Pages: 1, 2
bigkensteele
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 13 2013, 05:00 PM) *

I like turtles

I thought you were into unicorns confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 13 2013, 07:46 PM) *

I thought you were into unicorns confused24.gif

No... He's turtles. I'm (I guess) unicorns. confused24.gif My battery is going out on my iPad. sad.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 13 2013, 06:49 PM) *

No... He's turtles. I'm (I guess) unicorns. confused24.gif My battery is going out on my iPad. sad.gif

Maybe you have the wrong color top on your iPad battery stirthepot.gif
sixnotfour
Lock This Thread...Already
Rand
Thanks Tom, for trying to answer my question.

Oof. Please do lock. Apparently the walls between here and the sandbox aren't tall enough. I'm a firm believer in both worlds, but not a fan of one world polluting another to this point.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 13 2013, 07:04 PM) *

Oof. Please do lock. Apparently the walls between here and the sandbox aren't tall enough. I'm a firm believer in both worlds, but not a fan of one world polluting another to this point.

Unfortunately a lock hurts the guy who started the topic here and wanted answers, along with readers of it like you Rand, so the "Doofus Club" doing all the BS posting is just showing the mean & nasty side of some members on the 914 site trying to get him locked out. sad.gif

Bad form guys! dry.gif
balljoint
Sometimes it takes a doofus to post in and point out all the doofusness that is already extant.

Let me be the first to accept the honourific.

Tom?
Rand
thinking it's enough
euro911
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 11 2013, 07:45 PM) *
...WHERE did you find that? Source...? That must be a listing by calendar year not model year. Awesome, now that we know how many were shipped here, now we need to figuure out how many remain.
Jeff, if you're starting a list, I have three of them laugh.gif
john_g
The local Walmart has two models of Optima Redtops, labelled 34/78 and 35/75. Which one is better suited for a 914?
rfuerst911sc
I could not find a Odyssey battery locally and was in a bind so that's why I went with the sealed wet cell # 42. I added the battery acid mat as extra insurance. If I still have the car when this battery croaks I will probably go with a Odyssey PC 925 and use their mount.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 13 2013, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 13 2013, 07:04 PM) *

Unfortunately a lock hurts the guy who started the topic here and wanted answers, along with readers of it like you Rand, so the "Doofus Club" doing all the BS posting is just showing the mean & nasty side of some members on the 914 site trying to get him locked out. sad.gif

Bad form guys! dry.gif

I don't even know what a lock is, but thanks for that.
Rusty
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 13 2013, 08:57 PM) *

Tempting... but there's an less-intrusive way to fix it. type.gif

Hey guys... quote what you need to, but the huge trees aren't conducive to reading threads.
scotty b
QUOTE(Rusty @ Feb 25 2013, 03:35 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 13 2013, 08:57 PM) *

Tempting... but there's an less-intrusive way to fix it. type.gif

Hey guys... quote what you need to, but the huge trees aren't conducive to reading threads.

agree.gif
Thank you. I do believe that was the Id's point. It gets downright undesireable to go through a thread like that. Think about it as a real life conversation. Do you repeat the whole discussion with to your partner everytime you need to respond to their most recent comment in person ?
Rusty
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 25 2013, 07:07 AM) *

agree.gif
Thank you. I do believe that was the Id's point. It gets downright undesireable to go through a thread like that. Think about it as a real life conversation. Do you repeat the whole discussion with to your partner everytime you need to respond to their most recent comment in person ?

There are rude people everywhere. Some just delight in disrupting the lives of others.

Let's talk about batteries. smile.gif
tumamilhem
So what are the performance differences; pros and cons between the Optima red top and Odessy PC 925?
euro911
I'd put my money on the Odessy ... Optimas aren't as good as they used to be.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Feb 25 2013, 05:22 AM) *

So what are the performance differences; pros and cons between the Optima red top and Odessy PC 925?

Tommy -

Odessy is lighter, dry cell (no gel nor water filled cells), smaller size & puts out comparable CCA/CA but is more expensive & needs an adapter to mount on the tray.

Optima is bigger & heavier - but comparable to old school sealed lead/acid batteries, gel mat cell (as opposed to old school water/acid filled cells), similar CCA/CA, & a bit less expensive that Odessy AFAIK, but more than old school sealed batteries.

However, recently Optima has dropped in quality & life, so maybe not worth the extra coin. Interstate batteries are closed cell water/acid type & used to be good as well, but are owned by the same company & have suffered the same decline in quality over the past few years since acquired.

As Mark said above - I'd look for Odessy or another gel mat cell mfgr. with a better rep. - of which there are a couple in Euroland/ROW, but I don't know offhand which brands are available here.

BTW folks - I had re-quoted the initial info because the topic OP seemed to have missed the info posted early on and had been overwhelmed by all the other flotsam & jetsam which some decided to post which were off-topic & didn't help Tommy out at all.

So sometimes there is a good reason to re-quote stuff, but never a good reason to slam a member's thread in order to get him closed IMHO.
bigkensteele
I went with the Optima 35. It has been a couple of years, but after researching it, I believe that I chose the 35 because it is lighter and provides more cranking amps than the 34. The downside is that it is taller and the positive post touches my rain tray. That doesn't really bother me a great deal, so I have to say that I am happy with it.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 25 2013, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Feb 25 2013, 05:22 AM) *

Tommy -

Odessy is lighter, dry cell (no gel nor water filled cells), smaller size & puts out comparable CCA/CA but is more expensive & needs an adapter to mount on the tray.

Optima is bigger & heavier - but comparable to old school sealed lead/acid batteries, gel mat cell (as opposed to old school water/acid filled cells), similar CCA/CA, & a bit less expensive that Odessy AFAIK, but more than old school sealed batteries.

However, recently Optima has dropped in quality & life, so maybe not worth the extra coin. Interstate batteries are closed cell water/acid type & used to be good as well, but are owned by the same company & have suffered the same decline in quality over the past few years since acquired.

As Mark said above - I'd look for Odessy or another gel mat cell mfgr. with a better rep. - of which there are a couple in Euroland/ROW, but I don't know offhand which brands are available here.

BTW folks - I had re-quoted the initial info because the topic OP seemed to have missed the info posted early on and had been overwhelmed by all the other flotsam & jetsam which some decided to post which were off-topic & didn't help Tommy out at all.

So sometimes there is a good reason to re-quote stuff, but never a good reason to slam a member's thread in order to get him closed IMHO.

Thanks for your input and info, Tom! Where can I find one of these battery adapters and how to install it and where do you suggest a good place to buy an Odyssey battery at a competitive price? (or where did you find yours) and which Odyssey battery(s) specifically do you recommend for a 914?
Tom_T
Tommy -

Someone above listed which Odessy for the 12v 914 system, and the hold-down adapters are sold at the vendors selling Odyssy - both online & bricks-n-mortar stores. Google the "Odessy & size/model #" in the posts above to compare prices.

I don't have any battery in my 914 right now, cuz it;'s getting taken apart for a full bare metal resto, but life, other projects & work keep getting in the way! sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.