Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dip your 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
malcolm2
Dip Your Car website

Some guys at work have done this on their truck wheels. Looks awesome. This site also shows equipment, etc....

I have seen this forum talk about the vinyl wraps, but not much about dipping, maybe I just missed it.

Seems cool. I am going to look into dipping my 85 VW Cabriolet. Looks like crap now, what can it hurt.

Word is Rustoleum has a product too. I believe it is at hardware stores, like Home Depot.

ericoneal
I dipped my scuffed up trim in black. Looks great against orange and if I dont like it, I can peel it off. Also nice because I can leave alot of the trim on, tape it off and spray, then peel off any overspray.

Would be fun to do the whole car.
Krieger
My son and I did the wheels on his truck a few months back in black with the spray and it came out nice.
green914
I have an old set of wheels I will try it on. smile.gif
biosurfer1
I have played with plasti-dip a lot and it really is the future. Easy application, overspray is no big deal, they have all sorts of adders now for shine, matte, pearl, etc...and if you don't like it, peel it off and start again.

chads74
I just dipped mine last weekend. Flex Blue from dipyourcar.com turned out pretty good and was pretty easy to spray.

Click to view attachment
chads74
Another angle...

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
The paint on my '84 Vanagon looks a lot like that, and it cost me nothing. Easy to do, too. I just left it parked in the sun for 10 years.

The Cap'n
scotty b
strip it with easy off...plasti dip it. 914's Fo lyfe mutha fuchas !!!

mellow.gif
SLITS
So that what was in JRust's long!
biosurfer1
Sure is better than a $5000+ paint job ruined by some rock kicked up by the lowered Honda Civic with a turbo charged lawnmower engine in it smile.gif
Chris914n6
I looked into this recently as I wanted my car a little more presentable at WCR.

Rustoleum warns to remove their stuff within 3 months or it becomes hard to remove. It's not really in the same paint category.

Plastidip works really well for a temp paint job. With the pearls and metallic adders mixed in the clear you can get pretty spiffy results. It's a good way to test out a color change, or change colors every year.

Lowes stocks a few more colors in spray cans since HomeDepot switched to the Rustoleum.

ericoneal
Chads74,

Did you use the kit and sprayer from dipyourcar? How many galloons?
74-914-1.8
You could always Line-X your car. Off-roading guys have been doing their trucks and Jeeps for a while. I just recently saw a new Camaro and Mustang with matched color Line-X schemes. Oddly enough they looked really good.
chads74
QUOTE(ericoneal @ May 13 2014, 11:13 AM) *

Chads74,

I bought three gallons and the sprayer, and ended up only using two gallons. I could have used more, but felt I had enough product on the car.
JRust
QUOTE(chads74 @ May 13 2014, 12:38 PM) *

Chads74,

I bought three gallons and the sprayer, and ended up only using two gallons. I could have used more, but felt I had enough product on the car.

How much did it cost?
malcolm2
QUOTE(chads74 @ May 13 2014, 02:38 PM) *

Chads74,

Does DIPYOURCAR consider this to be temporary? I was wondering about the fact that they say it "comes off easily", would that mean that it comes off? blink.gif Is it repairable, like if you got a scratch or ding, just touch it up, or peel it off and do the whole panel?

Your car does look better than some Youtube Fails that used the can. The sprayer seems to be the key for large areas. Rattle can might be ok for wheels, or other small areas.

biosurfer1
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 13 2014, 01:13 PM) *

Does DIPYOURCAR consider this to be temporary? I was wondering about the fact that they say it "comes off easily", would that mean that it comes off? blink.gif Is it repairable, like if you got a scratch or ding, just touch it up, or peel it off and do the whole panel?

They say temporary in that it's not permanent, it can be removed but it won't just fall off or anything. If some comes off like a rock chip or something, you can simply spray more and it will fix the problem. No need to peel everything off and start over.
wndsnd
It does not mask well.

They want you to do 3-4 coats for coverage with 1/2 hour inbetween but pull mask off wet.

John
Alphaogre
My brother has done his FX35 a couple couple time in different colors and has not had any issues. I did my wheels and trim in the black. The gallons used through the spray gun come off easier and is more durable then what you get when you buy the cans at Home Depot or Pep boys. I was thinking of doing the clear satin on my 914 to cover the pain I just had done.

