Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC05 BIG *SS CARAVAN FROM THE NORTH WEST
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Kevin@ojai.net
As some one who drives from Northern California down to Ventura a few times a year, the rout I prefer is this:

I5 to Old River road, Old River Road to hwy 166, hwy 166 to hwy 33, hwy 33 to Ventura. It's the fastest, shortest route I have found so far. You can easily save about an hour taking hwy 33 vs 126, plus it is a fun curvy road through the mountains. 33 is not patrolled, and 166 is rarely patrolled (All the times I have been on that stretch of road I have only seen one SUV local cop, no chippies)

HTH,
-Kevin
neo914-6
Anymore???
drew365
QUOTE (Kevin@ojai.net @ Jan 17 2005, 02:44 AM)
As some one who drives from Northern California down to Ventura a few times a year, the rout I prefer is this:

I5 to Old River road, Old River Road to hwy 166, hwy 166 to hwy 33, hwy 33 to Ventura. It's the fastest, shortest route I have found so far. You can easily save about an hour taking hwy 33 vs 126, plus it is a fun curvy road through the mountains. 33 is not patrolled, and 166 is rarely patrolled (All the times I have been on that stretch of road I have only seen one SUV local cop, no chippies)

HTH,
-Kevin

Parts of 33 have been closed because of damage from the recent heavy rains. I don't know how long it will take to reopen so you should check with CHP before counting on this route. Just a heads up.
kenschipper
So I don't hear anyone talking about going down 1 along the coast. Yeah it's longer about (1hr 25 minutes) but you can't beat the view or the fun drive. Any takers?
JeffBowlsby
So it looks like we need a game plan for this caravan.

Route?

Meeting locations/dates/times...?

So when do I need to jump on this 914Train in or near San Jose?

cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif
JeffBowlsby
rolleyes.gif

jimtab
QUOTE (kenschipper @ Feb 1 2005, 04:28 PM)
So I don't hear anyone talking about going down 1 along the coast. Yeah it's longer about (1hr 25 minutes) but you can't beat the view or the fun drive. Any takers?

I'd be up for it but my co-pilot (wife) gets carsick when I drive that section of Hwy 1 with her...I would pay and pay.....
neo914-6
It appears that most want to drive down 101. There are those from the PNW and from the Central Valley that will come down I5. Some may drive down along the coast. I will focus planning the 101 route with a starting location in San Jose. For those that want to start or join at that juncture, I will post a date/time/location. It will most likely be at a gas station/coffee shop. We can plan one or two stops along the way and other supportive methods in order to maintain a formation... driving.gif
JeffBowlsby
Looks like you are the San Jose contact Felix...thanks for stepping up.

So it looks like we need some place for 20-30 cars to round-up at a coffee/bathroom stop. Someplace right off 880 or 101 between say McCarthy Ranch and the golf course in south SJ where we had the WCC04 meet. Any ideas for places?

Where will the caravan be staying the night before and when do they anticipate getting to San Jose? Or are they even coming to San Jose and simply going straight down I-5 from Sacramento? We would then need to rendezvous in the Central valley somewhere. We could still go there as a Bay Area contingent.

hmmm.... idea.gif
914werke
OK Im off the Fence! Plan on leaving early thurs. Dino what up ? you got a seat? Al, Kev, lets get this together we only have .....a month unsure.gif
Do we do this in halves and invade Camp 914?
boxstr
Hey Rich and friends from the north. Here is a hotel that is cheap but nice, and it is located central to the 205 and I5 freeway interchange. Also close to CAMP 914.
Check it out. http://www.sweetbrier.com/
Craig C. Laughlin
neo914-6
Craig,

What route is your posse taking?

I am focusing on the 101 route from the Bay Area. I'm sure many from the PNW will take I5. If anyone comes through SF and 101, I'll post some stops and time frames so people can "hook up". For those of us towing we will take a slower pace and stop more frequently...
rhodyguy
with 2 days to get there it will more than likely be a 4 am roll out and a 2 day push to make it down for dinner friday. leaves little time for coastal driving. how early can you leave rich? i'm sure you want to be ahead of the commute. craig what's up with folks from canada?

k
rhodyguy
what's with the stinking rain down south? i fully expect and demand that you guys do something about this issue within the next 30 days.

