Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC05 BIG *SS CARAVAN FROM THE NORTH WEST
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
MartyYeoman
Don't count me out.
I just checked Howard's registration list and I'm listed (with wifey).
Don't understand the confusion.
Count me in on the caravan leaving the Bay Area heading south on 101.
neo914-6
QUOTE (Marty Yeoman @ Apr 1 2005, 12:01 PM)
Don't count me out.
I just checked Howard's registration list and I'm listed (with wifey).
Don't understand the confusion.
Count me in on the caravan leaving the Bay Area heading south on 101.

Howard just updated the list...
You made the "cut" smilie_pokal.gif

What about SirAndy and Jenny??? ohmy.gif
neo914-6
See updates on page 1

A friend of mine who lives in Gilroy said In-N-Out Burger's lot is not very large. We may want to move it to McDonalds which shares the large Outlet Mall parking. People towing need lots of space to manuver...
rhodyguy
will we be driving near gpr? it's too bad we are time challanged. the hearst castle is something part of the group might find interesting. i regret not taking the time to go to the winchester house last june.

k
Porsche Rescue
Kevin,

Hearst is on highway 1. We are traveling on highway 101.

I might be persuaded to return home on the coast route, Hearst, Redwoods to Grants Pass, but it will mean one, maybe two, more nights on the road.

Craig is going on to Palm Desert so he will not be traveling home with us. We won't have a 914 Support Vehicle. Bring rabbit's foot, 4-leaf clover, etc.
rhodyguy
1, 101, i'm all screwy.gif . that sounds like fun jim. we'll have to see what al can do with regards to work. do you think the park service would frown on us using the driveway to the H.C. as our own private hill climb? i know of a couple of neat roads in eureka/ arcata/oreck.

k
boxstr
There is a 914club member who works at the Hearst Castle. That is a all day thing and you have to get a reservation before going, don't always excpect to get to see it the day you go. Other than from the telescope at the lower reception area building.
CCLINCARAVANTOHELL
plas76targa
Took the family there just yesterday - to Hearst Castle. Me to the wife, "let's drive home up rte 1. The map shows only 94 miles to Monterey. it should take only 2 hrs". Those 94 miles took damn near took three hours. Of course the Pontiac Montana just doesn't corner like a teener wink.gif If you decide to drive north up rte 1 better not have a deadline - just cruise and enjoy the road - you aren't going anywhere fast.

BTW - did have my 914club hat on. Didn't catch the attention of any employees thou
jimtab
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Apr 3 2005, 10:56 PM)
See updates on page 1

A friend of mine who lives in Gilroy said In-N-Out Burger's lot is not very large. We may want to move it to McDonalds which shares the large Outlet Mall parking. People towing need lots of space to manuver...

In and out burger is ajacent to the lot for the outlets, plenty of room there and on the road that parallels 101 next to the outlets, its a good place to meet if we can keep the shoppers on a short leash...Jim
neo914-6
QUOTE (jimtab @ Apr 4 2005, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Apr 3 2005, 10:56 PM)
See updates on page 1

A friend of mine who lives in Gilroy said In-N-Out Burger's lot is not very large.  We may want to move it to McDonalds which shares the large Outlet Mall parking.  People towing need lots of space to manuver...

In and out burger is ajacent to the lot for the outlets, plenty of room there and on the road that parallels 101 next to the outlets, its a good place to meet if we can keep the shoppers on a short leash...Jim

Anyone up for checking the site? Have lunch too biggrin.gif

Ed, in Morgan Hill (Propricer) said it was ok, so it should work...
carreraguy
I agree with Jim. In-N-Out is next to/part of a huge outlet mall. At 10am there should be plenty of parking in the nearby area if not at In-N-Out. I will have time tomorrow to check it out (and take pics even) if necessary; just let me know.
neo914-6
Scope it Tom! clap.gif

