Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fender flares...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mgp4591
QUOTE(szuccaro @ Jan 17 2014, 12:10 AM) *

The white color makes it hard to see if they're GT flares or just pulled fenders. My car will be a flat ivory (so far) and may hide some not so perfect body work. All of these suggestions are very welcome and there's alot of great work and personal style out there! Thanks!
effutuo101
Teeners are like jello. Always room for more.
Get two. Do one narrow and one wide!
ClayPerrine
They are more like Lays potato chips.

No one can have just one.

sixnotfour
Chex Party Mix
mgp4591
My problem is I'm garagecally challenged- not even one, but I've got most of the parts , knowledge and tools to do it. I'll be narrow bodied initially but looking at all the options. There may be a Chex mix in my future! rolleyes.gif
effutuo101
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 17 2014, 06:22 PM) *

Chex Party Mix

In green! wub.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 22 2013, 10:40 AM) *

Rabbit flares ...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Did this car ever get finished and if so...pictures of it?
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 28 2015, 01:52 PM) *

Rabbit flares ...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Not the same car but just saw this in the "porsche 914" group on facebook today. Owner says they are 911SC rear flares on all four corners.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Dec 28 2015, 11:57 AM) *

Rabbit flares ...

Not the same car but just saw this in the "porsche 914" group on facebook today. Owner says they are 911SC rear flares on all four corners.

Click to view attachment

I like that one!
Newlap
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 28 2015, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Dec 28 2015, 11:57 AM) *

Rabbit flares ...

Click to view attachment

I like that one!

Thanks, that's my car smile.gif Here is another pic from a different angle:Click to view attachment
Cracker
I'd be the last guy to tell people what they should/shouldn't do with their 914...that said, the original "GT" flares just fit the car. That might simply be due to what I expect a hot-rodded teener to look like. No right or wrong answer...

Tony

Click to view attachment
burton73
The last posting was 20 months ago. Seeing if anyone has anything to ad to this. I want to run 8 inch 951 Fuchs on the rear of my V8 car because I think I will need more traction than a 7inch 911 Fuchs and smaller tire can me. Even with LSD I think the tires will spin with 400 FPT.

I do not think I want GT flares on this car. Just Flares on the back. Thinking of Carrera or SC flares on back. This is the turquoise (Olympic Blue) car in my Avatar shown with 7 Inch Fuchs front and rear with small tires on it.

Bob B

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
HalfMoon
QUOTE(burton73 @ Aug 16 2017, 11:48 PM) *

The last posting was 20 months ago. Seeing if anyone has anything to ad to this. I want to run 8 inch 951 Fuchs on the rear of my V8 car because I think I will need more traction than a 7inch 911 Fuchs and smaller tire can me. Even with LSD I think the tires will spin with 400 FPT.

I do not think I want GT flares on this car. Just Flares on the back. Thinking of Carrera or SC flares on back. This is the turquoise (Olympic Blue) car in my Avatar shown with 7 Inch Fuchs front and rear with small tires on it.

Bob B

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

I'm a sbc and I use one of Sheridan's standard widebody's, but my next build will use Rogers widest wide-body.
See image
Click to view attachment
markhoward
Here's whats on my 76. Definitely a hand job..
Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Was told these are sc flares... I've always liked this car... wish I would have bought when it was for sale...

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
markhoward
Those SC flares look great! Wonder if I can get my oddball ones to look more like that with the help of a fender roller..
Chris914n6
Can't find the drawing I did years ago but this rendering sorta gets it. Basically the GT flares with the 'bulge' tapered like 911s.

Click to view attachment
mgp4591
I like the look of the "hand job"- it retains the original lines of the fender with the lip which is what I'm planning to do. Since this original post, I've moved and have a 3 car garage with my car on a rotisserie, replacing virtually everything underneath the car including the rotted out floor and all of the suspension components. I've got my wheels and tires chosen, mounted, and have 944 turbo brake calipers all around. I was in a bad accident a couple of years ago not long after moving into my new place and it put me down for about a year and the rehab continues but so does the work on the car. I hope to have more updates as the work continues - keep the pictures and ideas coming!
burton73
So I made some observations on the 914-body shape and putting on flares or say cutting the factory body and moving it out 1 inch or so. This is what I think Jeff did on posting #21. The bottom of the wheel well goes at a natural taper that way so it seems like this was what done. I put a mixing stick on the bottom and that is the line if you hold the contour.

So I think you cut the line that I show on the picture of Jeff’s car that I marked with pen and then cut some steel to fill it in. I think I will add a piece in the center 1 to 2 inches to
Bow it out, as that is the place where the tires rub on a non-flared car.

