Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC05 BIG *SS CARAVAN FROM THE NORTH WEST
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
neo914-6
As of 4/3/05:
Gilroy McDonalds off 152 Leavesly exit will be the Link/Meeting Place for everyone traveling South on 101. Map
Time: 9:30-10:30 AM

Next Stop: Pasa Robles @ 1:00-1:30

Possible Stop: Santa Barbara

Destination: Camarillo by 4-4:30 PM

List as of 3/31/05:
Demick (demick) Union City
Ed (Tiim5), Menlo Park
Grant (grantsfo), Bonny Doon
Jeff (Bowlsby), San Jose
Jeff (jkeyzer), Mountain View
Jim & wife (jimtab), Pacifica
Keith & Joan (Keith Sammons), Hayward
Ken & wife (ken schipper), San Juan Bautista
Mark (McMark), Napa
Marty & pass (Marty Yeoman), San Ramon
Matt & wife (plas76targa),Pleasanton
Mike (mikerose) Pittsburg
Tom (carreraguy) San Jose

Towing 914's:
Andyrew, are you coming down 101?
Chris (Chris Julian), Los Gatos
Felix (Neo914), San Jose
Mike (mueller) Antioch
Nathan & Zoya (nebreitling), Palo Alto

Towing Sunday
Trekkor (trekkor) Napa
nebreitling
okay, i'm down like a clown. i'll be in the truck flat-towing the teener. truck's a little old, no overdrive, so i don't know if i can keep up with everyone -- but it'll do about 70-75 okay.

cab will be full with my gf and i, but i should have some spare room in the bed for someone's competition tires and tools (in addition to my own).

i'm looking to just hop down the 101. would like to leave friday, late morning; before noon. happy to meet people at a designated location in the SouthBay off the 101 and then go as a group from there. mapquest calls it a 7-hour drive.

nathan (and zoya)
Howard
I'll put a link to this on first page.
neo914-6
Nathan,

Just curious, why are you towing your teener? Isn't the MOMO comfy? Are you renting the trailer?

Why 101? IPB Image I usually take I5 to SoCal, less CHPs, more lanes, and faster. I dunno, let the horde decide...

Felix
nebreitling
QUOTE (Jaiderenegadesimpson V8 914 @ Jan 5 2005, 07:49 PM)
Nathan,

Just curious, why are you towing your teener? Isn't the MOMO comfy? Are you renting the trailer?

Why 101? IPB Image I usually take I5 to SoCal, less CHPs, more lanes, and faster. I dunno, let the horde decide...

Felix

the momo's great. i just like the peace of mind that comes with a tow vehicle. don't need a trailer. just a tow bar. also want to take dot-r's for the track day. can't fit a second set of wheels/tires, tools, my shit, a girlfriend, and her shit in the 914. or, at least, it's really pushing it for a 6-7 hour drive.

that said, if someone else has room for some of my stuff in the back of their tow vehicle, then i'd just take the 914.

re. the 101 vs. 5, i usually take the 5 as well. But Camarillo appears to be right off the 101, so that's what i was thinking. it's also what mapquest offered me as the quickest. however, if we get into SoCal around 5pm, then traffic on the 101 through SantaBarbra is going to be sucking hard. so then, the 5 might be better. whatever people think.
Porsche Rescue
Northwest what? Northwest California? There is only one Northwest and it ain't in California! Hell, I was all ready to sign up.
boxstr
Hey you guys going to wait for us?? Where would we hookup?
CCLINNORTHWESTCONVOY
neo914-6
There is only one Northwest and it ain't in California!