BTW, are you going to take group pics this year? I think the Gilroy location may have the largest number of 914's in one place next to the WCC05...
markb
QUOTE (plas76targa @ Apr 4 2005, 12:36 PM)

BTW - did have my 914club hat on. Didn't catch the attention of any employees tho

You wouldn't have unless you were there on a weekend. After business hours (ie: graveyard shift). And then you would be talking to my Ranger with a K9 instead of me. I'm the only one there who knows anything about teeners. smile.gif
914 novice
QUOTE (carreraguy @ Apr 4 2005, 02:12 PM)
I agree with Jim.  In-N-Out is next to/part of a huge outlet mall.  At 10am there should be plenty of parking in the nearby area if not at In-N-Out.  I will have time tomorrow to check it out (and take pics even) if necessary; just let me know.

Tom,I used to live in Gilroy
Either of the proposed spots will work but I suggest you look on the other side of the freeway by where Kmart used to be.There is also a Mcdonalds right there.parking lot is very open.Big rigs use this parking lot.The people coming down pacheco pass would simply drive over 101 and turn left at the first light.From san jose turn right from freeway and left at light.There is food and gas at any of the proposed sites but I feel that this parking lot will work best for you.
Paul
carreraguy
Felix:
Okay, I'll be down there tomorrow with camera to scope it out around 10ish. Will bring the camera on 4/22 too.

Paul:
Thanks for the tip; will check out your suggested location tomorrow too.
carreraguy
Felix:

I checked out the proposed meetup sites at 10am this morning.

Option 1: Use In-N-Out near 101 and 152W. I don't think this would be optimal since people arriving from the NW on 152E would have to go north on 101 to the next exit of Leavesley/152W. The parking lot at In-N-Out is okay but not much room for manuevering trailers and the adjacent mall lots were filling up.

Option 2: Per Paul's suggestion, meet up on the west side of the 101/152E intersection at the "D Mart" (ex- KMart) parking lot. The drivers from the NW would simply stay on 152E, cross over 101 and D Mart is one light west of 101 on the left and their lot was basically empty; Chestnut is the cross street. Folks from San Jose take the East 10th St. exit off 101S (name of 152E changes when passing over 101). There is a McDonalds on the corner of Chestnut and 10th Ave. and gas in the area. Plenty of room for cars and trailers since there few parking islands.

Option 3: Meet up at the Kohl's parking lot near Camino Arroyo and 152E. Camino Arroyo is the signal just before 101; folks from the NW would turn left at Camino Arroyo and Kohl's would be ahead on the right. Folks from San Jose would take the 152E exit and turn right on Camino Arroyo. Food, Starbucks and gas in the immediate area; lot was basically empty and had room for trailers with few parking islands.

Because of the easy off/on 101 and plenty of room to park, Option 2 looks the best to me. Below is a pic of the D Mart lot with McD's in the distance. Will also post a pic of Kohl's lot and will post other pics if you want them. Don't know how to post maps like Jeff did, but the Yahoo map link to the area is:
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=zux0o...ew=1&name=&qty=

Note that 152E is called "Pacheco Pass Highway" on the map and also you can see the Camino Arroyo area to the east of 101.

Later,
carreraguy
Kohl's lot off 152E and Camino Arroyo.
mightyohm
Those spots at McD's look perfect for trailers etc. That has my vote. Quick food and restrooms are a big plus.

I dunno about you guys but I am getting excited. My 914 is back on the road with a bunch of new parts and is in getting an alignment today. Whoohoo!
914 novice
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Apr 4 2005, 08:43 AM)
Kevin,

Hearst is on highway 1. We are traveling on highway 101.

I might be persuaded to return home on the coast route, Hearst, Redwoods to Grants Pass, but it will mean one, maybe two, more nights on the road.

Craig is going on to Palm Desert so he will not be traveling home with us. We won't have a 914 Support Vehicle. Bring rabbit's foot, 4-leaf clover, etc.

