Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dip your 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
r_towle
are you using any gloss?

I was going to buy a small kit and do a hood or door, just so I can see what it looks like, how it works etc.

I want to play with the gloss, the pearls and metal flakes.
stugray
I was also considering doing my race car graphics and numbers with plasti-dip.

I got bashed when I mentioned it on the BRZ forum for wheels.
I thought that if you couldnt decide what colors you wanted on the wheels, plistidip them for $40 before blowing $500 on powder coat.

If you like it peel it off and have it PCed.
If you dont like it, peel it off and try another color.
r_towle
QUOTE(stugray @ May 15 2014, 02:56 PM) *

I thought that if you couldnt decide what colors you wanted on the wheels, plistidip them for $40 before blowing $500 on powder coat.

race wheels should always be plastic coat....
they get trashed...
Alphaogre
The crazy part, especially for the race guys, is that it does not weigh much more then paint. I saw an article where the guys from dip your car.com pulled all the multiple layers he had on his S4 and weighed it, and it was surprising how light it was. There are a few threads on the dipyourcar forum that he posts allot of his information on.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 15 2014, 11:24 AM) *

are you using any gloss?

I was going to buy a small kit and do a hood or door, just so I can see what it looks like, how it works etc.

I want to play with the gloss, the pearls and metal flakes.

I have seen the gloss product (glossifier, they call it) and If you ask me it works just OK. It definitely has more shine than regular plasti-dip but plasti-dip doesn't have any to begin with. It won't be completely flat like paint, to me it looked somewhat like very small dimpled orange peel. They have come a long way with plasti-dip products so I wouldn't be surprised if they refine it even more and it gets better.
john77
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 15 2014, 12:09 PM) *

they get trashed...

Surprised that was the reaction of the BRZ folks, my daily's a 2002 WRX and the guys on the Subaru forum I occasionally frequent - which is hands down the worst car forum for trolling I've ever been on - love this stuff.

I did my wheels matte black with the rattle can 15 months ago and it's held up amazingly.

To anyone that's used the sprayer, I plan to do my Fuchs full black this month, is it worth getting the sprayer or would you think for a job that size it won't make much difference?
chads74
QUOTE(john77 @ May 15 2014, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 15 2014, 12:09 PM) *

they get trashed...

Surprised that was the reaction of the BRZ folks, my daily's a 2002 WRX and the guys on the Subaru forum I occasionally frequent - which is hands down the worst car forum for trolling I've ever been on - love this stuff.

I did my wheels matte black with the rattle can 15 months ago and it's held up amazingly.

To anyone that's used the sprayer, I plan to do my Fuchs full black this month, is it worth getting the sprayer or would you think for a job that size it won't make much difference?

I wouldn't buy the sprayer for just a set of wheels, cans would be better. I could see the spray gun getting in the way when trying to get to all the small corners of certain wheels.
bulitt
Thought of a good use for Pdip. (no not a rappers name).
Going to spray a couple of welding magnets with it. I usually wrap the magnets in a plastic shopping bag but ultimately they accumulate shavings. And those things are a pita when stuck in your finger. Figure I will still use the plastic bag but maybe once a year peel the Pdip. beerchug.gif
john77
Okay, here we go, did my front wheels today using 4 coats of black and then 4 coats of the glossifier (both from a can). Pretty happy with the results, they have that just powder coated shine to them right now. Will be interesting to see how the gloss holds up once it's fully dry, it's still a bit rubbery/tacky to the touch right now.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
Figured I'd revive this post....

I parked next to this guy 2 times this weekend. Friday night then on Saturday afternoon, 30 miles from the 1st place.

Not sure but I think it is the DIP-YOUR-PORSCHE paint job. Looked awesome.

Clark

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

matthepcat
Too bad California ruined it for a west coast by imposing laws about shipping gallon size dip into this state.

Pretty sure we are out of luck out here....
7TPorsh
too clean for dip...I think it's a vinyl wrap
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.