Come on, it's too early to get anal. CANADA, PACIFIC NORTHWEST, NORTHWEST STATES, WASHINGTON, OREGON, WESTERN , COASTAL STATES, GOLDEN COAST, GOLDRUSH COUNTRY, NORTHERN CALIFORNIA, CENTRAL VALLEY, SACTO, NAPA VALLEY, HPH HOUSE, EVERYPLACE ELSE... IPB Image

Happy? IPB Image

You're all going to funnel through NorCal...so let's fill the roads with 914's while the SoCal guys are sleeping in!
SirAndy
- plan was to go down I5
- no smoke
- no radar detector
- loud, but quieter with top off ( IPB Image )
- right now, it looks like my pass. seat will be empty, soooo, if you know any pretty & young ladies that would like a ride in a red sportscar ....
- from bay area/oakland/SF

IPB Image Andy
nebreitling
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 5 2005, 09:26 PM)
- right now, it looks like my pass. seat will be empty, soooo, if you know any pretty & young ladies that would like a ride in a red sportscar ....

damn ahhhndy. where's your hot-oil-rubbing-coed going to be?
rhodyguy
tentative departure on wed the 20th from tacoma. big push to stockton on day one, with arrival on thurs. i look forward to the breakfast on fri. it's either leave around 4:30, to beat rush hour on the 205, or leave at 6. the wilsonville reststop is a handy hookup location. i'll have a couple of 2-way radios.

kevin
boxstr
"Copy good buddy"
CCLINWCC2005
914werke
So Kev, any one else commited to that romp besides Craig? Dave, Geoff, Tim, Larry, Dan ...
Im on the Fence (Someone give me a push!) IPB Image
rhodyguy
al blose and i will be running down with our cars. get off the fence rich.

kevin
Jenny
IMHO, 101 will be a lot faster, and shorter route. Plus I think there are more towns you pass thru in case you need parts or something. Brian's parents live just outside of camarillo in Newbury Park. We've always taken 101 as opposed to I5. I think the 5 would be better for going into LA itself, but if you're along the coast, 101 is the best bet.

YMMV,

Jen
MartyYeoman
From this info we can plan stop and meeting points...
List:
1. # of 914(s): 1
2. self powered or trailered: self powered
3. # of non-914 vehicles: 0
4. # of people: 2
5. # of pets (for Jenny): 0
6. Start location: San Ramon (580/680)
7. Time/date of start: Friday morning, Dark o'early
8. Your planned route(s): 101 is a nicer drive than 5. My preference. Can meet south of San Jose.
9. Destination if not event Hotel: Hotel
10. Time/date of return: Monday after track laps, Maybe Tuesday morning of feeling lazy.
11. Other information: If you have a spare seat, if you can transport a car, if you have a radar detector (you take the lead), if your car smokes (you stay in the back), who has two-way radios, if you can share a hotel room/bed , etc.. No spare seat, No radar, No smoke, Two way radio available.
Howard
Jen, as always, you're right. And Marty, you nailed it. According to 'steets and trips' San Jose to Camarillo is 361 miles and 6h4m via 5. 323 miles and 6h20m via 101, but a nicer drive IMHO.
rhodyguy
i'm open to other suggestions. it's a long day 1 no matter what shakes out.

kevin
grantsfo
QUOTE (Jenny @ Jan 6 2005, 08:59 AM)
IMHO, 101 will be a lot faster, and shorter route. Plus I think there are more towns you pass thru in case you need parts or something. Brian's parents live just outside of camarillo in Newbury Park. We've always taken 101 as opposed to I5. I think the 5 would be better for going into LA itself, but if you're along the coast, 101 is the best bet.

YMMV,

Jen

I took both routes from Santa Cruz to West LA last week. Very similar times for me on both routes. If you are going directly to Willow Springs 5 is the best route. I prefer 101 to West LA.

101 has some added benefits over 5; Passing Coastal towns of Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbra, etc. Its also a lot cooler along 101. For those driving V8's the grapevine climb to 4200 ft might be a concern. Highway 5 in California is just damn boring.