Jim,
I used to live in selma,Oregon and would drive to brookings on 199 (redwood highway)really nice drive if you are not in a hurry.Been a long time and things change but it would be like most coastal travel depends who is in front of you.
Also you would be going through cave junction Home of the Oregon Caves.I guess it is still open.
Paul
JeffBowlsby
Thanks a bunch Tom...those bigger lots seem to be the best choice. Because you have been there, suggest your favorite and lets make this happen. BTW...just right click on the mapquest maps and load them to your computer. They are .gifs usually. Then post them into a message as usual... here you go:
914 novice
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Apr 6 2005, 12:02 PM)
Those spots at McD's look perfect for trailers etc.  That has my vote.  Quick food and restrooms are a big plus.

I dunno about you guys but I am getting excited.  My 914 is back on the road with a bunch of new parts and is in getting an alignment today.   Whoohoo!

The lot goes deeper to the right and is probably three times that size.I believe that there is two car part stores within walking distance of this site and quite a few new car dealerships in case repairs were needed for your vehicles.
For the people that wanted to sleep in and meet everyone there is also a few affordable places to stay in the area as well.
Paul
carreraguy
Jeff: thanks for the tip!!

Below is a view of the rest of the lot by D Mart; Paul is correct - plenty of room!
neo914-6
Unless anyone objects (with good reasons) location is changed to McDonalds and "D" Mart! I'll post on the other thread...
Thanks Tom and plan an area we can assemble for a quick photo before the 914 mobile mecca...
carreraguy
Felix: (For continuity, same info below posted on the other NW transit thread)

For pics, lets just plan on parking opposite each other in the area of the DMart lot closest to McD's and work our way toward's the front of DMart; i.e. the location of the above shot. We should try to avoid parking too close to their front door as I would not want to piss them off to much for taking up their spaces, even though its only for an hour or so. Will plan on taking a group pic too.
Cap'n Krusty
A bit late here, but The Cap'n and his shop are midway between Gilroy and Camarillo, more or less, and we'd be happy beyond all belief to have you all stop by on your way through. If it were to be around lunch time, and we knew in advance, I know we could engineer a reasonably priced meal for the weary travellers .......... Santa Maria style tri-tip sandwiches, anyone? Chicken BBQ, Santa Maria style? The Cap'n
boxstr
Capn, I think some of us might like to stop in and say hello. I know I would..
CCLINCARANVANWCC2005
neo914-6
Ok, now that we have a Gilroy start driving.gif we'll start to identify the bathroom pain30.gif , gas driving-girl.gif , and lunch stops chowtime.gif Thanks Cap'n!
Porsche Rescue
Love to stop in Santa Maria and meet the Cap'n. Felix, Jeff and other natives will have to decide if that will work.
JeffBowlsby
That would be Great Capn...what a treat...

Being from the Bay area, I am not that familar with Santa Maria or specifically the road to get there... I defintely should not lead the pack down there...But Mapquest says its quite a haul:

185 miles...3 hours+1 minute cool_shades.gif

Thats a bit over 60 mph average...can the trailer crew make that pace or is that unrealistic...?

And 3 hours strong puts us there @ 2-2:30 ish if we leave Gilroy at 10:00am pronto...kind of a late lunch...What do yall think?

Porsche Rescue
Craig is tow dollying and he can make 60 with ease. If we leave at 10 we should be there at 1:30 allowing 30 minutes for a midway stop.
The Pacific NW/Canada group can be in Gilroy by 9:30 easily if we leave Stockton at 7:30.

Only 118 more miles to Camarillo from Santa Maria.
boxstr
I think we should stop in and say hi.
CCLINWCCCARAVAN2005
neo914-6
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Apr 7 2005, 06:46 PM)
That would be Great Capn...what a treat...

