Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F/S Tweet's Lock Re-Key / Repair / Restoration Services
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Pages: 1, 2, 3
tweet
A Couple of jobs that I did for some customers with a 911. The first is a glove box lock that the owner acquired and he wanted a key alike to his master key plus some spares made. And the second is a pair of late handles that needed a thorough cleaning, lube, seals replaced, and new keys made.
barrym
had my locks cleaned, repaired & rekeyed by tweet - excellent service with the best communications I've ever had from a seller - pics all the way through the process !
highly recommended
thanks !
Cairo94507
Dan has all of the locks for my Six. He is having the chrome parts re-chromed and then he is rekeying all of them to a brand new key that fits every lock. He has been outstanding to deal with on this project and has kept me informed of everything. Highly recommend his services.
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(tweet @ Feb 18 2014, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 18 2014, 11:08 AM) *

Nice, once I get some other stuff done, I'll take my locks off and send them as well. Probably won't be till summer.

Thanks for the props. Send them to me any time you are ready.

I can't say enough about the service these two provide. My locks were returned looking like shiny jewelry and are now several months into salt air beach-side working conditions and all operate flawlessly. It is worth the nominal cost to know my targa top will be in the trunk when we return from dinner and that the 5th matching alloy is safely secured in the front bay.

That nagging curious lump in my righthand pocket is also gone........ the lock cylinder that used to slide out with removal of the key!! All solved to our satisfaction and great communication along the way from a dedicated resource. You will not be disappointed.
mikesjunk
Giving Dan kudos on working on my Frankenstein ignition switch. Like many thing I found on the car what I had wasn't what belonged in the car. Dan did a great job getting it back to a more original switch and it works very well now. Dan and Alicia put together a nice little video showing some of the things wrong with my setup and then how the new setup worked. Thanks again, off to new projects!
Jett
Just sent a set of old and newparts to Dan.

Here are the before pictures:
Cairo94507
Dan and Alicia just completed the complete restoration of all of the locks on my Six. He also made me a brand new key as my original keep was worn to the point of looking like a rat's tail. All locks keyed to the one master and he made me a couple spares too.

This was a complicated process as they disassembled all of the locks and then sent the chrome work out to be done. I provided the chrome shop information for Dan & Alicia.

The chrome shop, somehow, screwed up and the chrome work had to be re-done on several pieces. Even then Dan & Alicia had to do some work to make all of the parts fit correctly.

They are awaiting the arrival of one ignition switch part and then everything gets shipped, completely assembled, to Scotty.

Thanks to Dan & Alicia for the wonderful care they took with my parts and their expertise.
tweet
Some before and after pictures of a member's trunk lock restoration. This member wanted to upgrade an eyesore on an otherwise stunning 914. But his lock had numerous issues, so we made one fully restored trunk lock from two.

tweet
These locks are from an eBay customer. He is restoring a 914 and wanted a fully restored matched set of handles and trunk lock. He also needed a new master key cut as he only had a valet key. The parts were in very poor shape; he just bought some random parts for the car. The trunk lock was a basket case, fully oxidized and completely inoperable.

Everything now fully functions and this was the feedback we received from him, "Just received the locks - OUTSTANDING restoration and attention to detail. I am beyond impressed!"
rgolia
I can testify to the outstanding service and quality of Tweets work. One of those examples is mine and I cannot wait to get it on the car this weekend. If you are going to Hersey you can check it out there. beerchug.gif
Catorse
The locks in post #59 are my locks! Dan did not solicit me for a plug but I am going to give him one anyways. This guy's attention to detail is ridiculous in a good way. When my locks were done, I even got a 5 minute long video explaining to me what had been done, what to look out for in the future, and other tips.

The locks are visually stunning. Way better than a repro, which I could have bought. The service itself is not cheap, but with 914 values climbing, and me doing a full resto, I wanted quality, not a cheap price.

If you need locks, this is your guy. Totally satisfied.
tweet
Finished up another full restoration. These will be going on a very high end build. Can't wait to see this 914 when its finished.
Cairo94507
Hey Tweet - (Dan) those look really familiar piratenanner.gif . Guys, Dan and his wife Alicia are just great people. They seriously put their heart and sole into their work and take a lot of pride in what they do. You can tell by looking at my locks that they are perfectionists smilie_pokal.gif . I was fortunate to find them and to have them handle my lock restoration. Thanks again and best wishes.
tweet
Thank you Michael for giving us the opportunity to participate in your restoration. We are proud to contribute to the continuing efforts of the forum members to keep these cars viable. Don't forget to post some pictures of your build when it's finished. I'm sure it will be spectacular! cheer.gif
-Alicia & Dan
Cairo94507
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Mike Fitton
Another happy customer here. Dan re-keyed my passenger side door handle, very nice work.