Oh yeah and you can jump over to PCH along Malibu easily from 101 to take advantage of the canyon roads. Malibu's canyon roads put most of our Northwest roads to shame. I vote for a run over Latigo Canyon Rd.
rhodyguy
my maps are kind of unclear. where does Hwy 126 cut off from 5? pre grapevine? half way trough? leaving 5 from the stockton/sacramento area to get to 101 will add a bit more time than i want to add.

kevin
grantsfo
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 6 2005, 10:06 AM)
my maps are kind of unclear. where does Hwy 126 cut off from 5? pre grapevine? half way trough? leaving 5 from the stockton/sacramento area to get to 101 will add a bit more time than i want to add.

kevin

126 is south of the Grapevine. So you would climb over the mountains and descend into the valley before the junction.
SirAndy
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jan 6 2005, 09:45 AM)
101 is the best bet.

alright then, who's going to caravan down 101?

when do you want to show up there? i'd like to make the 4pm friday meet, so - 7h from SJ that means leaving SJ around 9am ...
does that sound about right???

who's in?
IPB Image Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jan 5 2005, 10:30 PM)
where's your hot-oil-rubbing-coed going to be?

long story ...

IPB Image Andy
Chris Julian
OK andy- What happened? IPB Image

Chris
grantsfo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 6 2005, 10:24 AM)
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jan 6 2005, 09:45 AM)
101 is the best bet.

alright then, who's going to caravan down 101?

when do you want to show up there? i'd like to make the 4pm friday meet, so - 7h from SJ that means leaving SJ around 9am ...
does that sound about right???

who's in?
IPB Image Andy

I'm in
nebreitling
9am SJ it is!!! i'm in.

sorry about the coed, andy. i'll ask some of my hotter students if they want a ride down to LA in a red porsche with a handsome, european man. IPB Image
neo914-6
After more people lay out their tentative routes/time, I think we should plan on locations and time ranges along I5 and 101 so we can meet up or take a break along the routes. I'm thinking Bakersfield San Louis Obispo, Pasa Robles, Grapevine, or...

The "real" Pacific North West group may want to decide on an Oregon and Way Northern California town.

Felix
Chris Julian
Hey Felix, as you know, I am planning on attending the event but I have no way of transporting my car. I don't even own a truck to pull a rented trailer.

I may need to hire/rent a single or multicar trailer and a tow vehicle to transport the car down south? This gets complicated really quickly when you consider that we will be bouncing around from local to local over several days. IPB Image IPB Image
Looks like I'll be scrambling over the coming months trying to orchestrate this trip.

Any ideas?

Chris
nebreitling
chris, perhaps someone else has a truck you could borrow for the trip? trailers can be rented (i supposed trucks can too, but that gets $$$ with the mileage)...

i'd offer mine, but i'd prefer to tow my car. as the date approaches and if you're really desperate, however, i'd consider driving my 914 down with my stuff in the truck bed -- you could be in the truck pulling your car (you'll still have rent a trailer or dolly or rig up a flat-tow system).
dinomium
My wife has dropped out of wanting to go, so now I will either need to hitch a ride or fly down. Still only have one good car right now... Even if I find the time to put ugmo back on the street, I don't think I want to drive her THAT far!
MartyYeoman
Count us in for the 101 caravan.
IPB Image
Chris Julian
Hey thanks Nathan IPB Image

It’s still early so anything can happen?? I really would like to buy a trailer (fer cheap) and then it’s just a matter of finding/renting a truck.

Chris
jimtab
QUOTE (Jenny @ Jan 6 2005, 08:59 AM)

YMMV,

Jen

IPB Image It is just as fast in my opinion and MUCH more scenic, also MO"S BBQ in SLO for lunch....excellent!
jimtab
I'm in, with my wife, DRIVING my greenie, 2 2-way radios. I can leave anytime after 5pm on Thursday. This is gonna be GREAT!!!
neo914-6
Chris,
If I get Harry's old 357 in my car I may be up for driving but I'd prefer to trailer for long trips. Why won't your's be road ready?

I'm getting a car trailered up to Seattle so maybe we can arrange a group rate on a 10 car semi truck. Better yet rent one for the event. We have some time...
Felix
markb
If ya wanna stop just south of San Luis Obispo, we have a Mo's here in the 5 cities (Avila/Shell/Pismo/Grover Beaches/Arroyo Grande). Plus I have lots of parts for those unexpected breaks. IPB Image

I definately want to be an early-bird so I don't miss anything (I had to skip last year), but I'll wait for the caravan.

