *

.....i want to ask you a favor, I spent hundreds of dollars in the shipping end of my buisness, Could i trouble you to send me they part money western union today, I need to pay for The sail trim,blower box and heater boxes, They are not mine, The guy has other people wanting these parts, You can deduct the cost oif western union bill from the total cost of 220.00, You can do western union on line, They will give you a code number, You give that to me and i can go pick up the money, I will then go and take the sail trim off today,

Ding..Ding..Ding...Danger Will Robinson!

Holy Crap..Western Union... dry.gif
wingnut86
I had recently considered doing business with Danny (real name?), but declined when he wouldn't accept PayPal. I just don't do 1st dates without protection beer.gif

I noticed later he was inundating numerous sites with parts.

I asked him to update the vin database on 914World with his cars so we could track their end-of-life, so to speak.

He refused saying he didn't have enough time with all the shipments he was trying to get out.

He offered to send me 4 green top injectors for my review, but I declined again - just REAL odd.

I hope he comes to the board to establish his end, make it right and then resign quietly...

Life does happen, I among many know this, but not responding or doing so with negativity when someone has spent cold hard cash with you is unforgivable in my book.

Wingnut86

Aka, Dave B.

wndsnd
QUOTE(Scotti @ Dec 31 2012, 05:41 PM) *

sheeplove.gif

That's what my wife is telling me, among other things sad.gif She can't be right can she? headbang.gif
Bob L.
confused24.gif He took PayPal from me!

I recently purchased a thermostat from him. It went very well. Aside from a small bracket which he forgot to send, but never charged me for, either. All in all, no complaints.

[edit] I confused this "vendor" with another. He did NOT take Paypal. Sorry for the confusion.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Dec 31 2012, 05:52 PM) *

confused24.gif He took PayPal from me!

I recently purchased a thermostat from him. It went very well. Aside from a small bracket which he forgot to send, but never charged me for, either. All in all, no complaints.

That's odd, he had a recent rant in the classifieds about paypal, he was adamant about not using them and paying fees.
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 31 2012, 03:22 PM) *

Wait, he only takes Western Union? screwy.gif Then I would never buy from him

Maybe he is sending the motor Pony Express!
Cairo94507
Lurker with no real posts.....sorry, I won't bite. I hope your engine shows up and for God's sake, please do not send him another penny despite the fact you met him, etc.

In my opinion, the minute I see "Western Union" I just assume it is a complete rip-off. You may as well just go flush that money down the toilet.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 31 2012, 06:21 PM) *

Lurker with no real posts.....sorry, I won't bite. I hope your engine shows up and for God's sake, please do not send him another penny despite the fact you met him, etc.

In my opinion, the minute I see "Western Union" I just assume it is a complete rip-off. You may as well just go flush that money down the toilet.

You are right, but I write checks all the time as well as PayPal. However, I am getting PM's from members with bad things to report about Running914.
914werke
popcorn[1].gif .... stirthepot.gif
dlkawashima
Unfortunately this sounds very familiar. You may want to do a search for member name ripping914 in the Classifieds section.
carr914
If I were you,I would take a ride to PA to pick up the Motor, get $150 Cash Back and break out a can of Whup-Ass
AndyB
If you need a truck let me know. I have in-laws down the road from Easton. I would be more then happy to take a day off from work this Saturday go down there with you and deliver your engine with you to your house in Mass. pm me it will be on my dime. There are several on this forum who know me very well.
wndsnd
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 31 2012, 06:54 PM) *

Unfortunately this sounds very familiar. You may want to do a search for member name ripping914 in the Classifieds section.

We seem to have the same guy.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Dec 31 2012, 07:11 PM) *

If you need a truck let me know. I have in-laws down the road from Easton. I would be more then happy to take a day off from work this Saturday go down there with you and deliver your engine with you to your house in Mass. pm me it will be on my dime. There are several on this forum who know me very well.

Thank you so much, I do have a pick up if I have to go that route. I just sent him another email. He has been underground today, saw lots of classified posts yesterday but none today.
carr914
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 31 2012, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 31 2012, 06:54 PM) *

We seem to have the same guy.

