Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CUDA 911's 914 Thread ! ! !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
zambezi
Check here for spray can paints. I have used them a bunch of times and they ship quick and the paint has always been a good match. I looked for L96D but could only find it under VW not Porsche, but seeing as the Karmann factory built our cars, I am sure the paints were shared.
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-...973/all-models/
bigkensteele
IMHO, your wheels look much better without the trim rings. Buy some Wurth wheel paint from Pelican and spruce them up. That will get you by until you decide what you want to do. I am partial to Mahles, as that is what I have on my car, but I am going 5 lug as soon as I find the time.

As far as power goes, you can build yourself a 2056 and still run the FI system that you have. That will give you another 25+ horsepower for not a lot of money.

Have your bumpers chromed, and you will be really close to what you wanted in the first place. However, once you get those stripes on, you may decide that the black bumpers work for you.

Very nice find - glad you ended up with this car and not the first one!!!
mepstein
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 12 2014, 08:52 PM) *

Dave, I like the wheels on that yellow one a lot.

Today I went over to a plating facility that specializes in automotive parts plating, polishing, etc.

To re-chrome the metal bands on my wheels is $80 each. Doesn't seem worth it to me, when that $$ could go towards some nicer wheels (since I would still need to find those moons like on the yellow one). JC Whitney has the band and moons, but all of their stuff is such crap.

One of the guys here PM'd me that he has some Mahles for sale. His price is good... but I wonder if shipping will be prohibitive. Anyone know what it costs to send a set of wheels across the country?

Shipping - $25/wheel. If you ask around, you should be able to find almost any type of wheel near where you live.
Cuda911
The guy with the Mahles PM'd me. His price was including shipping and seems very fair. Assuming they are in good condition, I will buy them.

Zambezi, yes, I've bought paint from those guys before, for my Turbo Beetle, and was very pleased with it. I didn't see the paint code under Porsche. You are right, I should have checked the VW codes too. I will call them to verify that it's the same.

Bigkensteel.... that's a great idea! I have a very good 914 mechanic. I will talk to him about doing that 2056 conversion. Sound perfect for my needs/wants. 25 HP more is a 25% increase over the stock 1.8, so should be pretty noticeable. I'll stop by his shop soon to talk to him about that.

Re: "Have your bumpers chromed, and you will be really close to what you wanted in the first place. However, once you get those stripes on, you may decide that the black bumpers work for you."

I checked at the chrome shop... about $450 apiece to have the bumpers chromed. You may well be right about being satisfied with the the black ones, for now anyway.

I'd like to repaint them to "freshen them up" a bit. Any suggestions on what paint to use? (specific brand and shade of black). Would I use that same paint on the rockers if I want to freshen them up too?

Another question for you guys: There is an annoying seat belt buzzer that stays on whenever the door is open. I'd like to get rid of that. Is there a fuse I can pull?
KELTY360
Since you're thinking about getting some matching silver paint, you might consider getting extra and painting your bumpers body color. It gives some nice shape to the ends of your car, instead of the black which kind of just makes the ends disappear. Not many have this style, but for the first 3 years that's how 914s without chrome bumpers were delivered. I think it would look especially good in silver.

Here's an example in Marathon Blue.

Click to view attachment
Cuda911
I thought about painting the bumpers, but thought that might look cheesy. The blue one in your pic looks good.
dlkawashima
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 12 2014, 08:35 PM) *
Any suggestions on what paint to use? (specific brand and shade of black). Would I use that same paint on the rockers if I want to freshen them up too?

Wurth satin black is supposed to be a good match. Most likely by this point about any satin black will be pretty good...

Another question for you guys: There is an annoying seat belt buzzer that stays on whenever the door is open. I'd like to get rid of that. Is there a fuse I can pull?

If you pull out the passenger's seat, you'll find the buzzer plugged in to a little panel under there. It should be obvious which part it is. Hopefully someone has already bypassed the Dreaded Seatbelt Interlock Relay that is also under there, but if not you can jumper the two big fat yellow wires that go to that same panel together. Make it a good joint, with shrink-tubing over it to keep out any dirt and/or water. That wire carries the current that triggers your starter solenoid...

