Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is there anything special about the lugnuts for ATS wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shuie
I have a full set of 15x7 ATS wheels that I want to use on my car. I thought I had seen something mentioned about using lugnuts with a different shoulder profile on these wheels in some other threads. I cant find the threads now.

I have wheel studs pressed into all of my hubs and was planning on using the open steel lug nuts in the pic below. Are these going to be okay for the ATS wheels? They do not seem right. There is very little contact between the seat of the lug nut and the wheel. I need something different here, right? Where do I get it?

TIA

IPB Image

Here is a full pic of the wheel:

IPB Image
toadman
Your lug nuts appear to have a "ball seat" design and the seating surfaces on the wheel are flat. I do not think these are compatible.

You will need to find compatible lug nuts.

I think you may have a second option and that is to have your wheels machined to accept metal inserts that will then accept the ball seat lug nuts. I don't have any more details on this process but I recall another 914World member posting information about his experience doing this.
shuie
Sorry thats not a great picture. The seating area on the wheel isn't flat. It's a more of a sharp cone shape than the rounded ball seat on the lugnut in the pic.
shuie
I think I found it. Cone seat vs. Ball Seat. I'll grab a few from ebay to test.

Here is an old thread for reference just in case someone stumbles on this in the future:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=106869
shuie
Here is a pic for reference. The cone seat lug nut works perfectly on the ATS wheels.

IPB Image
toadman
Very interesting. Thanks for the followup.

By the way, will these wheels be going on a narrow body or flared car? I really like the look of the 5-spoke ATS wheel and would consider the 7 in. wide rim for track purposes if it fit my narrow body car and I could find a set of them.
shuie
Narrow body '71. They fit the rears fine. I should have them test fit on the front today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.