Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: American Racer Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Apr 19 2014, 06:35 AM) *

If the temps are tracking and the car is hooking up then you've developed a great set up. It sure looks good in the pictures.

Did you tie the cage to the shock towers / torsion bar mounts?

No splitter / spoiler? I only mention this as they really do work well together.

Here is a picture of mine.

Click to view attachment

That was when I was running a square setup like I believe you are now.
Woody
Working on putting a cage together now as well as some aero. Car will be getting a splitter and a wing or aggressive spoiler. I'm doing a bunch of stuff to the car this year. I am also in the process of building a high compression 2.4 /4. The car has very minimal understeer which transitions to mild oversteer. Again I am still working with this setup and figuring it out but I think I'm on the right track. I still have a long way to go to get where I want it to be.

Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Apr 27 2014, 09:10 AM) *

Working on putting a cage together now as well as some aero. Car will be getting a splitter and a wing or aggressive spoiler. I'm doing a bunch of stuff to the car this year. I am also in the process of building a high compression 2.4 /4. The car has very minimal understeer which transitions to mild oversteer. Again I am still working with this setup and figuring it out but I think I'm on the right track. I still have a long way to go to get where I want it to be.

You'll like the big 4. Nothing like having 175rwhp/170rwftlbs to play with, but it's an entirely new game.

And FYI I've very seldom been beat by a 6, just a couple of times on bad tires, in process of trying a new set up/ sorting out a major issue or the biggest issue (always) coming out cold after a year off.

And when you get in front of well driven GT3 or GT2 it will make your day.

I think if we compared development (my picture above) would be where you are now, i.e., no cage tie in / aggressive splitter or spoiler, etc. I thought it was interesting.
Woody
I Installed my 5 gallon cell yesterday. Hopefully will be getting my bilstein struts this week so I can raise the spindles and install them next weekend.
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Apr 27 2014, 10:44 AM) *

I Installed my 5 gallon cell yesterday. Hopefully will be getting my bilstein struts this week so I can raise the spindles and install them next weekend.

Great move or moves.

One additional thing - pretty much magic, but expensive. Raising the shock towers, as part of an overall stiffing exercise, really does produce results.

That was going to be the next thing on 222.
Woody
Raising the shock towers? Front and rear? I've been looking at Chris's kits. May have to consider them a little harder.
Woody
Here's the fuel tank. Don't know why it came with AN 10 fittings but I made them work. Need to come up with a way to secure the vent better. The supply is a repurposed early 996 dipstick tube.

Click to view attachment
Woody
Click to view attachment
jjackson
QUOTE(Woody @ Apr 27 2014, 03:43 PM) *

Woody-
Now that you have run the car several times- Are you faster than you were on the A 6s ?
J Jackson
Woody
I believe the car is half a second quicker than it was on fresh A6s. Once I get everything dialed in it may be a full second. I've only had one dry event and not everyone I normally base my times off of showed up. The car feels much faster because I haven't found the limit in the transitions. The turn in is "delayed" compared to the A6s but I believe that's because of the switch to a bias ply. I wouldn't call it understeer, just delayed a very small amount. The setup with the A6s was spot on. It will take me more than one good dry event to feel as confident in this new setup. To answer your question though, yes I believe they are faster and I like the feel.
jjackson
QUOTE(Woody @ Apr 28 2014, 03:10 PM) *

I believe the car is half a second quicker than it was on fresh A6s. Once I get everything dialed in it may be a full second. I've only had one dry event and not everyone I normally base my times off of showed up. The car feels much faster because I haven't found the limit in the transitions. The turn in is "delayed" compared to the A6s but I believe that's because of the switch to a bias ply. I wouldn't call it understeer, just delayed a very small amount. The setup with the A6s was spot on. It will take me more than one good dry event to feel as confident in this new setup. To answer your question though, yes I believe they are faster and I like the feel.

Comparable times in a bargain priced tire is awesome.
I definitely like the precision of the A 6 radial compared to the bias-ply-
It does take some getting used to.
Good Luck !! J
Woody
Thank you. I will keep y'all posted.
Trekkor
Love the pictures.
Fantastic!!
R8CERX
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Apr 29 2014, 10:53 PM) *

Love the pictures.
Fantastic!!

