Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marcus' Corvair conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
r3dplanet
I love those vintage pics. Looks like a fun day! Except for that fire, I mean.

I apologize for the long delay on this project. All that's left is to get a pair of lower shrouds and thermostats. The engine is otherwise mostly complete. Need a pulley setup like what David has. I have another problem where I built it in a spare bedroom and need to get it down to the garage. Somehow I need to figure out a brains-to-muscle ratio and get some help moving down a bunch of stairs. Or out the window and around the yard. Something.

The order of operations here is that my 914 is almost ready to go. Once it can move on its own power I can make room in the garage. But I'm very excited to figure out a way to move the engine and see if it will start.

Soon. All I can say is soon.
r3dplanet
Wow. That's a sweet setup. Triple carbs and headers. Still in an overall compact package. Beautiful!

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 18 2019, 11:20 AM) *

beer3.gif

sixnotfour
Glad to hear from you... Ya my mom sent me a huge box of photos, been fun ..looking back ....simple times .....I know some one who is dreaming of a Corvair powered 914..
You may hear from him beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ May 18 2019, 12:34 PM) *

Wow. That's a sweet setup. Triple carbs and headers. Still in an overall compact package. Beautiful!

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 18 2019, 11:20 AM) *

beer3.gif

That was in my Dads shortened Stinger look alike
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
Tbrown4x4
Dammit. I was hoping to hear how Marcus was doing. Anyone hear from him lately?

@r3dplanet
76-914
I was thinking of him yesterday. confused24.gif
r3dplanet
Hello gentlemen.

Thank you for the warm thoughts. As many of you have guessed I'm not doing all that great. My remaining kidney is not doing well, creatinine levels are in the 4s. I'm slow, weak, dizzy. Some days I have good energy but most days I'm flattened out. I've lost 30 pounds over the summer and my docs don't like that one little bit. But hey, on the plus side - new pants! I'm okay for now but we're all on the same page as to where this is leading. I'm totally off treatment now - no chemo, no dialysis, no steroids, no blood infusions, nothing. Just winging it. That's the new medical plan: winging it. My nephrologist gave me the hospice speech last Thursday but I think that's still at least another year off. Hooray! I plan to make all that planning-for-the-inevitable stuff yet another project. There always needs to be a project.

Some notes on the Corvair engine project:

I have a suspicion that I need to take the engine back apart because it seems to me a little tight bolted altogether. It meets spec for torque to rotate the crankshaft. It just isn't quite as free as I would like it to be. Both me and two machinists inspected the main bores and they were all fine, pre and post bearing install. Maybe I'm just imagining it. Or it could be that the case wants an align-bore. Tom Stark the machinist didn't seem to think so. I'm 50/50 on popping it apart because I have no real way of measuring bore alignment.

The main note is that I can't take the project any further. I'm just too weak. Next year I'll be selling my 914 and all of the bits that go with it. At this stage in my life I need cash more than projects. I just want to drive the 914 next spring/summer as much as I can and then maybe sell it in the autumn. But hopefully I can sell off the Corvair bits for someone else to continue the project. I'd like to get out of what I put into it money wise, minus the labor as is my way. I'd really like to see someone finish the engine, install it, and run it. That's been the plan the whole time, but I need to hand it off to someone else as nerdy as I am about this stuff.

It's all sitting in my spare bedroom, almost entirely completed. It just stares at me with disappointment every time I dawdle in there. I'm sorry for the let-down and for taking so long to get back to all of this. These days the Corvair engine is about the last thing on my mind.

So... who wants to pick up my obsessive little engine? Bring a friend.

Now that I'm wrapped up with it I'll reveal a little secret. Half the point for me to build this engine was really a roundabout way to have a 914 and never have to adjust the valves again. Ta-da!
76-914
You're an inspiration. More important than any car is the courage you display. At some point in the not to distant future I will remember your words and attitude and draw strength from them. beerchug.gif
Tbrown4x4
Thanks for updating us Marcus. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

When a new engine is assembled, it can be difficult to turn by hand. I've always been told to put a new starter on any new engine because the extra effort required can finish it off. That means unhappy customer.

The level of care you have used building this engine, I'd be surprised if something was wrong with it.

I'll let YOU in on a little secret: I drive my 914 almost 100 miles a day, and I will NEVER stop hating valve adjustment time!

Our prayers are with you
DaveO90s4
Hi Marcus - it would seem that people all over the place have had you in their minds lately. I would like to think I would be able to adopt your approach in a similar situation. Not sure I could - but would like to think so.

I’ve been incommunicado of late - have been flat out (New Zealand, China. Japan) trying to retire but failing miserably! Must write properly this coming week.