Click to view attachment
tweet
Hi Mike,
Your car makes "my handle" look great. Actually it's not my handle, just my work ya'll are seeing. Mike's car is awesome even without the handle. Mike sent in two handles and I used the best parts to make him one fully functioning one. Here are some before and after. This was a smaller job, but necessary. After all, you do need to get in the car to drive this beauty.

tweet
QUOTE(mikesjunk @ Mar 20 2016, 09:22 PM) *

Giving Dan kudos on working on my Frankenstein ignition switch. Like many thing I found on the car what I had wasn't what belonged in the car. Dan did a great job getting it back to a more original switch and it works very well now. Dan and Alicia put together a nice little video showing some of the things wrong with my setup and then how the new setup worked. Thanks again, off to new projects!

Thank you Mike for the feedback, we are always willing to help out. Just realized we never posted a picture of your job and the transplant we did to save the patient. You named this project appropriately. This ignition was certainly a Frankenstein's monster.
tweet
icon_bump.gif
Cairo94507
Tired of having different keys for every lock on your 914? Call Dan and Alicia. BTTT for some expert lock work. beerchug.gif
JmuRiz
It's on my list of to-dos....I can't wait to have a key that's not thin as a toothpick!
gereed75
QUOTE(tweet @ Dec 2 2016, 08:30 AM) *

icon_bump.gif

Dan, Do you cut keys also?? Thanks

And PM me shipping info. Will send a set of locks for rebuild. Thanks
tweet
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 2 2016, 09:07 AM) *

Tired of having different keys for every lock on your 914? Call Dan and Alicia. BTTT for some expert lock work. beerchug.gif

Hello Michael, thank you for the praise.
---Dan & Alicia
tweet
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 2 2016, 09:15 AM) *

It's on my list of to-dos....I can't wait to have a key that's not thin as a toothpick!

Don't wait too long, they are known to snap. At least get a duplicate made to have a spare.
biggrin.gif
tweet
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Dec 2 2016, 09:39 AM) *

QUOTE(tweet @ Dec 2 2016, 08:30 AM) *

icon_bump.gif

Dan, Do you cut keys also?? Thanks

And PM me shipping info. Will send a set of locks for rebuild. Thanks

Yes, we can duplicate your keys or originate new ones from NOS Porsche OEM keys we have. We are now also offering newly originated keys from key codes as well.
tweet
Okay, so this full restoration took a little longer than expected. Geez, the crazy chrome shop merry go round is excruciatingly frustrating. Anyway, we got it all done. This lock set was a challenge, but Dan and I like the challenge and the feeling of knowing that we can save irreplaceable oem parts from going to the scrap yard. We were also able to use the customer's bowed key to make two new duplicates. Believe me this is more difficult than it sounds. Not just because a bowed key throws off all of the cuts, but also because we strove to make the original bowed worn key and the new ones work all of the locks. Success!

Here some before and after pics.
forrestkhaag
Dan did my rekey to all locks and provided nice cut keys for all and valet. Could not be more pleased with Dan & teams work

Merry Christmas

beerchug.gif
tweet
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Dec 16 2016, 12:24 PM) *

Dan did my rekey to all locks and provided nice cut keys for all and valet. Could not be more pleased with Dan & teams work

Merry Christmas

beerchug.gif

Hello Forrest,
Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones. Thank you for the praise. It was a pleasure to contribute to your restoration. I love this picture. Although I can't see your awesome car, it's one of the best 914 pictures I've ever seen. You in your 914 actually driving it, putting it all out there on the open road, for the younger folk to see. You know, the ones that have never even heard of a 914, like our kids until we told them about our private obsessions. biggrin.gif
Wishing you many more happy miles,
Alicia & Dan
pete000
Can you match a blank key to an existing tumbler ?

My VW Vanagon glove box is missing its original key. I have a blank, but it needs to be matched and cut to the lock.

Haven't been able to find any one to do it locally.
tweet
Yes, we work on VW, but we don't promote it here because it is against forum rules. This forum is for Porsche only. So, to respect the wishes of the admins
I will pm you a reply.
tweet
This was a small but necessary job for a customer overseas from a while back. The gentleman purchased a 914. And of course as he started going through the car he started discovering all of wonderful little idiosyncrasies to be had. He received the car with two keys, both valet. Well, this is not going to work on secondary locks, but somehow the trunk lock would open but with great difficulty with the valet key. What? I suspect the valet tumblers were probably very worn and he said the lock was in poor shape overall. So, we recommended either a full restoration of his or, to save on two ways of shipping, to just build him a good used one keyed to work with his valet. His main concern was to save on costs overall and we made it work for him.

tweet
Another satisfied customer. This job included rechromed handles, full ignition rebuild, new oem and look-alike keys and all locks keyed alike. The customer bought a project car and of course it's a basket case. So, he's chipping away at it one part at a time.

tweet
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 16 2016, 06:43 PM) *

My VW Vanagon glove box is missing its original key. I have a blank, but it needs to be matched and cut to the lock.

Done and Done! Cleaned, lubed and two working keys.
pete000
QUOTE(tweet @ Jan 6 2017, 05:24 AM) *

Done and Done!

Works perfectly !

Thanks Dan !

first.gif
tweet
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jan 8 2017, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(tweet @ Jan 6 2017, 05:24 AM) *

Done and Done!

Works perfectly !

