Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speeding cameras
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JmuRiz
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jan 11 2013, 09:10 AM) *

agree.gif
Thats parts of the reason I drive a 914, to go fast!

A fast 914.....impressive wink.gif
ripper911
All depends on how you drive it. evilgrin.gif
euro911
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 11 2013, 03:06 AM) *
In our area the police speed religiously whether on duty or not. I have several sheriff deputies and state troopers who live in our neighborhood. It's 2 miles down a 30 MPH road to the main road. They typically drive 40-45 to get to the main road, but the same officers will cite us for doing 35. In general you can always find officers in this area doing 10-20 over. It's common for them to turn their lights on and go through red lights so the don't have to stop - many times they do this to head into fast food joints! If they can break the law so can I!

One my sons was hit in a crosswalk in our neighborhood a few years back - bad accident. At traffice court they reduced the charges of the driver who hit him though she had multiple violations and was on probation - 0 points and $75 from a potential 6 points $1,0000 and loss of license. Other drivers involved in accidents received similar light fines. From the 15 or so cases we saw before his case, speeders were not so fortunate. So in an area where speeding is a way of life for the police, they penalize us heavily if we do it, but if you cause an accident, that's no big deal.
Set up a video camera (at a location away from your residence) and get some video footage of the PD speeding, send a copy to a member of your city council and your local TV station's news dept. (anonymously of course) and see if anything comes of it confused24.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(a914622 @ Jan 10 2013, 10:48 PM) *

We had a judge get out of his ticket i Washington because there was a ruling some were the interior of your vehicle is not public domain so taking a picture was an act of voyeurism and illegal. The sate cant use a pic if it was obtained illegally and had no other evidence.
If a judge can get away with it ??

FYI if the tickets are issued on a regestered company rig most companys dont even get sent a notice.(i have heard)

I would think out teeners would have the plates mounted to low to get a pic?

jcl

Not true. I was the education director of an ambulance company and I knew of 3 people who were terminated because they appeared on a mailed camera ticket. I was involved in the union investigation of one of them as I was in the back with a Cal State Sacramento Nursing Student and the employee told the company I was having her do a blood sugar and told him to drive smoothly so he ran the light. Not true. I never told the drivers anything unless they were going to the wrong place. The company regularly got 20-30 of these tattletale tickets from the camera company a month. As you might imagine, most of them were pictures of the ambulance going through a red light with lights and siren on.
Nine_14
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 10 2013, 07:38 PM) *

Had a friend who received a red light ticket for $285. They mailed a picture of his car in the intersection.

He took a picture of the cash and mailed that in...

Idiot ended up paying almost $500 when it was time to renew registration...

lol-2.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jan 11 2013, 10:54 AM) *

Had a friend who received a red light ticket for $285. They mailed a picture of his car in the intersection.

lol-2.gif

Running a red light is no joking matter. We all know that.
What I see very often are drivers who accelerate when they see green turn to yellow ! Downright stupid and dangerous.
last337
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 11 2013, 01:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jan 11 2013, 10:54 AM) *

lol-2.gif

Running a red light is no joking matter. We all know that.
What I see very often are drivers who accelerate when they see green turn to yellow ! Downright stupid and dangerous.

red light stop, green light go, yellow light go very fast

I hope someone gets this reference popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(a914622 @ Jan 10 2013, 11:04 PM) *
Right or wrong you are innocent until proven otherwise

Not really. You are guilty of breaking the law the moment you break the law regardless of whether anyone finds out or not.
shades.gif

This is really about personal responsibility. Every single time i was caught speeding or running a red light i have always paid my ticket.
Why? Because i screwed up and i knew it.
slap.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 11 2013, 02:53 PM) *

I hope someone gets this reference

Jeff Bridges in 'StarMan'
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2013, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(a914622 @ Jan 10 2013, 11:04 PM) *
Right or wrong you are innocent until proven otherwise

Not really. You are guilty of breaking the law the moment you break the law regardless of whether anyone finds out or not.
shades.gif

This is really about personal responsibility. Every single time i was caught speeding or running a red light i have always paid my ticket.
Why? Because i screwed up and i knew it.
slap.gif

Agreed, but there is an important distinction here. You haven't gotten a ticket until you've gotten a ticket. In this case, a company in Arizona has tried to fool you into admitting guilt so that they can pass the picture on to the municipality so they can give you a ticket. By filling that form out and sending it back, you plead guilty and your right to a presumption of innocence is gone. Your only defense at that point is to challenge the accuracy of the camera settings or the timing on the light, ie: the yellow is too short. (there is a standard for those things)

My point is simply this, you should never fill out the form on the tattle tale ticket. If they feel they have enough evidence without you admitting guilt, they will send it on and you will get your ticket and you can deal with it then. If you don't agree with this, perhaps you would consider going to the police department and turning yourself in each time you speed? confused24.gif
last337
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jan 11 2013, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 11 2013, 02:53 PM) *

I hope someone gets this reference

Jeff Bridges in 'StarMan'

I was hoping someone would get that one beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 11 2013, 02:25 PM) *
If you don't agree with this, perhaps you would consider going to the police department and turning yourself in each time you speed? confused24.gif

You are missing (my) point:

If i know i ran a red light and if i get caught i will pay the fine and move on.
I screwed up. I got caught. I cowgirl up and take responsibility for my actions. Simple as that.