I know the more layers you apply the easier it peels off. On my brothers car he had a ding, we pulled the dip all off his door and just reshot that section. He applied about 5 to 6 coats. We didn't have any issues and he parks and keeps his car outside.
ericoneal
Would be interesting to see if it also repels potentially new areas of rust in the long term. I may have to dip mine this Fall. I would like to have a temporarily blue 914.
chads74
QUOTE(JRust @ May 13 2014, 11:46 AM) *

QUOTE(chads74 @ May 13 2014, 12:38 PM) *

Chads74,

How much did it cost?

Most of the dips are $60/gallon sprayer was $150 I think. You can use a wagner sprayer from home depot, but I guess the wagner sprayer gets hot after prolonged use and will start making the plastidip spray out partially dry and give unwanted texture. So dip your car designed their own sprayer which stays cooler. At least that is what the guy told me when I stopped by their store in Coral Springs FL.
rdomeck
Yes, guys please use Plastidip on your cars.... It will make mine worth that much more money...

Seriously, why would you put this crap on your car? You with have a poor paint job that your trying to cover up and when/if you remove this stuff it will take half the paint off with it or you have spent good money on paint work and you will more than likely mess that up when you apply/remove this crap.

Do it right, do it once or just don't do it.
cgnj
Hi,
Here is a thread from the 928 list regarding plasti-dip..rennlist He referred to as "cosmetic cosmoline", and that's how I see it. You buy a old car with a ton of deferred maintenance, and it needs paint. This is a cheap non permanent solution that doesn't require a ton of skill to apply and is forgiving of mistakes.

I'm going to try it on my 928.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(rdomeck @ May 14 2014, 07:18 AM) *

Yes, guys please use Plastidip on your cars.... It will make mine worth that much more money...

Seriously, why would you put this crap on your car? You with have a poor paint job that your trying to cover up and when/if you remove this stuff it will take half the paint off with it or you have spent good money on paint work and you will more than likely mess that up when you apply/remove this crap.

Wow, you don't have a damn clue what you're talking about confused24.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ May 14 2014, 10:43 AM) *

agree.gif

Stuff peals right off and it looks like there are a lot of artistic people trying all sorts of cool techniques with pearls and gloss and metal flakes.

Plus, you can change your mind every few years for a lot less money.
rdomeck
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ May 14 2014, 10:43 AM) *

Wow, I guess your right.... I'm an idiot!
biosurfer1
*you're
MoveQik
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ May 14 2014, 08:25 AM) *

*you're

laugh.gif
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 13 2014, 01:18 PM) *

strip it with easy off...plasti dip it. 914's Fo lyfe mutha fuchas !!!

mellow.gif

Fair warning though, Scotty. When you stripped Cairo's -6 this way, you complained of a headache for weeks, no?
bandjoey
Is the finish glossy? Heard u can get it now. Is it hard to the touch or rubberey? Will it fill in door dings and dry level? How closely does it look like Paint? Thanks for the follow up.
Cairo94507
Yeah! And that easy off ain't cheap apparently. hide.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 14 2014, 03:34 PM) *

Yeah! And that easy off ain't cheap apparently. hide.gif

pinch.gif
Alphaogre
It will not cover up scratches dents or imperfections. It really does go on as thin as paint and you need to do multiple coats just like paint. Also like paint, you need to really clean and prep the paint for best results and for it to lay the best. I know you can get a flatt/matte finishes along with a satin which has more of a sheen in the light. After 24 to 48 hours it fully cures and becomes harder, so it then gets more resistant to dings and scratches, so in that regard it can actually protect your paint.
Steve
There are a couple of company's advertising this at Cars&Coffee here in Irvine, California. So far all the cars look like they have oxidized paint on them. I have not seen one yet that looked like a new paint job.
Java2570
It looks as though Dipyourcar.com now has a clear gloss that you can spray over the color layers....
anyone try that out yet?
carr914
QUOTE(rdomeck @ May 14 2014, 10:18 AM) *

Why? Because it beats having your Beater 914 in a Regular Paint shop for 6 Months & then ending up looking Shitty

If you want to talk Shit to Cheap Ass Bastards, you've come to the right place, but be prepared to get Shit On right back!
chads74
QUOTE(Java2570 @ May 14 2014, 03:40 PM) *

It looks as though Dipyourcar.com now has a clear gloss that you can spray over the color layers....
anyone try that out yet?

Correct, I saw it when I was at their store. They had a honda civic sitting out front that had the clear coat on it, I walked right past it and thought it just had a normal paint job on it. After talking to the guy working there I went back out and checked it out. Looked pretty decent, and I think the clear is about the same price as the colors $60/gallon.
rdomeck
Wow... Just Wow!
bandjoey
We're not only cheap but some of us poor. I've been saving for a great paint Job (with me doing the prep) but with kids and bills still can't do it. If it looks half way decent and lasts only a year it's a good $300 well spent.
Mike Bellis
I did my wheels with rattle cans from home depot. I used 1 can per wheel. Make sure your over spray is thick so it pulls off. I removed the wheels when I did it. It was easy the finish lays down nice. I also sprayed the back sides of the spoke and rim. The were chrome, I think they look better now.