--DD
Cuda911
Thanks, guys. I really like the looks of those painted bumpers. I think I will do that. Since my car is silver, it will sort of also give it the OEM "appearance group" look.

I'll hunt for that buzzer wire tomorrow.

What does the interlock relay do? Prevent the car from starting without the belts fastened? If so, someone bypassed it already.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 12 2014, 11:59 PM) *

Thanks, guys. I really like the looks of those painted bumpers. I think I will do that. Since my car is silver, it will sort of also give it the OEM "appearance group" look.

thumb3d.gif

While you're at it, lose the rear tits.
Cuda911
I believe when the rear tits are mastectomized, it leaves a hole that requires welding shut?

Have any products been designed to snap into the resulting hole. What's the easiest way to get those off?

I 100% agree, though.... the rear tits need to go.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 13 2014, 09:29 AM) *

I believe when the rear tits are mastectomized, it leaves a hole that requires welding shut?

Have any products been designed to snap into the resulting hole. What's the easiest way to get those off?

I 100% agree, though.... the rear tits need to go.

You can get a chrome carriage bolt and seal the hole without welding.

http://www.boltdepot.com/Carriage_bolts_Ch...de_5_steel.aspx
orthobiz
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 12 2014, 10:57 PM) *

IMHO, your wheels look much better without the trim rings.!!!

I agree!

Paul
Cuda911
Oh, it's just a very small hole when the tits are removed? I thought there was a big rectangle that needed a plate welded in.

I'll pull off the rings and see how it looks without 'em
rhodyguy
2 small holes for each tit. for a quick fix you can find plastic push in caps (in black) at your hardware store until you make a decision of the direction you want to take. for a resale value the bumper would be worth more with the holes left as they are. let the next owner fuss with the welding, grinding and repainting.
Tom
CUDA911,
I read the whole thread, well skimmed thru kind of, and did not see any mention of this, however here goes.
You have found a very nice car that so far is very original in style. This is becoming less and less seen as more and more guys modify their car a lot after buying them. You might give some thought to making modifications that are easily "undone" later as an original style car will bring more $$$ when you decide to move on. Original styled cars are becoming big attention getters at events also as guys who are reverting back to stock want to see how things were attached, etc. before folks started modifying them.
Nice find!! and welcome.png
Tom
Cuda911
Hi Tom,

Thanks!

Yes, I am going to keep all of my mods as "original" as possible, or as you say, make them easily reversible. I will save any parts I take off. One of the turn signal covers has some internal cracking due to age. I may get the clear/orange euro ones, but I will save the old ones. If I paint the bumper, that's easily reversible (it's not the original front one anyway). Since the Mahle wheels are correct for this car, I should have no problem swapping out the steelies.

Even if I do the big bore pistons to increase displacement, I can't see that any future buyer will mind, since I can keep the stock fuel injection system in place. I was really happy to find a car that didn't have the injectors replaced with carbs.

The "Porsche" stickers that I have ordered for the sides are period-correct, and easily removable.

My original plan was to paint the car Bahia Red. In my, as of now, three days of ownership, the silver has grown on me. I would have preferred a more "interesting" color to start with, but I have decided to keep this one the OEM color.

So yes, no crazy mods planned for this car!
ripper911
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 12 2014, 01:26 AM) *

I was just telling a friend today that it felt like driving a go-cart! smile.gif

agree.gif driving.gif pure driving enjoyment, like no other car I've driven!

With the cloth inserts in my seats it's a cross between sitting on an old couch floating down the road and a go kart with doors, depending on how you drive it.

Your car is only a few hundred earlier than mine looking at the Vin, built in the same month. biggrin.gif
Cuda911
"Your car is only a few hundred earlier than mine looking at the Vin, built in the same month."

Hey that's pretty cool!

Another question for the group, regarding what gas grade to use. I think most say to just use 87. A mechanic told me to use 91, since it will run cooler.

Opinions requested, please!
Dave_Darling
It won't necessarily run cooler on higher-octane fuel. It might, but it might not--the heat is not really related to the octane.

The car was built to run 87. You can try the higher-octane stuff and see if it makes any difference to you.