Being from the Bay area, I am not that familar with Santa Maria or specifically the road to get there... I defintely should not lead the pack down there...But Mapquest says its quite a haul:

185 miles...3 hours+1 minute   cool_shades.gif

Thats a bit over 60 mph average...can the trailer crew make that pace or is that unrealistic...?

And 3 hours strong puts us there @ 2-2:30 ish if we leave Gilroy at 10:00am pronto...kind of a late lunch...What do yall think?

Jeff,

If we leave Gilroy driving.gif at 10AM, we should arrive at Santa Maria at 1 PM chowtime.gif maybe 1:30 for the those with pull toys. We can push up the departure to 9:30AM to make it closer to lunch time. mueba.gif
boxstr
Felix, Let's keep on schedule. Leave at 10 as originally planned, I may not be pulling. If anyone is it won't slow us down that much.
If it aint broke,screw it. laugh.gif
CCLINWCCCARAVAN2005
Elliot_Cannon
For all you folks coming down 101, be careful and have the radar detectors out. CHP seems to be out in force in the Santa Maria area. (Ask me how I know). Anyway, be careful out there.
Cheers, Elliot
JeffBowlsby
This is so cool...its turning into a progressive party. This leg starts in Canada...More join in Portland and Gilroy...Then to the Capns then Camarillo....The reinstall is just the reverse. laugh.gif

Santa Maria to Camarillo is a little over 2 hours and 118 miles says mapquest. So does our schedule go like this?

10:00 am Leave Gilroy

1:00 pm Arrive at the Capns for lunch (Is the Capn really going to feed us?)

2:15 pm Leave Santa Maria

4:30 pm Arrive Camarillo

The only thing I am concerned about, and we cannot plan for it...is anything that might happen. You know...stuff happens and this schedule is tight. Everyone has to be sure they have enough gas to make each next stop to not slow down the caravan, and what happens with any breakdowns...? I guess we will just have to figure that out if anything happens.

Im game.

Porsche Rescue
I think I heard the Cap'n say he could arrange a reasonably priced lunch for us. Don't believe he is or should be hosting.

I will be carrying an assortment of tools, manuals, etc (probably everything except what I will need if I break down). Craig will likely have his Porsche support vehicle well stocked as well. We may have to separate if someone has a problem. The advantage of traveling in a group is that help is close at hand.

Should someone be a collector/publisher of a list of cell phone numbers? We could PM our numbers to that individual who could prepare a hard copy list and distribute at Portland and Gilroy. I will do a list for the Portland-Stockton leg if northerners send me their cell number.
Porsche Rescue
I have two numbers already. All Caravaners from the north send your cell number to me and I will compile a list to distribute at Portland and Gilroy.
Cap'n Krusty
Just a little note on the CHP. Between Salinas and Paso Robles they use aircraft in addition to Radar. They also use 'em just south of Santa Maria (Same airplane, different days). It's not unheard of to see them with 15-20 cars stopped at one shot. The airplane is frequently accompanied by 6-10 cars, and they each stop 2-3 cars at a time. HOWEVER! The speed limit is 70 for most, if not all, of that distance. The place you REALLY have to watch is Prunedale, beginning at the San Juan Bautista turnoff south of Gilroy, and ending a couple of miles before Salinas. It's posted 55MPH, and they MEAN it. There's cross traffic on 11 in that whole stretch, and a lot of construction. If'n you can behave yourselves there, the Chippies'll just smile and wave. They're just trying to keep everyone safe and sane. Trust me, they're used to largish caravans of "affinity group" cars, and they're NOT "out to get you". They'd rather just see you slip right through their zone.