You can see the shape of the 914 wheel well and it is longer looking than a 911.
Picture of SC Flare from Peter at Restoration Design.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
Well I'll jump in here and show you what your car would look like with the Tangerine flares on. It sounds like what you're trying to do anyway.

I have 7s and 8s x16 w/ 225 50 16 on the back.

First without the bumpers on show how wide they are, from other angles you can hardly tell.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

These flares are 1" in the front and around 2 1/2" in the rear.

Now the flares on the truck are stock. shades.gif
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 17 2017, 03:34 PM) *

Can't find the drawing I did years ago but this rendering sorta gets it. Basically the GT flares with the 'bulge' tapered like 911s.

Click to view attachment

I hope one day to build a 914 that looks like that.
burton73
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Aug 17 2017, 05:00 PM) *

Well I'll jump in here and show you what your car would look like with the Tangerine flares on. It sounds like what you're trying to do anyway.

I have 7s and 8s x16 w/ 225 50 16 on the back.

First without the bumpers on show how wide they are, from other angles you can hardly tell.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

These flares are 1" in the front and around 2 1/2" in the rear.

Now the flares on the truck are stock. shades.gif

Now that is a super sweet look. You did a great job on your car.

Bob B
914werke
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jan 16 2014, 05:55 PM) *

i like mine...

Holy crap thats Purty! Get that on the road chair.gif
seanpaulmc
I like the look of the flares on this one. Don't know who's it is just saw the photo one day and kept it for inspiration.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
You just can't argue with the factory type flares....

Click to view attachment
nine11speedster
Slightly off topic,

does anyone know if there are FiberGlass fenders (front and rear) that is the original size out there?

I m trying to make a stock looking 914 that is ultra lightweight.
mgp4591
I like the look of Chris's flares but I'm going for more the 70 Camaro IMSA look... the wheelwell openings are contoured similar to a 914 but the angle has been blown out to fit the tires. A very hotrod kinda look. Hard to explain unless you've seen one.Click to view attachment
AZBanks
I'm not a fan of just flaring the rear. Flared rear without a least a little flare in the front looks unbalanced IMHO.
sixnotfour
you know.....
Mueller
More subtle flares to fit 16x8s with 225s

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mgp4591
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Aug 18 2017, 11:11 AM) *

I'm not a fan of just flaring the rear. Flared rear without a least a little flare in the front looks unbalanced IMHO.

I'm flaring fronts and rears - the Camaro has the fronts flared too but the rears are HUGE and it does look unbalanced. My rears won't be nearly that big!
mgp4591
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 18 2017, 12:26 PM) *

you know.....

Still wish I'd bought that car! drooley.gif shades.gif
campbellcj
Tangerine Racing with 8's and 9's - I like them much better than GT-style and they're German metal. For a real widebody aero car I would most likely go full Sheridan kit.

IPB Image914 "R" rounding Cotton Corners at Buttonwillow by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

IPB ImageIMG_5892.jpg by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

IPB Image914R "secret weapon" ready to deploy by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

IPB Image914R by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

914forme
agree.gif wub.gif drooley.gif

That is what is going on my car also. EG33 car, not the 914-6 it will remain a narrow body.
Chris914n6
Drew my flare idea up real quick that didn't really capture it, then realized I had a model and clay and missing tools first.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
9144me2enjoy
The Blue with checkered flag 914 above that was listed by Seanpaulmc use to belong to me back around 2009. I purchased the car on Ebay, the flares were from a 911SC. I loved the looks of it. I sold it to someone back East I believe, I tried tracking the car down without any luck. I couldn’t find the VIN to go through DMV. Anyhow someone did a great job with the metal work on the flares. I’ve found after checking around in my area with a few metal shops that it can get very expensive to add steel flares these days in just the labor alone! Ouch
AZBanks
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 24 2018, 08:00 PM) *

The Blue with checkered flag 914 above that was listed by Seanpaulmc use to belong to me back around 2009. I purchased the car on Ebay, the flares were from a 911SC. I loved the looks of it. I sold it to someone back East I believe, I tried tracking the car down without any luck. I couldn’t find the VIN to go through DMV. Anyhow someone did a great job with the metal work on the flares. I’ve found after checking around in my area with a few metal shops that it can get very expensive to add steel flares these days in just the labor alone! Ouch

That car was recently for sale in Flagstaff Arizona.
9144me2enjoy
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Aug 24 2018, 11:58 PM) *

On Craigslist?
AZBanks
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 25 2018, 04:49 PM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Aug 24 2018, 11:58 PM) *

On Craigslist?

Yes, 3 to 6 months ago.
Gmanscott55
Click to view attachment
1stworks
Not my car or pictures but really like these...

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.