Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Admins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
pcar916
I couldn't afford a PC when I went back to school and the LSU Computer center IBM-PC's were taken by grad students who required no sleep.. ever. So I used a Commodore 64 first... When that gaggle of hardware took up too much space, I traded my Opel GT for a Kaypro and got good at CPM and hacking the CPU clock to run at 2, and 4 MB per second!

I was smokin'... so were the Z-80's. beerchug.gif

Hmmm, Arduino/PIC and the 914!

Back on topic, This site's fine with me.

Thanks!
Rockaria
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 15 2013, 11:30 AM) *

They had computers in 1978?

Yes, we had the Apple II, the 8088 was just a year away. We also had access to the mainframe at LANL from our high school.
KaptKaos
I could have this whole thing running on the Raspberry Pi that runs my coffee maker and have it done by tomorrow morning.

914Eric
QUOTE(Rockaria @ Jan 16 2013, 07:07 AM) *

Yes, we had the Apple II, the 8088 was just a year away. We also had access to the mainframe at LANL from our high school.

The Apple II might have been introduced but it was years away from being useful or anything but a novelty.
tdgray
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 14 2013, 06:10 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 14 2013, 02:50 PM) *
Can this old POS be upgraded to something easier on the eyes?

You shouldn't have skipped those motivational classes ... poke.gif

Has to be the funniest quote in the thread and everyone just danced over it lol-2.gif
Kirmizi
agree.gif

And the irony of how the original post could easily be attributed to our cars av-943.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Leave ANDY alone! This site is GREAT with Me. Of course I am old enough

to remember my Aunts Grank Wall Phone !!! I also bought my Son a Commodore

64 , and had no idea or clue of how it worked.

Do this wait till I die then change it all.

Please,

pray.gif pray.gif slap.gif Dave slap.gif
914Eric
QUOTE(warpig @ Jan 15 2013, 09:05 PM) *

This place is just fine like it is. KMA.gif I will never understand the need to "upgrade" software every time you blink your eyes. Old shit doesn't smell as bad as new shit, remember that. stromberg.gif

All operating systems and development platforms are continually being improved and capabilities added. As they ADD new capabilities, they also stop supporting "Old stuff" that is obsolete. Operating systems like Windows, browsers like Internet Explorer, and custom applications like this site must ALL WORK TOGETHER in order to continue to work. That is why all business keep their software upgraded.

10 years ago the internet was just becoming a place where business could be done. 20 years ago Internet Explorer didn’t even exist. And now…things are changing EVEN FASTER.

I like this site, and think it is fine and it might run fine for another 5 years…maybe even 10 if Internet Explorer, Firefox, and the other browsers keep an “Antique Browser Code” mode.

But be assured that at some point, new browsers will begin having problems with this site and then we will have no choice but to upgrade; and then it will be done under pressure.

Rockaria
QUOTE(914Eric @ Jan 16 2013, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Rockaria @ Jan 16 2013, 07:07 AM) *

The Apple II might have been introduced but it was years away from being useful or anything but a novelty.

I never said we actually used them for anything... Just that they we had them in 1978. Just think though, within 6 years of that we had the Macintosh. And we definately used them.

In fact I still have my MacPlus, Quadra 950, and first gerneration PowerBook. They all work perfectly, very slow, but they work. No need for any upgrades or support. They do what they were designed to do.
Rand
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jan 16 2013, 10:13 AM) *

Leave ANDY alone!

There's a word for the day. And all the other sentiments that boil down to this. We are in good hands.
MDG
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 16 2013, 12:20 AM) *

I forgot all aboot Mike bringing the site down! dry.gif

Gint, Doc, Ferg, me . . . all us us were shocked - and ashamed - when it turned oot to be a Michael behind all of that. sad.gif

I bet Woody causes the next crash.
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 16 2013, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jan 16 2013, 10:13 AM) *

Leave ANDY alone!

There's a word for the day. And all the other sentiments that boil down to this. We are in good hands.

We are in great hands, till his fingers start to hurt or Danny hunts him down
Rand
dANNY can't hunt anything down except his next drug.

Thanks again to our local admin crew.
N14
QUOTE(Woody @ Jan 14 2013, 08:11 PM) *

Don't change a thing. Some of us are simple minded and like simple things, especially the Canadian contingent. Don't ruin it for them.

Why thank you very much for your expression of thought for us simple minded Canadians. You have a kind soul - Hockey's back biggrin.gif

Love this site
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(914Eric @ Jan 16 2013, 01:35 PM) *

All operating systems and development platforms are continually being improved and capabilities added. As they ADD new capabilities, they also stop supporting "Old stuff" that is obsolete. Operating systems like Windows, browsers like Internet Explorer, and custom applications like this site must ALL WORK TOGETHER in order to continue to work. That is why all business keep their software upgraded...

...But be assured that at some point, new browsers will begin having problems with this site and then we will have no choice but to upgrade; and then it will be done under pressure.

While that is true, it was noted early in the thread that this forum is coded in PHP. Pretty much all the current forum software is also PHP-based, so I doubt there is much to worry about near-term (other than normal issues such as some of the older front-side HTML commands being deprecated which all sites have to deal with).
The initial post seemed to be concerned about the presentation (CSS) being outdated, not the functionality. Personally, I think a forum about 40 year-old cars should look a bit outdated.

Steve Snyder
..and thank heaven hockey is back!
SLITS
Hockey??? .... a bunch of dudes fighting on an icy pond ....

Watching grass grow is much more exciting.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 16 2013, 03:16 PM) *

Dude ... smoke.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 16 2013, 06:16 PM) *

Hockey??? .... a bunch of dudes fighting on an icy pond ....

confused24.gif

Et tu, Brute? sad.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 14 2013, 09:51 PM) *

FWIW I am on several forums and this one is BY FAR the most user friendly when it comes to PM's, and especially posting pics. Some other sites pic posting setup just plain sucks dry.gif

Thanks Andy beerchug.gif

Yo to that!
charliew
Andy I think it's great. My experience at IBM was everytime we changed equipment or software on a customer it was expensive to transfer all the data to the new system.
Dinobx
Great site Andy. Thanks for all of your work and time (which is in short supply).
Dino
Toronto

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 16 2013, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 16 2013, 03:16 PM) *

Dude ... smoke.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.