Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First 914 build... V8 twin turbo SBC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Andyrew
Something to consider for the exhaust..

Search Chris Julian, his old 914 v8 had a wicked exhaust setup.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=444416

You could do a 8-2-1. If you did a twin scroll turbo you could separate it properly at the turbo mount.. But you really dont need the extra spool up time... (It would let you go even bigger in the turbo and run lower boost levels... aka keep the heat even lower)
beam944

sounds weak....http://youtu.be/xhyxFAA5N84
beam944
http://youtu.be/KO0Ls9I6E5U

First pull no tune 160hp ... weakkkkkkkkkk
beam944
IPB Image
Dave_Darling
160 ain't bad from a 1.6 liter that originally made 108 HP...

Might get more without the CEL on... wink.gif

--DD
beam944
Converting to the obd1 was not my doing...hence the MIL light... also...VTEC did not come in as shown by the graph being so smooth...alot of parts to be thrown at it and on zero tune...i agree 160 aint shabby the engine is actually the allusive D16A VTEC...yes they did make one ... very rare and not worth the headache for 118 hp stock ... I imagine getting the VTEC operational will free up some ponies..maybe one or two..lol
beam944
BUT IM READY TO START THE 914 BUILD!!!!!! So may have to put the little red huffer to the side for a bit
beam944
Andyrew...winner! winner ! Chicken Dinner! ...lol
Andyrew
Congrats! Great number for a non vtec run. You wont get vtech to kick in with a CEL.

I chased CEL's for days when I swapped the head on my CRX Si before I sold it. Twas a great car, but the chassis was so weak and worn that it just didnt meet my standards for a daily... I felt like I would get pretty hurt in an accident.
beam944
This car is a Frankenstein... 1996 Japan D16A VTEC ...no mini me here ... p91 vtec ecu .... 91 civic harness... have some gremlins to chase, but i am curious what vtec will add to the hp numbers...
beam944
Just picked up someones fresh build that stopped before they even cranked...and I watched it being built... $800
IPB Image
It will be for sale after build, i'm only using it to shake the car down and for fitment
Dr Evil
Ditch the 901. It will disappoint and blow. However, if you choose not to heed my warning, I am here for ya wink.gif

Enjoying the progress.
beam944
Seats just arrived! Thanks again 914itis!
beam944
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 26 2014, 07:19 PM) *

Ditch the 901. It will disappoint and blow. However, if you choose not to heed my warning, I am here for ya wink.gif

Enjoying the progress.

What transmission would you recommend?
Dr Evil
At a minimum a 930 which will take money to make work. A G50 would be better, and take money to make work. A Pantera ZF would be a decent one as it is built to bolt to a V8. The best would be a Medeola as it would be purpose built and would not compromise the power you have. No use having a big gun if you are too weak to shoot it.

http://mendeolamotors.com/trans-proto/

Spend as much if not more on the transmission or the engine performance is worthless.
messix
research audi transaxles in kit cars. it's been done and they supposedly can take some power.
Andyrew
QUOTE(beam944 @ Apr 25 2014, 03:26 PM) *

Just picked up someones fresh build that stopped before they even cranked...and I watched it being built... $800
IPB Image
It will be for sale after build, i'm only using it to shake the car down and for fitment

Probably gonna need to flip that turbo and intake around. That inlet is about where the passenger seat back normally sits.

Dr Evil
While the Audi may take the power, the gearing may suck. It will always be either money or trade-offs.
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 30 2014, 12:09 AM) *

While the Audi may take the power, the gearing may suck. It will always be either money or trade-offs.

What is the gearing of an Audi tranny?

Seems there is a lot of support for the Subaru transmission with 2wd conversions and loads of turbo power being pushed through those trannies, with success.
messix
torque is the killer
Andyrew
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 29 2014, 09:09 PM) *

There are 6 speeds and there are diesel trani's available over seas that are much better. Overall its a better trani solution than any of the 915/930 boxes.
Dr Evil
agree.gif The Porsche boxes are all geared high. I wonder if a diesel box would work. How hard to get?
Andyrew
Well the diesel cars are getting older and being parted more and more now, so it should be easier than 5 years ago..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-VW-2-5l-TDI-1...=item3f34051ffc
andys
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 30 2014, 11:35 AM) *

Well the diesel cars are getting older and being parted more and more now, so it should be easier than 5 years ago..

That Ebay transaxle is a 012 5 speed, which is common here in the US.

I have an Audi (TDI) 01E 6 speed in my LS1 conversion. Yes, first gear is short, but it works well for me since my driveway entering the garage is rather steep. The rest of the raios are quite good, with 2400RPM @ 70MPH in 6th. Strength wise I can't say, but the GT40 replica guys in OZ claim they run 500HP SBF without issue.

