Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paul Walker of Fast and Furious dead today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
andys
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 12 2013, 02:29 PM) *

Guy on a brand new Ducati hit one crossing the center line and crashed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNfFLuUC1QA

That looks a lot like Mulholland Hwy. There's a hairpin turn famous for crashed motorcycles, if that indeed is it? If you walk the outsdie of that turn, you'll find all sorts of broken pieces of plastic bodywork, mirrors, etc. in the dirt.

Andys
914_teener
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 12 2013, 02:40 PM) *

Bott's Dots are raised reflective disks that are glued to the freeway intending to give an audible and tactile warning to California drivers when they drift out of their lanes. This is what allows California drivers to text, eat, put on make-up, and read the paper while driving. av-943.gif
They are extremely annoying for sports cars with stiff suspensions. So much so that someday I plan on finding the grave of Bott, the traffic engineer who inventing them and pissing on it! mad.gif

That's right.......blame it on the engineer....and then California

I resemble that remark. laugh.gif

Elliot Cannon
Two men just died recently. One is a young actor who dies in a car crash that probably shouldn't have happened. The other changed the course of an entire country. Which one is noticed with 8 pages on this site? Maybe if the other one had died in a Porsche?? confused24.gif biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 12 2013, 02:40 PM) *

Bott's Dots are raised reflective disks that are glued to the freeway intending to give an audible and tactile warning to California drivers when they drift out of their lanes. This is what allows California drivers to text, eat, put on make-up, and read the paper while driving. av-943.gif
They are extremely annoying for sports cars with stiff suspensions. So much so that someday I plan on finding the grave of Bott, the traffic engineer who inventing them and pissing on it! mad.gif

Yet another reason to leave and stay away from this state. Do not even THINK of moving here. Even the freeways are treacherous. biggrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 12 2013, 07:58 PM) *

Two men just died recently. One is a young actor who dies in a car crash that probably shouldn't have happened. The other changed the course of an entire country. Which one is noticed with 8 pages on this site? Maybe if the other one had died in a Porsche?? confused24.gif biggrin.gif

Well, Paul was fun to watch in movies, but I would not agree that his body of work changed an entire country....that may be a bit of a stretch.

So, oh retired dude,
Did you go check out the site for a hose?
Lou W
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 12 2013, 06:58 PM) *

You aren't allowed to talk about politics Elliot, if we did, he'd have a lot more than 8 pages......

popcorn[1].gif
Lou W
QUOTE(andys @ Dec 12 2013, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 12 2013, 02:29 PM) *

Guy on a brand new Ducati hit one crossing the center line and crashed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNfFLuUC1QA

That looks a lot like Mulholland Hwy. There's a hairpin turn famous for crashed motorcycles, if that indeed is it? If you walk the outsdie of that turn, you'll find all sorts of broken pieces of plastic bodywork, mirrors, etc. in the dirt.

Andys

The "Snake"
oldschool
On Sunday I was working on top of the roof of a 20 story Building in downtown LA
When I saw the 2 airplanes with banners that said goodbye to Pual.Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 6 2013, 04:39 PM) *

" we " all jabber on about what may or may not have happened here. About how old his girlfriend may or may not be. How great of a person he was / vs. what an irresponsible dolt he was that day. this whole event has been nothing but guessing, back seat investigating and hyperbole. Go work on yer friggin cars dry.gif

Scotty I miss your old avatar biggrin.gif

agree.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 12 2013, 04:58 PM) *

Well... Technically, he was serving a life sentence for trying to violently overthrow his own country. He never would have gotten out of prison if his country wasn't already changing. True, he did pick up the reigns and oversee his countries climb out of apartheid, but he wasn't the saint he is being held up to be anymore than Paul Walker is the greatest actor that ever lived. He came out of prison confused. He thought that the world hadn't changed in the decades he was in prison. Understandable considering the isolation he suffered in prison. He came out railing against colonialism. Colonialism that no longer existed. His greatest accomplishment was overcoming his own anger for the sake of his country and inspiring others not to take revenge.
Paul Walker is getting the attention here because he was a car guy who made car movies and died in a Porsche. Mandela doesn't have that relevance here...
bigkensteele
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 12 2013, 07:28 PM) *

Well... Technically, he was serving a life sentence for trying to violently overthrow his own country. He never would have gotten out of prison if his country wasn't already changing. True, he did pick up the reigns and oversee his countries climb out of apartheid, but he wasn't the saint he is being held up to be anymore than Paul Walker is the greatest actor that ever lived. He came out of prison confused. He thought that the world hadn't changed in the decades he was in prison. Understandable considering the isolation he suffered in prison. He came out railing against colonialism. Colonialism that no longer existed. His greatest accomplishment was overcoming his own anger for the sake of his country and inspiring others not to take revenge.
Paul Walker is getting the attention here because he was a car guy who made car movies and died in a Porsche. Mandela doesn't have that relevance here...

