Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axles shortened in subi swap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mwood
Hey, Im getting ready to send my cv axles to be machined for subaru cv joint doj's on the trans side.
Has anyone else done a subi swap and retained the 5mt subaru trans and needed to shorten their axles, or used hybride axles that they knew were shorter?

Would love not to have to ship them out twice.

Thanks

Also..
What happened to the guy selling swap parts as Coldwater914? Is he still around? I was going to order a couple of his products.. Ill do a search

Mitch
jimkelly
several have

and I think they used Dutchman

http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/services

pls keep us posted

ian at coldwater is trying to put together a group buy of sorts but this may be a while. see post #180

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6674&st=100

do a search here for "dutchman" and you should find some related threads.

seems bigkat was going to 5 lug hubs/stub axles, so he had 911 axle machined. I do not know if 914 axle is thick enough?? it is long enough, but you may need to get a 911 axle machined on both ends if you want to remain 4 lug??
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=dutchman

Mwood
I should have mentioned im running 5 lug rear with 911 axles, should be thick enough. I sent that user a message about it, havent heard so i was gonna ask here. I think dutchman was the company i talked to about getting it done.

Thanks
BIGKAT_83
Both 911 and 914 axles can be used. I've had both done.

Bob
sawtooth
I used 914 axles with a 5 lug conversion and had Dutchman do the machine work. See 3rd photo down for the complete assembly in this post.

And here's the specs I used for Dutchman's to re-spline. You'll definitely want to take your own measurements, but they should be close to what I came up with.

Or just buy a pair of sway away axles from Ian at ColdWater

Click to view attachment
jimkelly
I don't know how strong suby cv's are but 914 cv's are certainly a weak point.

seems going 5 lug, with 944 cvs and 914 axles, is most cost efficient?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80641
Mwood
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Sep 5 2013, 09:15 AM) *

I used 914 axles with a 5 lug conversion and had Dutchman do the machine work. See 3rd photo down for the complete assembly in this post.

And here's the specs I used for Dutchman's to re-spline. You'll definitely want to take your own measurements, but they should be close to what I came up with.

Or just buy a pair of sway away axles from Ian at ColdWater

Click to view attachment

I cant find any ordering or contact info on the coldwater site. I was going to get one of his spline couplers.. I dont want to order one from australia,
Anybody know how to get ahold of that guy to order parts?
Im sure im missing something obvious

Also thanks for those notes, when i called dutchman they just asked me to send the 911 axles with inner cv removed and the subaru axle and remove doj, they didnt ask for those measurements..
Mwood
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Sep 5 2013, 08:46 AM) *

Bob

Did you have to take any length off of the axles as well as resplining them?
Thanks
sawtooth
QUOTE(Mwood @ Sep 5 2013, 10:57 AM) *

Bob

Thanks

Bob may have a different length but on my 914 axles I shortened them to 18" which seemed to work well.

Also if Ian doesn't have anymore spline couplers, Bob posted this a while back about the Kent Moore tools #498427100 locking sleeve, could be a great solution.
76-914
That's probably the way to go. I've sent him a couple of pm/emails re: the coupler and have yet to receive a response. That's usually a caution flag for me. shades.gif
Mwood
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 5 2013, 10:40 AM) *

That's probably the way to go. I've sent him a couple of pm/emails re: the coupler and have yet to receive a response. That's usually a caution flag for me. shades.gif

Yeah hasnt responded to anything Ive sent.. Ill try the Kent Moore. If it breaks ill let people know on here.
jimkelly
that bob is one resourceful individual !!!

jim

--

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Sep 5 2013, 10:00 AM) *

Bob

Thanks

Bob may have a different length but on my 914 axles I shortened them to 18" which seemed to work well.

Also if Ian doesn't have anymore spline couplers, Bob posted this a while back about the Kent Moore tools #498427100 locking sleeve, could be a great solution.

IM101
Hey guys,
Sorry I have been off the radar as of late, I am back and will be much more responsive. my number is 503-720-2981 email is ian@coldwater914.com. Thank you for alerting me to the fact that i did not have any contact info on the site, the site went live right in the thick of things before the wedding and i wasn't able to give it a good going over.
Mwood, I believe I have responded to all of my pm's and emails if you did not get anything back from me please feel free to give me a call.
-Ian
Mwood
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 6 2013, 03:30 AM) *

that bob is one resourceful individual !!!

jim

--

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Sep 5 2013, 10:00 AM) *

Bob

Thanks

Bob is my hero

And Ian, no worries, life happens, thanks for your email.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.