Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocker Panel Removal and Inspection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swooshdave
IPB Image
Ended up jacking it up so I could get at the screws with an impact driver.

IPB Image
Top part of the rocker cover had rivets.

IPB Image
Drilled out the rivets. Couldn't decide if I should take off the sill cover but I ended up leaving it alone.

IPB Image
These proved to be my nemesis. The center one finally budged after a beating with the impact driver. On the rear screw I had to resort to a Vise Grip but broke off the head. I could never get the front one to budge.

IPB Image
About 2 lbs. of dirt and debris fell out. If you wanted quicker acceleration releasing this mess would do it. biggrin.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
After all that this is what I found. Phew. I think it looks clean. I don't think I even need to pull the other side except to release all the dirt.

IPB Image
Pop-riveted the cover back on. I have a selection of rivets and found some that worked perfectly.
Cuda911
Nice job!!.

Ha! I spent today doing the same thing! smile.gif

My pile of crud was smaller.

Mike Bellis
I found a bunch of rubber worms. They came from the years of racing; rubber peeling off the slicks. What amazed me was the fact that none of the other PO's (3) ever pulled the rockers.
swooshdave
I think most owners would never think of pulling parts off their cars.
Cuda911
^^^ That's because they don't read enough threads here. There is so much great advice on this site!
Cairo94507
Hi Swooshdave- Nice work thus far but you are only 1/2 way there. You definitely need to pull the passenger side rocker as that it where you will find trouble if it exists. The driver's side looks nice, pull the passenger side and clean it and hopefully it will be as nice.
swooshdave
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 22 2014, 06:12 AM) *

Hi Swooshdave- Nice work thus far but you are only 1/2 way there. You definitely need to pull the passenger side rocker as that it where you will find trouble if it exists. The driver's side looks nice, pull the passenger side and clean it and hopefully it will be as nice.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=238132

Let's just say I know there are problems over there so when I turn the car around I'll take a look.
Allan
PB blaster is a very good addition to your tool arsenal. I ran into the same problem with mine.
malcolm2
SAFETY NOTE: You might want to get 4 jack stands. Harbor Freight has some plastic boots for the cradles on the stands. They will help keep the car from sliding off of the stand. Metal to metal has less friction than metal (car) to vinyl (stand) boot. Good luck with it all.

You are a bit safer with the wheels still on, like you have it. But chances are you will have it on the stands for a while. blink.gif

BTW: I really like the chrome 356 wheels and caps! aktion035.gif

Clark
swooshdave
I have plenty of jack stands. There were three under there to make sure it didn't go anywhere. Plus the jack (I leave it touching the car but not taking any load).

I was wondering what those wheel were...
zambezi
Those are not 356 wheels. 356's never had 4 lugs. I think those are aftermarket chrome rims and caps, mostly marketed at the Volkswagen crowd.
swooshdave
QUOTE(zambezi @ Jun 22 2014, 07:37 PM) *

Those are not 356 wheels. 356's never had 4 lugs. I think those are aftermarket chrome rims and caps, mostly marketed at the Volkswagen crowd.

Good to know that you can use the word Volkswagen and not get banned here.

happy11.gif
cwpeden
You'll find that most of us will not represent these cars to be something they arent. Dont get me wrong, they are a Porsche.

QUOTE(swooshdave @ Jun 22 2014, 10:52 PM) *

QUOTE(zambezi @ Jun 22 2014, 07:37 PM) *

Good to know that you can use the word Volkswagen and not get banned here.

happy11.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(zambezi @ Jun 22 2014, 09:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I posted this picture a few weeks back, appropriately in the sandbox, cause I mentioned the similarity to a penthouse babe's nipple..... aktion035.gif probably why I am drawn to them.

1 respond-er said they were 356. I know you can't believe everything you read, but his are not much different...... a bit less nipply, but close enough to fool me.

and you have good eyesight, cause I don't see any lugs on post #1 pic. I would bet they have 4. confused24.gif
zambezi
I don't need to see any lugs. Porsche 356 5 lug wheels have a raised area around the oval cutouts around the rims. These rims are flat around the cutouts. Another giveaway is Porsche 356 rims have 10 oval cutouts and these only have 8. Pull a hubcap, I can guarantee there are only 4 lugs.
SirAndy
QUOTE(swooshdave @ Jun 21 2014, 10:51 PM) *
I don't think I even need to pull the other side except to release all the dirt.

Sorry to burst your rocker bubble but the other side is actually the one that is usually worse.

You started with the "good" side!
biggrin.gif
swooshdave
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 23 2014, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(swooshdave @ Jun 21 2014, 10:51 PM) *
I don't think I even need to pull the other side except to release all the dirt.

Sorry to burst your rocker bubble but the other side is actually the one that is usually worse.

You started with the "good" side!
biggrin.gif

sad.gif
swooshdave
Passenger side is fighting me. Broke the head off the back screw. Trying to save the other two.

Using a combination of PB Blaster and some freeze stuff.
swooshdave
IPB Image
SS replacement screws obtained.

Score, for those keep track is two broken heads, one loose, and three are stuck.
Cuda911
Argghh!!! I was happy that 5 of the 6 on mine were a breeze, and the last one succumbed to a shot of Liquid Wrench. But, the three right side ones were standard slots, the three left ones were Phillips. Freekin' annoying! I love those SS ones.. where did you get them? Got 6 spares?
swooshdave
I get my stuff from Tacoma Screw. They are awesome as they have a crap ton of inventory and don't even blink if you only want one washer.

I went in today and got 4 bolts and 6 screws for $3.13. SS isn't cheap.

I used to live 5 minutes from them, but last year moved farther away. Probably will stifle my SS addiction a little. Maybe. chowtime.gif
swooshdave
IPB Image
Well, one replaced.

I've still been squirting the PB on the remaining ones. If I squirt the PB up the weep holes will it fall back down onto the top of the screws and wick down?
swooshdave
Took another crack at it today. I'm about to give up on the passenger side. Maybe tackle it on the lift when we drop the motor… later this year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.