k
boxstr
Felix you are right I think most of us from the North west will hit the long black ribbon wandering from the frigid and rainy north to the arid and dry southern deserts, known as Interstate 5.
Kevin, I ma not sure yet on the Canadian 914 people they are coming from what I know.
So Kevin are you guys coming down direct from Seattle or a one night layover??
CCLINBESTWESTERN
TravisNeff
Camp counselor Craig, I am surprised you haven't setup a place in the barn for weary travelers. Instead of hay to sleep on it will have to be curled up on a pile of loose gears and floormats, heh.
boxstr
Sounds like a very nice idea. But I think the accomadations of the Sweetbriar inn are much nicer to wake up to than a large cold building, full of cars and parts. Especially if you are going to have to hit the highway for 10 hour jaunt down south.
CCLINHOLIDAYINN
TravisNeff
Craig, I was just teasing with ya. I am in a good mood since I took the car out for a spin after it's been sitting for the past couple weeks boldblue.gif
rhodyguy
leaving wed would be so easy. leave up here timed for just after the morning commute in portland. a long day out or not, jim likes redding. then a run over to the coast south of the whole bay thing. then a easy day down the coast all the way or stop early... whetever. screwy.gif the night before down there is impractical. i'll save the dough for the fuel that will surely be the most exspensive, ever. an 8 am out of wilsonville is going to work right?

k
914werke
Craig I was thingking start early on thurs layover and early on Fri. to complete. Would that provide us enough time to meander on 101? I agree buzzing down I5 is BORE-ING. and the return trip is got to be that trip so it'd be nice to enjoy one of those long drives.
Porsche Rescue
There is really no way to take a scenic tour using only two days from Seattle without killing yourself. It can be done from Portland. I did a beautiful trip, starting early in Portland, cutting to coast at Grants Pass, OR, Redwoods, best 914 road in existence from Leggett to Fort Bragg, CA for first night. Drove coast Highway 1, across Golden Gate, continued on down 1 and 101 to Ventura for German Autofest in '03. Camarillo is near Ventura. Only problem, the twisty to Fort Bragg would be hell for Craig towing a 914 on a dolly.
boxstr
Travis I knew that. I just didn't want any of the those crazies from up north getting any ideas.
CCLINHOLIDAYINN
rhodyguy
easy path if you're in a 928 jim. rolleyes.gif i know of a cool road near oreck, we could stage a mini hill climb. perhaps we should leave the monday before biggrin.gif . i don't want to get off I-5 north of anywhere that will force us to deal with san fransisco traffic. didn't we have our own thread?

k
boxstr
I thinkif you look at the title of this thread you are in it K.
CCLINWCCPNWCARAVAN
neo914-6
Craigs thread is here

For Canada and PNW travelers coming down through I5, you can use that thread.

I will focus details on the Bay Area segment using 101 to 1...
Howard
This is starting to sound as good as the 'main' event. Good roads, good group. Now if you guys just want to leave now, add in some golf and pub crawling, I'll come up and we'll start from there. biggrin.gif

Good idea for next year when we come up to your neck of the woods, Craig smilie_pokal.gif
rhodyguy
focus on the 1,101 details. laugh.gif

k
boxstr
Yes it could be a great time if it is held during the Portland Historic Races. http://www.portlandhistorics.com/
All kinds of family activites and races going on for three days as well as GOLF next to the racetrack.
Hotels and restauraunts are just across the freeway from Portland International Raceway. It has it all.
CCLINCAMPCLASSIC2006
rhodyguy
jeanne has been wanting to go to the Bonneville Hotsprings Spa and Resort. very do able that weekend. i prefer the old Hotel St Martin in carson.

k
jimtab
QUOTE (boxstr @ Mar 19 2005, 10:10 AM)
Yes it could be a great time if it is held during the Portland Historic Races. http://www.portlandhistorics.com/
All kinds of family activites and races going on for three days as well as GOLF next to the racetrack.
Hotels and restauraunts are just across the freeway from Portland International Raceway. It has it all.
CCLINCAMPCLASSIC2006

Hell Yes, I'm in.....how much is the track fee? happy11.gif happy11.gif
ablose58
SO, People, when are we leaving boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif When are we leaving???????????????????????????????????????????????? happy11.gif
boxstr
Okay another confirmed traveler, Brad from Seattle is coming down. He bought a car from Porsche Rescue.
He may be down Wednesday and stay over.
CCLINWCCCARAVAN
neo914-6
Craig et al,

Sean changed the subtitle to coming down on "101" for me, sorry for the confusing "North West" title.

You can track this thread for "Interstate 5".

You may want to add "Interstate 5" to this thread's subtitle... driving.gif
boxstr
Felix how do I add "I5" to the subtitle?
CCLINWHY
neo914-6
I asked Seanery, he's the man! clap.gif Actually I think any admin can do it for you...
914werke
Sorry folks, a Wed's departure is out of the question for me. Its tough enough getting this time off. I guess Im planning on an early morning Thurs exit from Seattle. huh.gif
Anyone else?
rhodyguy
go to the "real" "north" thread rich.

kevin
914werke
Where the "F" is that? blink.gif
Porsche Rescue
Ok, I'm confused as usual. This thread started many moons ago and was referring to NW CALIFORNIA folks. I protested that they were geographically challenged, OR, WA, ID are the NORTHWEST. I was abruptly slapped down.
Then there was another thread for REAL nor'westers. It is on the WCC 2005 Forum. Boxster last posted there on the 19th. I suggest all of us from Pacific Northwest and western Canada (Montana is welcome too) use that forum.