--DD
Cuda911
OK< thanks, Dave. Everything I have ever read in my life seems to indicate that if a car was designed for 87 and runs fine on 87, then paying for higher octane is just a waste of $$.

I'm in the process of reading the owner's manual from cover to cover. Just saw the oddest thing.... I guess familiar to all of you, but I never heard of anything like this in my life: the windshield washer tank is pressurized from the spare tire!!! Wow! That is simultaneously crazy and sheer genius!

I'm scheduled to take the car to my mechanic on Tuesday (June 17). I'm preparing a laundry list of items to check/fix:

1. Oil change. The oil in it looks new, but since I don't know when it was last changed, I will take care of doing that.

2. Minor transmission fluid leak. Hate spots on my driveway.

3. Minor oil weeping at rear main seal. Hate spots on my driveway.

4. Horn doesn't work. Of course, I can just use my finger to express displeasure whilst driving, but I'll see what's up with that horn.

5. General inspection. I didn't get a PPI, since I would have lost the car to another buyer if I did. I know the mechanic that did about $4,000 in repairs/servicing on it when it came out of storage in 2011, and he went through it in detail at that time. Today I went over and talked to him about the car and he gave it his "seal of approval".

I'm guessing tranny needs to come out to fix that leak, so I guess that means a transmission fluid change, which is fine with me.

Pic showing the leaks:
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 13 2014, 11:45 PM) *

I'm in the process of reading the owner's manual from cover to cover. Just saw the oddest thing.... I guess familiar to all of you, but I never heard of anything like this in my life: the windshield washer tank is pressurized from the spare tire!!! Wow! That is simultaneously crazy and sheer genius!

The pressurized windshield washer system is notorious for leaking ... especially around the steering column, so keep an eye out for that.

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 13 2014, 11:45 PM) *

4. Horn doesn't work. Of course, I can just use my finger to express displeasure whilst driving, but I'll see what's up with that horn.

Twist off the horn pad (counter clockwise) and see if the wire from the steering wheel is connected to it. It's not uncommon for there to be a problem with that connection causing the horn to honk when turning the wheel, or, worst case, an "always on" condition.
ripper911
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 14 2014, 02:45 AM) *

2. Hate spots on my driveway.

3. Hate spots on my driveway.

Don't park in the driveway.

It's going to leak.
brant
leaks and a 914 go hand in hand...
its part of the experience.
Cuda911
Ah, sounds like the early 911's. Oil stains and 911's are inseparable.

"Twist off the horn pad (counter clockwise) and see if the wire from the steering wheel is connected to it. It's not uncommon for there to be a problem with that connection causing the horn to honk when turning the wheel, or, worst case, an "always on" condition."

Thanks for the tip, I will take a look.
Sleepin
Looks like it is a speedo drive o-ring leaking...not a hard fix and not a reason to pull the trans. Find McMark and see if he is still making his double o-ring speedo drives. They fix that problem.
Cuda911
^^^ Ah, that makes sense... seller said something about an O-ring that was leaking, but I didn't know what he meant.

Dave, that was a good tip on the horn pad... I fixed the horn today!!!

Right tail light and turn signal don't work. I thought it was probably a fuse, but I checked this morning and all fuses were fine. Now, I'm keeping fingers crossed that it is the bulb.... haven't checked yet.

Today I took off the targa top and drove the 914 down to La Jolla and Seaport Village. Everywhere I went, all day long, people made comments and compliments about the car and wanted photos of it... crazy!!! Do you guys get that much attention in your 914s? I never get that many comments in either the Cayman or the 911.

Here's the oddest incident of all today:

I was in La Jolla, waiting in an alley for some friends that I was meeting. I was fiddling with the radio, and heard someone next to the driver's side say something. I looked up, and there was a scruffy, scraggle-bearded, tattooed, shirtless guy with filthy tattered pants. He was swigging whiskey from a bottle in a paper bag.

I looked up and said "what?".

He replied (in a somewhat slurred voice): "Great 914, man.... I haven't seen one of those in years." He took another swig, staggered a bit and nearly fell over, and then said: "Is that the 1800 engine? Your car is great, dude, I never see 914s any more."