To me, this is a matter of integrity.
popcorn[1].gif
racerbvd
Spent part of the afternoon dealing with this rigged system and yes, it is bad to run lights, but these things are causing people to slam on their brakes, then get rear ended mad.gif causing more accidents, not less mad.gif As already pointed out, in some places the timing has been changed, shorting the Yellow lights, and un-sinking lights, all to generate $$$$$ ..

I got one for turning Right, on Red, $158+$4 handling, and yes, they have an affidavit, if you weren't driving, and you have to give the info of who ever was driving, and if you do that, it starts off at $200+ and you get the points..
Clearly a no win situation, and nothing more than a Driving Tax, according to a buddy who is a city attorney. As Paul said, FL is going to a bland tag, to make it easier for the cameras, more BS, and the local ones don't take you picture, just the car & tag.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Yea, Big Brother is here to stay, unless we get a nice Class Action suite to stop it..
stateofidleness
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jan 11 2013, 05:24 PM) *

Spent part of the afternoon dealing with this rigged system and yes, it is bad to run lights, but these things are causing people to slam on their brakes, then get rear ended mad.gif causing more accidents, not less mad.gif As already pointed out, in some places the timing has been changed, shorting the Yellow lights, and un-sinking lights, all to generate $$$$$ ..

I got one for turning Right, on Red, $158+$4 handling, and yes, they have an affidavit, if you weren't driving, and you have to give the info of who ever was driving, and if you do that, it starts off at $200+ and you get the points..
Clearly a no win situation, and nothing more than a Driving Tax, according to a buddy who is a city attorney. As Paul said, FL is going to a bland tag, to make it easier for the cameras, more BS, and the local ones don't take you picture, just the car & tag.

Yea, Big Brother is here to stay, unless we get a nice Class Action suite to stop it..

Yea, but you did it with style!! shades.gif (nice car) (side note: what's wrong with right on red?)
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2013, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 11 2013, 02:25 PM) *
If you don't agree with this, perhaps you would consider going to the police department and turning yourself in each time you speed? confused24.gif

You are missing (my) point:

If i know i ran a red light and if i get caught i will pay the fine and move on.
I screwed up. I got caught. I cowgirl up and take responsibility for my actions. Simple as that.

To me, this is a matter of integrity.
popcorn[1].gif

I'm not sure you got mine Andy. Speaking strictly of this situation here, if your neighbor observed you driving 35 in a 30mph zone and confronted you, would you go to the police and turn yourself in? Of course not. This situation is no different. The camera company is not the police and you did not 'get caught.' until you get a ticket or summons from a municipality you have not gotten caught. Because of gender difference between registered owner and pictured driver or a picture that doesn't clearly identify the driver, more than 50% of the 'captured violations' never make it to summons status. Once it does make it to summons status, by all means pay the fine if you did do the violation. But to do so before you have a summons? That is something far different than integrity.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 11 2013, 03:55 PM) *
This situation is no different.

This is where we agree to disagree. To me, the (hypothetical) situation you're citing has nothing to do with the real world situation of you or me or Yopu running a red light.

I have never tried to weasel my way out of a ticket that i deserved. And i never will.
Again, that's me and my opinion and nothing you say can change that.
driving.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jan 11 2013, 06:52 PM) *

(side note: what's wrong with right on red?)

Check your vehicle code.
In most juristictions you must come to _a full stop_ before turning right on red.
IOW - it's like a stop sign.
You may turn - but you must STOP first.
a914622
All right, Im not to say running a red light is a good thing. I drive 35k a year in the company car. I see it all. The cameras are just money makers!! It was in the news the 3 cameras in Lynwood Wa. netted the city 60 million a year. They also found the timing of the lights on those 3 intersections were 2 seconds faster that the state laws minimum. Rear end colision went up something like 50 percent.

In your 2 pics one shows you at a stop with brake lights on and the second show you taking a free right? You werent drifting the corner? Or was that you??? Not sure i cant see your face? maybe it was the Sig. We will never know.

"Yea, Big Brother is here to stay, unless we get a nice Class Action suite to stop it..
" or paint balls lol-2.gif

good luck.
Dasnowman
grouphug.gif
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jan 10 2013, 01:00 PM) *

My favorite is the photo showing a man driving over the speed limit on a highway in Sichuan Province on July 29. He appeared in his 40s and was holding the wheel with one hand and his other hand was touching the breast of a young woman sitting next to him. I wonder how his wife will react when she sees this photo. I think his speeding ticket will be least of his problems!

http://belogkiter.blogspot.com/2011/08/man...e-touching.html

He was just stopping short and didn't want that passanger go through the window! lol evilgrin.gif
somd914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 11 2013, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 11 2013, 03:06 AM) *
In our area the police speed religiously whether on duty or not. I have several sheriff deputies and state troopers who live in our neighborhood. It's 2 miles down a 30 MPH road to the main road. They typically drive 40-45 to get to the main road, but the same officers will cite us for doing 35. In general you can always find officers in this area doing 10-20 over. It's common for them to turn their lights on and go through red lights so the don't have to stop - many times they do this to head into fast food joints! If they can break the law so can I!