Thanks Dan !

first.gif

Hello Pete,
Always glad to help! Thank you for your business.

piratenanner.gif
tweet
Okay, so this is what you get when, someone that doesn't know what they are doing with vintage locks, attempts to make a key. The "fubar'd" key was actually made by hand. This is not the first time we see things like this coming from "locksmiths".
The key on the left is what the customer sent us.

The one on the right is is the new one we originated, based on his tumbler sequence after we decoded his lock.

This the feedback we received from him," The keys and locks arrived. All work perfectly. Many thanks! It is great to still be able to find a craftsman."

mb911
I have a 911 ignition without a key.. Could you key that for me?
tweet
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 15 2017, 12:11 PM) *

I have a 911 ignition without a key.. Could you key that for me?

Hello, Ben,
Yes, we can either originate a key when keys have been lost. This option is best if all of the locks on the car are still keyed alike and you want one key for all of the locks. However, if that is not important, then a rekey is a more cost effective option.
PM me the details of your preference, and we can give you pricing, key options, and shipping details.

Dan & Alicia
tweet
This 70-71 ignition was rekeyed and repaired for a forum member. It had a lot of wear issues and would not operate properly. The cam was also damaged. We were able to effect the necessary repairs, make the customer a spare key, and now it's good to go.

tweet
This job was for a repeat customer. He has a new project 911 and wanted to add some Outlaw handles. We also made a rebuilt ignition with brand new Porsche OEM masters.
He didn't have an ignition nor donor handles so we sourced all the necessary parts and built this awesome keyed alike set.

tweet
This was a repair for a common failure of the 911 ignition. many owners discard their ignition assemblies when this happens, not aware that many times the unit can be repaired instead of replaced to the tune of $950 list; OUCH!

The lock cylinder was falling out every time the key was retracted. This is also seen in the 914-4 1970-71 style ignition. Those can be repaired as well.

The ignition also had a lot of wear so we changed out several tumblers and springs and adjusted them to keep this unit working for as long as possible to save him money down the road.

tweet
Here is an example of why duplicating worn or irregular keys is a bad idea. If you want to throw your money away and ruin some good expensive blanks, duplicating poor condition keys is the fastest way to lose your time and money.

This customer wanted two valet keys made from his original. We advised against it because it was not going to help him with his various lock issues. Even after servicing his lock cylinder the tumblers were still out of alignment. You will note various tumblers above the shear line with his original key(black master).

And after, with his new valet keys. The lock was decoded and a new key originated from code. None of the tumblers were adjusted (shaved). These are his original used tumblers and the keys came out perfect.

tweet
Another job complete for a 914World member. Here we refurbished and rebuilt the lock set, rechromed the trunk lock and made four new Porsche-DOM keys. It was a fun job and a pleasure collaborating with the member on his 914's locks.

smile.gif

mepstein
Dan - I know you are probably waiting on parts from me. I'll get them in the mail shortly. Thanks, mark
tweet
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 7 2017, 09:29 PM) *

Dan - I know you are probably waiting on parts from me. I'll get them in the mail shortly. Thanks, mark

Hi Mark,
Okay, whenever you are ready.
-Dan
tweet
All posts/messages replied to.
11tenths
Hi Dan-
I have a 73 914-6 2.7conv that I've had off the road for 4yrs to "just do a little engine detailing". When I bought the car it had only one key that just worked the ign, nothing else. Of course I put the key in a very safe place... a VERY safe place.

So now, I'd like to find out what it would cost me to have a key made to work my trunk lock (and thereby also, hopefully, the doors, hood, and glovebox) and then to re-key my ign lock to fit that new key. Maybe make that a couple keys...

I have the two locks out and ready to send.

Thanks - Harry

tweet
QUOTE(11tenths @ Jun 23 2017, 05:12 PM) *

Hi Dan-
I have a 73 914-6 2.7conv that I've had off the road for 4yrs to "just do a little engine detailing". When I bought the car it had only one key that just worked the ign, nothing else. Of course I put the key in a very safe place... a VERY safe place.

So now, I'd like to find out what it would cost me to have a key made to work my trunk lock (and thereby also, hopefully, the doors, hood, and glovebox) and then to re-key my ign lock to fit that new key. Maybe make that a couple keys...

I have the two locks out and ready to send.

Thanks - Harry

Hello Harry,
The best way to approach this is to physically verify that all of the locks are keyed alike before making keys, even if you don't have a working key for the rest of the locks. These are old cars and many times the locks have been changed out/swapped in the past. Question is how many locks were changed out? The only way to confirm this is for you to send in your lock set. Then after we know which ones are mismatched, we move forward to making keys, rekeying or both to get you a matched, keyed set. Making keys before knowing which locks are mismatched is putting the cart before the horse and can backfire on you. It will save you time, money and frustration to verify before making keys. If you would like to send them in, send me a pm and I will send you further shipping instructions.
Regards,
dan
tweet
Here we have another great lock set for a another great customer. These were not restored but they were rebuilt, fully serviced and new keys cut to code. The t-handle was refinished as well. The locks suffered from heavy oxidation, were mismatched parts cobbled together and a prior owner had removed the valet tumblers. Everything was put back to factory spec and now the customer has a reliable matched set.

cal914
How much for full lock refurb plus door handels rechromed
Thanks B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.