Then he gave me that surfer "hang loose" hand gesture and staggered off down the alley.
ripper911
aktion035.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 14 2014, 02:45 AM) *

Not uncommon to have the hose dry up at the steering column and wet your feet.

Paul
Cuda911
^^^ My understanding is that the nozzles tend to clog up too. I haven't put any wiper fluid into the reservoir yet to try it out. Really is of very little concern. If it works... great! If not, oh well....
Mike Bellis
Now that you are a proud 914 owner...

Be prepared for many "experts" like the homeless guy commenting on your car.

1) "You know that's not a real Porsche?"
2) "You know VW built that car?"
3) "You know that car never came with a V8?" (My favorite)
4) "You know Porsche was too embarrassed of the 914 so they gave it to VW?"
5) "What is that, a Fiat?"
6) "I used to own one of those."
7) "I have one of those in my garage."
9) "You know that thing uses a Bus motor?"

And many more. I just humor these "experts" and let them tell me everything they think they know.

What a surprise when I found out my car did not come with a Chevy V8... first.gif
Cuda911
Mike Bellis: "What a surprise when I found out my car did not come with a Chevy V8"

So, are you indicating that mine doesn't either? Crap. I want a refund.

Actually, the comments have been 100% positive. I never realized how many people seem to really love this car!

When I initially started my hunt for a 914, I had never even heard of 914World, and figured it was just some odd personal quirk that I really liked 914s.

One guy even asked me if it was a brand new car, and what kind it was.

Also, I've been surprised at how many people have told me that they used to own one. After all, there were only 120,00 made total. How is it that every third person I meet seems to have owned one?

A set of Mahle wheels has been ordered from another member here, so that should make a huge difference in the appearance of my car!

Apparently, they take a longer lug bolt than the ones for my current steel wheels.

1. Anyone know the exact size and style lug bolt I need?
2. Any of you got some for sale or a good link to someone selling them. Ebay? Pelican maybe?
3. I will need center caps. Similar question: Any of you got some for sale or know a good place to buy them? I will post in the market place forum too.

Oh, my side stickers arrived yesterday!! smile.gif

Wheels and stickers that will be installed soon on my car:
rhodyguy
Nice looking wheels. They'going to look great on your car.
KELTY360
Last I knew, 914Rubber.com (Mikey914) had center caps. You can find him in the Member Vendors section of the classifieds. Great guy to deal with.
914_teener
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 15 2014, 12:57 AM) *

^^^ Ah, that makes sense... seller said something about an O-ring that was leaking, but I didn't know what he meant.

Dave, that was a good tip on the horn pad... I fixed the horn today!!!

Right tail light and turn signal don't work. I thought it was probably a fuse, but I checked this morning and all fuses were fine. Now, I'm keeping fingers crossed that it is the bulb.... haven't checked yet.

Today I took off the targa top and drove the 914 down to La Jolla and Seaport Village. Everywhere I went, all day long, people made comments and compliments about the car and wanted photos of it... crazy!!! Do you guys get that much attention in your 914s? I never get that many comments in either the Cayman or the 911.

I was in La Jolla, waiting in an alley for some friends that I was meeting. I was fiddling with the radio, and heard someone next to the driver's side say something. I looked up, and there was a scruffy, scraggle-bearded, tattooed, shirtless guy with filthy tattered pants. He was swigging whiskey from a bottle in a paper bag.

He replied (in a somewhat slurred voice): "Great 914, man.... I haven't seen one of those in years." He took another swig, staggered a bit and nearly fell over, and then said: "Is that the 1800 engine? Your car is great, dude, I never see 914s any more."

Then he gave me that surfer "hang loose" hand gesture and staggered off down the alley.

That was just Slits beer.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 16 2014, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 15 2014, 12:57 AM) *

That was just Slits beer.gif

lol-2.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 16 2014, 02:07 PM) *

Last I knew, 914Rubber.com (Mikey914) had center caps. You can find him in the Member Vendors section of the classifieds. Great guy to deal with.

Yes I had a set of these. Very nice quality. Definitely recommend them.

914rubber center caps

Cuda911
I just ordered a nice set of center caps with Porsche crests from another 914World member, so they are on the way!