Any way:
Mapquest says 8.5 hours and 563 miles from Wilsonville, OR (just south of Portland on I-5, good rendevous spot) to Sacramento, CA.
Leave by 8 am, allow a few stops for gas, food, potty (me and Kevin never pass one without a stop) and we're in Sacramento for dinner and bed. Could leave a little later to accomodate Puget area folks who are leaving Thur. am and still make Sacramento by dark.

It is then 406 miles, 6 hours to Camarillo. On the road by 8 should get us there by 3pm or so, again depending on length of lunch stop and how many rest stops we visit. Freeways in that area are to avoid after 3pm.

It is 93 miles from Camarillo to Lancaster. That puts us 365 miles and 5.5 hours drive time to Sacramento on the way home. If we stay until end of festivities, probably want to stop somewhere south of Sacramento and make the long push to Portland and north on Tuesday, 26th

This is no scenic tour. One more day for the drive south is required for that.
rhodyguy
do i need to log off and call you to tell you where to look? laugh.gif

k
rhodyguy
this one was brought back out front jim. things will get nailed down after a few adjustments to timing. no telling how the guys from up north will time their pass thru the puget sound area. they should be going through everett no later than 1pm. if it's 4:30 and they're still north of marysville, they should stop and have a long diner. sometimes with a little sign language you and i manage to skip one jim.

k
914werke
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 21 2005, 10:48 AM)

k

Get broadband or a CELL phone and it wont be a concern! biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Mar 21 2005, 11:01 AM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 21 2005, 10:48 AM)

k

Get broadband or a CELL phone and it wont be a concern! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif Kevin with a cell phone! laugh.gif That's a good one! lol2.gif
rhodyguy
i'm not suggesting you fight rush hour at all. i'm suggesting you leave work at 3pm and head south. it's not even leaving a whole day early. only 12 hours. biggrin.gif

k
mightyohm
Hi, add me to the caravan list. Not 100% sure if I will be able to leave early Friday but we'll see.

1 914, self powered, with 1 passenger. Returning Monday evening.

JeffBowlsby
Has a specific route with times/dates been agreed upon yet and posted somewhere? I looked and could not find it...point it out if it exists pleez...

Seems odd that there might be two different routes going south at basically at the same time within a few miles of each other.

If there are two 914 trains, I will be on one of them. 101 South from the Bay Area to Camarillo is probably the better route giovben Camarillos location, even from Sacramento. If the I-5 group can come south on I5 and over Highway 152 we could rendezvous at Gilroy for a mega caravan. If I need to, I would consider coming over to I5 and teeming up with that caravan.
mightyohm
Driving I-5 in a slightly unreliable old sports car (like mine) scares me (and I have done it). I would definitely, definitely prefer to do 101.
rhodyguy
you'd rather drive a 2 lane coastal road in an slightly unreliable old sports car? biggrin.gif what ever happens, the party will be starting on fri for sure.

k
mightyohm
On the coast, you can choose your speed. Follow granny and go 55. Or pick up the pace and do 70-75. Or anywhere in between.

On I-5, if you are not going at least 80 you are going to be stuck in the slow lane behind trucks all day dodging thrown rocks or in the fast lane you will spend most of your time looking in your rearview mirror, waiting to dodge every car that comes 3" from your bumper and flashes its high beams. Traffic on I-5 can get very dicey.

101 has more spots to stop along the road and not be 3 feet from traffic, more frequent gas stations and auto parts stores, and more variety in the terrain and scenery.

I have driven up and down CA both routes and I would definitely choose 101 especially given that the destination is on the coast!

neo914-6
Has a specific route with times/dates been agreed upon yet and posted somewhere? I looked and could not find it...point it out if it exists pleez...

Seems odd that there might be two different routes going south at basically at the same time within a few miles of each other.

If there are two 914 trains, I will be on one of them. 101 South from the Bay Area to Camarillo is probably the better route giovben Camarillos location, even from Sacramento. If the I-5 group can come south on I5 and over Highway 152 we could rendezvous at Gilroy for a mega caravan. If I need to, I would consider coming over to I5 and teeming up with that caravan.

I've posted the link for PNW coming down I5 a couple of times. I've had the admin change this thread's subtitle to "101". Craig will have his thread changed to "I5". Unless we agree to link the two routes say in Pasa Robles, they will be separate...

boldblue.gif WATCH PAGE 1 FOR MORE DETAILS. EVERYTHING IS FLEXIBLE RIGHT NOW...SO SPEAK UP NOW OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE [SIZE=7] boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.