Now 914world, who is going to grab Marcus’ gem of an engine for their 914? I have put a reverse rotation Corvair engine in my 914 and have learnt a lot on the way. I would be only too pleased to assist from afar (Australia) if anyone buys Marcus’ engine. I have the designs for the engine mounts that I can share, a few tricks about other bits and pieces, eg gearbox mounts, and I have a really nice specially designed fan belt pulley that I could provide to the new owner (which is proven on my car and which I think is essential for a reverse rotation engine). Anyway, you get the gist. You buy Marcus’ engine and I will pass on all that I have leaned in putting one of these engines in to a 914.

Or else I will have to buy it myself - but I’m trying to retire, remember.

Will email you later this week Marcus.

Cheers

DaveO
euro911
Really sorry to hear this Marcus. I agree that your attitude is inspirational and glad to see that you still have a sense of humor. I have a saying ... laughter is the best medicine that that isn't prescribed often enough.

I keep telling my wife the reason I have so many projects is so I always have something to look forward to rolleyes.gif

Hang in there. I wish you the best and pray that divine intervention will come your way.
sixnotfour
@slow914 wants a corvair engine.....

Good to hear from you Marcus, beerchug.gif
Tbrown4x4
A Corvair engine is the only engine swap I would consider. Can't afford a Porsche 6, and have had many Corvairs over the years. My son currently has a '66 with a 110/automatic in it. I don't want to cut up the car for radiators and intercoolers.

I would love to pick it up and help you out, but I'm still recovering from my daughter's wedding. (Financially, I mean. The hangover is long gone!)

I hope a World member can keep this going for you.
r3dplanet
Hey gang, not to worry. After all, a world without me is not a world where I want to live.

I have my last words figured out just in case. My plan is to spin a yarn to whoever might be present about how I stashed away thousands of dollars in a secret location. "The money.. " I'll gasp, "The money is in the ... [croak]." There's no reason why it can't be funny. Everything is funny from the right perspective.

Anyway, I'm touched by the kindness. 914world is the best auto forum on World Wide Web. You guys are the best.
r3dplanet
Oh man, I'll bet the dowry was sizable. Presumably a goodly amount of livestock and acreage isn't cheap, not to mention the magic jewels. No idea how you manage.

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 8 2019, 08:46 AM) *

JRust
Dang Marcus sorry to heart things are going so bad health wise. I applaud your spirit though. I've almost got mine back on the road. I'll try to pick a good day & we can go grab lunch in it
r3dplanet
Retirement? What's that? It sounds nice despite the sinister overtones of the word. You should retire somewhere with a huge garage and shop ... for reasons. Clearly only a gentleman of quick mind, sound judgment, and reasonable fabrication skills should inherit my project. Ownership of a well used shop goes without saying.

*cough*

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Sep 8 2019, 05:01 AM) *

Hi Marcus - it would seem that people all over the place have had you in their minds lately. I would like to think I would be able to adopt your approach in a similar situation. Not sure I could - but would like to think so.

I’ve been incommunicado of late - have been flat out (New Zealand, China. Japan) trying to retire but failing miserably! Must write properly this coming week.

Now 914world, who is going to grab Marcus’ gem of an engine for their 914? I have put a reverse rotation Corvair engine in my 914 and have learnt a lot on the way. I would be only too pleased to assist from afar (Australia) if anyone buys Marcus’ engine. I have the designs for the engine mounts that I can share, a few tricks about other bits and pieces, eg gearbox mounts, and I have a really nice specially designed fan belt pulley that I could provide to the new owner (which is proven on my car and which I think is essential for a reverse rotation engine). Anyway, you get the gist. You buy Marcus’ engine and I will pass on all that I have leaned in putting one of these engines in to a 914.

Or else I will have to buy it myself - but I’m trying to retire, remember.

Will email you later this week Marcus.

Cheers

DaveO

r3dplanet
Hells yes we should. I eat light.

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 8 2019, 09:42 PM) *

Dang Marcus sorry to heart things are going so bad health wise. I applaud your spirit though. I've almost got mine back on the road. I'll try to pick a good day & we can go grab lunch in it

r3dplanet
Thanks! I appreciate your help in keeping interest in this project alive. This is a very much "it takes a village" time for me.

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 8 2019, 08:46 AM) *

r3dplanet
I agree! We're the kind of people that feel better knowing that something cool is coming down the pipe. A trip to make, a project to plan, consumables to buy. I think it creates a sense of the necessity of fulfillment. As in, hey I made these plans so I have to follow through somehow. It's good for continuity.