Also, I cut apart the visors today and sent the metal "bones" in for the "group buy" to get them re-covered. The vinyl on the old ones was perfect, but the foam inside had degraded, so they were kind of "lumpy" looking.

Almost made me nauseous to cut up the perfectly good vinyl on my original ones! smile.gif

I still need to find a place to get the proper lug bolts for the Mahle wheels. Any suggestions?

Cuda911
Current status:

The car is at the shop now, for a general inspection.

The following items have been ordered from four fellow 914World members and should be in transit to me at the moment:

- Mahle wheels (set of 5 wheels)
- Center caps with Porsche crest
- OEM lug bolts, 16 of them
- Re-covered sun visors ( I stripped the old ones and send them in to be redone)

I'll post an update when I hear findings from the shop.
carr914
To get the Center caps on & off, get some PVC pipe pieces. Get one big enough to fot over the cap but catch the edge. Get a smaller piece to fit the inside of the cap. That way you won't dent them up in the future
zambezi
I agree. And NEVER let a tire shop remove them for you.
Cuda911
Good tips regarding the caps!!! I didn't realize that they fit so tightly into the holes in the wheel centers.

All these great tips come from you guys with experience in owning these cars.

I just recently learned that I am supposed to hold my hand up over the engine cover when releasing the catch, so that it doesn't come springing up so hard.

Also, I take my cars too a very high end tire/wheel shop. It isn't really open much to the general public.... they do wheels for the local Porsche, Mercedes, and other high-end dealers.

Pricey, but they do great work.

I had some doofus totally scratch up my wheels on another car many years ago, at a Discount Tire shop. Never again.
carr914
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 18 2014, 02:19 PM) *

Good tips regarding the caps!!! I didn't realize that they fit so tightly into the holes in the wheel centers.

All these great tips come from you guys with experience in owning these cars.

I just recently learned that I am supposed to hold my hand up over the engine cover when releasing the catch, so that it doesn't come springing up so hard.

Also, I take my cars too a very high end tire/wheel shop. It isn't really open much to the general public.... they do wheels for the local Porsche, Mercedes, and other high-end dealers.

Pricey, but they do great work.

I had some doofus totally scratch up my wheels on another car many years ago, at a Discount Tire shop. Never again.

Even a High End shop can mess up our Center Caps - they bend very easily
Cuda911
Update - 6/19/2014:

OK, got the car back from the shop today. The shop owner is a PCA officer, Chief Scrutineer, and long time member of PCA, POC, and PCCA. He owns and races 914s, and has done so for many, many years. A true 914 guru of the highest order.

To start: He said that my 914 is one of the finest examples he has ever seen in his shop... quite the compliment for the car! And, quite the testament that you guys steered me in the right direction on my 914 hunt. I am extremely grateful for all the advice you guys gave.

There was no rust on any of the undercarriage or components.

As stated above by member "Sleepin" , there was a minor transmission fluid leak that was due to a leaking speedo drive O-ring. Great diagnosis, Sleepin!!!

Had that replaced. The faulty rear right tail light was due to some minor corrosion of the bulb contact. The bulb assembly was taken out, bead-blasted, and replaced. Works fine now.

Oil/filter change.

Shifter bushing is on order.

My center caps arrived today... beautiful OEM caps with Porsche crest, in original boxes. Thanks, Orthobiz!!!!!!!!!!!

Still waiting for the wheels and lug bolts to show up, and I still need to put the Porsche stickers on the doors.

My 996 was getting lonely... giving all my attention to the 914 these days. So, I took the 996 out for a 100 mile drive today.
ripper911
That's not air-cooled! mad.gif
Cuda911
^^^ No, but I am, when I'm in it and the windows are rolled down.

So, I snuck it into my 914thread!! smile.gif
brant
Pull the rockers
Porschef
Yes, pull them rockers w00t.gif
Cuda911
Got the rocker pull planned for tomorrow! I'll post findings here.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 19 2014, 11:30 PM) *

Still waiting for the wheels and lug bolts to show up, and I still need to put the Porsche stickers on the doors.

Wheels shipped by FedEx Ground today. Probably arrive on Tuesday. That's great news from the inspection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.