Things that Paul Walker probably never said
sixnotfour
agree.gif well put Rob..
scotty b
Paul Walker is getting the attention because he was an actor. Plain and simple. This country/society doesn't give a rats ass about his cars, his charity etc. He was " famous " and that's all that matters. We ( as a society ) are obsessed with " fame and fortune " we ( as a society ) hold those with " stuff " to a higher power. Those with " power " to an even higher power. Rather then get out and make something of ourselves, we prefer to sit and live vicariously through others more glamorous lifestyles. Think I'm Krusty ? Fine, but stop and look at pop culture. Watch that abomination of a show TMZ. Watch damn near anything on TDC, TLC, History channel et all. How many of you knew WTF a Kardashian was before that pile of vomit of a show came on your t.v. set ? It's garbage. We fall for this mind numbing shit Hollywierd throws at us to avoid our NORMAL lives that society has deemed less than so. A decade ago couples stayed married, families helped one another out, people were living at home in their 30's, learning skilled trades. they didn't get married ( for the most part ) and having kids until they were in their 30's. They had experienced life before they tried to create thier own., the media didn't dictate what was cool. PROgression or DEgression is up to you. Apparently while these two playboys died in a high speed fiery car crash, the rest of the world stopped. No one else died, no one else was molested, no one else was murdered, no one else suffered at all. Perhaps they are true martyrs ...........
r_towle
Wow
ConeDodger
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 12 2013, 08:07 PM) *

Paul Walker is getting the attention because he was an actor. Plain and simple. This country/society doesn't give a rats ass about his cars, his charity etc. He was " famous " and that's all that matters. We ( as a society ) are obsessed with " fame and fortune " we ( as a society ) hold those with " stuff " to a higher power. Those with " power " to an even higher power. Rather then get out and make something of ourselves, we prefer to sit and live vicariously through others more glamorous lifestyles. Think I'm Krusty ? Fine, but stop and look at pop culture. Watch that abomination of a show TMZ. Watch damn near anything on TDC, TLC, History channel et all. How many of you knew WTF a Kardashian was before that pile of vomit of a show came on your t.v. set ? It's garbage. We fall for this mind numbing shit Hollywierd throws at us to avoid our NORMAL lives that society has deemed less than so. A decade ago couples stayed married, families helped one another out, people were living at home in their 30's, learning skilled trades. they didn't get married ( for the most part ) and having kids until they were in their 30's. They had experienced life before they tried to create thier own., the media didn't dictate what was cool. PROgression or DEgression is up to you. Apparently while these two playboys died in a high speed fiery car crash, the rest of the world stopped. No one else died, no one else was molested, no one else was murdered, no one else suffered at all. Perhaps they are true martyrs ...........

Wait what??? blink.gif av-943.gif
JRust
I am amazed this has had such legs here. 9 pages of a mix of people complaining about this guy who died. I actually like Paul Walker. He was down to earth from what I had seen. Having said that I never met the guy. I did like his movies. I like the fast & the furious series. Just the cars some of the stunts are pretty damn cool. Is it sad the guy died? Hell yes he was pretty close to my age. I don't find it any more sad that he died than a guy who died down the street. I didn't know either of them. As far as actor's go I don't think he was one of the stuck up ones but I really don't pay attention to that crap. There are a lot of people using this to get on their high horse & use it to piss & moan about something. Just surprised to see some of it here confused24.gif

I'm ready for this thread to join Paul in a better place bye1.gif
euro911
I can't wait to see what kind of stupid TV programs they'll dump on us next season idea.gif

'Sleeping with the Kardashians'? sheeplove.gif

'Drinking with the Stars'? beer3.gif

... and maybe a merger between 'Gone with the Wind' and 'Breaking Bad' - 'Breaking Wind'? bootyshake.gif

confused24.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 12 2013, 08:40 PM) *

I can't wait to see what kind of stupid TV programs they'll dump on us next season idea.gif

'Sleeping with the Kardashians'? sheeplove.gif

... and maybe a merger between 'Gone with the Wind' and 'Breaking Bad' - 'Breaking Wind'? bootyshake.gif

confused24.gif

Starring Dr. Myke Lesneeyak as......
914_teener
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 12 2013, 08:37 PM) *