One my sons was hit in a crosswalk in our neighborhood a few years back - bad accident. At traffice court they reduced the charges of the driver who hit him though she had multiple violations and was on probation - 0 points and $75 from a potential 6 points $1,0000 and loss of license. Other drivers involved in accidents received similar light fines. From the 15 or so cases we saw before his case, speeders were not so fortunate. So in an area where speeding is a way of life for the police, they penalize us heavily if we do it, but if you cause an accident, that's no big deal.
Set up a video camera (at a location away from your residence) and get some video footage of the PD speeding, send a copy to a member of your city council and your local TV station's news dept. (anonymously of course) and see if anything comes of it confused24.gif

Would do nothing, everyone complains about it. We had a 16 year old driver killed two years ago when she pulled out in front of a cruiser that was doing 120-130MPH responding to a domestic dispute call with no report of immediate violence. Speed limit was 45 MPH, deputy was NOT running his siren which the SOP here is no siren over 85 MPH - they claim a siren is not effective above those speeds although the speed of sound is over 700 MPH. It was afternoon thus daylight and in a small town with a few lights. Parents tried sueing but the last I heard they had no luck. Oh, the deputy walked away.

Also had a case where a deputy entered into a high speed chase with a motorcycle who fled a traffic stop. Regulations say high speed chases are only for felony cases and the officers must have authorization - was not a felony charge and deputy did not have authorization to chase. Chase wound up in an accident killing an innocent driver, once again the officer walked away.

But if I do 5-10 over I'm a danger to the public... And they are considering speed cameras around here - will have lots of pics of police cruisers!

euro911
Sounds like you've got a corrupt judicial system there sad.gif

I'd send a comprehensive video to a couple of major TV networks with a list of historical stats if the local authorities aren't serving justice. Maybe it will get some broader attention confused24.gif

I used to work with a guy that was a MD state trooper. The guy was a real dick ... He got fired from our company for making threats to other employees - he probably got fired from his MD job too.
tradisrad
I did not read through all of this thread, so this may have been posted.

Our local radio talk show lawyer has advice on this. He says to register your car in your wife's name and her car in your name. When the ticket comes you tell them that it is not your driving the car and they can't make you pay the ticket. Remember they are ticketing the driver not the car. In addition you can not be compelled to "rat" your spouse or friends out. The burden of proof is on the ticketing agency.

I've not done this with my wife, but may in the future.
carr914
Except in the Case of Divorce your Ex will get the Porsche while you get the MiniVan sad.gif
ednosnaws
I was in Cleveland a few years back on business. We were at a Browns game, and afterward asked some cops where to get some dinner. They told us to head east towards little Italy I think it was called. Doesn't every city have one of these? Anyway the cop told me to "watch out for speed traps" on the street we were heading out on. So we start cruising to our destination, and I'm carefully minding my speed. There is no traffic at all where we are, and I come upon a signal that is changing. For whatever reason, I decide to cruise on through as it turns red. Flashes go off, and of course the coworkers I'm with start busting up. I forgot about it for a couple months, and then get the ticket in the mail. Rental company ratted me out. But I look at the picture, and there is no shot of my face, only a shot of the plate. I call the number on the ticket, and the guy tells me in Ohio, they can't show faces....how stupid! Also, it's like a parking ticket, it doesn't count against your record....and it's only 100 bucks. Still, I don't want to pay it, and for sport want to get out of it. Seems to me they have no way of knowing its me anyway, so I blame it on the valet at the hotel....which just happened to be near the scene of the crime. I got off. I would say if you live in Ohio, always fight it! happy11.gif
euro911
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 12 2013, 04:24 PM) *
Except in the Case of Divorce your Ex will get the Porsche while you get the MiniVan sad.gif

Click to view attachment
tradisrad
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 12 2013, 04:24 PM) *

So true! something the lawyer did not bring up. Guess you need to have a great marriage for this to work! But then the Porsche on jack stands does her no good...
racerbvd
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jan 12 2013, 01:50 PM) *

I did not read through all of this thread, so this may have been posted.

Our local radio talk show lawyer has advice on this. He says to register your car in your wife's name and her car in your name. When the ticket comes you tell them that it is not your driving the car and they can't make you pay the ticket. Remember they are ticketing the driver not the car. In addition you can not be compelled to "rat" your spouse or friends out. The burden of proof is on the ticketing agency.

I've not done this with my wife, but may in the future.

sad.gif
Not true in FL. If you say you aren't driving, they expect you to give them the contact info of who was driving, and if you don't, you have to go before a Judge sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.