Now I know who you are talking about - it wasn't through this Forum, but I almost did a transaction with this guy. Bad News, I was dealing with him mostly on the Phone & then when I couldn't get a hold of him, his Mother (?) wrote me an eMail calling me the most Vile Names I've ever been called
billh1963
Based on this, you need to call him out on pelican, 914club, etc. immediately.
wingnut86
Do a search on him, his email and location.

Very eclectic posse...

WTF.gif
Sorry to hear of your possible misfortune....right from the start when this person was posting all the f/s items here and in other sites, I had a feeling.
Hope it all works out.
wndsnd
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 31 2012, 08:11 PM) *

I posted same on all forums this morning but only had comments from World.
Griffinroydonald
I feel bad for anyone who had a bad deal here and if you get a refund and still need a motor let me know as I have extra running 1.7 motors now and will drop my prices to make it easy on you. I talked to him about some parts but was suprised he didn't take PayPal as they will help you out if there is a problem. flag.gif I don't have lots of post and that did cause me a problem here with a member but I do full disclosure as to my Address and promote pick-up as a way to earn the trust of members.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Griffinroydonald @ Dec 31 2012, 08:23 PM) *

I feel bad for anyone who had a bad deal here and if you get a refund and still need a motor let me know as I have extra running 1.7 motors now and will drop my prices to make it easy on you. I talked to him about some parts but was suprised he didn't take PayPal as they will help you out if there is a problem. flag.gif I don't have lots of post and that did cause me a problem here with a member but I do full disclosure as to my Address and promote pick-up as a way to earn the trust of members.

That is most likely why he doesn't take PayPal. I have reports that he did at one time and had issues.

Thank you for your offer. My car is a 1.7 and I tore it down to build a 2056. My car is in for paint now that I finished the rust removal and has been running big $$$. I Thought I would buy a running injected engine to throw in while I sorted the car out on reassembly.
billh1963
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 31 2012, 08:15 PM) *

I mean you need to post his name....as well as the scamworld link
wndsnd
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 31 2012, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 31 2012, 08:15 PM) *

I mean you need to post his name....as well as the scamworld link

Tomorrow now I am tired.
billh1963
Wake up...it's still early! biggrin.gif

You have pictures of the other cars in your signature?
carr914
Danny is Scum & the Admins need to shut down his Ads (again!) & keep him from coming back
flippa
That just sucks! There is nothing worse than getting taken advantage of, especially when you meet the person and they seem like good guys that you can trust. mad.gif

I bought a parts car this past August. It was just before Labor Day, and due to my busy schedule, asked if I could leave the car there til I had the time to come get it. Turns out that it somehow went missing before I got back to pick it up. I had to sue them to get my cash back.

I would post this guy's information on every site. It will probably save more than a few people from getting scammed in the future.
wndsnd
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 31 2012, 08:55 PM) *

Wake up...it's still early! biggrin.gif

You have pictures of the other cars in your signature?

Yes but I am on the phone now. The 914 is all I have now. I am a Porsche guy from way back.

My. dad had a 57 A That we had to put a crowbar under the seat to keep it from falling through. I bought my first slate gray 356 in my teens

I need to amend my signature. When I set it up I did not know the protocol.
914itis
I noticed on one of his ads, he mentioned something like " this is a business"
The tone was a red flag to me.
In my opinion, there should be a rule for someone selling parts to fund a project and an individual selling items as a business.

As most of our reputable busineses here, they have a barner or a link that redirects us to their site or inventory. I think thats the right way for a vendor to advertise here unless it is a group buy.

the site was overload with items from the same vendor. I don't think this is fair for us tryng to use resources here to save our teeners. As a busines a vendor should go to the guidlines of purchasing a barner and host their inventory elsewhere.

Just My 2 cents.
wndsnd
QUOTE(flippa @ Dec 31 2012, 09:07 PM) *

That just sucks! There is nothing worse than getting taken advantage of, especially when you meet the person and they seem like good guys that you can trust. mad.gif

I bought a parts car this past August. It was just before Labor Day, and due to my busy schedule, asked if I could leave the car there til I had the time to come get it. Turns out that it somehow went missing before I got back to pick it up. I had to sue them to get my cash back.

I would post this guy's information on every site. It will probably save more than a few people from getting scammed in the future.

I will get more info out on the other forums tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.