Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Excited Newbie Blues"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Larmo63
Building a new engine…...Click to view attachment
Socalandy
Cool, You'll like it from what you were running before. I did a 2056 in my 72 with 44 webers aktion035.gif

Larmo63
I've done so many small projects on the car too, the 1.7 is running pretty good right now. I like to drive my car, and not have it in the garage on jack(ass)stands. I'm going to do the suspension stuff first, then the motor/transmission. That is the plan of attack. I have all the stock style sway bars ready to install too, and all I need is time,a few more parts, help from Colin, (ahh-hemmm) and a few weekends to do the suspension. Bruce Stone has been a great asset and friend.

At this time last year, I knew nothing about 914s. Funny, I saw a kid stop at the gas station while I was gassing up one day and we talked about his car. He wanted $3K for it. A month later, March 2, 2014, I bought this yellow '73 1.7.

I'm geeked on it.
Larmo63
I need torque values for oil cooler, fan shroud, and fan….anybody?
euro911
This should help confused24.gif

Metric Bolt Torque Table. Estimated with clamp load as 75% of proof load as specified in ISO 898-1 Click here
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 22 2015, 06:05 PM) *

I need torque values for oil cooler, fan shroud, and fan….anybody?

From the factory manual:

Cooling blower impeller bolts: M8; 19.6 NM, 2.0 mkg, 14.5 lb-ft
Bolt for blower impeller hub: M8; 31.4 NM, 3.2 mkg, 23.1 lb-ft

The oil cooler studs are M6, and the cooler is relatively fragile. I wouldn't go over 10 lb-ft for those. Probably more like 8 lb-ft, actually.

The fan shroud retaining studs I recall being M8, so I'd say about 15 lb-ft. The bolts (? screws?) that hold the fan shroud together I think were M6, so about 10 lb-ft for those.

--DD
Larmo63
Thanks guys. I found a few of these online too. Putting the engine back together again is a bit of a puzzle.
Larmo63
Constructed my engine and put the tin on and……
Larmo63
I think I have it figured out now…..

Click to view attachment

Lawrence
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
914bub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 21 2015, 10:38 PM) *

Building a new engine…...Click to view attachment

OT but any pics of the Harley? Looks like black plates. Must be old n cool.
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 24 2015, 07:33 PM) *

I think I have it figured out now…..

Click to view attachment

Lawrence

Nice!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 24 2015, 04:32 PM) *

Constructed my engine and put the tin on and……

Did you get the oil cooler support on without taking the tin back off?

--DD
euro911
I was just gonna say sad.gif
Larmo63
Left side tin came back off. Bracket on.

Why doesn't my back tin fit down snugly on the bell housing? Are there two different styles? The two clips that are supposed to "clip" onto it are sitting proud of it now. Weird.

What do people use for a too short thermostat wire? Anybody got one for me?

I'm not running heat, does anybody make block-off tin plates for the heater hose openings?
euro911
The rear tin just fit that way dry.gif ... You just have to get it to fit the best you can.

I use some rubber tubing caps if not running heater hoses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.