Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
76-914
poke.gif Damn Ron, you gonna let that "relay comment" slide. I remember when you were good for a couple of paragraphs on that one. Elyut, if you're a CSOB pm me. I've got a set of engine rubber seals 1 yr old, I won't be needing.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 27 2013, 12:31 PM) *

You two should get a room.

Can I pick on you now about the RTV under the head washers?

and

The "T" in the brake line? poke.gif av-943.gif

You can pick on me about the RTV under the head washers because they were done by FAT Performance. I put the "T" in the brake line. What the hell is wrong with that. confused24.gif You can pick on me any time because I know how much you love me. av-943.gif Besides, I think you might know a little more about this car than I do. sunglasses.gif
Elliot Cannon
Mid-rise lift makes a good work bench.
Elliot Cannon
I hope I remember how all this shit goes back together? idea.gif
Elliot Cannon
Both the rocker arm assemblies are totally clean. I thought there would be more gunk in there. WTF.gif You know, besides all that orange shit. lol-2.gif
SLITS
When you pull the rocker assemblies get 8 each 5/16 bolts about 3" long. As you start to pull the rocker assemblies off the studs, push the bolts thru the stud holes. This will keep the rocker assemblies assembled and you merely slide the assemblies over the studs which will push the bolts out. Saves a bunch of time reassembling the rocker assemblies if you let them fall apart.

Before you pull the heads make sure you get the cheese head screws out of the block that holds the warm air guide under the cylinders. Heads won't come off otherwise.

but I know you know all of this.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 27 2013, 07:54 PM) *

When you pull the rocker assemblies get 8 each 5/16 bolts about 3" long. As you start to pull the rocker assemblies off the studs, push the bolts thru the stud holes. This will keep the rocker assemblies assembled and you merely slide the assemblies over the studs which will push the bolts out. Saves a bunch of time reassembling the rocker assemblies if you let them fall apart.

Before you pull the heads make sure you get the cheese head screws out of the block that holds the warm air guide under the cylinders. Heads won't come off otherwise.

but I know you know all of this.

Thanks Ron. I haven't done this in about 8 years. Considering the fact that I can't remember what I had for lunch today, your advice comes at the right time.
Eric_Shea
So now what else should I do "while I'm in there"?

Paint the rest of it yellow...
euro911
I hope you tagged your push rods, and if you pull(ed) the lifters, you tag(ged) them as well sad.gif ... so they go back in where they originally came from shades.gif

I'm pretty sure that Rob was referring to YOU about driving your 914 more than anyone else he knows. There's a lot of folks that have never seen me drive one, and probably think I only own a couple of Toyota trucks laugh.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 28 2013, 01:50 AM) *

I hope you tagged your push rods, and if you pull(ed) the lifters, you tag(ged) them as well sad.gif ... so they go back in where they originally came from shades.gif

I'm pretty sure that Rob was referring to YOU about driving your 914 more than anyone else he knows. There's a lot of folks that have never seen me drive one, and probably think I only own a couple of Toyota trucks laugh.gif

I saw you drive one once ... poorly, but you drove it. poke.gif

And Elleyot, grouphug.gif even though you're a Vegan icon8.gif

"My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light.
Eric_Shea
My candle burns at both ends

So we've heard... dry.gif
euro911
... and it's a blue flame, or so I've heard laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

They call me mellow yellow ...

Click to view attachment
NORD

Elliot; Make sure when you disasemble that you use a vac to get all that silicone out of that engine. Mine was sealed like that when I broke it down and as careful as I was to get it all, The first oil change after 20 minutes of running there was some silicone at the strainer. I'm sure it was from the pushrod tubes that were sealed like yours at the block.

Thinking about it, my motor only had 39,000 when it failed. Maybe the silicone shortens the motor life. It did not drip any oil though. Get it running. driving.gif
SLITS
That is the problem with using RTV in areas where shards can break off and get into the oil. Being semi soft, they can pass thru the strainer and potentially plug an oil feed to a bearing.

If you're going to use it, apply tighten what ever and wipe clean what squeezes out when installing whatever and use a very small amount to begin with.

I used to use toilet paper to clean bearings prior to install because it doesn't leave lint. Lost an engine due to a small piece of asswipe plugging a rod bearing feed.
Elliot Cannon
I finally got the head off. These are cylinders two and one respectively. Does it look like cyl. two has been burning some Mobil 1? Number one is much better although it shows it's been running a little rich maybe? I really don't have the experience to tell. I'm pretty sure about number two though. lol-2.gif
Elliot Cannon
The cylinder walls look pretty good to me. I can't see any scoring. Both one and two look great. smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
I pulled out one of the ceramic valve lifters. After 25,000 miles they look just like they did when I installed them about 8 years ago. Thanks Clayton, (where ever you are).
Elliot Cannon
I'll be pulling the other head off soon and figure out where to take them to be worked on. I still can't see how oil got into the combustion chamber although I think the valve guides are a good bet to this amateur. laugh.gif I don't have a spring compressor to remove the valves. I'll let someone else do that. dry.gif While the heads are being done, I guess about a case of carb. cleaner might get a lot of the gunk off. Maybe get some stuff powder coated so it looks clean at least for awhile. av-943.gif
StratPlayer
Elliot are those 94 or 96mm pistons?
SLITS
Not much wear .... you can still see the cross hatching on the cylinder walls. Looks good to go to me.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Sep 30 2013, 05:59 PM) *

Elliot are those 94 or 96mm pistons?

96 pistons and 76 crank.
r_towle
Can you see the valve guide on the vale in question from the top?
Inside the spring?

Elliot Cannon
It has dual springs and I can't see anything.
72hardtop
Whoever used RTV needs to be tarred and feathered in public. If you use anything on the push-rod tubes only use 'Thread sealant'. It does not cure like RTV and won't plug anything up.

As for the case/cylinder mating surfaces Curil K2
stugray
popcorn[1].gif
72hardtop
What P/C set was used? Any idea?

The following should suite you well:

http://aapistons.com/shop/vw-piston-and-cy...914-type-4.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.