Nice car and set up.... first.gif

Woody
Since my last event I installed my 5 gallon cell on the trunk floor, got rid of the rear brake pressure limiting valve and installed a T, raised the front spindles 19mm and lowered the rear of the car an inch. Re-corner balanced and aligned it with one degree of camber all around. Toe out front, toe in rear. Car weights in at 1826 pounds with a gallon of fuel. Here are my current thoughts on the tires. The vague feeling is still there but I think that's the tradeoff for going bias ply. The straight line grip such as accelerating and braking are very good. Trailbraking is predictable as well. Mid corner grip is good. Corner exit or maintenance throttle through the turn sucks as the inside tire will just spin. I originally attributed this to my lack of a limited slip differential and also that the tires were taller than my A6s which raised the ride height of the car. I honestly believe it may also have something to do with the tire construction. One of my other XP buddies was running a set on his miata and he was experiencing the exact same thing, no drive out of the corners. He removed his rear bar and it didn't change anything. He is running a torque biasing diff. So maybe it is inherent in the design. I don't know. Here's a couple videos from today. This course was very tight and very frustrating for everyone. It didn't flow at all. Little tricky at the finish.

http://youtu.be/7HaoTVYliEo

http://youtu.be/lFsUJv2iimU
Woody
I'm thinking I may need to go with a bigger front swaybar. I am currently running a 22mm weltmeister and its maxed out. I think I may have to look into Chris's setups at Tangerine. What do ya'll think?
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ May 18 2014, 04:16 PM) *

Since my last event I installed my 5 gallon cell on the trunk floor, got rid of the rear brake pressure limiting valve and installed a T, raised the front spindles 19mm and lowered the rear of the car an inch. Re-corner balanced and aligned it with one degree of camber all around. Toe out front, toe in rear. Car weights in at 1826 pounds with a gallon of fuel. Here are my current thoughts on the tires. The vague feeling is still there but I think that's the tradeoff for going bias ply. The straight line grip such as accelerating and braking are very good. Trailbraking is predictable as well. Mid corner grip is good. Corner exit or maintenance throttle through the turn sucks as the inside tire will just spin. I originally attributed this to my lack of a limited slip differential and also that the tires were taller than my A6s which raised the ride height of the car. I honestly believe it may also have something to do with the tire construction. One of my other XP buddies was running a set on his miata and he was experiencing the exact same thing, no drive out of the corners. He removed his rear bar and it didn't change anything. He is running a torque biasing diff. So maybe it is inherent in the design. I don't know. Here's a couple videos from today. This course was very tight and very frustrating for everyone. It didn't flow at all. Little tricky at the finish.

http://youtu.be/7HaoTVYliEo

http://youtu.be/lFsUJv2iimU

Nice hand work on the first run.

Suggestion: Take your rear view mirror off when you autox. It's right in your line of sight when looking for upcoming right turns.

Your going to love the big motor. And get a TBD, your going to need it.
Woody
Thanks buddy. I know the diff is lacking. These tires make it very apparent. I need to see how soon I can fit it into the budget. I still need to figure out and buy the oiling system for the new engine. I would like to dry sump it.
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ May 19 2014, 09:07 AM) *

Thanks buddy. I know the diff is lacking. These tires make it very apparent. I need to see how soon I can fit it into the budget. I still need to figure out and buy the oiling system for the new engine. I would like to dry sump it.

Bill Pickering brought up this one:

http://www.wavetrac.net/

I think about 50% of what a Guard unit costs.

The engineering is also very interesting.

Bill bought one and our noted local transmission expert said it was as nice a unit as he has ever seen. We'll see when we run it behind that 3.2 that Bill has in the 914.
Seabird
QUOTE(Randal @ May 19 2014, 08:19 AM) *

Bill Pickering brought up this one:

http://www.wavetrac.net/

I think about 50% of what a Guard unit costs.

The engineering is also very interesting.

Bill bought one and our noted local transmission expert said it was as nice a unit as he has ever seen. We'll see when we run it behind that 3.2 that Bill has in the 914.

Wow 1400$ that is almost at striking distance. Going to keep these guys in mind.

