Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Caliper Rebuild Service
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Pages: 1, 2
Eric_Shea
Pricing and caliper descriptions in this thread are old.

See this thread for accurate photos of the product and pricing:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=112014

REAR BRAKE CALIPER REBUILD SERVICE

A stock 914 brake system was state of the art for it's day and still to be revered today... if it's working properly. Are your rear calipers doing their job? Are they even working at all? When was the last time you set your venting clearance? Do you know if your pistons are frozen or not?

It seems as though these 30 plus year old 914?s are chewing up and spitting out their rear calipers at an alarming rate. Because of the unique integrated hand-brake assembly, the ATE 914 caliper is a tricky little animal to rebuild. There are springs and clips and little sausage shaped things in there. If fumbling around with this kind of stuff isn't your ?cup of tea? then I have something for you. I offer a caliper rebuild service. Here's what you get:

* Complete disassembly to bare core.
* Removal of stuck or frozen pistons.
* Replating of caliper cores.
* Replating of all fasteners
* Polishing of pistons.
* Cleaning and reconditioning piston tops with high-temp paint.
* New factory seals and dust covers throughout.
* New inner adjuster gear cover.
* Reassembly with pistons in proper position.

Pricing is $349.00 per pair ($174.50 each) plus core and shipping. We only sell these in pairs. These calipers carry an exclusive 10-YEAR WARRANTY **UPDATE** Shipping is now a flat $20.00 for Priority Mail to anywhere in the continental United States. For international orders you can still use the USPS link. Boxed weight is 16lbs. You can calculate postage from 84107 using this site USPS Shipping Calculator then click the button below to purchase now.

If you'd like to know more about the process or want to try it yourself, here's a thread for those Do-It-Yourselfers

PMB Performance - 372 W. Winchester. - Murray - UT - 84107
Call 855-STOP-101, 855-786-7101

Check Them Out Here!

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
REMOVAL PDF

I've put together a PDF file to assist you in the removal of your rear calipers and to get them ready for shipment.
Eric_Shea
INSTALLATION PDF

Here's the sheet I send out with rebuilt calipers. You can download to preview or to assist in your installation.
morph
im done f*@kin with em.im a pretty smart guy just done doing rear brakes.ill be sending you two pair of rears,in a week.What is the return time,also since im sending you two pair do i get any break ?are they Guaranteed?or warrented? pm when you get a chance ill throw the calipers in a box with a check when i get info from ya.
james
appearance & performance
Carlitos Way
Eric does great work. I've got a set of his rear calipers. KUDOS!
Rhodes71/914
Eric's calipers are top notch. Just got a pair from him today and they are like new.

Highly recommend smilie_pokal.gif

Sean
datapace
I also ordered a set from Eric. They are beautiful, almost too nice to drive the car, I think I'll leave it up on jackstands so I can admire them!

Thanks, Eric, for providing this valuable service for the community!

-bryan
MattR
Do you powdercoat on request?
neo914-6
Nice!, I guess it's too late to send them back for coating... laugh.gif

Just kidding, the S calipers look great in natural aluminum...

Eric_Shea
Don't you dare paint those! ohmy.gif

Post a picture of them if you can. I was so rushed to get them out the door to you I didn't get a picture. wink.gif
morph
those wouldnt happen to be mine eric?cause those are pretty wub.gif
james
my porsches thank you !
Eric_Shea
Those be yours... wink.gif

All your parts are at the platers so, although the brakes are basically done, I'll have to wait a week to slap them together. beerchug.gif

Let me know when you're ready to ship the rest of the parts. We damaged more adjusters getting pistons out but... whew, we finally got all the pistons out. smash.gif
morph
got em today.FABULOUS work look like new the red coating works out well.looks like a ford red ,my fronts are more of a gm red ill just repaint the front but great stuff.
james appearance & performance
Eric_Shea
Thanks James, wink.gif

Let me know if you want the rest of that paint.
tat2dphreak
how long does it take you to turn this around?

do you need spare cores? I got 2-3 pairs and I only need 1 good pair...
Eric_Shea
Hi Wayne,

I should be able to turn them around in a day. I always need cores.