I am amazed this has had such legs here. 9 pages of a mix of people complaining about this guy who died. I actually like Paul Walker. He was down to earth from what I had seen. Having said that I never met the guy. I did like his movies. I like the fast & the furious series. Just the cars some of the stunts are pretty damn cool. Is it sad the guy died? Hell yes he was pretty close to my age. I don't find it any more sad that he died than a guy who died down the street. I didn't know either of them. As far as actor's go I don't think he was one of the stuck up ones but I really don't pay attention to that crap. There are a lot of people using this to get on their high horse & use it to piss & moan about something. Just surprised to see some of it here confused24.gif

I disagree....it is as relevant as Danica Patrick's Bum...

At least it has Porsche content....that's the rules.

mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 12 2013, 11:07 PM) *

The Romans distracted the people with wine and circus.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 12 2013, 08:37 PM) *

agree.gif

IBTL

biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 12 2013, 08:40 PM) *

You have my attention! drunk.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 12 2013, 09:28 PM) *

agree.gif Right on the mark, too bad this had to get pulled into the discussion about Paul Walker. thanks Rob
carr914
I'd watch "Drinking with the Stars"!
scotty b
I can't help but draw a comparison to the Jackass guy a years or two ago. Right off the bat he was vilified. He had been drinking, he was a wildcat, made a living by shoving stuff up his butt etc. IMHO Paul and his buddy leveled the playing field by driving like this in the middle of the day on ( what appears to be ) a industrial/residential area. someone local please correct ,me if that is wrong. Sure Jackass guy was drinking, but his incident was on a country road at night. Less chance of harming others, whereas these two were acting up in the middle of the day, in a populated area, yet they are hailed as do gooders, wonderful people etc. I have no doubt they were, but how does that make their actions any less careless then Jackass guys. Bott dot's or not confused24.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 13 2013, 07:04 AM) *

I can't help but draw a comparison to the Jackass guy a years or two ago. Right off the bat he was vilified. He had been drinking, he was a wildcat, made a living by shoving stuff up his butt etc. IMHO Paul and his buddy leveled the playing field by driving like this in the middle of the day on ( what appears to be ) a industrial/residential area. someone local please correct ,me if that is wrong. Sure Jackass guy was drinking, but his incident was on a country road at night. Less chance of harming others, whereas these two were acting up in the middle of the day, in a populated area, yet they are hailed as do gooders, wonderful people etc. I have no doubt they were, but how does that make their actions any less careless then Jackass guys. Bott dot's or not confused24.gif

These two were acting up? Or do we know if just the driver was acting up?
zymurgist
ILBT

IPB Image
ConeDodger
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 13 2013, 06:04 AM) *

I'm not sure it is fair to judge a man by the act that took his life. In point of fact, they were do gooders, and by all accounts wonderful people. in fact, i'm not sure it is fair to draw comparisons to anyone as it regards the crew from Jackass...
SLITS
dead horse.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 12 2013, 05:59 PM) *

On Sunday I was working on top of the roof of a 20 story Building in downtown LA
When I saw the 2 airplanes with banners that said goodbye to Pual.

The 2 airplanes + banners were courtesy of none other than Paris Hilton, her name was on the 2nd banner.
oldschool
agree.gif Some people can get really star struck, As for me they are just meat puppets
Or Prop's...But I have worked with some good and bad actors.. I like the best actors, only because we get what we need in 1 or 2 takes,And move on, it makes the day go by faster.. Remember they are all just doing what they love to do. ACT. And it chowtime.gif ...me.
Click to view attachment
OK heres my connection to the Fast and forgotten laugh.gif
pt_700
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 12 2013, 08:07 PM) *

i agree with scotty's comments about the misplaced emphasis our society has come to place of fame, foutune & power. do people really have that little going on in their own lives that what's happened to the latest hollywood couple is somehow newsworthy?

i gotta take a half joking exception to his comments on tmz though. have any of you ever watched it? if i know anything about hollyweird and pop culture, it's probably from watching this show. i love it's satiritical take on hollywood! it's like one of their slogans; "we love hollywood, we just have a funny way of showing it." for those who haven't watched, the format is like an office full of wise-cracking workers, who feel free to have fun at the bosses expense, poking fun at whatever video their paparazzo minions have sent in. i'd imagine if this were a celebrity watching forum, we'd make similar comments. funny stuff and i bet it shows a much more realistic portrayal of many of the celebrities featured therin than they'd prefer.

