Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pushrod tube "pop"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
I pushed like hell to get the tubes in, but they never "popped" into place like many on here describe. They seem to be tight although they will flex back and forth laterally some if I push and pull on them. Is this normal, or should they be completely immovable?
SHould the outer lip of the tube be flush or inset in the head?

They did 'POP' on the way out...
stugray
The slight pop you feel is the o-ring going over the raised lip you can see in the picture.
If you cant get the tube retainer springs in, then they are not in far enough.

IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
In over 40 years of doing pushrod tube reseals, I've never had them "pop". They just go in. There'll be a change in the "feel" as the seals get past the lip, but that's about it. The big things are to use good seals, lubricate them well, have clean "sockets", and be really careful not to pinch or tear the seals (especially the outer ones) on the way in.

The Cap'n
ericoneal
Thanks guys.
I bought the Viton seals this time and they are MUCH different in feel from the leaky ones that I used last time. Very stiff in comparison.
Was expecting more of an indication when they seated right. They are tight, but I can move them back forth a bit with my hand. I guess they should flex a bit?
Will check the retainer spring tongiht, but the car is on ramps and its hard to see into the heads. Will need to get out my webcam or something...
stugray
Note: When installing the springs, there is a right way (pic I posted first), and a wrong way.

This is wrong:
IPB Image

Install them like this pic, then reach in there and grab that square end of the loop with a dental pick or allen wrench and pull out.
The spring will click over the puchrod tube.
(Do them all of course).

If you miss that step, next time the pushrods are removed they will look like this:
IPB Image

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=233594
Elliot Cannon
Retainer springs? av-943.gif poke.gif
stugray
Retainer springs?

Or you can just glue them in with a full tube of sillycone....
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(stugray @ May 16 2014, 06:55 AM) *

Retainer springs?

Or you can just glue them in with a full tube of sillycone....

A little dab'll do ya. laugh.gif
ericoneal
Glad I rechecked these again tonight, they were nowhere near seated properly. All of them did indeed "POP" into place except for one. Very difficult to get them all of the way in.
Dave_Darling
I've even turned a screwdriver around and used the handle as a mandrel to push the tube into place. At least one of the drivers I have is just the right size to push on the shoulder of the tube.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.