Let me know how you want to proceed. wink.gif
tat2dphreak
cool Eric, I'll probably be sending you one (spare) set real soon... here's the deal that had me in a f'n panic (which I'm going to cross post over in the "garage" too):

I was trying to get my PB working today... but one of my calipers wasn't releasing at all... like the spring wasn't doing anything... I was very confused... so I pulled the caliper off, and still couldn't figure it out... finally my buddy said, "dude, what's supposed to be pushing against this spring... turns out the pin that the spring pulls against was SHEARED off even with the metal on the caliper.. I thought the caliper was a goner... I called 2 very knowledgeable local people, and they had never seen anything like it, and thought the pin would be too hard to drill out... since no one had a local set that was good, I posted here, and I decided to try anyway... the drill worked like a champ!! I pulled a pin out of on of my spare sets... and put the spring on right... the PB works like a champ now!!

I'll probably send you the 2-3 "spare parts" calipers to work your magic on, then send the 2 I'm actually using later.. so I can get it inspected soon... altough if you are turning them around THAT damn fast... you may beat me to it!! I'll let you know ASAP.
Eric_Shea
Yup,

If anyone else has this problem, buy a fairly cheap 5/32" metal bit and drill out the broken pin (use a drill press if possible to keep it on track). Once the hole is drilled out, cut off the bit and JB weld the bottom in the hole.

Let me know when you're ready.

E.
Eric_Shea
Here's a silver matched set. We also do fronts now.

Eric_Shea
We also do 914-6 and 914-6/GT calipers.

If you're a do-it-yourselfer and need the rare NLA 914-6 rebuild kits, we have them. Call for price and availability.
double-a
how much to do the fronts in the silver, or did i miss that? i'm thinking of doing all four calipers at once...

~a
Eric_Shea
Hi Aaron,

$349 for the fronts as well.

Thanks!
Grimstead
Hi Eric,
Are you still looking for rear cores? confused24.gif I've been thinking about using your service and I have an extra set of rears that I would like to use to offset the cost.
Thanks,
Bill

PS, I really like that silver!
w00t.gif
Eric_Shea
Hey Bill,

I'm always looking. I've got a bunch of rear cores at this time but...

You can send them along and we can determine a price. The problem I'm running into is the quality of the returns I've been getting. I'd have to say that 80-90% need almost $60.00 in parts (read: new adjusters). I'm looking at possibly changing the pricing structure but it's a tough decision.

Let me know what you've got... I've got a batch going to the platers today. I can request silver wink.gif
Grimstead
Good Morning Eric,
I totally understand about the cores, I am really looking for a ballpark figure (best case/worst case). If you have some going to the platers, I would love to be in that batch but I don't think I can get the calipers off and in the mail until Thursday at the latest. As for the extra set I have, I can box them up as well and trust your decision (I have no problem with that). How should we proceed?
Bill
rocking nana.gif

I really don't know why, but I'm kinda hooked on that rockin banana
Eric_Shea
OK Rockin Banana Guy, biggrin.gif

I'll get an extra set plated in Silver in this next batch.

E. smilie_pokal.gif
Grimstead
Well then, it looks like I have some shipping to do! mueba.gif

PS, I don't know how big Sandy is but I have a friend that used to have a record store there about 10-15 years ago (he has since relocated to SLC 'Heavy Metal Shop').
Marv's3.6six
Eric
I have an odd question for you, I have the stock 914-6 ATE rear brake calipers and would like to upgrade them to the GT version, aka the later 911 style for the thicker vented "rotors."
Can you source the spacer plate, thats bolted between the caliper halves, and do the rebuild at the same time?
Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanx Marv. huh.gif
Eric_Shea
Yes... wink.gif
Marv's3.6six
How much? blink.gif
Eric_Shea
Marv,

You have a rebuild/GT build quote PM'd to you. Let me know if you want to move forward as we'll need to get your spacers.