Miguel
Woody
I have been looking at the Wavetracs and was thinking I would go with that over the Guard because it is still supposed to work with an unloaded tire. I know it would transform the car and most likely fix my corner exit problem. What was odd to me was my Miata buddy running the same tires with a TBD had the same exact problem. headbang.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ May 19 2014, 10:30 AM) *

I have been looking at the Wavetracs and was thinking I would go with that over the Guard because it is still supposed to work with an unloaded tire. I know it would transform the car and most likely fix my corner exit problem. What was odd to me was my Miata buddy running the same tires with a TBD had the same exact problem. headbang.gif

I had a Guard TBD in my 914 and it simply worked. With the big motor it was just what was necessary to get everything working together. Magic really!

Have to thank JP as he is the first guy to use one and tell us how well it worked.

When I build a now 901 box it's going to have the Wavetrac.
blackmoon
QUOTE(Woody @ Apr 14 2014, 06:25 AM) *

Well we had great weather yesterday and I got 5 good runs in. On a 35 second course the car is at least a half second faster than it ever was on the A6s, maybe a full second. The need for a TB diff is exagerated with this setup so I ended up going full stiff on the front bar. It helped but just masked the problem. Turn in was great, Haven't found the limit while in the slaloms and it seems very predictable mid corner. It was about 85 degrees ambient and I saw 110 on the tires which was close to what the other guys were seeing.

My two best runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exodqAGWBXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1o1TbTK-dU

Nice directional stripper for guidance piratenanner.gif
J P Stein
Brit sent a new pic of his car.....also a vid. At his last AX he beat a DP Miata by nearly 3 sec.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzgyqyPqOA...eature=youtu.be

Runs like this will put him in the hunt at The Nats. in XP. He'll be at Crows Landing for a preview.

The car looks fast just settin' there.Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 24 2014, 05:24 PM) *

Brit sent a new pic of his car.....also a vid. At his last AX he beat a DP Miata by nearly 3 sec.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzgyqyPqOA...eature=youtu.be

Runs like this will put him in the hunt at The Nats. in XP. He'll be at Crows Landing for a preview.

The car looks fast just settin' there.Click to view attachment

Looking forward to watching Britain go against the XP Champs. His car at Medford was crazy fast, so thinking he is going to do very well.
brant
Nice paint!
koozy
That looks ridiculously fast and equally as fun
Woody
Point taken JP. While my car is not a contender in XP yet, I am building it into one. I wanted to start the year in XP so at least I can start gathering some year end points. Your old car, Britain's car is quite the beast. beerchug.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Woody @ May 26 2014, 03:28 PM) *

Point taken JP. While my car is not a contender in XP yet, I am building it into one. I wanted to start the year in XP so at least I can start gathering some year end points. Your old car, Britain's car is quite the beast. beerchug.gif

There are 3 DP Miatas running in PNW SCCA.
All of then go to the Nats regular like. All have trophied there. All are about 2 seconds behind the top XP guy (Zust), depending on the day but that is a good round number. They used to beat my old car by 1-2 seconds.

Brit & Alan reversed that nicely. Those 2 guys each make at least twice the money I did AND picked up some sponsership......there's a clue there biggrin.gif.

Goodyear no longer makes those tires. They are going with AVONs @ $450 a pop.

Good luck, that is a tough road to hoe.
nolift914
Any new updates or conclusions, I am getting ready to get a new set of tires for my xp 914.
Woody
QUOTE(nolift914 @ Jun 9 2014, 03:21 PM) *

Any new updates or conclusions, I am getting ready to get a new set of tires for my xp 914.

I haven't run this month yet. Look at post #65, that was my most recent event and my current thoughts on the tires. If you are running a clutch type LSD I think they would be perfect. In the next month or so I am going to be getting a Wavetrack TBD and will let y'all know what I think. I think that may solve my problems. I am getting Lasik on thursday so money is going to be a little bit tight for the next few weeks.
Woody
I raised the tire pressures one pound to 19 cold and the car felt much better. I didn't seem to lose drive on exit like before. We got temporarily kicked off our main lot and had to use a smaller one. This lot felt much grippier so that may have had something to do with it.

SASCA #6: http://youtu.be/u-cwLXQKpSE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.