Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pedal Cluster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
green914
Sunday afternoon's autocross ended with what I thought was a broken accelerator cable, confused24.gif but it turned out to be the bushings in the pedal cluster. I guess the loss of the bushing WTF.gif caused a misalignment of the pedal and linkage, so when I went to step on it - it bent this connecting rod. idea.gif I am looking to find some instructions for a DIY overhaul of the pedal cluster.
green914
This is the gas pedal with the connecting rod.
Elliot Cannon
See Bruce Stone. bdstone.
76-914
You won't need any instructions. It's obvious once you have it on the table. DIY; it's quick, easy and fun.
Chris H.
The Pelican Parts article is excellent.

Pedal Cluster Rebuild

Eric_Shea
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=32578

Right here under thy nose...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 30 2013, 11:03 AM) *

The weak point in your nice writeup is the part about the removal of the clutch pedal from the shaft. Over the 40 years I've been doing this job, only a few have actually pressed right off. Hammers, heat, air tools, drifts, and high end penetrants are commonly needed, and that's AFTER you've spent a lot of time getting the roll pin out. Using a drift or punch as shown ion the picture can, and frequently does, mushroom the shaft, making removal even harder. I recommend heat right from the get-go.

BTW, I'd replace the gas pedal while I was in there, because a floppy pedal is most often the reason the rod fails.

The Cap'n
Drums66
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 30 2013, 10:27 AM) *

You won't need any instructions. It's obvious once you have it on the table. DIY; it's quick, easy and fun.

.....Ya, it's pretty much straight forward idea.gif
idea.gif popcorn[1].gif(& there are kit's!)
euro911
Removing the roll pin is the easy part. Getting the clutch arm off ... well, that's whole 'nother story dry.gif
Eric_Shea
The weak point in your nice writeup is the part about the removal of the clutch pedal from the shaft. Over the 40 years I've been doing this job, only a few have actually pressed right off. Hammers, heat, air tools, drifts, and high end penetrants are commonly needed, and that's AFTER you've spent a lot of time getting the roll pin out.

My "never fail" trick was a pointed bit in an air hammer. Worked every single time to get it started. Then a suitable drift finishes it off but... Mark is correct; Getting the clutch arm off ... well, that's whole 'nother story
green914
Thanks for all the info biggrin.gif I have been playing with a pedal cluster that I removed from one of my rollers; I got the roll pin out smash.gif fairly easy, but the clutch pedal seems to be frozen in place. headbang.gif It will have to let it soak in penetrating oil for a week confused24.gif maybe longer, and then try it again.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(green914 @ Jul 30 2013, 03:48 PM) *

Thanks for all the info biggrin.gif I have been playing with a pedal cluster that I removed from one of my rollers; I got the roll pin out smash.gif fairly easy, but the clutch pedal seems to be frozen in place. headbang.gif It will have to let it soak in penetrating oil for a week confused24.gif maybe longer, and then try it again.

....and as the good Cap'n said, START with heat. If you screw it up because you didn't throw everything at it that you could, you'll be sorry later. smile.gif BTDT
euro911
Make sure to work in a well ventilated area if you apply a torch after any solvent has been used (especially brake cleaner) ... inhaling the vaporized fumes can kill you sad.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 30 2013, 05:21 PM) *

Make sure to work in a well ventilated area if you apply a torch after any solvent has been used (especially brake cleaner) ... inhaling the vaporized fumes can kill you sad.gif

agree.gif That's also why I NEVER buy chlorinated brake cleaner. I read a bad story about a guy who welded something that had been soaked in the chlorinated kind. Really screwed him up.
green914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 30 2013, 02:21 PM) *

I have been using an electric-heat-gun, so far I have managed to melt the nylon bushings from both ends of the shaft. blink.gif huh.gif wacko.gif the smoke from the penetrating oil and bushings was quite nasty; I had the garage door in the full up position, window open,, and a fan blasting the work area. headbang.gif still have not moved the clutch pedal.
shuie
Here's the easiest way to do it:

Step 1.) Put in box
Step 2.) Send to fellow forum member bdstone914
green914
idea.gif I was thinking maybe a puller of some type might get the pedal off; there is plenty of room for a couple of claws to grab the clutch pedal's lower edge. idea.gif Hmmm...
Cap'n Krusty
I said "heat", not "high performance hair dryer". A propane torch is the minimum leveh heat source, a MAPP torch would be better. IME, soaking doesn't make it any easier.

The Cap'n
reharvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 30 2013, 06:14 PM) *

I said "heat", not "high performance hair dryer". A propane torch is the minimum leveh heat source, a MAPP torch would be better. IME, soaking doesn't make it any easier.

The Cap'n

agree.gif HEAT as in red hot! It'll come right off.
green914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 30 2013, 03:14 PM) *

The Cap'n

QUOTE(reharvey @ Jul 30 2013, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 30 2013, 06:14 PM) *

The Cap'n

agree.gif HEAT as in red hot! It'll come right off.

Big Thanks to the Cap,n and reharvey for being so good at explaining what was needed welder.gif extreme heat as in happy11.gif red hot did the trick. Looks like the rest should go smoothly. Thanks to those who sent in the links to instructions. smile.gif biggrin.gif bye1.gif
euro911
I need to disassemble and restore a spare pedal cluster as well. I will be performing some domestic plumbing alterations in our front flower bed this week, so since I'll have the MAP Gas torch in hand blowtorch.gif ...

idea.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.