E.
Grimstead
icon_bump.gif

They are on their way.....
Thanks again Eric!
Bill
mueba.gif mueba.gif rocking nana.gif
ConeDodger
Eric,
Just got my like new rebuilt front calipers today. These are a thing of beauty. As I have said before, I really appreciate someone with your skill who is willing to work on these old cars. My rear calipers will be the next project. Your the best and thanks again...
Rob
Eric_Shea
Thanks Rob smilie_pokal.gif

Glad they made it OK.
SLKWrx
So what are we talking about if I want to get them powdercoated red as well? All 4 of mine need one heck of a rebuild. Is it a lot more for the powdercoating? Does the original price give you the choice of either a gold or a silver coating?

-- Steve
SLKWrx
Ok.. thats just too funny. Though brake cleaner is some harsh stuff. Anyways, as soon as I get the calipers off the car, I'll be sending them over to you.. its on jackstands anyways, so its not like its going to roll away smile.gif

We'll be in touch.
-- Steve
914werke
Eric how about S calipers? rebuild..SS pistons? Plateing?
Eric_Shea
We do rebuild S-Calipers. Felix posted some pictures of his in this thread. They've changed a bit since then. We carry our exclusive "DuroAno" pistons for those. "Most" S-caliper pistons I've seen have a characteristic rust pattern where the plated piston sits against the seal (picture included).

Prices start at $699.00 and go up from there (Pistons = $100.00 for a set with a restoration).

Here's our Early S-Caliper Page

Here's our Late S-Caliper Page

Here's a link to our pistons
Eric_Shea
Felix posted some pictures of his in this thread.

Well I thought it was this thread... guess it was a different one.

Here they are:
ConeDodger
Eric,
We have a problem. I got the set of rear calipers you sent this morning and bolted them up. I stood back and walked around the car. All four wheels are off and it is up on jack stands. I looked at the front calipers you sent a few weeks ago and then walked to the back and looked at the new rears. After repeating this a few times... front... back... I have found that they look so good I am unable to put the wheels back on and cover them up. I am sure that this has been a problem in the past. What do you suggest? I have 2.0 liter Fuchs and they cover the calipers too much. I am stuck. I love these things and I haven't even found out if they will stop the car! Please don't make me put the wheels back on!!!

All tongue-in-cheek aside these are beautiful. You are an asset to the 914 community. Thank you so much.

Rob
double-a
get some good mahles, they have more holes for caliper look-see wink.gif

~a
Eric_Shea
Somebody had an avatar with a bicycle rim biggrin.gif

Thanks smilie_pokal.gif

Glad they made it safe and sound.

E.
Eric_Shea
Thanks to all my customers. beerchug.gif

Please remove the bleeders when shipping calipers so I don't have to biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
This happens more often then you'd think...
scottz0369
I'm a satisfied customer!
I called on Monday night after working hours, got a call right back and explained my explaination.
Eric stayed late that night to rebuild a set for me and get them out tuesday morning before he went on vacation. Calipers got here on Thursday, put on that night, and now I'm ready to road trip on Sunday!

Thanks!

Scott

PS-old calipers will be on the way next week!

Eric_Shea
Thanks Scott... how was the trip?
eds72
Hi Eric. I hope to buy the rear hub conversion and front rotors soon for my 72. Quick question...I have a set of American Eagle 15x6's that I was gonna use on my car, but my uncle needs those for his 5 lug VW Super Beetle because his genuine 14 x 6's rub the ball joint. Will my uncles' 14x6's work on my 914 without any clearance problems?. What size were the 914-6 rims originally?.

Thanks. I'll be in touch with you soon.

Eddie.
DanT
914-6 had fuchs in size 6x14
Stove burners (Mahles) in 5.5x15 and
steelies in size 5.5x15

Remember that Beetles and 914s have different offset requirements

I believe these are the correct sizes.
eds72
Thanks for the response. I just have to make sure my 15 x6's will fit his car. I may have to find some 15x5.5's for the fronts of his super beetle.
Eric_Shea
I believe the comfort group Fuchs alloys (which "most" 914-6's came with) are 14x5.5

You souldn't have any problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.