Andys
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 30 2014, 11:35 AM) *

Ebay UK has better deals on gearboxes for TDI Audi's and VW's

I have an 012, 5 speed setup with 108mm flanges (930 CV's) that I will sell cheap. It's setup to use a standard Boxster shifter and cables. I'm running it on my 350hp Audi motor but I'm switching back to my 6 speed in a couple weeks. driving.gif
Dr Evil
Are there gearing options for the Audi boxes? I would be willing to regear one for some one if they sent it to me with parts. No charge, looking for experience. Already peeped the guts a long time ago and they are easy like the 901.
Andyrew
Why yes... There are many different gear ratio's...

Andyrew
Note: "Audi Gear Ratios" spreadsheet has 2 tabs.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 30 2014, 05:35 PM) *

Why yes... There are many different gear ratio's...

The DUK code has good V8 ratios and can be had for less than $200 on ebay UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-audi-passat-a...=item3a8f7ac1a0

speed metal army
I emailed "Subaru Gears" about using a subie Trans. Seems 100% doable, but is pricey.
I think Doc Evil should come up with the Audi fix and sell the whole shebang as a kit.
Id buy one yesterday.
beam944
Wow...you guys been busy...lol...jut getting in from my shop.been a long week and have a lot to finish before this weekend. Andyrew...I have decided I will make my own intake...carbon fiber...exhaust will be an 8-1 straight to a single t4 flange and so on...the motor in the pic above is my test one to put in the 914 while the 283 is being built...I hear you guys talking about Audi and Subaru tranny's...are they strong enough for 5-600hp 4-500tq?
I have also gone down the rabbit hole of a flat plane 180 degree crank...as I am a compcams dealer I thought it appropriate to ask myvrep about having a can made...well let's just say if you don't need 20 of them made at once it's like giraffe ass....way up there. $2500...Bryant crankshafts can do the crank...about $4500...so flat plane dream has taken off without me. But I did purchase a nice tig today and should have it by next week!
Andyrew
Carbon fiber intake, as in intake manifold? Ya... Dont do that. If you want to go crazy with fabrication go aluminum. If your panning on intake from the turbo to the intake then sure whatever floats your boat. I prefer steel/aluminum/rubber.

Subaru/Audi tranis can handle some serious HP, but torque is the killer which is why you need to do what you can to keep displacement small and keep the HP way up top.

If you can build that 283 to rev to 9k do it. There are plenty of 6-700WHP drag subaru's and audi's. I know specifically of a very fast 650whp Audi that runs a $200 transmission. I believe he's on his 5th transmission (4th gear is weak) but he does ~ 30 drag passes a year for the past 12 years...

messix
look for a L99 4.3 v8 from a min '90 caprice, looks just like a lt1.

grab the crank and rods [rods are longer than 350 engine and will put the small end in the right spot for the 350 pistons] out of that and use a 4" bore block with standard 350 pistons. the cranks are nodular iron and the rods are powdered metal, plenty strong to make 500/500 and light enough with a good balance to spin 7k rpm easy.

you now have a 302 ci sbc

short stroke large bore to use good flowing heads and will still look period correct.

beam944
Thanks for the advice...the plenum of the intake is what I'm speaking of...not the actual manifold...thinking of a stealth ram or something similar and making my own plenum that actually turns a bit since the headers will be coming up and over where the distributor should be...I will be going coil packs so distributor will not be an issue. I plan a lot before I start a project...plan,dream...and what falls into place and comes to fruition maybe different than the inception of an idea but that's what keeps me going and drives me to be different. I love the sound of Italian supercars and the style and design that goes into them...it is like art and for me, I just go in the moment when it happens and if can group all my ideas into a build ... Awesome. I haven't been this excited about a project in quite some time, if you knew my friends they would tell you...He is a dreamer that lives in his dreams everyday...positive is his M.O. ...and he has a horseshoe up his ass. smile.gif
beam944
QUOTE(messix @ May 1 2014, 01:13 AM) *

grab the crank and rods [rods are longer than 350 engine and will put the small end in the right spot for the 350 pistons] out of that and use a 4" bore block with standard 350 pistons. the cranks are nodular iron and the rods are powdered metal, plenty strong to make 500/500 and light enough with a good balance to spin 7k rpm easy.

short stroke large bore to use good flowing heads and will still look period correct.

Nice... But I already have my foundation...283 punched out to a 301 ...is essentially a dz 302... Guys have been spinning them to 9000 for a long time and hold up well...but get this ... Do you know you can build a 283 with a 2.6 " stroke... Jessel will be in the top end ...all forged internals.. Rods ...well carillo of course..lol
messix
QUOTE(beam944 @ Apr 30 2014, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ May 1 2014, 01:13 AM) *

Nice... But I already have my foundation...283 punched out to a 301 ...is essentially a dz 302... Guys have been spinning them to 9000 for a long time and hold up well...but get this ... Do you know you can build a 283 with a 2.6 " stroke... Jessel will be in the top end ...all forged internals.. Rods ...well carillo of course..lol

no it's not..... you would be using the small journal crank not quite as strong even though it a steel crank.

but you're down in nascar land where unusual parts and pieces are common so must have a 283 cut for a large crank. I'm not sure what the does to the block webs in strength.