10 pages here? besides minor porsche content and the content of many of paul's movies, there's now some meat exposed about how we as a society choose to treat those of us with a talent for entertainment, however mindless that may be.

hey, at least it's not political or religious!
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 13 2013, 08:20 AM) *

dead horse.gif

Now that's just plain wrong ... He looked nothing like that horse ...
lol-2.gif
Mike Bellis
Somebody lock this thread and put it to bed already... slap.gif
MMW
Official: No mechanical issues in Paul Walker car crash

Dec. 18, 2013, 5:55 PM EST

By JUSTIN PRITCHARD, Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Investigators have found no evidence that the Porsche carrying actor Paul Walker had mechanical problems before it crashed, killing the "Fast & Furious" star.

The investigation also ruled out debris or other roadway conditions as causing the car in which Walker was a passenger to careen into a light pole and tree.

"We're looking at speed and speed alone," a law enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press. The official was not authorized to speak publicly about the investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The Nov. 30 crash also killed the driver of the 2005 Porsche Carrera GT, Walker's friend and financial adviser Roger Rodas.

Investigators with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department have calculated a speed range at which they think the car was traveling but won't firm up that number until Porsche engineers come to California next month to extract information from onboard data collectors. The official would not disclose that range.

Though the car exploded in flames after the crash, the data recorders survived and may produce information to pinpoint the speed.

Rodas, 38, and Walker, 40, co-owned an auto racing team. Rodas also was a professional driver who competed in 10 Pirelli World Challenge GTS races this year.

The official told AP that the Porsche appeared to have negotiated a curve in the road just fine before crashing in an industrial park about 30 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.

"They were well out of the curve when they lost control," the official said.
scotty b
huh.gif
budk
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 12 2013, 11:07 PM) *

beer.gif We need a "best of" forum. Well said Scotty.

Drums66
.... dead horse.gif
(couldn't be put any better!)

bye1.gif
Woody
I am working on a GT this week. One of the concerns is to check for steering issues because of the Paul Walker crash. rolleyes.gif
914_teener
......I myself have had a greater awareness of dot bots. I am thinking of starting a foundation and lobbying group against them.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 19 2013, 06:34 AM) *

......I myself have had a greater awareness of dot bots. I am thinking of starting a foundation and lobbying group against them.

If you get rid of the Botss Dots, how are all of the Cali drivers supposed to stay in their lanes after smoke.gif during lunch?
euro911
The rear tire on my CBR-600 hit a dot while I was accelerating after a right hand turn at an intersection one dewy night. Pretty scary, almost went down sad.gif
nathansnathan
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 13 2013, 09:43 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Is that Hector? biggrin.gif ... he's got a last name too, but I can't pronounce it because I'm white.
914_teener
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 19 2013, 09:41 AM) *

The rear tire on my CBR-600 hit a dot while I was accelerating after a right hand turn at an intersection one dewy night. Pretty scary, almost went down sad.gif

Ya but what you didn't know Mark is that it woke up the drunk driver that was right behind you...... laugh.gif

I think you should get one of those high horsepower tricycles that are out there so that don't happen.....I know we could put a Subie in it piratenanner.gif

Seriously....maybe....the guy just was unlucky...gettin in that car with his "financial" advisor". I like the dot bot theory though. I wonder what the Porsche engineers will say. I'm sure Porsche will have their lawyers involved as well.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 19 2013, 09:04 AM) *

If you get rid of the Botss Dots, how are all of the Cali drivers supposed to stay in their lanes after smoke.gif during lunch?

During LUNCH!!! When I arrived at McClellan AFB in the early 90's, I was warned by one of the guys in my anesthesia group not to proceed into the intersection until after the third car runs the red light... They read, they put on make up, they text, I even saw a girl trying to change clothes in traffic on the freeway...
oldschool
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 19 2013, 10:23 AM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 13 2013, 09:43 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Is that Hector? biggrin.gif ... he's got a last name too, but I can't pronounce it because I'm white.

Yes real nice dude.....
914_teener
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 19 2013, 10:55 AM) *

During LUNCH!!! When I arrived at McClellan AFB in the early 90's, I was warned by one of the guys in my anesthesia group not to proceed into the intersection until after the third car runs the red light... They read, they put on make up, they text, I even saw a girl trying to change clothes in traffic on the freeway...

Did you hit the dot bot's as you were looking at the girl change her clothes?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 19 2013, 11:32 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 19 2013, 10:55 AM) *

Did you hit the dot bot's as you were looking at the girl change her clothes?

evilgrin.gif Yes...
EdwardBlume
dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 19 2013, 09:41 AM) *

Two words for you: "Situational Awareness".. End of lecture.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.