Click to view attachment
Krieger
I almost forgot, when I was painting my sons wheels with the Plasti Dip I decided to do the leading edge off my rocker panels. These are fiberglass and took a beating with just paint, so it was not smooth when I put on about 10 coats. This has been through 3 autocrosses and about 190 miles at Buttonwillow Raceway with soft compound tires that throw off tons of gravel. This coating has 600 miles of flat towing down to Buttonwillow and back this past weekend. I didn't expect much and I am glad this thread surfaced so It reminded me to go give a look. Pretty good!
chads74
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 14 2014, 05:16 PM) *

We're not only cheap but some of us poor. I've been saving for a great paint Job (with me doing the prep) but with kids and bills still can't do it. If it looks half way decent and lasts only a year it's a good $300 well spent.

Exactly why I chose to dip instead of paint.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(rdomeck @ May 14 2014, 04:43 PM) *

Wow... Just Wow!

I'm not so sure you're going to like it here.

If you land in the middle of a productive conversation with 25 posts under your belt and immediately declare that anyone who even contemplates using the subject product lacks in intelligence, you are asking for exactly what you have received.

If you have pictures of what you claim, please post them, and you will be taken seriously. Otherwise, you will be perceived as a newbie with an attitude, and I have found that isn't welcome on very many forums, not just here.

This forum is comprised of a lot of great folks who know a hell of a lot but are still interested in discussing new trends and technologies. Coming in new and immediately disparaging the five guys (who have been around much longer than you) who have been happy with the product will only serve to alienate you. From what you have posted, I gather that you have experience in paint. It might be more productive to persuade people if you posted your empirical findings rather than rants and insults.

welcome.png
Justinp71
I also did plasti-dip on my wheels about a year ago and they are still holding up great. I'd be curious how long a car painted with plasti-dip will last, keep us posted!

Also one of my co-workers rattle canned his chevelle satin black (with regular paint) and its lasted him 3 years so far! The satin paint look in general might be a great option for driver quality cars...
carr914
QUOTE(rdomeck @ May 14 2014, 08:43 PM) *

Wow... Just Wow!

Hey did you know Wow spelled backwards is woW? Just wanted to explain it to you since we are all Idiots!
ripper911
This looks like an interesting alternative to an expensive paint job for cars that are driven.

BTW... this forum isn't one where we tend to engage in newbie bashing, even when they ask the same dumb questions that have been covered over and over again. It really does take a purposefully argumentative statement to rile us up.
Bruce Hinds
so - bottom line here is . . . "Where are the pictures of what it looks like after a gloss coat?"
CptTripps
I did the rims on my BMW last year and LOVE it. Easy to remove when you want to. Hard to come off when you don't.

I'm doing my Land Rover in "Anthracite" as soon as the weather turns. I bought 4gal late last year. Spraying it out of a can sucks for a whole car, but with a HVLP gun, it's WAY easy to knock a car out in about 2h. You're driving it in 3h.

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 14 2014, 09:26 PM) *

I did my wheels with rattle cans from home depot. I used 1 can per wheel. Make sure your over spray is thick so it pulls off.

So I get my point across....I'll say this in all caps.

PUT 3-4 MORE COATS THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED! If it's too thin PlastiDip is a royal pain to remove. It comes off in 1" pieces. If you put 6-8 coats on, you can damn-near remove a whole car in one sheet. I did the hood on my land-rover in flat-black to cut the glare (which it did) but I did it too thin, so when I went to remove it, I gave up after an hour. Now it looks like shit.
CptTripps
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 14 2014, 10:47 AM) *

Stuff peals right off and it looks like there are a lot of artistic people trying all sorts of cool techniques with pearls and gloss and metal flakes.

Plus, you can change your mind every few years for a lot less money.

It DOES look cool

...when/if you remove this stuff it will take half the paint off...

Not a chance. I've used in a lot on car doors, rims, and hoods. No paint loss at all., If anything, it pulled "deep down" dirt ourt of scratches and swirly. The best wax job my car ever had was after I pulled the Plasti-Dip off.

Lots of great examples here: https://www.dipyourcar.com/examples.html

Here's the color I'm doing my disco in:
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.