I'm still hoping to have 2 914's ready, so may need a second driver. I'm hoping to have the Black Car sorted, and try & sell it to some unsuspecting suc.....er, um, someone looking for a runnig teener. IPB Image
McMark
I'm in for the caravan. I'll go wherever. I plan on driving the 914, but I may tow if I get scared. I'm insanely nervous now because it's still not running 100% and I only have a few months. IPB Image
tiim5
I'm also in for the caaravan. I think it would be a good idea to develop a list of cell phone numbers for those caravaning. I expect to be able to be in SJ between 9 and 9:30, if I miss the take off I'd like to be able to call ahead for road conditions etc.
jimtab
QUOTE (tiim5 @ Jan 7 2005, 07:10 AM)
I'm also in for the caaravan. I think it would be a good idea to develop a list of cell phone numbers for those caravaning. I expect to be able to be in SJ between 9 and 9:30, if I miss the take off I'd like to be able to call ahead for road conditions etc.

Cell phones in cars create inattentive drivers, just use hand signals. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
SLITS
QUOTE (jimtab @ Jan 7 2005, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (tiim5 @ Jan 7 2005, 07:10 AM)

Cell phones in cars create inattentive drivers, just use hand signals. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

All you will need is the "Emergency Contact List" in your glove box (european) or glove compartment (american).

Out of SF.....5 is fast....101 is scenic and adds a lot of time.
McMark
Took 101 on accident one time. Took me almost twice as long.

I vote for I-5, but I'm game regardless.
Allan
For those of you that decide on the I-5 route, I can meet up. Not sure if I'll be going down on Friday but I will be available for those of you who would like to prep your car before the climb up the hill. I don't have parts but do have access to tons of tools and a car lift.
quick six
126 is at Magic Mountain, allmost into LA. That is 1 hour south of the Grapevine(Bakersfield) in a car. From Bakersfield to Camarillo, towing an enclosed trailer I-5 to 126 to 101 to Camarillo is my usual run for the PCA auto-X each year.Slow up the Grapevine. 2 1/2 hours in a car(not a porsche).
I-5 and 126 is the fastest. 101 is the most interesting from your area.
neo914-6
I may need to hire/rent a single or multicar trailer and a tow vehicle to transport the car down south? This gets complicated really quickly when you consider that we will be bouncing around from local to local over several days.  

Chris et al,
I got a quote to tow up to 10 cars (two levels of 5) there and back on the third day for $400 ea. This could cost less than the cost of gas, truck rental if you don't have one, and trailer rental if you don't have one. I need to confirm he will take us to both events. I'll post this separately...
plas76targa
Count me in for the caravan from San Jose.

My stat's
1. # of 914(s): just one
2. self powered or trailered: drive it myself
3. # of non-914 vehicles: n/a
4. # of people: one, possibly two if wife can go
5. # of pets (for Jenny): if one, I'll pet Jenny anytime, if two, strike that earlier remark
6. Start location: Pleasanton to San Jose
7. Time/date of start: Friday am with the rest of the SJ gang
8. Your planned route(s): heading south 101 or what ever
9. Destination if not event Hotel: n/a
10. Time/date of return: Monday mid-day
11. Other information: good possibility that it will be just me going. so I might have room for someone's stuff or even someone. The Non smoking, non *arting type.
Oh, I have at least one pair of those walkie talkie radios.
MartyYeoman
Matt,
Keep in touch. We can roll together.
Can you say "ROADTRIP"
jimtab
QUOTE (Marty Yeoman @ Jan 14 2005, 09:54 PM)

Can you say "ROADTRIP"

Not just yes.....HELL YES!! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
neo914-6
List on first page...
Keith Sammons
Joan & I will join whatever group is that is going down 101 on the 22nd. Is there a group leader?

KK
neo914-6
No leader as of yet. Let's try to agree on a start time so everyone taking 101 can meet up in San Jose. IPB Image There should be another meeting place for the I5 group...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.