The Cap'n, a veteran of 45 years of 101 without a ticket.................
JeffBowlsby
So Capn...Any ideas on a late-lunch place in Santa Maria for this unruly bunch?

smile.gif
neo914-6
The place you REALLY have to watch is Prunedale, beginning at the San Juan Bautista turnoff south of Gilroy, and ending a couple of miles before Salinas. It's posted 55MPH, and they MEAN it.

agree.gif I grew up in Prundale and got my first ticket(s) there... mad.gif

Hopefully everyone will maintain an average 60MPH even if you aren't towing. There is no reason to hurry unless you are running late. There's time to drive fast on the track. Besides, this is "part" of the event. How better to promote the 914 model than drive en masse...
markb
There's a local cafe that would be able to accomidate us with BBQ Tri-tip sandwiches and drinks, and John is checking in with a couple of the local BBQ groups that do chicken to see what they have going on. I don't see any problems. We will however need the Vanagon to pick up all this food! biggrin.gif
jimtab
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 8 2005, 08:41 AM)
Just a little note on the CHP. Between Salinas and Paso Robles they use aircraft in addition to Radar. They also use 'em just south of Santa Maria (Same airplane, different days). It's not unheard of to see them with 15-20 cars stopped at one shot. The airplane is frequently accompanied by 6-10 cars, and they each stop 2-3 cars at a time. HOWEVER! The speed limit is 70 for most, if not all, of that distance. The place you REALLY have to watch is Prunedale, beginning at the San Juan Bautista turnoff south of Gilroy, and ending a couple of miles before Salinas. It's posted 55MPH, and they MEAN it. There's cross traffic on 11 in that whole stretch, and a lot of construction. If'n you can behave yourselves there, the Chippies'll just smile and wave. They're just trying to keep everyone safe and sane. Trust me, they're used to largish caravans of "affinity group" cars, and they're NOT "out to get you". They'd rather just see you slip right through their zone.

The Cap'n, a veteran of 45 years of 101 without a ticket.................

Crusty, if you haven't had a ticket in 45 years....you're just not trying.... happy11.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (jimtab @ Apr 8 2005, 02:47 PM)

The Cap'n, a veteran of 45 years of 101 without a ticket................. [/QUOTE]
Crusty, if you haven't had a ticket in 45 years....you're just not trying.... happy11.gif

No tickets on 101. Not trying? 2 hrs to Laguna Seca from here (on a bike GP weekend), 2 to Gilroy, and 1.75 hrs to downtown Monterey once, when I was in a hurry. Travelling 90 in a group of pickemups and other farm trucks at 5AM when a Chippie passed us all, giving everybody a casual wave. Gotta run with the locals ............. The Cap'n
jimtab
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 8 2005, 05:14 PM)
[QUOTE=jimtab,Apr 8 2005, 02:47 PM]

The Cap'n, a veteran of 45 years of 101 without a ticket................. [/QUOTE]
Crusty, if you haven't had a ticket in 45 years....you're just not trying.... happy11.gif [/QUOTE]
No tickets on 101. Not trying? 2 hrs to Laguna Seca from here (on a bike GP weekend), 2 to Gilroy, and 1.75 hrs to downtown Monterey once, when I was in a hurry. Travelling 90 in a group of pickemups and other farm trucks at 5AM when a Chippie passed us all, giving everybody a casual wave. Gotta run with the locals ............. The Cap'n

OK, I'm a believer....send us your ju-ju..... pray.gif
neo914-6
Jim,

You get that fender on yet? Get a nice tan?
jimtab
No fender yet, and I NEVER tan, I remain a pale blue person of Scottish descent. I am currently housebound and missing my high speed driving school at Thunder Hill because of a raging case of diverticulitis....real, real, sore...in so many ways.
rhodyguy
we will have to be on the road by 7:00 on fri. for real. not that we have to, but i'd roll at 6:30. i'd prefer to be early to gilroy. i HATE being late, by so much as a minute.

k
boxstr
Well then be sure not to take the train. biggrin.gif
CCLINCHOOCHOO
Porsche Rescue
Kevin, you worry too much. It won't take 3 hours to travel 108 miles, even in your car!
rhodyguy
i know jim. i worry about that sometimes. biggrin.gif i was still on the clock waiting for that damn train!!! dry.gif

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.