Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sheet metal replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
peteyd
We have made another video for the installation of the suspension console.

Adam fabricated a jig before he cut out the old console to ensure that the new one was put in the exact same location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v40ZpRL1Osw

Here is a diagram of the rear console specs taken from another poster on the 914world. I don't recall who initially put it up, but thank you.

Click to view attachment
bulitt
Nice Jig! So you told me once- the steel you use is treated to prevent rust? So the inside of the ears should be good to go? Adam stated he used POR? IMH opinion there may be better rust treatments, the Eastwood products as example, but possibly the experts will chime in.
peteyd
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 2 2014, 06:11 AM) *

Nice Jig! So you told me once- the steel you use is treated to prevent rust? So the inside of the ears should be good to go? Adam stated he used POR? IMH opinion there may be better rust treatments, the Eastwood products as example, but possibly the experts will chime in.

Yes the steel we use is Galvanneal. It is used to prevent future rusting on our parts. Adam put the POR15 on the original metal of the car. People have their opinions on what is a better product to use for rust prevention. We use POR 15 and it works fine. I have not used any other product so I dont know which product is better.

Use whatever rust prevention product you want, but make sure you use something on the original steel.
Moneypit
This is great stuff guys! My driver floorpan is like above, with a hole. The seat bracket also rusted and broke on one side. Is it possible to do floorpan repairs without pulling the car all the way down and putting it on a rotisserie?

Also, looks like you guys need a Porsche tank to go with those tractors. I think Bovington in the UK has a King Tiger with the Porsche designed turret...
balljoint
Hey Pedro, where do you guys buy your galvanneal from? I'm curious if it's a Dofasco product.
peteyd
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 2 2014, 03:12 PM) *

Hey Pedro, where do you guys buy your galvanneal from? I'm curious if it's a Dofasco product.

The steel is purchased from a supplier in Michigan. Same company that supplies the other car companies like Toyota, Ford, GM, etc....

Luke M
Hi Pete,

How's the progress on the lower engine firewall coming along?

BTW, I like the videos of the new metal installs. beerchug.gif
Moneypit
Have you guys ever considered renaming your business to Rustoration Design? Maybe as a joke on 9/14/2014?
peteyd
QUOTE(Luke M @ May 15 2014, 04:51 AM) *

Hi Pete,

Luke,

I have made a few modifications to the die and it is waiting to get into the press. I hope to get it in there very soon.
rick 918-S
I love your parts and videos but Please consider wearing sleeves when you weld. I had a friend develop melanoma from tacking without gloves. They took a finger, then his hand, then his arm to the shoulder before the cancer finally took his life. sad.gif

Please continue supporting our little cars. With your parts our cars will last generations. smile.gif
Dr Evil
Pete, you are the fricken MAN! first.gif Always good to see you and your work at Hershey.
Cairo94507
I love watching your videos to see how this is done. Very informative. Thanks so much.

It would be extremely cool if you guys actually did make a chassis in white for our cars.
Luke M
QUOTE(peteyd @ May 16 2014, 07:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ May 15 2014, 04:51 AM) *

Hi Pete,

Luke,

I have made a few modifications to the die and it is waiting to get into the press. I hope to get it in there very soon.

Hi Pete,

Good to hear about the progress. I'll be patiently waiting for the the finished product.

Thanks,

Luke
bandjoey
I bought a third of a car from your original owners and the quality was 110%. I recommend you all the time. If you are in Dallas -Ft Worth you need to stop in at Zims. I argue with them about your quality but they keep ordering from some guy in Denmark (356 body parts).

One day......your new 914 body....
jmill
I appreciate you guys taking the time to produce these videos. Top notch! I also hope it creates an additional sales jump. Companies that produce good quality, affordable parts for our little cars are getting scarce. smilie_pokal.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 17 2014, 10:27 AM) *
I argue with them about your quality but they keep ordering from some guy in Denmark (356 body parts).

It could be that they got burned too badly by the previous owners. The parts were always good, as I recall, but the delivery times and the communication was really horrible near the end. I know that is why Pelican stopped ordering from them.

It sounds like you guys are about a thousand times better with orders and customer support. Hopefully someone can make the point with Zim's--and I'll see if I can talk to Wayne about Pelican as well.

--DD
peteyd
Hello All!,

Thanks for all the positive remarks. We are glad to be able to provide these videos to give a little bit more instruction on how to install all these pieces.

QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 17 2014, 09:27 AM) *

I bought a third of a car from your original owners and the quality was 110%. I recommend you all the time. If you are in Dallas -Ft Worth you need to stop in at Zims. I argue with them about your quality but they keep ordering from some guy in Denmark (356 body parts).

One day......your new 914 body....

Zims is a distributor for the Simonsen brand that is produced in Europe. They dont move too much volume, but their margins are bigtime. I dont think he wants to start pushing our stuff, there would be too much to stock.

Anyways,

I have another video for you guys. Adam is installing the engine shelf on the passenger side. (sorry Rick, hes still in his short sleeve shirt because we shot all these vids in the same day. But I will tell him to wear a long sleeve next time.)

In a couple months we will have the engine shelf available for the driver side. So subscribe to our youtube channel or newsletter to get notified of new things happening around Restoration Design.

I guess one day we will be making a whole body, but I think it will be a 911 before the 914...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZGf9yaFHEk

peteyd
I have one more installation video of the battery tray and support. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ExKXK0UXpI

snflupigus
Over 110degrees outside in the pic below mad.gif

Thanks for the design guys! I added a few inches to the mounts to raise the shell, maybe not a good idea but fixable if it makes it harder to roll over? Not finished welding yet, need more bracing! but for now it is fine as it sits. This is my 'bad' shell that has holes EVERYWHERE and was used just to test fit. The nice shell is in the garage smile.gif

Changed it up a bit other places too:

41" horizontals
25" diag/vert mitered all 22.5degrees. I was thinking of having some 135deg gussets made on a waterjet/laser/plasma somewhere.

107 1/8" connections.

1/4" plate mounting.

Link to more pics.

My octisserie build

Click to view attachment
peteyd
QUOTE(snflupigus @ Jun 24 2018, 10:43 PM) *

Over 110degrees outside in the pic below mad.gif

Thanks for the design guys! I added a few inches to the mounts to raise the shell, maybe not a good idea but fixable if it makes it harder to roll over? Not finished welding yet, need more bracing! but for now it is fine as it sits. This is my 'bad' shell that has holes EVERYWHERE and was used just to test fit. The nice shell is in the garage smile.gif

Changed it up a bit other places too:

41" horizontals
25" diag/vert mitered all 22.5degrees. I was thinking of having some 135deg gussets made on a waterjet/laser/plasma somewhere.

107 1/8" connections.

1/4" plate mounting.

Link to more pics.

My octisserie build

Great job!
Ninehundredfourteen
QUOTE(peteyd @ May 14 2013, 11:24 AM) *

Here are the drawings for the rotisserie we made.
Hello from the uk. Im interested in creating this design. Could you or anyone here illustrate what the dimensions for the rotisserie are in ie feet & inches or metric. Just need the centre point between the 2 mounting points so a guy with cad who only works in metric can work out how much approximately this is going to cost?

hope ya'll understand my request headbang.gif
thanks Robbie

Rear hoop
Click to view attachment

Front hoop
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

close up of horizontal tubes.
Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.