Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how do i remove the ignition key switch tumbler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
The PO broke the key off in the tumbler of the ignition. How do I remove the tumbler and/or the broken off key. It's down in there a bit. I can see it but would not be able to grip with needle nose.
j
914Sixer
Try some dental picks. You might be able to get one on both sides and bring the key out. The other option even though it sounds silly, get a STRONG magnet along with the dental picks.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 14 2013, 08:21 PM) *

Try some dental picks. You might be able to get one on both sides and bring the key out. The other option even though it sounds silly, get a STRONG magnet along with the dental picks.

It's interesting that when I use the local search engine on 914world I can't find what I am looking for but when I use the google search engine world wide, I find the link back here on 914world that I was hoping to find. There is a GREAT posting on here about all the lock tumblers on the 914.
http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php
SLITS
'75 - '76 Ignition Switch Assembly
904svo
If the steering wheel is not in the lock position, you can do it the hard way.
Remove the steering wheel then the turn signal/head light switch them remove the two screws holding down the ignition switch and remove it. theres a small hole in
the back of the switch assy that will let you push out the key.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.