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 8 2019, 08:10 AM) *

Really sorry to hear this Marcus. I agree that your attitude is inspirational and glad to see that you still have a sense of humor. I have a saying ... laughter is the best medicine that that isn't prescribed often enough.

I keep telling my wife the reason I have so many projects is so I always have something to look forward to rolleyes.gif

Hang in there. I wish you the best and pray that divine intervention will come your way.

DaveO90s4

Hey Marcus, in response to your black joke about last words, I thought you might be amused by the following - but you probably know this already. (I’m quite attracted to the words “Wow, what a ride”.)

“Spike Milligan's gravestone quip is nation's favourite epitaph. With the immortal words, 'I told you I was ill', carved onto his tombstone, he undoubtedly got the very last laugh. And now comedian Spike Milligan's famous epitaph has been named the nation's favourite.”

Anon

DaveO
r3dplanet
Alright gang, the project is now for sale.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=341485

Hale and hearty will be the inheritor.
sixnotfour
@slow914

"Hale and hearty will be the inheritor."
914werke
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Sep 6 2019, 02:00 AM) *
Dammit. I was hoping to hear how Marcus was doing. Anyone hear from him lately?
@r3dplanet

poke.gif
r3dplanet
Ha. I suppose I deserve a poke to the face. My cat certainly thinks so.

Sitrep: nobody bought the engine project or even made an offer. Soon I'll have to move out of here and find a smaller place to live. I have to downsize considerably and that means purging most of my cars. The future for the Corvair engine that festoons my living room looks poor. I was *really* hoping to hand off the project to someone else. Now I'm considering just scrapping the engine entirely.

I'm putting the Barracuda up for sale next month. Hopefully it bring in enough to finish the body work on my Beetle. Covid times are bad times to sell sexy Mopars but that's out of my control. That will at least drop my car stable from five to four.

The 914 sits sad alone in the garage for yet another year. I need to find someone who can do engine work and fix the fifty leaks on the 1911 engine after it was "assembled" by a "professional." I just don't have it in me to keep hacking at it. Time to find a good mechanic! I don't want to sell the 914 but I may have to do just that. We'll see. Too early to know at this point. I'd rather hold on to it.

In the springtime I was super sick until mid-May. I'm much better now but have lots of bone pain and weakness. The thought of rolling around the garage floor juggling gearboxes no longer holds any allure for me so the sooner I purge my heavy car projects, the better. I'm happy to be vertical and in good spirits though. It's nice to report good health news for once, not that anyone asked.

So... any takers on a cheap Corvair engine project?

djway
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Aug 7 2020, 10:21 PM) *

Ha. I suppose I deserve a poke to the face. My cat certainly thinks so.

Sitrep: nobody bought the engine project or even made an offer. Soon I'll have to move out of here and find a smaller place to live. I have to downsize considerably and that means purging most of my cars. The future for the Corvair engine that festoons my living room looks poor. I was *really* hoping to hand off the project to someone else. Now I'm considering just scrapping the engine entirely.

I'm putting the Barracuda up for sale next month. Hopefully it bring in enough to finish the body work on my Beetle. Covid times are bad times to sell sexy Mopars but that's out of my control. That will at least drop my car stable from five to four.

The 914 sits sad alone in the garage for yet another year. I need to find someone who can do engine work and fix the fifty leaks on the 1911 engine after it was "assembled" by a "professional." I just don't have it in me to keep hacking at it. Time to find a good mechanic! I don't want to sell the 914 but I may have to do just that. We'll see. Too early to know at this point. I'd rather hold on to it.

In the springtime I was super sick until mid-May. I'm much better now but have lots of bone pain and weakness. The thought of rolling around the garage floor juggling gearboxes no longer holds any allure for me so the sooner I purge my heavy car projects, the better. I'm happy to be vertical and in good spirits though. It's nice to report good health news for once, not that anyone asked.

So... any takers on a cheap Corvair engine project?

I wish I could. It is a piece of art at minimum.
sixnotfour
@slow914

Hi Marcus....this kid got a GF and now is a dreamer...DangIt
euro911
Awesome Motor, Marcus, but I already have two 911 motors, a 912 motor and a 914 motor taking up much needed space in my garage (in addition to many boxes of car parts yet to unpack). Recently sold my wife's '99 Beetle and planning to sell my '96 Tacoma, but that still leaves us with 8 other 4-wheeled vehicles sad.gif

Somebody out here needs to buy it though popcorn[1].gif
DarkMonohue
I have no money, no time, no space, and no spousal permission. But this is a rad engine and I have wanted a Corvair for thirty years. And I live a hundred miles from Marcus.

Someone please delete this thread before I embarrass myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.