2.6 crank ? wow that's gonna take a fancy cam spec to get it to breath on a 4" bore and available heads. even under boost.

just thinking here.... very short stroke, gonna need a long rod, don't want a long piston skirt to heavy, might go with a small rod journal to lighten the rods up, excellent rod to stroke ratio could get away with very short piston skirt.

8.5k to 9.5k rpm if the valve train can get light enough, nascar sbc canted vavle engines don't have much in common with street engines any more, spendy valves and springs...

you must not be married or have kids!
beam944
I am married and have three kids smile.gif
beam944
IPB Image
beam944
IPB Image
My wife will kill me for posting these...
beam944
Goodnight all...got to get up in 4 and a half hours...lol
beam944
From Crower..

IPB Image
beam944
messix....you are spot on
messix
9k-10krpm out of a 283 is what the drag guys were getting..... I wouldn't bet on expecting one to last long for any repeated and extended time.

I'm on board with the small displacement and stroke engine for a v8 conversion, I've been working on getting parts and pieces to do a ls1 block with 4.8 crank.

I have a pretty good chunk of my paycheck going to my ex for child support so using stock parts and finding deals is just the waiting game. the ls1 blocks are over valued so I might end up going with a 5.3 alloy block. those are hard to find but much less $$.

the allure of a all aluminum ls motor that could make 400-500 hp N/A pretty easily is just too hard to resist.
beam944
I completely understand... And yes guys were dragging them...but also short track guys up north were building them and running power glides and only first gear! Most ppl don't know a power glide can handle 14000
Evil914
QUOTE(messix @ May 1 2014, 05:31 PM) *

9k-10krpm out of a 283 is what the drag guys were getting..... I wouldn't bet on expecting one to last long for any repeated and extended time.

I'm on board with the small displacement and stroke engine for a v8 conversion, I've been working on getting parts and pieces to do a ls1 block with 4.8 crank.

I have a pretty good chunk of my paycheck going to my ex for child support so using stock parts and finding deals is just the waiting game. the ls1 blocks are over valued so I might end up going with a 5.3 alloy block. those are hard to find but much less $$.

the allure of a all aluminum ls motor that could make 400-500 hp N/A pretty easily is just too hard to resist.

Seems like I saw a brand new either 4.3 or 5.3 block on ebay a month back for something like 2 or 3 hundred,seemed like a steal to me.I don't know much about that series of motors though.I've got a dz302 with Comp cams roller solid lifter and roller rockers that hits 7500 rpm easy.It has destroyed two 901 trannys but that was from pilot error (read like trying to stay next to Viper in 0 to 100 sprint). Big sticky tires don't help matters either,the 901 doesn't accept any abuse.Thinking about a Cayman S six speed. confused24.gif
beam944
I am definitely looking at all options... I will look into that as well..ty
andys
QUOTE(messix @ May 1 2014, 06:31 PM) *

I had a similar plan until a complete low mileage LS1 came across my path (Z28 pull-out). LS1 with a 4.8L crank/rods works out to 312 cu. in, if memory serves me correctly. I do recall the Renegade Hybrids built such a motor.

With all that RPM you are considering, the money will be spent on the valve train. If you're in a pinch for $$, perhaps you should consider a stock 4.8L LSx. Plenty of them in the truck salvage yards for cheap, and the weight penalty is only 63lbs vs. the alloy block.

Andys
beam944
QUOTE(andys @ May 4 2014, 11:07 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ May 1 2014, 06:31 PM) *

I had a similar plan until a complete low mileage LS1 came across my path (Z28 pull-out). LS1 with a 4.8L crank/rods works out to 312 cu. in, if memory serves me correctly. I do recall the Renegade Hybrids built such a motor.

With all that RPM you are considering, the money will be spent on the valve train. If you're in a pinch for $$, perhaps you should consider a stock 4.8L LSx. Plenty of them in the truck salvage yards for cheap, and the weight penalty is only 63lbs vs. the alloy block.

Andys

The wife has ok'd me to build!! I have to start before she changes her mind...lol
bulitt
In that case there is a 700hp Nascar truck engine on WSalem craigslist! Cost the guy 46,000$ but for you today 12,600$ lol-2.gif
beam944
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 5 2014, 06:53 PM) *

In that case there is a 700hp Nascar truck engine on WSalem craigslist! Cost the guy 46,000$ but for you today 12,600$ lol-2.gif

Tired of the same ole same ole... heard enough nascar engines to not want one... I want to be different. I like the challenge of the unknown... and think the sound will set it apart from all the others. May just go Kurplunk Boom... but I think positive and think it will be awesome
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.